The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Also some clarification on the directions. When you have the HDD at the start do you power it on then place the card stock between the motor and pcb or place it in between and then supply power to the hdd?

WHICH directions?

THESE ones, the ones recommended in read-me-first, that you most probably have NOT read :

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

With nothing connected to the drive and on your nice, clean, static-free work surface (you have found yourself one of those, right?), set your drive on a protected surface and loosen the screw indicated below in red with your torx T-6 screwdriver. It isn't a long screw so be careful not to unscrew it more than a few turns. This should allow you to insert the cardstock next to the screw and between the logic board and motor contacts so that the connection is broken. Turn the screw one or two rotations tighter just to ensure the screw stays in place but do not apply any pressure to the cardstock. This will be pulled out with power on during the middle of the procedure so if you feel the need to safely test the method a few times without power, now is the time to do so.

(the second you said)

READ the readme first.

DO a loopback test BEFORE anything else.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I used the first directions from this board. Yes I have read the read me. with the loop back test can you test it with just the usb to serial adapter and the battery connected?

Yes. Maybe read it again.

Connect the TX and RX of the converter together and see if what you type in the communication program is ECHOed back.

So, with NOTHING connected to the converter on the side that would later go to your HDD (yes USB side connected with battery if required), connect the Rx and Tx together and see if you can see what you type in hyperterminal.

See also the FGA #4&5 (&7 for the gibberish)

Yes I have read the read me.

Let me doubt about it. :whistle:

with the loop back test can you test it with just the usb to serial adapter and the battery connected?

Yes, that's the idea. :thumbup

As CLEARLY :unsure: stated there. (Point #8 of the read-me-first.).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

ok I will put the grounds together. but is the board bad since the led for the TX does not light up?

Loopback has NOTHING to do with Grounding. :w00t:

If you do not understand the read-me-first, ask for help to a more knowledgeable (local) friend possibly not the same that seemingly fried :ph34r: your converter...:whistle:

How do you expect that we can now what the heck has happened to your converter from a distance? :unsure:

It may well have been fried or it could be a "cold" soldering or a broken LED.

jaclaz

ok I will put the grounds together.

Good. :thumbup That would hopefully clear the gibberish.

but is the board bad since the led for the TX does not light up?

What board do you have? Did you do the loopback test. Did it work?

if so, i could probably unbrick my 7200.11 with things lying around the house.. otherwise, i'll start buying the cables, accessories, etc..

The second you said. :thumbup

ok.. well i bought a $5 ca42 from a local guy (hi-etech in brooklyn).. radio shack had the tiny connectors.. fixed the drive on the first attempt :D

the only info i might be able to add to all of this stuff is a terminal app to use with OS X.. (others have said z term but i didn't want to install rosetta on the intels to get it to run)

i found goSerial which for the most part, looks the same (well, it's prettier :D) and will let you follow the same exact instructions as the hyperterminal tuts.

http://www.furrysoft.de/?page=goserial

seagate, bsy, apple, mac, macintosh, osx, os x, leopard, snow leopard

Hello, There are two Seagate Baracuda LP ST32000542AS with C34 firmware.

1. One of them is OK.

2. Another one has a bios problem (detected as ST_M13FQBL (7,9GB)).

I used to connect to the terminal Nokia CA-42 cable with 34000N1 putty terminal settings.

Normal hard drive response is OK, and terminal command working fine.

But then I connect second HDD with ST_M13FQBL, the result is: several hdd clicks and "an emtpy terminal"

What's wrong? Can anybody help me?

Hello, There are two Seagate Baracuda LP ST32000542AS with C34 firmware.

What's wrong? Can anybody help me?

First thing that is wrong is that it is NOT a 7200.11 series, thus this solution will not work :whistle: (and we can't guarantee what will happen if you try it on that 5900 RPM disk) :ph34r:

Start a new thread and we will see if someone can help you.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi there,

First thanks to all the primary contributors for the great how-to. It gives me hope that I might able to unbrick my drive.

I read the read-me-first sticky, however, I'm stuck against a wall with this fix so far.

I have a 7200.11 Seagate 500GB HDD. Has the BSY error. Disapeared on start-up one day. Wasn't recognized after that.

Spins up when powered up with no weird mechanical noise or any other kind of problems.

So I set out to unbrick it. I bought 1)a USB to serial adaptor since I'm using a laptop. 2)the RS232 to TTL shifter from Sparkfun. 3)The breadboard power supply from Sparkfun which supplies both 5V and 3.3V.

I installed the drivers for the USB to Serial. It was assigned COM5. I connected pins 2 and 3 (TX and RX) and performed a loopback test using Tera Term. Worked with no problem encountered. I saw what I typed. Local echo was disabled.

Then I plugged in the rs232 shifter. I connected the VCC to the 3.3V pin of the power supply. I connected the GND of the power supply to the GND of the rs323 to TLL shifter. I then looped the TX and RX pins and performed another loopback test. Success. As I entered a keystroke, the tx and rx lights on the rs232 ttl shifter would flash and the character was displayed in Tera Term.

When I add the hard drive to the mix however it's a different story. I have the 3.3V from the power supply going to the converter. The ground from the power supply goes also to the converter, and i have that tapped off to the hard drive ground as well. So, everything is sharing a common ground. I have RX from the converter hooked up to TX on the HDD. Likewise, I have TX from the converter hooked up to RX on the HDD.

I don't have a desktop available so I'm using a SATA power supply that plugs into the wall from an external kit to power the harddrive.

When I power both the converter and the HDD, and open Tera Term and connect to serial on COM5 with 38400 8N1N, I get a white screen with a black cursor. I hit control-z and nothing happens. I can see the little green TX LED flashing on the converter whenever I hit a key, but I get no response from the HDD and no F3 prompt.

I gone over it several times now, and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

N

When I power both the converter and the HDD, and open Tera Term and connect to serial on COM5 with 38400 8N1N, I get a white screen with a black cursor. I hit control-z and nothing happens. I can see the little green TX LED flashing on the converter whenever I hit a key, but I get no response from the HDD and no F3 prompt.

I gone over it several times now, and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Have you tried inverting the Tx and RX? (just to make sure, you didn't mention this)

jaclaz

Have you tried inverting the Tx and RX? (just to make sure, you didn't mention this)

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz.

I tried that initially before the first post, and it didn't work, but I must done something wrong, because when I read your reply, I thought I better try it one more time just to be sure and I got the F3 T> prompt right away. I followed through the instructions and got all my files copied off the 7200.11 on to my external backup. Success.

Thanks again.

N