The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Thanks for the welcome!

BlouBul & jaclaz! Thank you very much - this has got to be the most helpful forum I've ever seen!

Your tips are excellent and indeed just good common sense! I must employ more of that in future :)

Hello to MSFN folks

I'm very happy to say I've repaired successfully my 500 GB Seagate 7200.11 with BSY error, so thanks a lot to Gradius2. Your explanations are great and thanks to you I've saved my data and my disk.

How I managed with the RS232 to TTL converter:

The converter consists of the following items: 1 PCB, 1 D-SUB 9 female connector, 1 converter IC, some caps and some more passive elements. I've thought I didn't want to pay $14 and wait around two weaks to get it, so I've decided to build my own converter. Firstly, I searched for the RS232 to TTL schematic; after a failed build, I've found this working one.

fig01g.jpg

All you need is a MAX232 IC, five 1 μF caps, and a DB9 connector. At a local electronics seller, it cost $1,62. Ah, it's also necessary a place to connect them, I have a training circuit board like this:

p8asidm7o59ls4hb.jpg

The result:

hpim2732k.th.jpg

hpim2734.th.jpg

I've fed the IC with 5V, no issues at all. Hey, the gray cable soldered to the DB9 was extracted from an old VCR 10 years ago!!

The proof of the sucess:

hytr.th.png

Thanks again to MSFN and Gradius2!!!

Thanks a lot! This HOWTO is very useful, especially my ST3500320AS failed just a couple of days ago.

My ST3500320AS comes with firmware SD15. After fixed BSY error, I have to go through steps for 0 LBA error to make it work.

I am not sure why the command of 0 LBA error and last step of BSY error is different.

for 0 LBA, it calls

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

for BSY, it calls

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter)

And I upgrade the firmware from SD15 to SD1A with Seagate firmware upgrade tool. Hope this will avoid future failure.

In my case, I use an USB to TTL dongle (my version is based on PL2303, very cheap in China).

Thanks again, for helping me to save my data!

Hello guys I am an Newbie,

and i come from the good old Germany.

My seagate ST3500320AS with the SD15 goes to 0LBA state two months ago.

I began t read athe first sites, but ts is for me difficult to understand.

Is there anybody who can translate from the beginning the steps from Gradius2 or aviko.

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for my very bad English :-(

See if this helps http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=en&u=http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html&ei=82RhTaumGpKn8QP5h71Z&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmapleleaf%2Bmountain%2Bseagate%2Bbrick%26hl%3Dde%26site%3Dwebhp%26prmd%3Divns

You can also use Google Translate to translate the first post, Read-me-First and FGA to understand the concepts. I would use the original text to get the commands from to make sure nothing is mistranslated.

Sie können auch Google Translate den ersten Beitrag zu übersetzen, Read-me-First und FGA, die Konzepte zu verstehen. Ich würde den ursprünglichen Text, um die Befehle bekommen aus um sicherzustellen, dass nichts zu machen ist falsch übersetzt.

Sorry for the bad German.

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of posts on this topic. I have ST3500320AS which I think has BSY error, because it's not being detected by the BIOS. So I've been trying to follow this tutorial with no luck with the step where I type "U" in the hyperterminal. I've tried cleaning the connectors on the board, shaking the drive after typing "U". I even tried the freezer. But nothing seems to work. I tried disconnecting the the connectors to just the head, just the motor and both - still with no luck. When I type the "U" command, I can hear the motor spin up, but then while it's spinning I can hear a very quiet "tic" sound, repeating 5-6 times within ~30 seconds and then I get this error:

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 26.848 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

I'm using the Nokia CA-42 cable.

I don't care about the drive, but I do have ~30000 pictures on it that I want to restore.

Can somebody give me an advice?

Thank you in advance.

I even tried the freezer. But nothing seems to work.

I hope you did not totally destroy your HDD with that stunt. Definitely NOT recommended!!!

So I've been trying to follow this tutorial with no luck with the step where I type "U" in the hyperterminal. I've tried cleaning the connectors on the board, shaking the drive after typing "U". I even tried the freezer. But nothing seems to work. I tried disconnecting the the connectors to just the head, just the motor and both - still with no luck. When I type the "U" command, I can hear the motor spin up, but then while it's spinning I can hear a very quiet "tic" sound, repeating 5-6 times within ~30 seconds and then I get this error:

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 26.848 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

Are you sure you properly connected your hdd again before typing "U"? Did you properly tighten the screws to ensure good contact?

This may be a really stupid question, but is there any reason why I cannot simply replace the motherboard on one of these drives? Or have the logs been written on to the disks?

Yes, it is a really stupid question. Especially since you haven't read the FGA. See FGA #1

This may be a really stupid question, but is there any reason why I cannot simply replace the motherboard on one of these drives? Or have the logs been written on to the disks?

It's not stupid by itself, it is simply illogical asking it here, on page #177 of a thread illustrating a rather complex method to solve the problem.

See here:

READ BOTH the read-me-first AND the FGA's FIRST (they are there to hopefully avoid having the SAME questions asked again and again):

That would be FGA #1 (and yes it is the first frequently given answer because it is a VERY frequently asked question).

Unless of course you think we are a bunch of sadists that like to suggest complex methods when simply swapping a PCB would do. :unsure:

jaclaz

Hi,

I have a Seagate ST31500341AS which has had the clicking noise. It came with firmware CC1H which I didn't think was affected by this issue however I get the following problems

Sometimes the PC POST sees the drive sometimes it doesn't. When it does I can boot up the PC and the drive is recognised as a logical drive however windows explorer says the drive need formatting to be used if I drive to access the drive.

I've read lots of stuff regarding these drives but I'm totally confused as to what I should do.

Do I need to try to upgrade the firmware of this drive? If so how and to what firmware as I thought CC1H was meant to be ok?

If not what do I need to do as I desperately need to access the data on the drive

I appreciate that this may well have been answered already in this thread but I've been unable to find the answers to my specific scenario so really appreciate any responses

Many thanks

I appreciate that this may well have been answered already in this thread but I've been unable to find the answers to my specific scenario so really appreciate any responses

You should rather appreciate that you have a clicking drive (that is NOT a BSY or a LBA0 problem) and the thread you posted to is ONLY about BSY and LBA0 issues, like:

The intended Target:

The scope of a thread about problems of Seagate 7200.11 drives is to try and solve two specific problems:

• BSY - or "busy" state
  • LBA0 - or drive detected by BIOS with size 0

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

Long answer:

• start a NEW thread (aptly titled) for your problem, the present thread is for OTHER problems ONLY.

Short answer:

• you have a failing drive, buy a new one.

Corollary to the short answer:

• there is NOTHING you can do about it (and fixing it by a professional will cost WAY more than buying a new one), just backup it's contents (if you can access them) then throw it away.

jaclaz

hi there my HDD went on me 2 weeks ago i looked at alot of sites got the idea of what to do just need to see if these components are all right.

link 1

link 2

link 3

any help would be great.

cheers

john

Link #1 and #3 are OK.

Link #2 is "a suffusion of yellow" :w00t: :

http://www.thateden.co.uk/dirk/

NO idea what it is meant for. :ph34r:

This is a RS232 circuit board together with Leeds and ribben 10 way cable

The ic is MAX232CPE.

Adapter in link #1 has been reported as working allright :thumbup :

Please note how the link #3, ALSO allright :thumbup is the actual "shifter" originally used, which has a dedicated note in point #11 of the read-me-first:

(which you obvioulsy failed to READ FIRST :whistle: )

NOW, would be nice if you read it, particularly point #10 and #11.

jaclaz