The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

1) plugged rs232 converter via serial to usb converter to pc. fixed rx to tx in a non powered loop - entered hyper terminal. nothing happened

2) plugged rs232 converter via serial to usb converter to pc. fixed rx to tx in a powered loop (from pc) - entered hyper terminal, typed Ctrl Z - no pointer appeared but the green

Which com port did you choose in HyperTerminal? Make sure it matches the Port in Device Manager

we used COM port 4, and verified that it matched in device manager.

(if there are a port next to your converter cable)

by isolating either the Motor or Head contacts. Also make sure you have a 3.3V converter and NOTa 5V converter (Read-Me-First Point #10). Check grounding (Read-Me-First Point #7).

In other words, first get your loopback sorted out before you connect it to your hdd.

we have downloaded other drivers and at least now had communication with the convertor, where both RX and TX LED's illuminate when making comms.

next step is the HDD attach. (after another test)

we have downloaded other drivers and at least now had communication with the convertor, where both RX and TX LED's illuminate when making comms.

thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif Just want to make sure: Do you see what you type on the screen of HyperTerminal when you connect Rx and Tx together and nothing when it is not connected (loopback)?

next step is the HDD attach. (after another test)

Now we will hopefully start to make progress.smile.gif Remember to only try it one step at a time.

Edited by BlouBul

Bloubul - correct. no typing appears when there is no loop attached but typing when there is.

thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

OK now we know for certain you passed the loopback test. biggrin.gif Next you can see if you can connect it to your hdd (with pcb disconnected) and see if you get a prompt with Ctrl Z.

Hello jaclaz or other people,

i tried myself to fix the LBA0 Problem. The Cable connections are OK, the Loopbacktest also, but when i try to start

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Then i get after a few seconds the answer :

DIAG Error 0000500E Process Effect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002 R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

That should mean that you did not manage to spin down. :blink:

Jaclaz, how can you tell?

I did not find any match in this forum neither in google for "process effect list".

Furthermore Jamesblond stated he has a LBA0 error. Is it necesarry to spin down in this case at all? At least Gradius description for LBA0 starts immediately with partitioning. Until now my understanding was that spind down is necessary to break the infinite loop of bsy drives (however since mine always failed busy, I have no expericene with LBA0).

I had some private conversation with JamesBlond in german language and it seems to me that his dirve has a problem whenever it really needs to access the platters. This might be a physical problem either in mechanics or electronic hardware, or wrong calibration values if the data recovery people made some changes for fun. If one of the latter is correct the role of the data recovery company is very doubtfull (considering the quote versus actual costs for recovery of a drive with physically defect mechanics).

I am not getting it.

What is the point you (or JamesBlond) are trying to raise? :unsure:

As said before it is possible (technically) that a recovery data firm "locks" the drive (intentionally or by mistake):

What the i365 guys wrote has not necessarily a connection with "mechanics problems".

I don't remember any actual quote posted by JamesBlond, so cannot give my personal opinion on this.

jaclaz

Bloubul - correct. no typing appears when there is no loop attached but typing when there is.

thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

OK now we know for certain you passed the loopback test. biggrin.gif Next you can see if you can connect it to your hdd (with pcb disconnected) and see if you get a prompt with Ctrl Z.

ok tried today, nothing. hdd was connected (with pcb isolated).

no prompt appearing with Ctrl Z :unsure:

ok tried today, nothing. hdd was connected (with pcb isolated).

no prompt appearing with Ctrl Z :unsure:

Did you try switching Tx and Rx?

Did you read FGA #4 again?

Yes, we tried switching the wires, and then switching them back too....nothing doing... our convertor has handy red and green LED's which light up (as i think we listed previously) and these do function to show us there is a connection.

But yes, we correctly identified the Rx and Tx wires. (although carterincanada and Brad's guide both differ on the correct pin layout for RX and TX on the HDD!?) :}

Still no signal after Ctrl-Z. The HDD was powered,using the 3.3v orange wire (modified from a SATA power cable). Also tried 3 x fully charged 1.1v batteries.

The PCB was not connected by an isolation of either the Motor and then the Head contacts. (tried both on differant attempts - no dice)

We verified the grounding - ok.

so any ideas? the drive did of course spin up when the Head contacts was covered, then spun down when it couldn't find the data cable.

the drive was then removed from the set up and checked in a external usb enclosure... same behavorial pattern..power on, spin up....nothing found from SATA data. The drive is located in Device Control at this stage although is listed as unreadable with 0MB.

:huh:

Yes, we tried switching the wires, and then switching them back too....nothing doing... our convertor has handy red and green LED's which light up (as i think we listed previously) and these do function to show us there is a connection.

Do you still have loopback? (do a quick test just to be sure you selected the right port in HyperTerminal and everything is still working?)

(although carterincanada and Brad's guide both differ on the correct pin layout for RX and TX on the HDD!?) :}

ohmy.gif Just goes to show that even the authors of some of the guides get confused (or he just showed which wires to connect there, which, of course, would then be correctcool.gif). That's why it is recommended to switch them anyway if it didn't work, just to be sure newwink.gif

Still no signal after Ctrl-Z. The HDD was powered,using the 3.3v orange wire (modified from a SATA power cable). Also tried 3 x fully charged 1.1v batteries.

Guess you mean converter, but yes, that is correct.

so any ideas?

I cannot really see anything wrong with the way you described it. Maybe just repeat everything again carefully, or if that still doesn't work, AND you are feeling adventurous, repeat the whole fix with your Nokia cable instead of the converter (although it might just yield the same result)confused.gif

Help me please

I have a 2 year old Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HD, that for no apparent reason stopped working yesterday. This was my main drive, and no, I do not have backups (shame on me).

The details of the drive:

ST 31500341AS, firmware CC1H.

The drive is seen intermittently by the BIOS - and when it is seen, the size is reported as 0 Mb, prompting me to consider the LBA 0 bug.

I have tried the following:

1. I have changed the data cable and the power cable, without any obvious change in behaviour.

2. Seatools for DOS - short and long DST. Both tests giving me the error that the drive is not responding to commands.

3. I have constructed a TTL cable using a USB to TTL converted (checked the driver, looks like it is using a FTDI IC).

3.1. I performed a loop back test on the cable, confirming that it works.

3.2. I have checked the baud rate, parity and stop bits, flow control and confirmed to be correct

3.3. I have connected the RX to the drive's TX, and the TX to the drive's RX, and the other way around. I connected the GND of the cable to the GND of the drive.

3.4. I am using windows 7, with an XP version of hyperterminal.

3.5. The drive is powered up

3.6. The PCB is isolated (I know this is not part of the solution of the LBA 0 bug, but seeing that the drive is intermittently seen by the BIOS, I did consider the BSY bug as well.)

3.7. I have confirmed the voltages between the RX and GND pins as well as the TX and the GND pins - both reading 3.4 V

None of the combinations under 3 seem to be able to communicate with the drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello ,sorry for my poor english , i have a new problem with this Hard disk st31000333as firmware sd3b, after complete the guide of lba0 and bsy , with this result :

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.125 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 8.634 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

the hard disk is still in lba0 , can i write different command to resolve the problem ? my hard disk was a st31000333as sd35 firmware , the first time i've the problem i have resolvevd this the giude and i've udgrade firmware to the new sd3b that is the last .

Can you help me?

Hello ,sorry for my poor english , i have a new problem with this Hard disk st31000333as firmware sd3b, after complete the guide of lba0 and bsy , with this result :

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

the hard disk is still in lba0 , can i write different command to resolve the problem ? my hard disk was a st31000333as sd35 firmware , the first time i've the problem i have resolvevd this the giude and i've udgrade firmware to the new sd3b that is the last .

Can you help me?

Hi marchy70,

That is strangeblink.gif, AFAIK SD3B is suppose to be immune to this bug (as it is after SD1A). You are the first report of problems after update.

You can try the extra (optional) commands given by Aviko and see if it makes a difference.

cheers again bloubul, I tried switching the tx and rx with no joy, i have the grd going from usb to batteries, then from batteries to HD, is that right?

See here for sketch.

Also on my CA-42 cable i have a green wire left, is that data gnd? should i do anything with that.

See link in FGA #6 to determine which wires is which in your Nokia converter. Do NOT use colors, but count pins on Nokia end of cable that you cut off (hope you kept it newwink.gif )

hi bloubul, sorry to bother you yet again, heres my new problem ;) the last cable i had was a duff cable so iam now using a dku5, its working, i get a loopback test, but when i ctrl z i get F3 T> but then it freezes and i cant type anything, i have tried several times, once i managed to type /2 then it froze again, tried loads of times, freezes, any suggestions please, thanks