The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=seagate+sd1a+hdd+brick&meta=

First page and it's enough to get the picture ;)

I think the problem was that ol Seagate was under a bit of pressure to release SD1A before it was properly tested. That very first version (Jan 2009) was known to cause problems. :angry: They pulled it very quickly and released a new SD1A about a week later that worked well. ;)

Hi, I will be using the method mentioned in this thread http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html.. only problem is that I can't find the Pololu Deluxe Serial adapter and the male and female jumper wires here in India.. Any other alternative available? Any website which will ship to India?

Thanks for your help but I'm looking for a RS-232 to TTL Adapter specifically from Pololu reason being I'm simply using what the author has used.. I have done a lot of googling.. even called the distributor of Pololu in India but even he doesn't have it (says he doesn't ship that item due to lack of demand).. If there are other alternatives available, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your help but I'm looking for a RS-232 to TTL Adapter specifically from Pololu reason being I'm simply using what the author has used.. I have done a lot of googling.. even called the distributor of Pololu in India but even he doesn't have it (says he doesn't ship that item due to lack of demand).. If there are other alternatives available, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

If you use one of those USB to TTL converters suggested, the whole process is a lot easier (especially the finding the specific converter part). Then you can skip the whole build your own converter part, since you would have bought a pre-build converter ;)

(See also the Read-me-first#10)

You are, off course, welcome to do it any way you want, but both ways will work. :D

I finaly get a Nokia CA-42 cable managed to put the drive (Seagate 7200.11 SD15 - 1TB) in diagnostic mode but when i input the command: m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 nothing happend :(... Here is the log:

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.127 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.814 secs

F3 2>/

F3 T>F712

Byte:05A1: Expansion =

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

''

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

RAW OFF

RWSWD-OptChange: Ctrl 0001 Dvgas 0008 Rvgas 0008 Fvgas 0008 SumOf 0008

WriteCapInfo

Selection = 0000 CurrentCap 00000000 HDACap 74706DB0

Update Cap and Save

CurrentHDA 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0 NativeCap 74706DB0 48BitCap 74706DB0 28BitCa

p 0FFFFFFF

SaveCapInfo

(P) SATA Reset

PASSPackage Verified

F3 T>F712

Byte:05A1: Expansion =

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

''

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

---> w8 about 20 min. but nothing happend :(

Or after i input N1 i power OFF the drive and then ON after 10 seconds (by unplug and plug back the SATA power cable) and press ctrl+z i get F3 1> and when i try to input the commands like F,,22 or m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 is not working. What i do wrong ? Please help because i'm desperate !

PS. I have try on Windows 7 (putty) and on Windows XP (hyperterminal) and the same.

==================================

Managed to make it work without GND from CA-42 connected but i get this:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

F3 T>

and the drive is not show in BIOS. It is damaged ?

Edited by onepic

Hello everyone! I'm posting this from Chihuahua, Mexico...

A couple months ago my Seagate HD went dead on me, after researching I was referred to this website http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html , I bought the parts listed on that website, the only difference is that I am using a Usb to Serial adapter, since my computer didn't had a serial port.

So the issue is, that I have connected everything, I tested my adapter for voltage and I am getting a constant 5.13v reading on the vcc and ground pins....

I configured the Hyperterminal with the instructions 38400 8-n-1, but when attempting to do a loopback test I am not getting any reading on the screen.... what can I be doing wrong? Needless to say I have around 200gb of essential stuff on that drive..... So I need to get this done!

My best regards, and sorry for the noob questions, Ill try to listen to the unbricking masters!

Ed

So the issue is, that I have connected everything, I tested my adapter for voltage and I am getting a constant 5.13v reading on the vcc and ground pins....

I configured the Hyperterminal with the instructions 38400 8-n-1, but when attempting to do a loopback test I am not getting any reading on the screen.... what can I be doing wrong?

It sounds like a DEAD interface :ph34r:, see also the homepage of the specific adapter:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/126

BUT, try first making a loopback on just the USB to RS232 adapter, in order to make sure that THAT part is working.

AND/OR try the Pololu adapter on a PC WITH an actual RS232 port (I mean, don't you have a friend from which you can borrow one for a few minutes in order to test the adapter?)

jaclaz

Hi,

Where in Germany can i get a working RS232 TTL Converter.

I buyed this one at Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280558671275&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

but it works just with 5V (Usb Voltage), powered with 3,2V (CR2032) the lopback test failed.

The Pololu Deluxe Serial Adapter from Roboshop costs ~10Euro and ~30 shipping cost....

Than i have a question about Hyperterminal. I'm using Windows 7 /32Bit (x86). Under W7 there is no Hyperterminal. So i download the Hyperterminal Private Editon v7.0 from Hilgrave.

Works the CTRL+Z also under this Version?

I don't get the F3 T> Prompt. On my attached Screenshot u can see that i just got an Arrow. Is this alright?

I hope the Problem is just the wrong Voltage of the RS232/TTL Converter.

post-312494-0-49570500-1292804357_thumb.

Than i have a question about Hyperterminal. I'm using Windows 7 /32Bit (x86). Under W7 there is no Hyperterminal. So i download the Hyperterminal Private Editon v7.0 from Hilgrave.

Works the CTRL+Z also under this Version?

I don't get the F3 T> Prompt. On my attached Screenshot u can see that i just got an Arrow. Is this alright?

I hope the Problem is just the wrong Voltage of the RS232/TTL Converter.

Read the read-me-first AND the FGA's:

leave the disk alone, try a loopback test. (this won't be affected by the "wrong" TTL levels -if any)

Take into account to try powering the adapter at 3.3v (NOT with a 3V battery), but it "looks" like a 5V level TTL only ("wrong"). :(:unsure:

About the adapter, this one:

http://cgi.ebay.de/FTDI-USB-UART-seriell-Adapter-AVR-PIC-TTL-RS232-/280604136107?pt=Wissenschaftliche_Ger%C3%A4te&hash=item41554f52ab

jusdging from it's manual:

http://www.sigma-shop.com/manuals/ftdi_manual.pdf

USB to serial UART interface Board

with FT232R

Fully assembled and tested

Work with 5V and 3.3V Logic Interface

This converter provides two way serial communications signal conversion between

the TTL (Transistor Transistor Logic) output

to and from a personal computer USB port using virtual serial COM port.

This converter can be used on any Micro controller - PIC, Atmel or other which has

TTL serial communications.

The 3 pin jumper selects 5V and 3.3V.

is of the "right" kind.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I configured the Hyperterminal with the instructions 38400 8-n-1, but when attempting to do a loopback test I am not getting any reading on the screen.... what can I be doing wrong?

It sounds like a DEAD interface :ph34r:, see also the homepage of the specific adapter:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/126

BUT, try first making a loopback on just the USB to RS232 adapter, in order to make sure that THAT part is working.

AND/OR try the Pololu adapter on a PC WITH an actual RS232 port (I mean, don't you have a friend from which you can borrow one for a few minutes in order to test the adapter?)

jaclaz

Thanks for your reply Jaclaz, yesterday a friend lend me his computer with a serial port, but i got no luck with the loop-back test, seems to me my adapter was either DOA or something damaged it when trying to hook it up... I got no answer on hyperterminal, not even the connection settings showed up on the status bar of the terminal....this really sucks.... Im gonna have to find a cheaper way to do it... Shipping was more expensive than the adapter LOL..

Thank you for the quick answer, i will order this one and test it next year :)

Merry Christmas to you and everyone

First of all I would like to say "thank you" for collecting and sharing this information, it helped me alot.

I own a ST3500320AS (original SD15 Firmware, made in China) which had the BSY issue.

Sadly I first tried the solution of another source and therfore I missed your FGA - needless to say, I wrecked something up.

So probably everything here should have worked for me but I made the big mistake to update my ST3500320AS to SD1A.

Now I'm not able to read data from the device, partitions are recognized but nothing more.

Linux or Windows hangs after connecting the device via USB or just won't start if connected via SATA.

Does anybody have a link to firmware SD15 for this drive? I already tried the to downgrade to AD14 - but as some others mentioned this firmware version won't work, so after that I went back to SD1A but that won't help either.

Any suggestions?

Sadly I first tried the solution of another source and therfore I missed your FGA - needless to say, I wrecked something up.

So probably everything here should have worked for me but I made the big mistake to update my ST3500320AS to SD1A.

Now I'm not able to read data from the device, partitions are recognized but nothing more.

Linux or Windows hangs after connecting the device via USB or just won't start if connected via SATA.

Does anybody have a link to firmware SD15 for this drive? I already tried the to downgrade to AD14 - but as some others mentioned this firmware version won't work, so after that I went back to SD1A but that won't help either.

Any suggestions?

Hi Spadge,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

We would probably be able to offer more help if you tell us exactly how you managed to update your firmware to SD1A. You are not suppose to be able to do that when you have the BSY bug. Was your drive recognised in BIOS before you tried your upgrade? This fix might still be able to fix your drive (depending on what you commited before :ph34r: )The more info you give, the better.

Hi Spadge,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

We would probably be able to offer more help if you tell us exactly how you managed to update your firmware to SD1A. You are not suppose to be able to do that when you have the BSY bug. Was your drive recognised in BIOS before you tried your upgrade? This fix might still be able to fix your drive (depending on what you commited before :ph34r: )The more info you give, the better.

Hi BlouBul,

thank you for the welcome :)

Ok I see that I was a little bit short on explaining what I did.

After BSY I found out that there is a way unlocking the disk by using a terminal RS232 connection - so I followed the instructions unlocking the device from BSY and fixing LBA0 (isolating the pcb<->motor connection aso.). Everything worked out fine.

But after that - and this was the big fault of me - I thought it would be best to perform the SD1A update before doing anything else. So here I am now, having a drive which is accessible by the BIOS but not by the OS itself because in my opinion the OS sees/gets only corrupted data.

As I stated before, I've tried to get to an older Firmware (ADd14, because I haven't found a working SD15 for my drive). AD14 did not work so I tried - as some others did - to update again to SD1A (from AD14). But nothing helped out to access my data - which is surely available on the platters itself.

Thanks for reading :)

After BSY I found out that there is a way unlocking the disk by using a terminal RS232 connection - so I followed the instructions unlocking the device from BSY and fixing LBA0 (isolating the pcb<->motor connection aso.). Everything worked out fine.

But after that - and this was the big fault of me - I thought it would be best to perform the SD1A update before doing anything else. So here I am now, having a drive which is accessible by the BIOS but not by the OS itself because in my opinion the OS sees/gets only corrupted data.

As I stated before, I've tried to get to an older Firmware (ADd14, because I haven't found a working SD15 for my drive). AD14 did not work so I tried - as some others did - to update again to SD1A (from AD14). But nothing helped out to access my data - which is surely available on the platters itself.

You did not do anything terribly wrong (except not backing up before you did the Firmware update :no: ) That is normally not a problem, but as can be seen here, sometimes the unexpected happens. The trying to undo the updates afterwards also didn't help. I think the only one that might be able to get you out of this mess is jaclaz. Since this is not totally part of this thread, start a new thread, explaining everything again, and let's hope he can work his magic and help you out of this mess. ;)