The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Yes and I tried to swap them and I can't get a prompt from the HDD.

My last news is that HDD is in good condition and on new PC works.

to maddrummer: Do you connect RX from convertor to TX on HDD and TX ->RX ??

HDD is connect to power ? if you have BSY problem after connect to convertor and power supply you should receive LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051. You try connect converter, connect power supply and after run hyperterminal and set parameter 38400 8 N 1 N

I've done everything you list and I get nothing in the console. I tried Putty and Hyperterminal Private Edition 7.0 since there's no hyperterminal in windows 7.

Yes and I tried to swap them and I can't get a prompt from the HDD.

to maddrummer: Do you connect RX from convertor to TX on HDD and TX ->RX ??

HDD is connect to power ? if you have BSY problem after connect to convertor and power supply you should receive LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051. You try connect converter, connect power supply and after run hyperterminal and set parameter 38400 8 N 1 N

I was wondering if my problem could be because I plugged my (RS-232)-to-TTL adapter with the 5V red cable from a molex plug.

Someone knows what I'm doing wrong??

Hi Maddrummer,

Welcome to MSFN

you might need a 3.3V converter, see Read-Me_First, http://www.msfn.org/...610#entry922610 Point 10 will explain in more details

Also, did you connect ground? (Point 7)

Edited by BlouBul

Great to hear :thumbup (you nearly got me worried)

What was wrong? (or was it just something wrong with the old PC)

Edited by BlouBul

I was wondering if my problem could be because I plugged my (RS-232)-to-TTL adapter with the 5V red cable from a molex plug.

Someone knows what I'm doing wrong??

This is my (RS-232)-to-TTL adapter : http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-db9-rs232-shifter.html

Thanks

Maybe there is a omission in:

http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-db9-rs232-shifter.html

The smallest and easiest to use serial conversion circuit in the market! The SFE RS232 Shifter SMD is powered from the target application and can run at any voltage! That's right - power the board at 5V and the unit will convert RS232 to 5V TTL. Power the board at 2.8V and the Shifter board will convert RS232 to 2.8V CMOS TTL. This will allow a microcontroller to communicate with a computer.

Try reading it as:

... power the board at 5V and the unit will convert RS232 to 5V TTL. Power the board at 3.3 V (an Orange cable on a PC power supply) and it will convert RS232 to 3V. Power the board at 2.8V and the Shifter board will convert RS232 to 2.8V CMOS TTL.

Had you actually READ the read-me-first:

(point #11)

11. POWERING the converter (or data cable):

The converter (or data cable) is an active component and needs to be POWERed.

Some converters draw power from the "PC side" (RS-232 or USB bus side). <- in this case you need NO external Power Supply.

Some converters draw power from the "other side" (TTL side). <- this means, that since on the TTL side you will connect to the HD, you will fall in condition below.

Some converters need an external Power supply (a FULLY CHARGED battery will do).

Generally speaking supplying 0V and +5V will work.

Most adapters will work with as low as 0V and +3V.

A single 3V battery or two common 1.5V may do in the latter, but ONLY if they are FULLY CHARGED/NEW, if they fall below 2.9 or 2.8 V it simply won't work.

A good idea is to use 3 or 4 rechargeable 1.2V batteries (again FULLY operational/charged):

3x1.2=3.6V

4x1.2=4.8V

Another good idea if you have a Desktop PC is to get the power from it's cables:

Black=0V

Orange= 3.3V

Red= 5V

A known exception is this specific board:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449

that switches output levels autosensing the voltage you power it with, thus you need for this a voltage around 3 V for this to work properly.

The "main" thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807

is choking full of links and photos and help given for a number of different data cables (mostly "NOKIA") ad converters, both USB and RS-232.

TAKE YOUR TIME on it if you have doubts, most probably the solution is ALREADY there, BEFORE posting a request for help.

you might have had NOT this problem.

jaclaz

Hi, I have my 1.5TB disk concerned with this problem e bought the adapter and cable to see if I can solve, but when attempting to make the connection and do not like and not seen the connection schemes must attend the tutorial like me please if someone has sent me or I of page where to see them.

I need someone to tell me how to make the connection of the adapter into my disc to repair.

post-305982-028757500 1286282719_thumb.j

Hi, I have my 1.5TB disk concerned with this problem e bought the adapter and cable to see if I can solve, but when attempting to make the connection and do not like and not seen the connection schemes must attend the tutorial like me please if someone has sent me or I of page where to see them.

I need someone to tell me how to make the connection of the adapter into my disc to repair.

Hi ElKazador,

You do not need to double post in different topics.

You can get tutorial here http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

Also see READ-ME-FIRST http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

Also see jaclaz's reply in the post just above yours http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page__view__findpost__p__941628

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

I UN-BRICKED MY 7200.11 SEAGATE ST3500320AS DRIVE

First Time through!

You're welcome :hello: . Glad it worked.:thumbup

All is still well, saved my data, my pc boots...

Seatools works, tells me an update to the firmware is available and needed, Ya think!

Now if I could only get the Seagate firmware updater to work; apparently the Windows version of the updater is not all it is cracked up to be.

Moving on to an iso cd tonight and then the new Caviar Black 1T as my new drive.

Cheers!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

I UN-BRICKED MY 7200.11 SEAGATE ST3500320AS DRIVE

First Time through!

You're welcome :hello: . Glad it worked.:thumbup

All is still well, saved my data, my pc boots...

Seatools works, tells me an update to the firmware is available and needed, Ya think!

Now if I could only get the Seagate firmware updater to work; apparently the Windows version of the updater is not all it is cracked up to be.

Moving on to an iso cd tonight and then the new Caviar Black 1T as my new drive.

I also heard the rumour of a firmware update being available :whistle:

Yes the windows version of update is not too hot, better to do it with the iso cd. Also do the long and short test with seatools to be sure your drive is fine.

Yes,

I made the iso cd with the firmware update, but the big question(s) are....

A: Do I go ahead and take the chance to migrate my OS and all partitions on my unbricked Seagate to my new Caviar 1T without adding the new firmware?

1: If I do this, first I will have a boot-able image on the Caviar, take it out and then perform a no risk firmware update on the Seagate which will then with the new firmware become an external storage device.

2: Another possibility is (not certain of this ) will the Seagate go on the fritz while I am moving OS and partitions to the Caviar?

B: Do I put the ISO cd in the cd drive and boot, hoping the firmware update works and does not brick the drive again?

If I do this, do I run the risk of having a 1: bricked HD I will need to fix again, or 2: bricked HD that is really bricked for good?

No don't laugh but I have a series of Win operating systems that are all upgrades:

Dos 6.22 not an upgrade but needs to be installed for Win 3.11 to install

Win 3.11 upgraded to

Win 95 upgraded to

Win98 upgraded to

Win98 2nd Edition upgraded to

Win XP

I just don't want to go though this process, although it will clean out a lot of junk.

RD

Hi Rocketdog,

See answers below

I made the iso cd with the firmware update, but the big question(s) are....

A: Do I go ahead and take the chance to migrate my OS and all partitions on my unbricked Seagate to my new Caviar 1T without adding the new firmware?yes

1: If I do this, first I will have a boot-able image on the Caviar, take it out and then perform a no risk firmware update on the Seagate which will then with the new firmware become an external storage device.yes

2: Another possibility is (not certain of this ) will the Seagate go on the fritz while I am moving OS and partitions to the Caviar?no

DO NOT be obsessed by "firmware updating", the condition that can cause the problem is an extremely rare event and statistically will happen again, without any firmware update, no sooner than three to six months of intensive use, you have ALL the time in the world to perform the firmware update after the unbricking, and even if it bricks again, you now have the tools and knowledge needed to unbrick it in a few minutes.

Upgrading the firmware is a risky operation, DO NOT DO IT unless really necessary, and ONLY do it AFTER you have your DATA back and backed up on another media.

B: Do I put the ISO cd in the cd drive and boot, hoping the firmware update works and does not brick the drive again?yes, after A1

If I do this, do I run the risk of having a 1: bricked HD I will need to fix again,yes, but improbable or 2: bricked HD that is really bricked for good?yes, but improbable

No don't laugh but I have a series of Win operating systems that are all upgrades:

Dos 6.22 not an upgrade but needs to be installed for Win 3.11 to install

Win 3.11 upgraded to

Win 95 upgraded to

Win98 upgraded to

Win98 2nd Edition upgraded to

Win XP

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I just don't want to go though this process, although it will clean out a lot of junk. yes.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes, I'm sure!!! (or you can upgrade to Vista and then to Win7) newwink.gif

Edited by BlouBul

I have a Seagate Barracuda HDD with the following specifications:

Seagate 160Gb 7200.12

[...]

FW : CC38

Hmmm, that's odd :unsure:

I should have sworn this thread is called "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs"

and was about possibly solving issues with SD15 firmware.

But I could have missed something :whistle:

Why don't you read this thread first?

Greetz,

Peter.

See above

Edit: And below

Edited by BlouBul