The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

My ST3500820AS SD81 drive has just stopped working with no signs of impending failure. Not recognised by BIOS, sounds Ok and is spinning up. Could be this firmware problem ? I've seen a vid on YouTube using a modded phone cable, might try this. Any tips ?

My ST3500820AS SD81 drive has just stopped working with no signs of impending failure. Not recognised by BIOS, sounds Ok and is spinning up. Could be this firmware problem ? I've seen a vid on YouTube using a modded phone cable, might try this. Any tips ?

Yes. You have a classic case of BSY. Read the stickies. Especially the Read-me-first, Guide by Carter-in-Canada and the FGA. Similar to the vid you have seen.

Just spoken to seagate support, who say the drive with this serial number does not have any firmware problems, so all they can do is pass on to data recovery, minimum cost £470 +vat thanks seagate. Just ordered some hardware for some diy tinkering, I'll let you know how I get on.

Hey guys, My name is Thanasis and i'm from greece.

i have a HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS with Firmwire: SD15

About a year ago one day my HD wasn't recognised on BIOS. I did some search and found about the firmwire problem. That was when i found this topic.I read about the solution i followed the instractions and i fix it.

But yesterday i opened the pc and had the some problem (i thought that the HD was OK when i did what i did, but im wrong abviously, i guess)

So i thought i will do the some thing again. But now i can't see anything on the HyperTerminal. i have tried everytthing i think. tried with olny the PCB, tried the trick with the paper, thought maybe i have place wrong the TX / RX cables so i reversed them but still nothing. my 3V battery was 2.6V so i put another one so that i had 5V. still nothing appeared.

I'd appriciated if someone could help me. Thank you

P.S i'd like to apologise if i have made any mistakes in my english.... :)

No it doesn't work. The thing is that I used the same converter the first time and it worked fine.

i read sth about grounding. is it necessary for the loopback test?

oh and i want to ask.

1) when i open the hyperterminal it always says only COM1

2) and when i plug the rs232 (i use from rs232 to usb cable) it searches for drivers and it doesn't find anything.

does any of these have anything to do with my problem?

No it doesn't work. The thing is that I used the same converter the first time and it worked fine.

i read sth about grounding. is it necessary for the loopback test?

oh and i want to ask.

1) when i open the hyperterminal it always says only COM1

2) and when i plug the rs232 (i use from rs232 to usb cable) it searches for drivers and it doesn't find anything.

does any of these have anything to do with my problem?

5. My Loopback test failed. What is wrong?

Make sure you have the right driver installed. Is your converter seen as a port in your Device Manager and HyperTerminal? Make sure you have correctly identified the Rx and Tx wires. Does your converter need to be powered? Did you set up your HyperTerminal session correctly? If all that fails, your converter might not be working.

In other works make sure that your converter is seen as a port in your Device Manager and use that port in Hyperterminal. If it is not seen in Device Manager, you do not have the right driver installed.

and, NO, during loopback, you ONLY connect Rx and Tx, no ground,

Edited by BlouBul

how can i find out if it is seen like a port and if not how can i make it seen like one?

when it says the right driver it means for the converter?

OK. Let us start at the beginning. Go to Control Panel - Hardware-Device Manager. See if your Converter is seen under ports (not with a yellow !). That will mean your converter is installed with the correct driver. If not reinstall the correct driver. Use that same port in HyperTerminal.

it isnt in ports it is in "other devices" with a (!)

so that means it hasnt the correct driver. were can i find the correct one?

Since I do not no which converter you have, I could not possibly tell you where to find the correct one. Which driver did you use last time? A good start is normally the manufacturer of the converter or the installation CD that came with it..

Are you sure you properly connected your hdd again before typing "U"? Did you properly tighten the screws to ensure good contact?

I think I'm doing it correctly.

I tried completely removing PCB board as well as using card trick. After I reconnect the PCB board, I hold it tight and then tighten the screws pretty good. I cleaned the contacts. But nothing changed.

My concern is the quiet "ticing" sound, I'll try recording it tonight and posting here.

Could it be the cable. I'm thinking that since I was able to connect and perform the "Z" command then it shouldn't be the cable.

I'm not sure what else I can try.

Thank you very much.

Hey guys,

I have now tried this twice with different CA cables to no avail.

If anyone is located in Australia and has successfully unbricked one of these drives, it would be a godsend if I could buy your working adapter off you or even pay you to unbrick the drive. The data on the disk is invaluable.

PM me if anyone is keen, cheers.

i havent actually buy it. i kinda made it. i use a ST232 so there is no installation CD

What did you do last time? Did it pick up the drivers automatically? If it did, maybe try deleting the driver and see if it fix itself. Otherwise your converter might also be damaged.