The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

someone help plzz.. connected everything and after pressing ctrl+z in hyper terminal, it shows some weird characters. :( anyone know the fix for it? or am I doing sth wrong?

See FGA

In Particular # 7 :whistle:

thx bloubul :) I will take a look at it...sigh now when I press ctrl + z, nothing happen!! about to give up cuz it's driving me crazy :wacko:

That will be FGA #4 ;)

.... so be nice :) and READ also FGA's #1, #2, #3, #5 AND #6, and ALL points of the read-me-first (from 1 to 15) BEFORE posting again a SAME question ALREADY replied to n times.

jaclaz

Okok I will :) didn't kno it has been asked b4...

Hey Guys!

My Name is Lewis Spearing and I am 15 Years Old. Here is my Hard Drive Story! Its a long one, so if you dont want to read it, feel free to skip!

For my 13th birthday I got a 500GB Maxtor External HDD! I was so thrilled at the time, due to my laptops HDD was so low, I had so much more space! The drive lasted a good 2 years before one day it suddenly died. Before it died it was acting extremely slow and it didnt wont to open anything! The next time I tried to open the drive, it completely crashed...

A couple of months before it died, I was messing around with out family computer and decided to put the Windows 7 Beta on it. I copied across all of my families files, including 10GB of my families pictures and 18GB of Music. Once the Windows 7 Beta was installed I plugged in my Maxtor External HDD. For some reason it show up in my computer, so I decided to boot up into Ubuntu and copy the files across manually via that. I first started with the Music, the 18GBs of Music took forever to copy across, i decided not to copy my families photos and do it at a later date. I never got round to do this.

So, a couple of months later, my external HDD died and I was pretty upset. All my families photos (from 2003-2009 (a majority of myself and my siblings childhood photos)) were all on the drive, and now, all gone. I told my parents and they were really upset, it seemed like my mum wanted to cry.. :(

Time went by and when I was 14, earlier this year, I went to PC World for work experience. I met loads of great people there, and one fellow geek who said he could take a bash at fixing my drive. At a later date I took round my Maxtor External Hard Drive and we took it apart, finding out it was a Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS with the SD81 firmware on it. We tried freezing the drive but no luck. He then encouraged me to go online and find a replica drive and swap the board thing over. I went home, told my parents this and then decided to buy a new drive. A week later and I had no confirmation that the drive was being sent, I rang up the retailer and they informed me that the drive was discontinued and they could sell me a newer one. I said no and was stumped.

I began to do some research and try to think of away I could fix my drive, and then I saw this board, and the unfortunate news that more or less everyones 7200.11 drive were failing. I talked to the IT Technician at school and we discussed what how we could fix it. I saw later that evening on YouTube a person fixing their drive using a Nokia CA-42 cable, so I went online and brought an original cable for £14.99. I got it the following week and took it into school. Me and the Technician then spent the next 35 minute lunch time constructing a cable that would hopefully fix my drive! The next day, it was done and the cable was finished! Here is what it looked like ! img0334c.jpg

We plugged it into the Hard Drive and began to, one by one, enter in the commands. After the final command, we replugged in the HDD, and magically in My Computer, popped up a new Hard Disk! I screamed with excitement as the thought of having my photos back was amazing! We then went to open it and then, we were greeted with a foul message: The file or directory is corrupt and non-readable.The file or directory is corrupt and non-readable. I was heart broken. The IT Technician then took it inside the geek room and began to scan the drive with Recuva . At the end of the 3 hour scan, only 127 files were recovered. None of which were the family photos I desired.

The last idea we had before we gave up was to boot up into Ubuntu! We booted it up and the drive once again popped up, like in Windows. We opened up the Hard Disk and it worked! However, only half the files were there. In total, around 7GB. I had used aprox 200GB out of the 500GB, so I was really upset. We opened up Terminal and began to type in commands, and, there it was! The folder with all of the Families Photos and Music etc, all there!

After copying all the files over via the Schools Network, I now have all my family photos! Thats the only really thing I wanted off the drive, so just to have that was amazing! My parents are over joyed, and I think Im going to back up my photos more than once! Plus I need to buy a new External Hard Drive, to replace my Barracuda 7200.11!

Even though the hard drive and firmware were apparently not affected by the BSY firmware bug, it still happened! Im just glad I have all my photos, so make sure you back up your data people! However, when your back up goes wrong, like mine, it's really not a good feeling. I guess I was one of the lucky ones, as well as having a super awesome IT Technician to help me!

I apoligise for any spelling or grammar mistakes in this post. I don't know why I'm predicted an A when I am competely hopeless at English! Oh Well! There was just my story with the Barracuda 7200.11 drive! I hope everyone who is currently affected by the error gets their drive working and their data back! Thank You for an Amazing guide and fix!!

Hi Lewis,

Good to hear you managed to recover your photos :thumbup

Just for the record, Neither freezing, nor PCB swap is recommended (or will work) for the BSY bug. Either of the two could damage your drive beyond repair :ph34r:

Anyway, glad all ended well :yes:

Guest iaconelli12

Can someone please help me..

I am having this issue (HDD all of a sudden not recognized anymore. Seagate Baaracuda 500GB ST3500320AS)

I have TWO of these same exact 500GB drives. One for my OS and one for my files. and Yes my O/S is the one that dont work anymore.

So i was wondering two things...

Can I just "update bios" on working model and swap the PCB board to grab my data off the non-working one????

If not,

Can I purchase a cable all ready made and ready to go so I can do the "fix" with hyperterminal that everyone is talking about, without having to solder anything.???

and i guess, Has anyone else tried Ubunto and had susccess? Is the bad drive supposed to be a "slave" or the main disc??

this problem really sucks....Thanks all

Just found out that my 7200.11 developed the LBA=0. Question I have is about the adapter to use. I went looking around in my stuff and found that I have an old serial mouse with a femal ds9 plug on one end and a 4 wire connection in the mouse (assuming RX, TX, GND, and VCC but need to do a resistance check on plug pinouts to verify). Can I just use this cable to connect from the computer to the jumper terminals on the drive (along with providing power with the sata power plug)?

Three people in a row that COMPLETELY FAILED to read BOTH the read-me-first AND the FGA's:

1. Lupi
  2. iaconelli12
  3. lewisspearing

Since lewisspearing solved his problem (after having tried almost any of the "wrong" approaches available), only two little indians remain:

1. Lupi
  2. iaconelli12

Please, please, PLEASE, DO READ these:

BEFORE asking the same, SAME, SAME, SAME, ALREADY ASKED n times questions.

Particularly @Lupi , do you really think that IF serial mices had a rs-232 to TTL converter capable of 38400 b/s:

• we wouldn't ALREADY have serial mices among the possible source for the thingy
  • the serial for the mouse would have been set at 1200 b/s?

If you want, you can also try:

• an AC/DC converter from your old Valve Radio
  • a data cable from your old PSION
  • direct connetion to mains (either 110 or 220 V Ac will do :w00t:)

Comeon, READ the actual specs, you can build your own and in the thread there are several different schematics, but you want a RS-232 to TTL converter (or a USB to TTL converter AND NOT *anything* that comes with a DB9 or *anything* that crosses your mind or *anything* "random" that you happen to have lying around)

Particularly @iaconelli12, do you really think that IF a PCB swap was possible we wouldn't already have it listed among the possible ways.

BTW exactly one post above yours it is clearly written how PCB swapping, beside NOT working may also break the hard disk(s) for good. :ph34r:

Please also note how at the top of this page there is a nice message saying:

Hard Drive and Removable Media issues Rules

If you have questions about Seagate 7200.11, do read the READ_ME_FIRST, then read the FGA. If your questions remain unanswered after reading those two stickies, then post.

Is there a particularly difficult part in the above that you have problems understanding? :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks Kels, :thumbup you just saved me the trouble going there. :D

Edit: For those who wondered what happened: iaconelli12 disappeared after making some threats

Too bad. :(

I missed them. ( I like threats, even better than tricks ;))

jaclaz

Hi Folks,

I read the first 3 pages but I am still unsure if this is the fix for my hard drive. I have a seagate-barracuda-720011-st3500820as that all of a sudden stopped working. At the moment if I try to slave it, my machine will not boot period. Soon as I take the slave seagate out my machine boots up. I dont know if I should get a pcb board or try this fix on this thread? If I put the drive it by itself as master the machine will not boot up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to try to recover my data.

Hi Folks,

I read the first 3 pages but I am still unsure if this is the fix for my hard drive. I have a seagate-barracuda-720011-st3500820as that all of a sudden stopped working.

No you did not!. The first line in the first post on the first page says.

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

There you would have learned that the first three pages you should have read is

1. READ-ME-FIRST
  2. Guide by CarterinCanada
  3. FGA

After reading those 3 pages, and you are still unsure about anything, feel free to post :rolleyes:

Hi all,

So I'm trying to fix my drive... I've got it all connected and working with HyperTerminal and I've gotten to the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" stage but it's been sat there for over an hour now.

Has it taken this long for anyone else? Guess I'm being a bit optimistic that someone will reply so quick!

What should I do if I don't get a response from this command? Can't leave it plugged in forever...

Thanks!

Hi all,

So I'm trying to fix my drive... I've got it all connected and working with HyperTerminal and I've gotten to the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" stage but it's been sat there for over an hour now.

Has it taken this long for anyone else? Guess I'm being a bit optimistic that someone will reply so quick!

What should I do if I don't get a response from this command? Can't leave it plugged in forever...

Thanks!

Hi drr104,

There were some reports (also here and here) of that happening before :huh: . In those cases they just powered down, and redid the procedure, after which it worked first time. :)

Edited by BlouBul