The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Wait... am I not just supposed to have the 3 wires (the gnd,tx and rx) and put the gnd wire in the gnd pin, the tx wire in the rx pin and the rx wire in the tx pin? (they have female crimp pins on them)

These are the steps I took:

1. I removed the black "box" from the cable exposing the 6 wires.

2. I checked the manual and it said gnd was the black one and tx and rx where the orange and yellow wires.

3. I blocked the prb connector with a piece of thick paper.

4. I put the prb board back on (not too sturdy)

5. I connect the 3 female crimp pins to the 3 pins on the hard disk.

6. I connect my psu's sata cable.

7. I switch on my pc (only the psu is plugged in) and no hard drives are connected (except for the sata to the bricked one)

8. I wait for the hdd to spin down.

9. I plug in the other end of the r232 cable into my laptops usb port.

10. Its detected.

11. I fire up hypertherminal private edition.

12. I set connection to the same com port as displayed under device manager.

13. I make sure the number 38400 is set, and the other numbers are right aswell.

14. I establish the connection and try pressing ctrl+z.

And then nothing happens, sometimes hypertherminal private edition even hangs.

This is as far as I get.

What am I doing wrong/what did I miss?

Coffeecup

Hi CoffeeCup,

Your steps are basicly right.

Before you connect the cable to your hdd, you can do a Loopback test to see if Hyperterminal can talk through your converter. That will tell you whether your converter is correctly set up or not. No use to try and connect your converter to the hdd if there is no communication.

You do the loopback test as follows: With the one end of the cable in the USB port (and the other end with the six wires not connected to anything)you connect Rx and Tx to each other (just press them together with your fingers or isolation tape). If you now type anything in Hyperterminal, it is transmitted through Tx and Received back through Rx, and you will see what you type on the screen. If you do not see anything, your converter setup is wrong.

Edited by BlouBul

What am I doing wrong/what did I miss?

Doing BEFORE connecting the hard disk, a LOOPBACK test, as explained in point #8 of the read-me-first:

in order to make sure that:

1. the converter is functional
  2. the orange and yellow wires (on your partular adapter) are actually Tx/Rx
  3. the PC can actually communicate with the converter

jaclaz

It looks like VCC and GND, but I'm not sure.

Exactly.

By convention Red means +Vcc and Black means -Vcc or 0V or Ground.

If you check the photos, you will see in top photo that connections are (from left to right:Rx-I/Tx-D/GND/VCC)

In the second photo you can see that the Red wire goes to last connection (VCC) and that the black one goes to the one next to it (GND).

Please do read the read-me-first, particularly point 7.:

jaclaz

Hi Guys,

I know this is REALLY late but here goes, first is will this erase all my data inside the disc and second is there anyone willing to sell this contraption for a reasonable price of 50$ including postage?

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

I know this is REALLY late but here goes,

Not that late, drives are still bricking daily. :ph34r:

first is will this erase all my data inside the disc

No, that is why everybody is doing it :whistle: See also http://www.msfn.org/...-read-me-first/

and second is there anyone willing to sell this contraption for a reasonable price of 50$ including postage?

Thanks in advance

If you really want to pay that much, I'm sure you will find someone :whistle:

Otherwise, try the link three posts before yours or

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a0895844a

or something similar See Read-me-first point #10.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi all

I am not sure if my drive is in the BSY state or not. On pc start POST moment my drive cannot be detected even though it tries to. I can hear the hdd spin up followed by one click sound(5secs after the spin up) then it will spin down. It will try to spin up again, click, spin down over and over again. So is this consider the BSY error? Or it consider a mechanical problem? Cuz I have read some forums saying there shouldn't be any clicking sound when in BSY. If any of you guys can kindly help me out here a bit will be nice. I really want to get all my files back since I use it as a storage drive.

Seagate barracuda 7200.11 1TB

ST31000333AS w/ SD35 firmware

Thank in advance! :)

Anders

Hi all

I am not sure if my drive is in the BSY state or not. On pc start POST moment my drive cannot be detected even though it tries to. I can hear the hdd spin up followed by one click sound(5secs after the spin up) then it will spin down. It will try to spin up again, click, spin down over and over again. So is this consider the BSY error? Or it consider a mechanical problem? Cuz I have read some forums saying there shouldn't be any clicking sound when in BSY. If any of you guys can kindly help me out here a bit will be nice. I really want to get all my files back since I use it as a storage drive.

Anders

Hi Angus212,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

There is some reports of drives clicking during BSY. See http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page__view__findpost__p__853090

That particular one was fixed using this method. I do not think it will do any harm trying the fix on a drive with this method even if it is not BSY (unless off course if it is very loud clicks that sounds if something internally is going to break at any time). The rest of the symptoms sounds very much like BSY.

Hi all

Anders

Hi Angus212,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

There is some reports of drives clicking during BSY. See http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page__view__findpost__p__853090

That particular one was fixed using this method. I do not think it will do any harm trying the fix on a drive with this method even if it is not BSY (unless off course if it is very loud clicks that sounds if something internally is going to break at any time). The rest of the symptoms sounds very much like BSY.

Thanks Bloubul :) I have order the USB to TTL and hope it's gonna work..

Hello again everyone.

Thanks for your replies on the previous page.

I tried a loopback test last week, no successes, I think the cable is a doa. too bad.

Anyway, I had plans to post this last week already but then my geforce 9800gtx died and I had to replace my gpu (bad things really do all come at once don't they :( )

Im now using my pc again with a cheap gpu, and what I am going to do is get that nokia cable, and try things again, ill let you know how it goes.

coffeecup

The first time I plugged it in it recognised it as a TTL RS232 cable, but now if I remove the driver and then connect the cable again it sais its a USB cable.

Did you try to reinstall the driver?

what I am going to do is get that nokia cable, and try things again, ill let you know how it goes.

If you want to use a Nokia cable, here is a good link to get it going and identify the wires http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Use_a_Nokia_Serial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation

Wanted to inform you that i was able to retrieve all of my data using a CA-42 USB cable. I had a 500GB in BSY state. It was extremely easy and worked on the first try! Thank you all so much for putting this forum together!

Now that i have my data backed up, could i run a firmware update to prevent BSY state from happening again?

Wanted to inform you that i was able to retrieve all of my data using a CA-42 USB cable. I had a 500GB in BSY state. It was extremely easy and worked on the first try! Thank you all so much for putting this forum together!

Glad to hear thumbup.gif and you're welcomewelcome.gif

Now that i have my data backed up, could i run a firmware update to prevent BSY state from happening again?

Yes. Also do Seatools Tests to see if you can RMA it. See http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/page__pid__922610#entry922610 Point 5.

Okay, I have the BSY dead drive. (Actually have a couple :o( ) I purchased a USB to TTL converter on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300442860749

I have installed on an XP box, loop back test works fine. I have configured HT as stated in threads. I have connected from this converter to the disc with the TX, RX and gnd.

I have used an ohm meter to verify connection from the converter to the pin on the PCB. But, no matter what I try, I cannot talk to the disc. I have tried the isolation of the drive motor.

I have tried the PCB totally off. I have tried the isolation of the connector between the drive and PCB with letting the motor totally spin down. Nothing seems to allow my to get the ctrl z command to work and communicate with the drive. Any ideas what else to try that I have messed up on?

Anyone in Northern California do this fix?

Thanks

Edited by h2ofun