The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Yes.... at last !!!! :w00t:

I have successfully recovered the disk!!!! :thumbup

It was a problem in the power supply. On another computer I'm all done with no problems. B)

Thank you all so much for your help.

Now I copy data to another disk, but after that I intend to do a complete test drive using Seagate Tool. Is the new firmware good (there were problems with some versions that have killed drives)?

I checked the serial number of the disk, and on the site is available update for my drive.

Is it smart to update HDD with the new firmware?

Hi Tulex,

Great to hear!!!:thumbup .

First test with Seatools, If you get error, you can return under warrantee to get replacement (RMA).

Then you can update the firmware if all tested good. SD1A is stable and should not give problems (although firmware updates are allways risky - make sure to run your computer through a UPS when you do the upgrade and use computer with good PSU for that!!!). Make sure your data is backed up elsewhere if something go wrong.

Hi BlouBul,

Thanks for response.. yes, I will do what you say.

If I get some error during testing, is it enough for RMA?

I have now UPS and new PSU Cooler Master 400W, everything will be just fine :thumbup

Best Regards :hello:

If I get some error during testing, is it enough for RMA?

Yes, you will then be given a code which can be used for RMA.:rolleyes:

Test your Seagate drive with SeaTools. This software will test your drive to determine if it qualifies as a failed product. If so, SeaTools will issue a special code called a SeaTools Test Code.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Test_with_SeaTools_and_Submit_Return&vgnextoid=0df7edc52f0fc010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by BlouBul

@Bloubul

@Tulex

Q: Guess WHY there is a read-me-first? :unsure:

A: To avoid adding questions (and answers to them) to the present thread.

If you could take the time to READ it:

and tell me WHAT new information did you get/provide in the last 4 posts, I would be happy to add it there.

jaclaz

If you could take the time to READ it:

http://www.msfn.org/...-read-me-first/

and tell me WHAT new information did you get/provide in the last 4 posts, I would be happy to add it there.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

The info is mostly there, I just tried to clarify some points that Tulex wasn't clear about.

1. "Is the new firmware good (there were problems with some versions that have killed drives)"

From the Read-me-First It is not clear that SD1A fixed the problem (although I did include the warning- there I could have referred to Read-me-First).

2. "If I get some error during testing, is it enough for RMA?"

that is implied but not clear (although the link to VideoRipper's post said he did it successfully)

Edit: Sorry, I see Carter's recommended guide covers firmware updates.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi folks,

I apologize if I ask something that is already all been said, really . :(

When I had a problem with the disc, I first read your "Read me first" page and it was very helpful for me.

In any case, a BlouBul helped me very much, the answers was very helpful.

On many forums people says "Don't update, I destroyed my disk on that way. Firmware is not good".

On another says "Firmware was repaired and its good now".

I just had to know the current firmware state.

By the way, I did a "Long DTS" test and SeaTools found one error. I got the code for the reclamation, but SeaTool also offer to repair my disk.

Should I try to repair it, or no matter what, send it to the reclamation?

I have read what was written by a VideoRipper, but no one mentions the repair disk using the tool, only a reclamation.

Hi, i have a question that someone already posted but anyone responded.

when the guide says power off/on the hd i have to turn off the pc or unplug the sata power conector directly?

i have to connect everything with the pc off and then turn on???

thanks

Should I try to repair it, or no matter what, send it to the reclamation?

I have read what was written by a VideoRipper, but no one mentions the repair disk using the tool, only a reclamation.

This is because there are always choices. (decisions, decisions, always decisions... ;))

Now, let's try - as Mr. Hercule Poirot would have done, using our little grey cells.

You have two options:

1. have your drive replaced by the guys who made it with a new or re-furbished one, for free
  2. use a lame program (coming from the same guys above) to attempt fixing this drive - that already failed and that you *somehow* managed to re-vive (temporarily) following the advice of a bunch of completely unqualified, perfect strangers on an internet forum, which solution was not good enough to avoid having that error :ph34r:

I'll try to use one of my carpenter's comparisons :w00t::

You have a plank, that due to humidity, curved itself and it's not good anymore to be used as your floor:

1. You have the offer from the guy who sold it to you to replace it with another, perfectly straight one.
  2. Or you can use steam, vices, wedges, and what not to attempt straightening that plank.

Which one do you choose? :whistle:

In any case, choose wisely.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097576/quotes

But choose wisely' date=' for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you.[/quote']

jaclaz

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone who has worked hard to come up with this solution.

I must say that I am very disappointed with Seagate and that I don't think I'll buy any of their HD's any time soon.

Anyway, you guys saved my data, AND my HD with the hyperterminal solution. THANKS!

I also would like to contribute a little to the information...

Anyone trying this solution who owns a Nokia cable type DLR-3P, can also use it to do a partition regeneration.

The cable connects to the serial com port on one side and to a Nokia phone on the other side.

You must cut off the side that connects to the phone and expose the wires.

Wire you will be using:

RED - vcc (3.3v)

BLACK - Ground.

Grey - Rx

Green - Tx

(I may have mixed up the Rx and Tx I don't have the cable with me. I'll update the post when I take a look)

That's it. Now follow the instruction on this thread.

You can also search google for "seagatefix" to find an explanation with images.

Cheers.

Hi jaclaz, :D

When you say it this way, everything is clear as day. :thumbup

The only thing that worries me is that they can run this SeaTool repair instead of me and send my drive back as repaired. <_<

And all it will take about one month, basically for nothing.

But as you say, everything is about decision.

Guys, you are save my data and my live (my wife has promised to kill me if I don't repair disk). One big THANKS.

Cheers. :hello:

(my wife has promised to kill me if I don't repair disk). One big THANKS.

Right idea :w00t:, wrong reason. :rolleyes:

You should have been killed for NOT BACKING UP :ph34r:, not for (unfortunately) failing to revive the disk.

The effect would be the same, as far as you are concerned :whistle:, but in the first case if the jury were made of technicians your wife would have been declared NOT GUILTY ;).

Anyway, I am happy one more (or maybe two counting your wife) happy bunnies are added in the basket :):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128727&st=10

jaclaz

Followed what you did and got my Boss hard drive up and running with all his data on so backit up and firmwared it.Hes a happy man.The only problem i had was colour code i had to use Blue for (green) and Black for (GND).Thank you so munch :thumbup