The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Thanks a lot!!!!!

I recovered all my data.

I had an error when spinning up the first and started to click, but in the second time all was ok.

Now im doing a backup to update the firmware.

Thanks!!!!!! (again :) )

Hi, one month ago i restored a Seagate 7200.11 successful but with one remark.

In the manual is vaguely mentioned how to connect the grounding wires.

In my case i connected them to one point, so they had the same level and then i got my commands properly in the hyper terminal.

Before that i always had scrambled text.

At this very moment i have got a new Seagate drive but this one is from type Barracuda ES.2.

So far i can find on the internet, this drive belongs to the same group of disks as the 7200.11 ,with similar errors.

The drive was connected as a raid 0 and one drive shows himself with +- 750GB, the other was invisible.

My question is, if i can restore this drive the same way as the 7200.11 (with exactly the same commands)to recover the data.

I mean, the part without upgrade the firmware.The upgrade i can do later if an upgrade is available.

If yes and the commands are different, can someone tell me the correct commands?

I have components already availlable to unlock the drive.

Thanks in advance

greats

bruno

Edited by bruintje1

At this very moment i have got a new Seagate drive but this one is from type Barracuda ES.2.

So far i can find on the internet, this drive belongs to the same group of disks as the 7200.11 ,with similar errors.

The drive was connected as a raid 0 and one drive shows himself with +- 750GB, the other was invisible.

My question is, if i can restore this drive the same way as the 7200.11 (with exactly the same commands)to recover the data.

I mean, the part without upgrade the firmware.The upgrade i can do later if an upgrade is available.

If yes and the commands are different, can someone tell me the correct commands?

I have components already availlable to unlock the drive.

Hi Bruintje1

This thread is for Seagate 7200.11 (which is actually quite easy to unbrick in comparison with the ES.2!);)

For ES.2, you have to be a bit more determined and carefull.:ph34r: See This thread for more info.

In the manual is vaguely mentioned how to connect the grounding wires.

WHICH manual? :w00t:

In my case i connected them to one point, so they had the same level and then i got my commands properly in the hyper terminal.

Before that i always had scrambled text.

I would have thought that point #7 of the READ-ME-FIRST:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=143880

is clear enough. :unsure:

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

With "manual" i meanted "read this first".

No, it is (was) not very clear written. It is higly suggested to put ground together. A big part of the forum is full of questions about scrambled text, terminals that don't work, enz. because that part is not written clear.

For me, the sollution came on page 154, where this question about ground was asked again and someone told that most questions came from settings with different grounding. Normal conclusion would be to but ground together and that worked for me.

As i told before, my unbricking was one month ago and maybe the "read me first" is modified since then, i don't kwnow.

But I do not want to be ungrateful and want to thank everyone who made this unbricking possible.

Greets

Bruno

No, it is (was) not very clear written. It is higly suggested to put ground together. A big part of the forum is full of questions about scrambled text, terminals that don't work, enz. because that part is not written clear.

For me, the sollution came on page 154, where this question about ground was asked again and someone told that most questions came from settings with different grounding. Normal conclusion would be to but ground together and that worked for me.

Well, then I really don't get it. :unsure:

Are you saying that you actually read the suggestions, ignored them, and then, in order to have the stoopid link working you had to actually follow them? :w00t:

Point #7 was written BECAUSE of the problems inexperienced people had WITHOUT grounding and says in a nutshell "ALWAYS ground EVERYTHING together".

Since Snakebyte2 thought the original wording (which is the one on page 154):

was not clear enough I asked him to provide some suggestions to make it more clear (current text on the READ-ME-FIRST).

As well you are welcome to PM me suggesting any possible bettering to the scope of making that part more clear. :)

jaclaz

To Avoid misunderstanding i went to the "read this first" page again to read #7.

At the time i had the bricking problem this part was written different.

If #7 was written this way, i had not to search that much to came on page 154.

I did read the " read this first" part because it has a reason to be there.

I think that ground-part was not clear anough for me to get hold on at that time.

Anyway, it seems that this disk is causing big problems and it is a good thing that the groundpart has changed.

Meanwhile, i have other problems with a ES.2 disk of seagate but that is an other part in this forum.

maybe we will meet again there. :rolleyes:

grets

Bruno

Hi bruintje1

Are you happy with the way the Read-Me-First is written now?

If so, say so, then we can stop argueing if it was worded good enough long ago (You know, jaclaz DID change it after Snakebyte complained it was not clear enough for HIM, although it was clear enough for most of the other people). Then maybe you can thank him for his efforts that will now prevent people like you now having to read all the way to P154 to understand what is actually meant by grounding.:rolleyes: Then we can move on to your issue regarding your ES.2 drive.

If not, tell us what you think is not clear, and maybe jaclaz can change it again to make it clear enough for YOU also. Then we can move on to your issue regarding your ES.2 drive.

Edited by BlouBul

Yep, I guess there must be a misunderstanding of some kind. :unsure:

The ORIGINAL wording was:

7. GROUNDING:

Since, as seen above the actual 0's and 1's are obtained by a difference of voltage relative to 0V, it is VITAL, to ensure that TTL level communication works as expected, to have the same 0 V level on ALL equipment involved.

This is obtained by connecting ALL the 0 V or "Ground" of ALL devices involved together (normally and by convention a black wire is used).

I will repeat myself, you NEED a (black) wire connecting:

• the HD "Ground" pin
  • the (standard PC) Power Supply black wire
  • the converter "Ground" or 0V pin or connector or wire
  • if a battery is used, the - (minus) side/pin of it
  • if a separate Power Supply is used, it's black wire or 0V pin or connector or wire

And it seemed to me (and to a conspicuous amount of users) understandable and clear enough.

Snakebyte2 said it wasn't clear enough and according to his requests/suggestions the text was modified as follows:

7. GROUNDING:

Since, as seen above the actual 0's and 1's are obtained by a difference of voltage relative to 0V, it is VITAL, to ensure that TTL level communication works as expected, to have the same 0 V level on ALL equipment involved.

This is obtained by connecting ALL the 0 V or "Ground" or "GRN" or "GND" of ALL devices involved together (normally and by convention a black wire is used).

Repetita juvant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases:_R

ANYTHING marked "GND", "GRN", "GROUND" or "-" (minus), or having a black wire, should be connected together. (it would be a smart thing to make sure that you DO NOT use a black wire for Tx or RX AND that using a CA-42 or similar adapter the BLACK wire is actually a ground)

I will repeat myself, you NEED a (black) wire connecting:

• the Hard Disk Drive "Ground" pin
  • the converter "Ground" or 0V pin or connector or wire
  • the (standard PC) Power Supply black wire OR if a battery is used, the - (minus) side/pin of it OR if a separate Power Supply is used, it's black wire or 0V pin or 0v/-(minus) connector or anyway wire marked 0v/-(minus) or connected to anything marked 0v/-(minus)/GRN/GND/GROUND

As you can see, there is not that much of a difference, except the fact that the SAME info is repeated THREE times (and formatted/coloured more incisively) instead of TWO :w00t:, and in my perverted mind just ONE should have been enough, just for the record this was the ORIGINAL-ORIGINAL text (never published):

7. GROUNDING:

This is obtained by connecting ALL the 0 V or "Ground" or "GRN" or "GND" of ALL devices involved together (normally and by convention a black wire is used).

In any case, the 3 (three) golden rules of serial communication ;):

1. GROUND EVERYTHING together
  2. check that GROUNDing together ALL equipment involved has been done
  3. while considering the reasons why and the consequence of the above two, check AGAIN that everything is effectively GROUNDed together

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Today my Seagate hd died, my notebook does not start while it has hd connected. Could anyone tell me whether this solution works for Momentus 7200.4 (ST9320423ASG, S/N 5VJ1Q986)? I can communicate with it via RS-232, it understands Ctrl+Z and /2 but I get no response for Z or U commands (I waited for about 10 minutes).

Hello gradius i need your help ,i have 1.5 TB Seagate external storage drive it shows hang state ST31500341AS FIRMWARE:CC71 Can u help me i have a lot of data in the drive

i need urgent help

Please take your time reading Forum Guidelines (particularly #2a):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Also, read the READ-ME-FIRST, particularly point #1:

yours appears very like a non-target.

Today my Seagate hd died, my notebook does not start while it has hd connected. Could anyone tell me whether this solution works for Momentus 7200.4 (ST9320423ASG, S/N 5VJ1Q986)? I can communicate with it via RS-232, it understands Ctrl+Z and /2 but I get no response for Z or U commands (I waited for about 10 minutes).

You also, please read the READ-ME-FIRST, particularly point #1:

yours appears very like a non-target.

Please DO NOT POST on this thread ANYTHING that:

• is not 7200.11 related

Even if 7200.11 related:

• is not LBA0 or BSY

You can start a new thread here in the Forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/169-hard-drive-and-removable-media-issues/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have a bricked Seagate

But I have a point of confusion.

I have been through several forums.

In some cases the card stock is separating the drives circuit board from the drive contacts and in another forum I see the card stock separating the circuit board form the head contacts, which is it???

Also, did anyone put the instructions in a pdf for download???

Thank you in advance and my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

RD