The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

hello,

please can you help me!!!

i have such same problems wirh my hdd western digital wd5000aaks.

bios can't find the hard disc anymore.

LBA 0 ore just bsy error...

can i do it same as you've written here?

but further i don't know the pins tx,rx and gnd!

thx!

NO. :no:

This is ONLY for 7200.11 Seagate drives! :realmad:

READ the read-me-first:

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

Is there something difficult in the above? :unsure:

Start a NEW thread - aptly titled - for your problem which is COMPLETETELY UNrelated to Seagate 7200.11, here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/169-hard-drive-and-removable-media-issues/

jaclaz

@dragon65:

The whole procedure described here is specific for the seagate firmware bug. Maybe others in this forum can help you. But the work around of this thread will not work for you and also, if you look at the topic of the thread, this is not the correct place for your question :(.

Nevertheless: Good luck.

Edited by Chilli

The reason of looking for a PCB replacement is that I cannot get any response from the PCB after sending CTRL+Z, so I cannot send any command to it, and I do not know how else I can do but looking for an identical PCB to replace mine and try to unbrick it if it is needed.

Do you get a response from the hdd without the PCB connected?

No, I didn't get any response from the hdd without the PCB connected, exactly the same as with the PCB is connected to the HD.

That is the problem, therefore I don't know what I can do.

The reason of looking for a PCB replacement is that I cannot get any response from the PCB after sending CTRL+Z, so I cannot send any command to it, and I do not know how else I can do but looking for an identical PCB to replace mine and try to unbrick it if it is needed.

And the reason why in the FGA it is said that it won't work is BECAUSE IT WON'T WORK! :realmad:

If you really want to attempt a PCB swap :ph34r: , you need to ALSO swap the actual chip that holds the specific drive configuration, something that is not really "easy" or at a "normal" DIY level, desoldering and re-soldering tiny surface mounted components (without damaging/overheating them) needs some tools, but mostly experience and familiarity with the procedure that - no offence implied - you seem like simply missing at the moment.

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz,

I know that it is not that easy, if you can tell me another thing to do, I will try it, but I at the moment I do not know what else I can do.

From your answer I understand that every single HD PCB has its unique ROM, thats why I won't be able to find another one wich matches mine. Could you tell my if I am right?

From ebay I have found PCB sellers that tells the same of the need of swapping the ROM.

Thank all of you for you help.

Hello jaclaz,

I know that it is not that easy, if you can tell me another thing to do, I will try it, but I at the moment I do not know what else I can do.

From your answer I understand that every single HD PCB has its unique ROM, thats why I won't be able to find another one wich matches mine. Could you tell my if I am right?

From ebay I have found PCB sellers that tells the same of the need of swapping the ROM.

Start a new thread - as to NOT further clutter this one, and I'll see what I can do. :)

Still, it's a CATCH22 situation :unsure::

• whoever can do a PCB swap won't ask about it
  • if you ask about it you CANNOT perform a PCB swap

jaclaz

No, I didn't get any response from the hdd without the PCB connected, exactly the same as with the PCB is connected to the HD.

That is the problem, therefore I don't know what I can do.

The only thing I can still think of that might be wrong is that one of your connections is not making proper contact. If you short your Tx And Rx that connects to your hdd, do you still get loopback? Are you sure your converter is 3.3V?

NO. :no:

This is ONLY for 7200.11 Seagate drives! :realmad:

READ the read-me-first:

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

Is there something difficult in the above? :unsure:

Start a NEW thread - aptly titled - for your problem which is COMPLETETELY UNrelated to Seagate 7200.11, here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/169-hard-drive-and-removable-media-issues/

jaclaz

ok thx, some IT-guys said that's the same...

and this was why i asked...

ok thx, some IT-guys said that's the same...

and this was why i asked...

I had some IT guys that stored my drive in a fridge in the hope to restore some data. Infact they could not restore a single byte.

I got the "piece of trash" home and found out that somehow the partition table was corrupted. I could restore almost all the data (ofcourse I invested quit some time to find the right tools).

The difficult thing on IT guys is that you need to know how really knows something and how is just talking. -Well i guess that's not only true for IT guys :).

Regards

Chilli

does anyone if an internal modem (on a 2003 powerbook) could be configured to talk to the seagate?

if so, i could probably unbrick my 7200.11 with things lying around the house.. otherwise, i'll start buying the cables, accessories, etc..

thanks for any info.

does anyone if an internal modem (on a 2003 powerbook) could be configured to talk to the seagate?

Sure :), you can dial the hard disk phone number and wait until it lifts the (small) headset on it's side.... :whistle:

... come on .....

.... unless you have a "special edition" modem that outputs TTL and actually low-level TTL ONLY, of course :w00t:

AFAICR, they stopped making those internal modems :unsure: before 2003 ....

if so, i could probably unbrick my 7200.11 with things lying around the house.. otherwise, i'll start buying the cables, accessories, etc..

The second you said. :thumbup

Guess why "internal modem (on a 2003 powerbook)" is NOT listed in the read-me-first:

and NOT even in the FGA's:

It is evident that I was wrong at the time:

We need to add to FGA's a list of the most crazy things people can think can be used to connect to the stoopid HD instead of the proper converters/data cables (and that won't work).

Right now we have, in no apparent order :angel :

• a car battery
  • a direct connection to mains
  • a serial port scanner my cousin Vinny trashed in 1992 because it was broken
  • an internal modem (on a 2003 powerbook)
  • an i-pod charger
  • the audio output of a Marantz amplifier connected to a Pioneer record player, playing an early 1959 original recording of "Love me do"
  • a morse

If it WAS NOT clear:

NO , you need a specific type of converter of data cable, whose specifications have been written a few hundred times by now, as well as a number of example of *ANYTHING* that can output (and input) TLL levels (low voltage type) and that can be somehow connected to hyperterminal SUCH DEVICES will do, and NOTHING ELSE will (but you can also build one from scratch parts - but you want to build a RS232/TTL converter and NOT a modem).

...and NO, not even a good ol' J38 key:

J38TelegraphKey.jpg

wil work.

And now, for NO apparent reason, a LOLCAT LOLMOUSE:

143e3a38-adae-45fe-bf82-07e6b702db70.jpg

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And the reason why in the FGA it is said that it won't work is BECAUSE IT WON'T WORK! :realmad:

If you really want to attempt a PCB swap :ph34r: , you need to ALSO swap the actual chip that holds the specific drive configuration, something that is not really "easy" or at a "normal" DIY level, desoldering and re-soldering tiny surface mounted components (without damaging/overheating them) needs some tools, but mostly experience and familiarity with the procedure that - no offence implied - you seem like simply missing at the moment.

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz,

gtravel, I send you an MP some days ago. Check your inbox.

PAPELETAS.

Sucessfully recovered my Segate from locked state for the third time.

Eventually i will spend some more hours to find out how to overwrite Fujitsu Siemens firmware, but very likely I will just buy another harddisk, mirrow the data, activate windows..., thrash the seagate and never buy seagate again...

Regards

Chilli

Sure :), you can dial the hard disk phone number and wait until it lifts the (small) headset on it's side.... :whistle:

... come on .....

lol..

i dunno, the thing is recognized by zterm, has necessary software installed, there's rx/dx stuff in there.. etc.. it's worth asking about.

i mean, who the hell knows what ttl means anyway?

(redundant)

thanks for answering my question though.

Edited by bluefive

So I tried this fix the other day and could not get it to work. When I go into hyperterm it spits out gebberish. I believe it could be one of two problem the grounds are not connected together or the friend I had solder the board messed the board up. The green led on TX doesn't light up anymore after he solder the pins the the board. I gonna try to ground the HDD, the board, and the power together and see if that gets me anywhere.

Also some clarification on the directions. When you have the HDD at the start do you power it on then place the card stock between the motor and pcb or place it in between and then supply power to the hdd?

last thing is any one in ohio somewhat close to dayton that might be able to help? Someone that's actually had success.