The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Are you sure you properly connected your hdd again before typing "U"? Did you properly tighten the screws to ensure good contact?

I think I'm doing it correctly.

I tried completely removing PCB board as well as using card trick. After I reconnect the PCB board, I hold it tight and then tighten the screws pretty good. I cleaned the contacts. But nothing changed.

My concern is the quiet "ticing" sound, I'll try recording it tonight and posting here.

Could it be the cable. I'm thinking that since I was able to connect and perform the "Z" command then it shouldn't be the cable.

I'm not sure what else I can try.

Thank you very much.

See if anything here helps:

Well Folks every guy who has Seagate 7200.11 & having problem must have read the very ultra famouse Gradius post and yes thats the right one which solves the issue ...

But there are lot of people ( WolfDie, mrkimrkonja, jackcaver)within the same post who tried Gradius solution and still had the error "Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008"

Even I had the same error but I saw something else on some other posts and finally came to conclusion that to solve the issue it requires more than cleaning the contact ... yes cleaning the contact is the real solution but how to clean those contacts

I mean it CLEANING THE CONTACT IS THE REAL SOLUTION But how to do that ( Ithink pichi or somebody else tried to CRY out that cleaning the contact is the real solution and it was )..

1. You must have ur sister's or girlfriend's nail polish thinner and a needle..

Deep the cotton bud generously in the thinner and then apply it on the head contacts on HDD circuit board post-283604-126850150341_thumb.jpgso that there is thin layer of thinner. Keep this for abt minute before the thinner gets evaporated apply another layer of thinner continue this 3-4 times and then using the needle gently scratch the contacts you should see the NEW SHINING in the contact post scracthing them...Rub off all the thinner and apply the thinner again and brush it gently using the cotton bud ...

Post this apply thinnner for the head contacts on HDD post-283604-126850160232_thumb.jpg.. but out here u need to just brush it .. take care that the thinner doesnt enters the spring gaps on head contact on HDD

Dry the ciruit and HDD for 1/2 n hour and try the entire GRADIUS solution again () it should work,

Even if this doesnt works then u shld the check the connectivity on the ciruit board to nearest circuit element (capacitor, resistor etc.)

See replies also. Sorry cannot give direct link as I have to access via proxy that confuse the living daylights out of links.

Also here (page 146 of this thread) Click on curved arrow top left of quote to go there:

SHORT STORY

===========

I suspect the hard drives that are making this exact sound do not actually have a '0 LBA' or 'BSY' error at all since I think it is more of a mechanical problem to do with the drive being unable to spin up. That means trying to clean the header and motor contacts (as outlined in "How to solve Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008 FIX") will NOT solve the problem, but don't let me stop you from trying.

Essentially all I did to make the drive spin up again was to tilt it onto it's side (from horizontal/flat) while it was powered up and trying to spin up hence causing the beep-buzz noise.

As soon as the drive was in the vertical position I was very surprised to hear the sound of the disc spinning up like normal! :w00t:

Ofcourse I had done some other things beforehand but I don't know if they actually contributed or not so I will outline the steps I took in the Long Story below.

I've since managed to backup all the data from the affected drive and after updating the firmware I ran SeaTools for Windows with the results for both 'Long Drive Self Test' and 'Long Generic' tests coming back as FAILED. This may or may not be the same case for everyone, the point being to test the drive if you can so that if there are any errors you may be able to RMA the HDD if required. :}

If your drive returns errors in SeaTools but no "Fail Info icon" appears next to help in the toolbar (which happened to me), you can manually find the code in a 'ABCD1234.log' file (actual file name would be the serial number of your hard drive as seen in SeaTools and also on the HDD label) located in Program Files\Seagate\SeaTools for Windows.

EDIT: Here is link

Edited by BlouBul

i havent actually buy it. i kinda made it. i use a ST232 so there is no installation CD

But to WHAT is it connected?

If to a serial port on your mainboard, you need NOT any driver but the standard Windows ones.

You can (and should) performa loopback test to the actual serial port, before.

Check links in point #6 #8 of the read-me-first:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

BlouBul yes if i remeber correctly. but now i use an other computer the one i used then doesnt exhist any more. Hoever i tried connecting the converter to another pc i have and it had the same problem. couldnt find the drivers...

jaclaz i use a RS232 to USB cable. the same one i used the first time. I have a cable from RS232 to RS232 too.

how do i do a loopback tesr to the serial port?

Edited by thanasis20

jaclaz i use a RS232 to USB cable. the same one i used the first time. I have a cable from RS232 to RS232 too.

Look, that auto-built thingy you posted a photo of is a RS-232 to TTL adapter.

WHAT you connect it to?

As in EITHER:

1. a RS-232 (COM port) interface physically soldered to your PC's motherboard
  2. a USB to RS-232 cable adapter/coverter

You may understand that:

1. OS->COM driver (ALREADY on your system)->COM (RS-232) port->your converter->TTL
  2. OS->USB generic drivers (ALREADY on your system)->specific USB to RS-232 converter cable driver->COM driver (ALREADY on your system)->Virtual COM (RS-232) port->your converter->TTL

in the first case you need NO particular driver installed, in the second case, you need one.

how do i do a loopback tesr to the serial port?

You READ how to do it? :unsure:

Check links in point #6 #8 of the read-me-first:

OK, my bad, I gave you a reference to #6 while it was #8 :blushing: (corrected previous post), but finding it shouldn't have been that difficult :whistle:, and you should know the read-me-first by heart, by now.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

guys im about to kill my self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i finally was able to connect the hard drive to hyperterminal

i put all the commands BUT just before i put the command for the partionformat the RX AND TX cables must have moved. the result of the command was similar but in the end it wasn't saying the 10%

........ i made a full format of the drive.... :(:}:no::wacko::blink::unsure::realmad:

please tell me there is a way to bring them back. please please please im so desperated

can i use nero recovery tool or anything similar????????????

........ i made a full format of the drive....

Describe EXACTLY WHAT you have done like commands issued, Operating System you were using (if I get it right that you formatted form an OS) or describe EXACTLY what you have done and the EXACT error messages/whatever you got.

please tell me there is a way to bring them back. please please please im so desperated

No matter how desperate you are, it's pretty much binary, either it is possible or it is not (sorry :() it depends on what you did EXACTLY.

Review this:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

can i use nero recovery tool or anything similar????????????

NO.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

First of all i would like to apologise because im really stupid. when i put te HD back on the pc i didnt notice that it was booting fromthe second HD i have. I changed the boot priority and now all are back in place.

Secondly, i'd like to thank you for all your help and quickly response.

oh and one last question. Do you think it will be better to update the firmwire on the HD or just by a new one? I'm asking because i read somewhere that on the 500GB HDs the new firmwire might destroy them...Is it true?

First of all i would like to apologise because im really stupid. when i put te HD back on the pc i didnt notice that it was booting fromthe second HD i have. I changed the boot priority and now all are back in place.

Don't worry, these things happen in the best of families ;) Glad you managed to fix it :)

oh and one last question. Do you think it will be better to update the firmwire on the HD or just by a new one? I'm asking because i read somewhere that on the 500GB HDs the new firmwire might destroy them...Is it true?

Well, if I also had lots of money to spend, I would just buy a whole new computer with the highest specs and biggest hdd available :D, if I do not have that luxury, I would stick with what I have. Do not believe everything you read *somewhere*. The very first version of SD1A had some issues in Jan'09 before it was pulled and replaced with a working SD1A with no issues reported so far. Also see FGA #3.

3. Will firmware update prevent my drive from bricking again?

Yes. If you have firmware SD1A or later (HP26 if you have an HP drive), your computer will be immune to this bug.

To be sure nothing else is wrong with it, you can test it by using Seagate's SeaTools (Read-Me-First Point #5)

Edited by BlouBul

Not at all "stupid", simply you panicked :w00t: (and didn't follow the advice given in the read-me-first #14 :whistle: ):

14.Final words:

DON'T PANIC!

(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters) :)

There are very good chances that your precious DATA (yes, still the same that you failed to backup properly before) is still there and can be recovered.

Rest assured that DATA does not:

• evaporate
  • rot
  • waste away

by itself.

If you start fiddling in semi-random ways with the HD, it is on the other hand very possible that YOU will make the DATA unrecoverable :ph34r: , so, once again:

• DON'T PANIC
  • DON'T FRET
  • DON'T FREAK OUT

I guess I can count you as another happy bunny in the basket :):

jaclaz

I thought I was making good progress after having tested everything successfully on some useless test drives ( a couple of retired 7200.11's ).

So confidence high with the set up I started on the important drive.

Sure enough when connected to the circuit I was getting the "LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051" status in the terminal window.

So I disconnect power, insert insulation between motor contacts reattach power and CTRL-Z gives me the prompt: F3 T>

I enter /2 for the F3 2> prompt

and now I type the infamous spin-down command: Z

unfortunately, all I ever get in return is:

"LED: 000000CE FAddr: 00280569"

and it repeats at approx. 30 sec intervals.

I have searched the forums and followed other's suggestions when this message has shown before. But starting from scratch I only end up with "LED: 000000CE FAddr: 00280569"

Does this mean the drive is actually and really dead? :(

Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Cheers

Thought I'd better mention that the above is no longer relevant!

It's fixed! It's working and backing up right now!

To anyone else experiencing the same - give it some time before you enter the spin down command. I gave it about 1 minute and it finally worked!!!!

I can't thank everyone enough for providing such detailed step by step instructions, really amazing work, thank you!!!

Looking for some guidance on how patient i should be here folks.....

Been using Carter from Canada's site as well the threads on this site. Very very well done to all.

Followed his recommendations for parts & supplier (Pololu) and Had no problems hooking up my drive (A Barracuda 7200.11, 1.5TB , ST31500341AS, FW SD17) and getting console access

However, I've been waiting over an hour after hitting enter at the

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

step.

Any thoughts for my next steps? Infinite patience? or should i be powering down and trying again?

Appreciate input from all.

Been using Carter from Canada's site as well the threads on this site. Very very well done to all.

Followed his recommendations ...

However, I've been waiting over an hour after hitting enter at the

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

step.

Any thoughts for my next steps? Infinite patience? or should i be powering down and trying again?

I guess you did not follow the part about powering down BEFORE hitting that command.

You can do that safely now and then do the last part as per his guide.

Do not panic, nothing serious is wrong :)