The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

edit: I got mad and just tried several times and it worked. Now I have to figure out what the white green and black wires do... As I said before red is connected to nothing just follows a long for no reason. Unless it broke 0.o

edit2: and now its not again.... I really need to figure out which wire is which so if I do get it working I can just do it.

Try trial and error. Do Loopback test. Select wire 1&2, If not work, try 2&3, if still not work, then 1&3 is Rx &Tx, with the remaining one GND. :)

I tried that but I get that com error 95% of the time. And then I think it might be because of a certain wire combination but then it fails on one I already tried.

I have come to the conclusion that this cable is at fault. Another wire just fell out >;(

Does anyone have an ebay link to one with 3 wires that is actually easy to take apart?

Edited by stormkiller22

I have come to the conclusion that this cable is at fault. Another wire just fell out >;(

Does anyone have an ebay link to one with 3 wires that is actually easy to take apart?

Maybe get another cable. The wires should be easy to separate (and wires should not just fell out :ph34r: ). It should look like this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=889486

Maybe get another cable. The wires should be easy to separate (and wires should not just fell out :ph34r: ). It should look like this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=889486

Yeah If anyone has an ebay link for a 3 wired cable that would be great. This one looks good in the display picture http://cgi.ebay.com/CA-42-NOKIA-3120-3200-3220-6020-USB-DATA-CABLE-CD-/160483141831?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item255d8a68c7

but then bellow it shows the nasty sealed in usb one with the panda mini disk like the one I currently have.

I've just bought an rs232 to tty adapter from Tronisoft in order to fix my bricked drive. I have powering the device with 5v & 3.3v straight off my PCs PSU (the device led lights up) & have put a jumper across both TX & RX to create a loop-back, however, when I use hyperterminal or minicom (on Ubuntu) I get no echoed response.

I am setting the config to that of the original post.

The port is showing as COM1 on windows and TTYS0 on ubuntu.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah If anyone has an ebay link for a 3 wired cable that would be great. This one looks good in the display picture http://cgi.ebay.com/CA-42-NOKIA-3120-3200-3220-6020-USB-DATA-CABLE-CD-/160483141831?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item255d8a68c7

but then bellow it shows the nasty sealed in usb one with the panda mini disk like the one I currently have.

i bought from this seller - green + white are TX & RX

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CA-42-USB-DATA-CABLE-NOKIA-5140i-6021-6101-6070-6100-/280586993353?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item415449bec9#ht_3115wt_1139

i bought from this seller - green + white are TX & RX

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CA-42-USB-DATA-CABLE-NOKIA-5140i-6021-6101-6070-6100-/280586993353?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item415449bec9#ht_3115wt_1139

Very cool I'll order that one unless someone can tell me if this one is good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CA-42-NOKIA-3120-3200-3220-6020-USB-DATA-CABLE-CD-/160483141831?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item255d8a68c7

LA is much closer.

Hello All,

I have a 7200.11 500 Meg Drive that upon a reboot is no longer being recognized by the bios. When I attach to the drive I enter a /2 and receive the F3 2> prompt, when I attempt a Z I get a error LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello All,

I have a 7200.11 500 Meg Drive that upon a reboot is no longer being recognized by the bios. When I attach to the drive I enter a /2 and receive the F3 2> prompt, when I attempt a Z I get a error LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

'

Actually I am getting a 00280569.

Hello All,

Thanks,

'

Actually I am getting a 00280569.

i know it sounds stupid, but i ran into a couple of problems on the last drive i fixed (I don't remember specific error codes, sorry) and for some reason, slightly tightening the torx screws helped.

Edited by pete.b

Did you properly disconnect your pcb? Try by isolating the other set of contacts. See also

Hello, this is my first post.

I have BSY problem with my HD (BIOS does not recognise it),

but when I try to connect the PC via RS232 TTL 3.3V adapter I can not get any anwer from the HD.

the converter is working because if I sortcut the TX and RX I got the echo.

when I connect the SATA Power to the HD it start spinning so it seems some parts of the PCB are working, and one led from my USB-RS232 adapter stars ligting.

I also tried to change Tx Rx just in case, but it doesn't work.

Could you help me?

I am also looking for a PCB replacement for my HD:

Seagate ST3500320AS Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA:

Model: ST3500320AS

Main Controller IC: ST V523C

HDD Motor Combo IC: 100369972

Board Number: 100466725

P/N: 9BX154-303

Capacity: 500GB

Firmware: SD15

Site Code: KRATSG

Date Code: 09085

Hello, this is my first post.

Hello gtravel,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

I have BSY problem with my HD (BIOS does not recognise it),

but when I try to connect the PC via RS232 TTL 3.3V adapter I can not get any anwer from the HD.

the converter is working because if I sortcut the TX and RX I got the echo.

when I connect the SATA Power to the HD it start spinning so it seems some parts of the PCB are working, and one led from my USB-RS232 adapter stars ligting.

I also tried to change Tx Rx just in case, but it doesn't work.

Did you properly isolate your PCB? Try isolating the other set of contacts (if you did the motor contacts, try with the head contacts and vice versa). Check all connections.

I am also looking for a PCB replacement for my HD:

See FGA #1

Edited by BlouBul

Thank you for your anwser BlouBul,

Did you properly isolate your PCB? Try isolating the other set of contacts (if you did the motor contacts, try with the head contacts and vice versa). Check all connections.

I completely removed the PCB from the HD so its completely isolated, and I also connected the GND + Tx + Rx, from the RS232 to the PCB.

The reason of looking for a PCB replacement is that I cannot get any response from the PCB after sending CTRL+Z, so I cannot send any command to it, and I do not know how else I can do but looking for an identical PCB to replace mine and try to unbrick it if it is needed.

The reason of looking for a PCB replacement is that I cannot get any response from the PCB after sending CTRL+Z, so I cannot send any command to it, and I do not know how else I can do but looking for an identical PCB to replace mine and try to unbrick it if it is needed.

And the reason why in the FGA it is said that it won't work is BECAUSE IT WON'T WORK! :realmad:

If you really want to attempt a PCB swap :ph34r: , you need to ALSO swap the actual chip that holds the specific drive configuration, something that is not really "easy" or at a "normal" DIY level, desoldering and re-soldering tiny surface mounted components (without damaging/overheating them) needs some tools, but mostly experience and familiarity with the procedure that - no offence implied - you seem like simply missing at the moment.

jaclaz

Do you get a response from the hdd without the PCB connected?