The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

hi,

thanks for your quick answer.

yes i read more now and found out that might not work.

not easy for me to find a cheap cable in switzerland.

will another brand work too. what about those for lg or sony ?

after reading all articles and seeing youtube i don-t think

it will be so difficult. more difficult is too get the proper

cable first !

ok, will let you know if i succeed later this month or next.

thanks

marc

geneva

not easy for me to find a cheap cable in switzerland.

will another brand work too. what about those for lg or sony ?

after reading all articles and seeing youtube i don-t think

it will be so difficult. more difficult is too get the proper

cable first !

Other brands like LG and Sony do not need such a cable :whistle: .

If you really are stuck and can't find a converter, (and willing to risk about $2 and a bit of time), you can always try a Nokia data cable CA-42 or DKU-5 with driver cd, that should be easy available (even in Geneva).

I'll try to help you to get those working.:ph34r:

These people also ship to Switzerland, if you want to pay a bit more.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-11-OTHERS-TTL-USB-RS232-TOOL-/170513245979#shId

Edited by BlouBul

Can the same rescue procedure be used for 7200.10 harddisks. I have and old seagate 500GB (which comes inside the FreeAgent enclosure) which has gone bad and making mild and slight ticking sound, it is not detected sporadically. Since I have already done a a 1TB seagate recovery using this procedure I was just wondering can it be applied to other drives or not.

Thanks for the response.

Can the same rescue procedure be used for 7200.10 harddisks. I have and old seagate 500GB (which comes inside the FreeAgent enclosure) which has gone bad and making mild and slight ticking sound, it is not detected sporadically. Since I have already done a a 1TB seagate recovery using this procedure I was just wondering can it be applied to other drives or not.

Thanks for the response.

The method is designed for 7200.11. We got one (very unconfirmed!!!) report of someone fixing a 7200.10, but details is a bit dodgy. :ph34r: See http://www.msfn.org/...-bsy-state-too/ and let us know if you can figure something out. Maybe the drive was just too hot and needed to cool down.

Although the symptoms you describe, doesn't sound like either BSY or 0LBA. It is either bricked or not. That sounds like some mechanical failure and not a firmware issue.

A bit of advice: backup your important data as soon as it is detected again.

Edited by BlouBul

Can the same rescue procedure be used for 7200.10 harddisks.

Yes. :)

Missing question:

Will it work?

NO. :ph34r:

I have and old seagate 500GB (which comes inside the FreeAgent enclosure) which has gone bad and making mild and slight ticking sound, it is not detected sporadically. Since I have already done a a 1TB seagate recovery using this procedure I was just wondering can it be applied to other drives or not.

I also have a CD-ROM drive that doesn't work and goes clickity-clickity, but I DO NOT post on a thread that is dedicated to:

1. BSY on 7200.11
  2. LBA0 on 7200.11

ONLY.

I think I'll delete the READ-ME-FIRST :unsure::

judging from it's utility and the times it is actually read FIRST, noone will miss it. :(

The intended Target:

The scope of a thread about problems of Seagate 7200.11 drives is to try and solve two specific problems:

1. BSY - or "busy" state
  2. LBA0 - or drive detected by BIOS with size 0

that are caused on a specific model (the 7200.11)

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

Your drive is NOT a 7200.11 AND it doesn't suffer from the BSY or LBA0.

Please start a new thread APTLY titled or post in the existing 7200.10 thread BlouBul was so kind as to find for you.

jaclaz

Update on my progress.

I've gotten my drive back.

I resorted to using a CA-42 cable from eBay, one that was Made in China (many US eBay sellers are selling such cables) so I could ensure I only had three wires (GND, TX, RX) to deal with.

I cut off the Nokia phone end entirely, stripped the insulation, stripped the wires, attached RS232 pins to the ends via pliers, wrapped them in heat shrink, and went to business with the LBA=0 fix.

It took a few tries and a little bit of shaving of the cable because my pins were loose the first time around (I was afraid of breaking the wires), but I am good to go now.

Thank you for your assistance, BlouBlou, and of course Gradius2 and jaclaz for the guide, readme, and other tips I've read on this thread.

Hi friends

My Maxtor Diamond had a BSY problem.

I connect to COM and make all procedure and I get

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

I was happy but my computer don"t diagnostic disk and in Device managers have ! near SATA driver (see the screen)

If I connect to COM again received RequestResumeSaveSmartFrame and press ctrl+Z after have normal command line.

RequestResumeSaveSmartFrame
F3 T>
F3 T>

Please you know where is the problem ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by jakub199

I was happy but my computer don"t diagnostic disk and in Device managers have ! near SATA driver

If I connect to com again no report any errors.

Please you know where is the problem ?

Hi jakub199,

Welcome to MSFN :hello:

I am sorry, but I do not quite understand what you are saying.

Did you have a SATA hdd which you have successfully unbricked, but now have a problem with the RAID controller? Can you access the drive, but can't test it with Seatools software?

I do these steps

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.153 msecs

-------------------------------------------------------- reconnected controller

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 6.655 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
--------------------------------------------------------- power down - 10s - power up
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>
--------------------------------------------------------- power down - 10s - power up

then

1-> I power off HDD, connect SATA cable and power start computer. HDD wasn"t detect by BIOS, wrote Insert Boot media.... ahahahah

2-> after connect second HDD (ATA) from wich I lunched Windows(XP SP1), from there is screen (device manager->This Device Cannot Start. (Code 10) )

I try it on the computer from 2004 , motherboard ASUS K8V-X

HDD is not initially from this machine.

I hope that it is understandable :)

Thanks

I try it on the computer from 2004 , motherboard ASUS K8V-X

HDD is not initially from this machine.

I hope that it is understandable :)

Thanks

Yes, I think I understand what you did (which seems correct) and the error messages, but I do not quite understand why it is not working. :unsure:

If you tried it on a different computer, than where it was before, did you set the CMOS to autodetect the HDD?

Are the computer also set to boot from that hdd first and not somewhere else like a non-bootable floppy?

Edited by BlouBul

Hi everyone!

I have a little problem here...

I have a Seagate 500GB 7200.11 with BSY problems.

My problem is when I plug the RX-TX cables to the HDD I can't get a prompt when pressing CTRL+z. But when I do my loop test everything is working I can type in my console.

I was wondering if my problem could be because I plugged my (RS-232)-to-TTL adapter with the 5V red cable from a molex plug.

Someone knows what I'm doing wrong??

This is my (RS-232)-to-TTL adapter : http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-db9-rs232-shifter.html

Thanks

Yes and I tried to swap them and I can't get a prompt from the HDD.

My last news is that HDD is in good condition and on new PC works.

to maddrummer: Do you connect RX from convertor to TX on HDD and TX ->RX ??