The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

[*]once the drive is unbricked (and WITHOUT ANY firmware upgrade) it won't re-brick itself spontaneously for at least three months of daily use (six to twelve month being proven to be the most likely cases)

I can not agree with this. Just unbricked my drive last week for the 4th time. I undbricked it the last time two months ago.

However, since I did not solve the Fujitsu Siemens firmware issue (and to be honest I'm not interrested to look further in this topic anymore), I have a replacement drive at home since Tuesday, that just waits until I figured out how to solve the 4kByte sector alignement issue, before I send my seagate drive into rent.

And, ofcourse, the replacement drive is no seagate drive.

Regards

Chilli

[*]once the drive is unbricked (and WITHOUT ANY firmware upgrade) it won't re-brick itself spontaneously for at least three months of daily use (six to twelve month being proven to be the most likely cases)

I can not agree with this. Just unbricked my drive last week for the 4th time. I undbricked it the last time two months ago.

Well, maybe not strictly "at least" three months, but if your hdd bricked three more times in the 14 months since you fixed it the first time in Jan'10, it is 14/3=4.66 months. Thus on average it bricked every 4 months and twenty days which IS longer than the three months jaclaz said. It also depends on how many times you power cycle the drive and can't be exactly quantfied.

However, since I did not solve the Fujitsu Siemens firmware issue (and to be honest I'm not interrested to look further in this topic anymore),

Did you look here? http://support.seagate.com/firmware/fts_drive_check_en.html

Well, maybe not strictly "at least" three months, but if your hdd bricked three more times in the 14 months since you fixed it the first time in Jan'10, it is 14/3=4.66 months. Thus on average it bricked every 4 months and twenty days which IS longer than the three months jaclaz said. It also depends on how many times you power cycle the drive and can't be exactly quantfied.

Sure, three months is something intended as "NOT IMMEDIATELY" and "NOT TOMORROW" it may also depend on the number of (other) problems the drive may have AND by the actual number of entries written to the log.

Just as an example if a "good drive" writes just one entry in the log at each boot, if some other events writes at each boot other three events, and you boot once daily, you will reach a multiple of 256 earlier, like 256/4=64 days, that do sound a lot like two months.

Some hypothesis explaining the three months (or 106 reboots) possibilities:

jaclaz

That should mean that you did not manage to spin down. :blink:

See here:

http://vermeulen.ca/computer-harddrives.html

Try if this changes anything.

WHICH guide/method are you following?

I don't recall any "v4" command in the guides used :unsure:

jaclaz

Hello Jaclaz,

now i tried this from your link "http://vermeulen.ca/computer-harddrives.html"

After ...

F3 T>/8

F3 8>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.161 msecs

F3 8>

F3 8>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 9.250 secs

F3 8>/1

F3 1>N1

I got allways the same words:

LED:000000CC FAddr:00243FCF

In my case : Is there any hope to solve the problem, or get it into the garbage ?

I google for the words :

DIAG Error 0000500E Process Effect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002 R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

And i found on "http://forum.hddguru.com/seagate-issue-repair-and-breaks-again-t13900.html" the v4.....

Barracuda 7200.11... do I have this same problem??

I have a internal Barracuda 7200.11...Firmware SD33 .... Manufac: 11/2008.....and for some reason it refuses to start up when connected via SATA at bootup..

I can hear the drive actually spinning to start with, then it seems to reset itself and try over again, on an endless unsuccessful cycle. it does not want to initiate...however im guessing i would not hear these sounds if it was not spinning up at all?...

this text seems to match my problem:

Reason for the Seagate 7200.11 Failure

This problem is caused by a firmware issue that sets the drive's "event log" pointer to an invalid location. This is detected by the drive during power-up initialisation, and the drive switches to fail-safe mode to prevent further corruption and loss of user data. Once the failure has occurred user data becomes inaccessible.

During power up, if the Event Log count is at 320, or any multiple of (320 + Nx256), and if a particular fill pattern is present in the factory reserved area of the drive, the firmware will incorrectly allow the Event Log pointer to increment past the end of the Event Log data structure.

This error is detected during initialisation and returns an "Assert Failure", which causes the drive to enter it's fail-safe mode. When the drive enters this mode further updates to the event log counter are impossible as the same results occur at each power-cycle.

The problem can only occur if a power cycle initialization occurs when the Event Log is at 320 or a multiple of 256 thereafter. Once a drive is in this state, the user will not be able to resolve/recover existing failed drives.

...but i am not sure...plus i dont know how to get a diagnosis?!?

The drive resides in a clean host system as a back-up drive for data, and has not been dropped or had any form of stress....it just stopped working and disappeared form my computer.

I have contacted Seagate but its an OEM so they will not help me any further....The OEM would not help as i beleive its out of waaranty and even if it was still under, then they would only offer a replacement...which of course, i do not want.....i need the data only - this drive has important stuff and for the record the £600GBP i have been qouted from data recovery is too much...

any help/advice is very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Corky :P

ok guys ive performed the fix as per listed here and now the drive is spinning more normally than before...

it loaded the drivers and said it was installed and the device was working properly

still no in My COmputer though...

however although its telling me in disk management that it is 'unknown' and 'Not initialized' this is strange as its obviously not a new disk...it ghas my data on it. is it ok to go ahead and initialize? it says something of partioning which worries me that it might overwrite my data or am i being a jack a** worrying there?!

Corky

ok guys ive performed the fix as per listed here and now the drive is spinning more normally than before...

it loaded the drivers and said it was installed and the device was working properly

however although its telling me in disk management that it is 'unknown' and 'Not initialized' this is strange as its obviously not a new disk...it ghas my data on it. is it ok to go ahead and initialize? it says something of partioning which worries me that it might overwrite my data or am i being a jack a** worrying there?!

Normally after the fix, it is exactly as it was before it bricked with all the data and partitions like before . Did you get something like this:

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

Is it seen in BIOS now. and if it is, as what size?

How are you connecting to your computer now - still as an internal hdd via SATA or as an external USB? :unsure:

And NO, do not partition or overwrite anything now you are right to worry about that, let's first try to find out what is wrong.

Edited by BlouBul

Normally after the fix, it is exactly as it was before it bricked with all the data and partitions like before . Did you get something like this:

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

Is it seen in BIOS now. and if it is, as what size?

How are you connecting to your computer now - still as an internal hdd via SATA or as an external USB? :unsure:

And NO, do not partition or overwrite anything now you are right to worry about that, let's first try to find out what is wrong.

no its not being seen at all in BIOS, and its connected as a internal HDD.

That means the unbricking was unsuccessful :no:

Did you get something like this during the unbricking:

What exactly did you do to unbrick it?

Were there any strange error messages?

Do you have a log file of your HyperTerminal session?

Maybe repeat the whole procedure carefully again and save the log file.

Edited by BlouBul

That means the unbricking was unsuccessful :no:

Did you get something like this during the unbricking:

What exactly did you do to unbrick it?

Were there any strange error messages?

Do you have a log file of your HyperTerminal session?

Maybe repeat the whole procedure carefully again and save the log file.

well, the drive was sent to a data recovery for a free examination....upon its return i have noticed that the firmware has been changed....this has meant as i put before that the behavious of the drive has changed a bit...does changing the firmware though mess the data?? why would they do that staright away??

i just didnt go with thier qoute to carry out the recovery as they wanted £300.

i figured could attempt the fix,

however, i have the right cables im assuming...the actual HDD wasn't powering up at all during the first part (the hyperterminal part)

Ok, the drives are 100%. :w00t::thumbup

I didn't loss anything, it went back to it were before BSY error (and I almost had a heart attack!).

This is a direct guide for BSY error, for details and more, check the 1st msg on this topic.

I received the stuff at 14:30h today as you can see here:

fix01.jpg

The one circled in red isn't necessary at all. In fact, is so tiny to connect those pins on Seagate, I was forced to give up on those plastics.

Here is the kit fully assembled it took me 20min, mounting those cables is really a pain:

fix02.jpg

Another angle:

fix03.jpg

With HDD connected (note I giving up on plastic connectores [circled in red on 1st photo):

fix04.jpg

The whole stuff complete to fire up:

fix05.jpg

And on this photo (above) is the TRICK here, see that little paper card (CR2032) ?

Yes! Just unscrew those around, and put a paper card or something to isolate the area (is the spin motor) like plastic, don't use anything that is an electric-conductor, after that you can turn ON everything.

You can work with just 1 screw, like on this photo (square in red):

fix06.jpg

On terminal you'll see nothing, just press CTRL+Z. And you'll get F3 T> prompt.

With PCB disconnected from HDA with a paper card (or similar), you'll see:

On terminal press CTRL+Z:

F3 T>

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>

Wait 5sec and remove the paper card, this will connect the PCB to HDA (spin motor), but since is in Spin Down state (from cmd), you'll feel nothing.

Now screw just enough to make a good contact between PCB and HDA (be real careful here, don't drop the screw, just be calm, relax!).

Then press CTRL+Z again:

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.457 secs (if you get this msg you did everything fine until here)

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T> <<< At this step you'll need to POWER OFF your HD for 10sec, and then POWER ON again. By power off, remove the SATA power (not PCB!).

When done, press CTRL+Z.

F3 T>

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 <<< This command takes a little over a minute to complete!

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

You did it! Congratulations! :ph34r:

Just turn off everything, and put your HDD on your lovely PC. :thumbup

Keep in mind TX and RX from Seagate are exactly like that, but on Seagate side.

Connect it this way:

PC (TX) > RX on Seagate

PC (RX) > TX on Seagate

The wires was inverted to me and I didn't get nothing, so I just reverted and finally got a terminal answer.

Gradius

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/01.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/02.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...c/connector.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/05.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/04.jpg

As far as i know...i have all of the cables as Gradius instructed...but my problem is actually powering up the HDD....although i dont have the little battery in the pictures here.....just realised.... is there a way around not using the battery?

As far as i know...i have all of the cables as Gradius instructed...but my problem is actually powering up the HDD....although i dont have the little battery in the pictures here.....just realised.... is there a way around not using the battery?

<sigh> I thought you already did the procedure :no:

Let us start at the very beginning. Did you do a loopback test? See FGA no. 3 and 4. Just for good measure, you can also read the rest of the FGA as well as the Read-Me-First as you obviously missed quite a few important parts (#11 deals with powering the converter). Then also read the guide by CarterinCanada a few times. Next time you report that you did the fix, make sure you followed that guide and got the expected responses. I am really flabbergasted that you actually reported a fix before and now come with these questions :o:no:

PS. and next time you quote a post, don't quote the whole post (especially if it is a long post), but only the relevant parts.

Edited by BlouBul

i figured could attempt the fix,

however, i have the right cables im assuming...the actual HDD wasn't powering up at all during the first part (the hyperterminal part)

Missed this post..

Did you plug in the SATA power?

I am assuming you did get a response in Hyperterminal (which you would not if no power was connected), what happened when you typed Z (enter) to spin down the drive and U (enter) to spin up the drive?.

<sigh> I thought you already did the procedure :no:

Let us start at the very beginning. Did you do a loopback test? See FGA no. 3 and 4. Just for good measure, you can also read the rest of the FGA as well as the Read-Me-First as you obviously missed quite a few important parts (#11 deals with powering the converter). Then also read the guide by CarterinCanada a few times. Next time you report that you did the fix, make sure you followed that guide and got the expected responses. I am really flabbergasted that you actually reported a fix before and now come with these questions :o:no:

PS. and next time you quote a post, don't quote the whole post (especially if it is a long post), but only the relevant parts.

yeah my bad, after a very sleepless night we're attempting this today again, i'd also like to add that during the free examination by the data recovery co. they actually did change the firmware ......has been changed to ZZ7L ... i found this out using Seatools...where for the record the drive has also failed the SMART test.

will be posting later today the latest,

thanks bloubal

yeah my bad, after a very sleepless night we're attempting this today again, i'd also like to add that during the free examination by the data recovery co. they actually did change the firmware ......has been changed to ZZ7L ... i found this out using Seatools...where for the record the drive has also failed the SMART test.

will be posting later today the latest,

OK, let me just understand exactly what you did as the reports are very conflicting...

• 1. Did you do a loopback test?
    2. Did you get a response in Hyperterminal when you issued commands?

If the response to these questions are "YES", then your converter is powered and your hdd as well and you do not need to worry about that. If not, we have to look for the problem.

Funny firmware version is not a major issue and can be flashed to SD1A/B after the fix.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=892154

Edited by BlouBul