The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Nokia converters normally do not need to be powered, try without powering the converter (see if loopback works)

Not sure about it being seen in Disk management (or in your friends bios), might not be BSY.

Try the procedure once more without powering the converter, and if the same, let's wait to see what jaclaz says (might be something else).

I don't think anyone will like what jaclaz may say. :ph34r:

jaclaz has the impression of looking at a bunch of headless chickens running around. :w00t:

corkyblue (with very little of due respect :no:) seems like been panicking, which is EXACTLY what is not advised.

His friend seems like being EITHER well beyond "our" level of knowledge OR a completely unexperienced n00b pretending to be an expert.

NEITHER seems like having read (or understood) the main parts (let alone the trivial ones) of the FGA and of the read-me-first.

Bloubul, this time with ALL due respect :yes:, seems like having forgotten (hint,hint) how Nokia hacking literature actually recommends having the phone battery FULLY charged before attempting anything with those phones.

All in all, jaclaz has very little to say as the amount of confusing, probably misleading and definitely partially incorrect info corkyblue posted is simply overwhelming.

@ corkyblue

This reply makes NO sense:

4. yes seen in bios on freinds pc (his is XP) not on mine (mine is vista)

The BIOS "comes into play WELL BEFORE *any* OS.

It DOES NOT matter which OS you have installed on your PC, a disk drive is EITHER seen in BIOS or it is NOT.

Known possibilities are:

1. no detection from BIOS (i.e. being NOT accessible because constantly in BSY state)
  2. having 0 capacity (LBA0)
  3. having a "random" capacity (different from it's real one)

Basically, posting on this thread ONLY makes sense IF you are in condition #1 OR #2 above, you seem like being in condition #3 :( or a "strange" mix between #1 and #3 .

The firmware "ZZ7L" DOES NOT exist (AFAIK).

As I see it there are two possibilities, the problem on your hard disk is seemingly outside the scope of this thread and beyond "our" knowledge and EITHER:

• it really had this "unknown" problem
  • this problem was caused (intentionally or by mistake) by the recovery company

Now, maybe we can try and help, BUT you need to start trying to cooperate by:

• replying to questions EXACTLY
  • provide EXACT descriptions of what you are doing/you did
  • AVOID going off on a tangent ( I do challenge you to find ANYWHERE on this thread suggesting AIDA as a test method)

Let's start again from scratch, OK?

FORGET about the drive, just do a loopback test on the adapter (Binary, it either works or it does not).

Try powering it "with molex" and WITHOUT powering it, you should "see" the difference.

Report.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks for the link, I'll look at it when I'm at home. As I said I gave up searching. So maybe I can sell the drive for some bugs or use it as back up drive if I can update the firmware.

I don't want to argue with you about the difference of a minimum timespan and an average, it will lead to nowhere ;-).

I think I stumbled somewhere about an explanation that there are more than one failure mode of the harddrive caused by the SW (eg. there was a Segate ICT or EOL test pattern dependend issue and some other stuff). Based on my usage (the PC is not booted daily) and the short (almost every time decreasing) MTTF of my drive I would say the normal counter overflow theory is no explanation for the failure of my drive. The drive is what some called "locked in", that means I have to power up with heads & motor attached and than quickliy unattach the heads after first reponse from the drive on the serial line. -Maybe this makes a difference.

Still instead of using some plastic cards, I first loosen all PCB screws (to avoid bending/stress on PCB) and than quickly unscrew the screw above the head connector at the right time.

But I also won't argue if it is more likely to damage the PCB with a plastic card or to damage the heads because of paritial head connector contact during too slow screwing ;-). -Can just say my drive survived the proceduer, and also survived 5V TTL (thanks to the serial reaistors in the serial line on HDD PCB)..

Regards

Chilli

I don't think anyone will like what jaclaz may say. :ph34r:

jaclaz has the impression of looking at a bunch of headless chickens running around. :w00t:

All in all, jaclaz has very little to say as the amount of confusing, probably misleading and definitely partially incorrect info corkyblue posted is simply overwhelming.

Yes, I suspected he might say something like that (actually, I expected worse :ph34r: ) Thanks for the reality check ;)

The firmware "ZZ7L" DOES NOT exist (AFAIK).

From what I could gather, the firmware shown as 77ZL could be because of an incorrect attempt at unbricking That is why I tried to understood what exactly happened during the first attempted fix, but since there was apparently no comms with the hdd during that, it was probably done by the data recovery "experts" :ph34r:

Apparently it can be forced flashed to a later version after the fix.

Funny firmware version is not a major issue and can be flashed to SD1A/B after the fix.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=892154

Yes the CA-42 cable is the mystery part for me (and i know it shouldn't be) my freind said thtat this cable comes into play later in the procedure...in other words when we get the data back...but i couldnt understand quite how it comes into the set-up...i know i sound a doofus :unsure:

That is where the problem lies. The way understand your situation, you got a converter that didn't work originally (although you do seem to have loopback now with that converter) and replaced it with a Nokia CA-42 data cable (but forgot to replace it and are still using the original converter). :blink:

Based on my usage (the PC is not booted daily) and the short (almost every time decreasing) MTTF of my drive I would say the normal counter overflow theory is no explanation for the failure of my drive.

Yep, and this means that it is affected by *something else*, and obviously the "next failure prediction" deriving from issue A cannot be taken into account at all because the drive fails earlier than expected because of issue B.

In other words we have a theory that may (or may not) apply to a given problem but that SURELY won't apply to ANOTHER problem.

jaclaz

Corkyblue. update and report concerning St3640232as hard drive and attempted repair.. :hello:

current : since the drive returned from the data recovery firm.

1) plugged rs232 converter via serial to usb converter to pc. fixed rx to tx in a non powered loop - entered hyper terminal. nothing happened

2) plugged rs232 converter via serial to usb converter to pc. fixed rx to tx in a powered loop (from pc) - entered hyper terminal, typed Ctrl Z - no pointer appeared but the green

(rx) light flickered. no red (tx) light and no responce in hyperterminal - this is why we're not too sure if the communication worked.

3) took the loop out and fixed the tx cable (yellow) to the rx pin on the hd. added a rx cable (red) and plugged that into the tx pin of hd (as per carterincanada's diagram) and

added sata power to drive. also added the cardboard to insulate the motor from the circuit board. The red light (tx on rs232) shone the moment the power went on. this worried

us. turned off. rechecked leads. everything looked right. powered up - red light continued. tried hyperterminal - no change.

4 thinking that the two cables (tx and rx) were inverted we swapped them around. this time no red light and when using hyperterminal the green light flickered each time a key

was pressed but wouldn't accept ctrl z or any text.

5) signed and had a cup of tea. this is were we leave the repair script and double checked the basics.

6) powered down. removed card, tightened hex screws. removed rs232 leads. fitted hd into pc - not the orignal host pc. added data and power cables. booted up. the drive

appeared in the bios as : st3640323as - it's proper name. after a longer than usual windows (xp pro) boot up. windows claimed to have found new hardware, a disk drive. after a

few more minutes it updated it's information to say it had found ST3640232as. it didn't appear in my computer - not all that surprised. checked disk management and it didn't

show there. powered down.

7) returned hd to original host pc. hd not found in bios. after window boot up (vista), pc claimed again to find new hardware, gave the drive name st3640232as. nothing appeared

in "my computer" but in disk management the drive was there as an 'unknown' disk, 'not initialised' and it's capacity was zero. didn't ititialise it.

8) the drive itself spin up as any other drive would - no ticks, no spindowns but no sound of anything being accessed.

9) that was our week end.

10) haven't used nokia cable at all yet.

And yep noob and doofus are quite apt for us. :wacko:

1) plugged rs232 converter via serial to usb converter to pc. fixed rx to tx in a non powered loop - entered hyper terminal. nothing happened

2) plugged rs232 converter via serial to usb converter to pc. fixed rx to tx in a powered loop (from pc) - entered hyper terminal, typed Ctrl Z - no pointer appeared but the green

Which com port did you choose in HyperTerminal? Make sure it matches the Port in Device Manager (if there are a port next to your converter cable)

Also see FGA #4 and 5 just for good measure

4. Ctrl Z doesn't work...

Did you do a Loopback test? (See Read-Me-First Point #8)

A Loopback test will tell you if your converter can talk to itself. You can't expect your converter to talk to your HDD if it cannot talk to itself. :blink: A successful Loopback test will show you that you have a working converter that is set up correctly and you have correctly identified the Rx and Tx wires (they might be the wrong way around, but that is not critical at this stage) :D

After a successful Loopback test, you can connect your converter to your HDD. If you still do not get a signal after Ctrl-Z, try switching Tx and Rx around. Make sure your HDD is powered. Make sure your PCB is not connected by isolating either the Motor or Head contacts. Also make sure you have a 3.3V converter and NOTa 5V converter (Read-Me-First Point #10). Check grounding (Read-Me-First Point #7).

5. My Loopback test failed. What is wrong?

Make sure you have the right driver installed. Is your converter seen as a port in your Device Manager and HyperTerminal? Make sure you have correctly identified the Rx and Tx wires. Does your converter need to be powered? Did you set up your HyperTerminal session correctly? If all that fails, your converter might not be working.

In other words, first get your loopback sorted out before you connect it to your hdd.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi everyone,

iam in a spot of bother, i have read loads of this topic and iam trying to fix barracuda 7200.11 with the bsy fix,

firstly what iam using is a ca42 made in china IL4008321 5 wire, white and blue tx rx , black ground, 3 1.2v batteries wired to orange and gnd black from ca42, separate sata power supply.

i think i did a loop back test ( i connected blue and white together and got type in the hyper terminal)

My problem is when i powered on the hard drive it stopped so i then plugged in the ca42 usb and got a blue screen :( it said ser2pl.sys dumping physical memory,

PLEASE could someone help me see what iam doing wrong, i would be greatful. cheers in advance.

iam in a spot of bother, i have read loads of this topic and iam trying to fix barracuda 7200.11 with the bsy fix,

firstly what iam using is a ca42 made in china IL4008321 5 wire, white and blue tx rx , black ground, 3 1.2v batteries wired to orange and gnd black from ca42, separate sata power supply.

i think i did a loop back test ( i connected blue and white together and got type in the hyper terminal)

Good.smile.gif That is a successful loopback test.thumbup.gif

My problem is when i powered on the hard drive it stopped

What stopped?

...so i then plugged in the ca42 usb and got a blue screen :( it said ser2pl.sys dumping physical memory,

PLEASE could someone help me see what iam doing wrong, i would be greatful. cheers in advance.

ser2pl.sys is usually related to the usb to serial driver. Are you using original drivers? Also try it without externally powering your Nokia cable (might just work)

or just try it again

Good.smile.gif That is a successful loopback test.thumbup.gif

My problem is when i powered on the hard drive it stopped

What stopped?

...so i then plugged in the ca42 usb and got a blue screen :( it said ser2pl.sys dumping physical memory,

ser2pl.sys is usually related to the usb to serial driver. Are you using original drivers? Also try it without externally powering your Nokia cable (might just work)

or just try it again

thanks for the reply BlouBul

What stopped? my harddrive stopped whir clicking.

I'm using the drivers that came on a disk with the ca42 cable.

when I remove the batteries I dont get any type in the hyper terminal.

hhhm seems iam stuck

hhhm seems iam stuck

Ok use batteries then. Did it happened only once? What happen if you first connect your usb and then put power on hdd?

hhhm seems iam stuck

Ok use batteries then. Did it happened only once? What happen if you first connect your usb and then put power on hdd?

i only did once as i was worried of losing data. no blue screen but not able to ctrl z in the hyper terminal (putty) and a non flashing green cursor. but the drive was still making the whirrrrclick noise, and to add to that oddly my sound has gone yet if i let my mic on i can hear that :} EDIT sound working after reboot (terminal had stalled)

Edited by r3nni32000

Hello jaclaz or other people,

i tried myself to fix the LBA0 Problem. The Cable connections are OK, the Loopbacktest also, but when i try to start

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Then i get after a few seconds the answer :

DIAG Error 0000500E Process Effect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002 R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

That should mean that you did not manage to spin down. :blink:

Jaclaz, how can you tell?

I did not find any match in this forum neither in google for "process effect list".

Furthermore Jamesblond stated he has a LBA0 error. Is it necesarry to spin down in this case at all? At least Gradius description for LBA0 starts immediately with partitioning. Until now my understanding was that spind down is necessary to break the infinite loop of bsy drives (however since mine always failed busy, I have no expericene with LBA0).

I had some private conversation with JamesBlond in german language and it seems to me that his dirve has a problem whenever it really needs to access the platters. This might be a physical problem either in mechanics or electronic hardware, or wrong calibration values if the data recovery people made some changes for fun. If one of the latter is correct the role of the data recovery company is very doubtfull (considering the quote versus actual costs for recovery of a drive with physically defect mechanics).

Regards

Chilli

... but not able to ctrl z in the hyper terminal (putty) and a non flashing green cursor...

Try switching Rx and Tx around. Also see FGA #4 (excerpt just above your first post)

cheers again bloubul, I tried switching the tx and rx with no joy, i have the grd going from usb to batteries, then from batteries to HD, is that right?

Also on my ca42 cable i have a green wire left, is that data gnd? should i do anything with that.

thanks in advance

here what i have so far

bsyfix.jpg

Edited by r3nni32000

cheers again bloubul, I tried switching the tx and rx with no joy, i have the grd going from usb to batteries, then from batteries to HD, is that right?

See here for sketch.

Also on my CA-42 cable i have a green wire left, is that data gnd? should i do anything with that.

See link in FGA #6 to determine which wires is which in your Nokia converter. Do NOT use colors, but count pins on Nokia end of cable that you cut off (hope you kept it newwink.gif )

Edited by BlouBul