The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi all,

So I'm trying to fix my drive... I've got it all connected and working with HyperTerminal and I've gotten to the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" stage but it's been sat there for over an hour now.

Has it taken this long for anyone else? Guess I'm being a bit optimistic that someone will reply so quick!

What should I do if I don't get a response from this command? Can't leave it plugged in forever...

Thanks!

Hi drr104,

There were some reports (also here and here) of that happening before :huh: . In those cases they just powered down, and redid the procedure, after which it worked first time. :)

Thanks BlouBul! I guess I'll give that a try - pretty scary though!

Yeah, but at least it has been reported to not be a problem before , and you are already past the difficult stage, so it *should* be easy (except for the nerves ;)) to get it working again :yes:

Yeah, but at least it has been reported to not be a problem before , and you are already past the difficult stage, so it *should* be easy (except for the nerves ;)) to get it working again :yes:

Woohoo! It seems to have worked - can see all my precious files, just copying them off now.

Glad it didn't take much longer, don't think my poor heart could have taken much more!

Think the problem with it 'hanging' on that command is because I didn't power off/on the drive before running it.

Doing as Escalera did (power off when it hangs, wait for a minute, back on, ctrl + z, and then "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22") seems to have done the tick.

Thanks to everyone!

Woohoo! It seems to have worked - can see all my precious files, just copying them off now.

Glad it didn't take much longer, don't think my poor heart could have taken much more!

Glad to hear that it worked :thumbup (and your poor heart survived the ordeal) :D

Think the problem with it 'hanging' on that command is because I didn't power off/on the drive before running it.

Doing as Escalera did (power off when it hangs, wait for a minute, back on, ctrl + z, and then "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22") seems to have done the tick.

The powering down step is actually recommended :whistle:

HI everyone Great post here I was just wondering if this part would work? I seem to have all the parts I need except the Serial RS232-TTL adapter... and If i dont have to order one online i would be happy.. thanks

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2273291

If not, Would a store such as Radio Shack be expected to have this adapter in stock? is it usually refered to as a 232-TTL adapter? Thanks

I have the Breadboard,Jumper Cables, Molex with Sata and extra Adapter... Also looking for other option for connectin my "jumper" wires to my HDD.. since my jumper wires dont have the female adapters..

Edited by chezbippy

HI everyone Great post here I was just wondering if this part would work? I seem to have all the parts I need except the Serial RS232-TTL adapter... and If i dont have to order one online i would be happy.. thanks

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2273291

If not, Would a store such as Radio Shack be expected to have this adapter in stock? is it usually refered to as a 232-TTL adapter? Thanks

I have the Breadboard,Jumper Cables, Molex with Sata and extra Adapter... Also looking for other option for connectin my "jumper" wires to my HDD.. since my jumper wires dont have the female adapters..

Hi chezbippy

See jaclaz's post earlier on page

Please, please, PLEASE, DO READ these:

BEFORE asking the same, SAME, SAME, SAME, ALREADY ASKED n times questions.

If you want, you can also try:

• an AC/DC converter from your old Valve Radio
  • a data cable from your old PSION
  • direct connetion to mains (either 110 or 220 V Ac will do :w00t:)

Comeon, READ the actual specs, you can build your own and in the thread there are several different schematics, but you want a RS-232 to TTL converter (or a USB to TTL converter AND NOT *anything* that comes with a DB9 or *anything* that crosses your mind or *anything* "random" that you happen to have lying around)

See READ-ME-FIRSTPoint #10 for more info. If you get a 3.3V USB to TTL you do not need the breadboard and you can make yourself a female adapter by just rolling a short piece of isolation tape around the end.

Hi there,

My Seagate 1TB drive model SR31000333AS with firmware SD15 has just died inside a iOmega external HDD. I have open the cover of iOmega and only after that i was see the model and firmware :(. The drive it seems to be in BSY state and it is not recognized into the BIOS. I was get a NKI 6100 data cable with COM port and identified the pins as Black = Tx, Green = GND and Red = Rx. The adapter is like into this picture:

dsc01579jd.jpg

The problem is i can't get after i press Ctrl+z into the terminal the F3 T> prompt. I have changed the Rx with Tx but the same. So anyone it recognize the board into the picture above and can confirm i have identified correct the wires ? Thank you !

Hi people,

i'm also trying to unbrick my seagate but at the moment when i power on my harddrive some moments later hyperterminal and windows xp freezes.

Can somebody help me ?

I do hope your SATA data cable is not connected? :ph34r: Otherwise give more info of exactly what you are trying to commit there, since I normally leave my crystal ball at work and do not have access to it during weekends.

I've got the setup of this guy (http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html) and i get just till the moment that i have to power on my sata drive. Sata data cable not attached

Thanks for having a look at this.

Dirk

Hi people,

i'm also trying to unbrick my seagate but at the moment when i power on my harddrive some moments later hyperterminal and windows xp freezes.

Can somebody help me ?

I do hope your SATA data cable is not connected? :ph34r: Otherwise give more info of exactly what you are trying to commit there, since I normally leave my crystal ball at work and do not have access to it during weekends.

That is the right guide to use :)

Does your loopback test work? Do you have a cheap PSU? See here.

Otherwise we need more info on your converter setup and everything in your own words. The more detail you give, the more likely we will be able to identify the problem.

Hi,

I have a Seagate 7200.11 barracuda 500GB.. The hard disc went kaput yesterday.. The problem I have is that the hard disc was my booting disc and in order to proceed with any of the Data recovery methods suggested, i need to have windows xp installed.. so my question is do I purchase a new hard drive and install xp on it.. if i do so won't the bricked seagate drive conflict with the new hard disc's OS when trying the data recovery method?

Thanks in advance! :)

I have a Seagate 7200.11 barracuda 500GB.. The hard disc went kaput yesterday.. The problem I have is that the hard disc was my booting disc and in order to proceed with any of the Data recovery methods suggested, i need to have windows xp installed.. so my question is do I purchase a new hard drive and install xp on it..

Maybe phone a friend...

Otherwise, yes.

if i do so won't the bricked seagate drive conflict with the new hard disc's OS when trying the data recovery method?

No, data cable not connected during fix. :)

Edited by BlouBul

I fixed my drive tonite. Thanks for your advice about the PSU. I tried with a 300W causing Windows and Hyperterminal to freeze when powering up the Barracuda. Switching to a 450W PSU pulled the trick.

2 notes :

i have firmware SD25

i followed this excellent tutorial http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html but before regenerating the partitions pull out the sata power cable and wait 1 minute (not doing so caused a very long wait and nothing happened)

Thanks BlouBul you made my day.

That is the right guide to use :)

Does your loopback test work? Do you have a cheap PSU? See here.

Otherwise we need more info on your converter setup and everything in your own words. The more detail you give, the more likely we will be able to identify the problem.