The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hey Guys, I just found this forum, I really hope someone will be able to help me!

So I have a Barracuda 7200.11 500gb HDD with Firmware SD81. The drive is not working, BIOS Crashes when booting. I have loads of data on that drive, it was my backup! How can I get the data off it?

Should I update the Firmware, like suggested? Would this result in me losing my data or if I buy the same exact hard disk and replace the board, would that work!

I REALLY WANT MY DATA! :L Family Pictures etc are at risk!

Thanks

Lewis!

Hey Guys, I just found this forum, I really hope someone will be able to help me!So I have a Barracuda 7200.11 500gb HDD with Firmware SD81. The drive is not working, BIOS Crashes when booting. I have loads of data on that drive, it was my backup! How can I get the data off it? Should I update the Firmware, like suggested? Would this result in me losing my data or if I buy the same exact hard disk and replace the board, would that work!I REALLY WANT MY DATA! :L Family Pictures etc are at risk!ThanksLewis!

Hi Lewisspearing,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

First things first, have you read the READ_ME_FIRST ? You can find a lot of useful info there (also read the tutorial by CarterinCanada).

Yes, you have the right drive for the fix, just check the symptoms carefully (not detected in Bios or size is shown as 0) to ensure it is the same and NO a PCB swap won't work.

Edited by BlouBul

Hey Guys, I just found this forum, I really hope someone will be able to help me!

So I have a Barracuda 7200.11 500gb HDD with Firmware SD81. The drive is not working, BIOS Crashes when booting. I have loads of data on that drive, it was my backup! How can I get the data off it?

Should I update the Firmware, like suggested? Would this result in me losing my data or if I buy the same exact hard disk and replace the board, would that work!

I REALLY WANT MY DATA! :L Family Pictures etc are at risk!

Thanks

Lewis!

I have the same exact drive with the same problem. After contacting Seagate support, i was told that our SD81 firmware is not affected with the BSY error... After many attempts to prove them wrong, i realized i was fighting an uphill battle and gave up. I have since ordered a USB Fix cable to attmpt the repair myself. I will let you know if it works as i also have family photos, etc at risk of loosing.. I'll keep you posted!

@ murisr / lewisspearing

Do not believe anything Seagate says about which drives are affected (or not):no:

I happily announce that my ST3500320AS... IS ALIVE!!!!!! :thumbup and it has become the first one, as long as I know, with firmware SD81 to be back from BSY state.

Anyways, I'm writing to you from my resucitated Seagate HDD... let's see how long it lives this time.

Excuse me for the SCREAMING but I can't help it, I'M SO HAPPY!!!!! :blushing:

P.S.: Seagate's support always told me that my disk was not affected, in fact every serial checking tool they released told me that my drive was NOT affected... well... it WAS affected!!!! IN YOUR FACE SEAGATE!!!! :realmad:

Edited by BlouBul

I had an interesting event take place. I have a ST3750330AS, 750GB, 7200.11 with SD15. It went non-operational on me, and after a bunch of research and buying the special Nokia cable, was able to get it back to working. I next tried the Seagate Firmware update process, by creating a bootable CD, which worked well. However, when I went to update the firmware, the firmware updater showed a different drive model installed, an ST31000340AS, instead of the ST3750330AS. I advised Seagate tech support of this, and they reported that since I fixed the drive using a solution from the Internet, I had voided the warranty and they could no longer assist. Can you believe this attitude given the magnitude of a problem they created?

Anyhow, if anyone has an idea on what may have gone wrong for me, I would appreciate hearing it. Maybe it was something to do with one of the character strings that I typed in during the 'fix'. The HD does in fact work now, just unable to update the firmware.

I had an interesting event take place. I have a ST3750330AS, 750GB, 7200.11 with SD15. It went non-operational on me, and after a bunch of research and buying the special Nokia cable, was able to get it back to working. I next tried the Seagate Firmware update process, by creating a bootable CD, which worked well. However, when I went to update the firmware, the firmware updater showed a different drive model installed, an ST31000340AS, instead of the ST3750330AS. I advised Seagate tech support of this, and they reported that since I fixed the drive using a solution from the Internet, I had voided the warranty and they could no longer assist. Can you believe this attitude given the magnitude of a problem they created?

Anyhow, if anyone has an idea on what may have gone wrong for me, I would appreciate hearing it. Maybe it was something to do with one of the character strings that I typed in during the 'fix'. The HD does in fact work now, just unable to update the firmware.

Hi dsmithh,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

Did you give your serial number to the tech support? If it is not now officially logged against your serial no. that you tried the "very risky internet fix", I would recommend phoning them again, this time omitting certain irrelevant information (e.g.that you did their work for them and fixed the drive). Also see if you can do the short and long test in SeaTools. If you get an error there, you can RMA the drive. Just be sure to backup your drive before you send it to them, since they won't give you the same drive back.

Failing that, just keep your cable, and use the drive as a second backup. If it fails again in a year's time, you can fix it within minutes.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi,

Just registered to say thanks for this thread.

I've just recovered a BSY 750GB 7200.11 that was inside a FreeAgent external hard drive.

After trying a CA-42 cable that matched the exact serial no etc that other people mentioned, I had no luck at all.

I then tried...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-TTL-serial-adapter-module-/220681115524?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item33619e9784

http://www.embeddedadventures.com/shopdetails/pid/93

...and it all worked fine.

I'd definitely recommend making sure that you can do the loopback test before even connecting up you hard drive, as otherwise you're wasting your time.

The only hitch I had, was after entering 'm0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22', I got no response no matter how long I waited. I had no choice but to disconnect the SATA power (very scary), but upon reconnecting the power and performing the command again, it all worked - no idea why.

Thanks again

Hello again everyone,

Around sep 21st I posted in this thread about my barracuda that had died.

I posted how I had little to no knowledge on this and how I was a self proclaimed doorknob.

I took to heed the tips I got from people and I bought a convertor;

A TTL-232R USB-Serial Converter 3,3V ( http://www.watterott.com/de/TTL-232R-USB-Serial-Converter-33V )

And I found via the pdf on that site the GND TX and RX wires.

So I got around to setting this up, but when I get to the point where I have to do ctrl+z in hypertherminal, nothing happens.

It is as if hypertherminal doesnt even know I have a keyboard, I mean, it doesnt even register anything that I type on it.

I do not have an external power source so I am using the PSU from my pc (via a sata cable in the bricked HD, I tried this without a sata cable to test if it powered itsself via the usb, but nothing) and I run Hypertherminal private edition via my win7 laptop.

I can hear the hdd spin down fine, but I do hear a ticking sound for a while all of a sudden, I can't remember if I had that before.

I have already tried switching the rx and tx wires but nothing. I have also firmly held down the GND wire, but nothing. I know the setup from left to right whilest the PCB board is facing upwoards is NOTHING-GND-TX-RX. It is really annoying.

I also have an issue with the jumper wires on the ttl cable, are they supposed to be so loose around the hdd's pins?

(I almost have to hold them against the hdd or they start sliding off already).

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks,

Coffeecup

Edited by Coffeecup

Hi Coffeecup, Welcome Back :hello:

First Did you setup the converter in hyperterminal? (eg did Windows recognize the cable when you connected it and can you see the com port there?)

Did you try a loopback test? (By connecting Rx & Tx, you should see what you type in Hyperterminal (everything is echoed back) and when disconnected, nothing.)

Also, see guide by CarterinCanada http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

Hi Coffeecup, Welcome Back :hello:

First Did you setup the converter in hyperterminal? (eg did Windows recognize the cable when you connected it and can you see the com port there?)

Did you try a loopback test? (By connecting Rx & Tx, you should see what you type in Hyperterminal (everything is echoed back) and when disconnected, nothing.)

Also, see guide by CarterinCanada http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

Hi there BlouBul ;)

Windows recognises the cable as an USB cable and then assigns it to COM3 (later on it started assigning it to COM4)

The first time I plugged it in it recognised it as a TTL RS232 cable, but now if I remove the driver and then connect the cable again it sais its a USB cable.

When I setup hypertherminal I make sure it is connecting to the same COM port as in device manager. I tried a loopback test, but I can get nothing to appear in hypertherminal, nothing at all. Not even when I switch RX/TX. (so no echo.)

I check the the guide by mapleleaf, problem is I dont use a breadboard or anything so I can't really use that one.

Edited by Coffeecup

Hi there BlouBul ;)

Windows recognises the cable as an USB cable and then assigns it to COM3 (later on it started assigning it to COM4)

The first time I plugged it in it recognised it as a TTL RS232 cable, but now if I remove the driver and then connect the cable again it sais its a USB cable.

When I setup hypertherminal I make sure it is connecting to the same COM port as in device manager.

The fact that it was recognized is good (not sure if it needs to see it as ttl rs232 or usb). I think the ttl rs232 is better. Maybe try reinstalling the driver . Why did you remove the driver?

I tried a loopback test, but I can get nothing to appear in hypertherminal, nothing at all. Not even when I switch RX/TX. (so no echo.)

How did you perform the loopback test. You can't switch Rx and Tx as they should be joined together :huh:

I check the the guide by mapleleaf, problem is I dont use a breadboard or anything so I can't really use that one.

You do not need the breadboard and other scary stuff as your converter replaces all. Just use the guide for the rest of the principles.

I also have an issue with the jumper wires on the ttl cable, are they supposed to be so loose around the hdd's pins?

(I almost have to hold them against the hdd or they start sliding off already).

See if you can crimp them a little bit. By that I mean take a plier and press hard on the opening to make it smaller and thus a tighter fit. But first get the loopback right, otherwise it won't work.

Edited by BlouBul

When I setup hypertherminal I make sure it is connecting to the same COM port as in device manager. I tried a loopback test, but I can get nothing to appear in hypertherminal, nothing at all. Not even when I switch RX/TX. (so no echo.)

Are you sure YOU are connected? (besides the loose cables) :unsure:

ALL connections should be FIRM, ALWAYS, in ANYTHING connected (pardon me the pun) to electricity or electronics.

There is NO possible way to exchange Tx and Rx in a loopback test! :w00t:

You connect the Tx with the Rx, and that is the loopback test.

Quite obviously if you connect the Rx with the Tx you have EXACTLY the same as the above. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Wait... am I not just supposed to have the 3 wires (the gnd,tx and rx) and put the gnd wire in the gnd pin, the tx wire in the rx pin and the rx wire in the tx pin? (they have female crimp pins on them)

These are the steps I took:

1. I removed the black "box" from the cable exposing the 6 wires.

2. I checked the manual and it said gnd was the black one and tx and rx where the orange and yellow wires.

3. I blocked the prb connector with a piece of thick paper.

4. I put the prb board back on (not too sturdy)

5. I connect the 3 female crimp pins to the 3 pins on the hard disk.

6. I connect my psu's sata cable.

7. I switch on my pc (only the psu is plugged in) and no hard drives are connected (except for the sata to the bricked one)

8. I wait for the hdd to spin down.

9. I plug in the other end of the r232 cable into my laptops usb port.

10. Its detected.

11. I fire up hypertherminal private edition.

12. I set connection to the same com port as displayed under device manager.

13. I make sure the number 38400 is set, and the other numbers are right aswell.

14. I establish the connection and try pressing ctrl+z.

And then nothing happens, sometimes hypertherminal private edition even hangs.

This is as far as I get.

What am I doing wrong/what did I miss?

Coffeecup

Edited by Coffeecup