The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Thats strange :blink:

Did you put some insulation tape around the pins to prevent them touching each other?

Yeah, I did. I did another loopback test to ensure that it is correct and working... it was correct.

I have two dead 7200.11 1TB HDD, and it does not matter, as soon as I plug in the GND wire, I get garbage lines.

I noticed that if you do a loopback test and let ground touch the other two, you get garbage on the screen. That was the reason I thought something was touching when you connected your well insulated ground connection to the hdd.

If you are 100% sure none of your connections are touching, I won't even think of suggesting trying to see if it works without ground connected (especially since this method is already deprecated...), but that is rumoured to sometimes work.

Maybe Jaclaz has a better idea. There is always the recommended method which might give the same result if ground is touching one of the other two...:}

Edited by BlouBul

I did a loop back test and it was ok. I have restored my hdd back to normal :yes: . The problem was the ground wire on the usb pcb had come off thats why I was getting the wierd characters in hyperterminal. After soldering that back on and making sure all the wires were ok with a multimeter I followed the steps correctly and it worked. All my files are still there, I took a back up just in case. Thank you guys for all the help. One thing I wanted to make sure is that I need to do a firmware update on the hdd. Does the SD1A firmware fix this problem from ever happening again?

Edited by MAH

I have restored my hdd back to normal :yes: . [...]Thank you guys for all the help.

You're welcome :hello:

All my files are still there, I took a back up just in case.

Make another one, just in case (at least two backups is recommended);)

. One thing I wanted to make sure is that I need to do a firmware update on the hdd. Does the SD1A firmware fix this problem from ever happening again?

Yes it should. Do both the short and long test using Seagate Seatools to make sure nothing else is wrong. Read also point 5 in Read-Me-First.

-Blou

Hi guys,

I'm new here.

Also I have a HDD ST3500320AS with faulty firmware.

Finally I'm successfully found all the necessary things (CA-42, torx 6 etc.) and tried to fix hdd.

I have the same problem as bmoroschan.

I'm having a problem applying this fix:

When I plug the sata power into my hdd, the entire system crashes. Am I doing something wrong?

Everything is ready: hyperterminal, CA-42 is connected to pins on the HDD, but when I plug the power, the computer shuts down.

Can anyone help me, please?

Hi Tulex,

I will ask the same question as VideoRipper asked bmoroschan. I hope the Sata data cable is not connected when you plug the SATA power in... :no: That will most definately cause your system to crash.:yes:

Edited by BlouBul

Hi Tulex,

We need a bit more info. Please tell us exactly what you did. Just putting power to a hdd not connected to anything (except a CA-42) should not cause your system to shut down. Did you correctly identify your wires? Did you do a loopback test? Does it also shut down without the CA-42 if you connect power? Give me all your connections. Please give as much info as possible. Then I will try to help.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi,

First of all, I want to say that I appreciate what you do for me.

First I placed a piece of paper between the disc and the PCB.

Then I connect the CA-42 with the HDD (I did NOT combined the USB cable to the computer). After that I plugged power cable to the HDD and my computer just turned off.

I've done a loopback test and found TX and SX wire, but today I realized that I did not properly identify the GND wire.

My CA-42 has 6 wires.

Also I removed piece of paper from HDD, disconnect HDD from USB and connect it to the power, all the same... computer shuts down.

Maybe it is lack of power supply or to sensitive motherboard or some settings in the BIOS.

If I can provide any more information please feel free to ask.

Thank you very much one more time.

We need a bit more info. Please tell us exactly what you did. Just putting power to a hdd not connected to anything (except a CA-42) should not cause your system to shut down.

Unless the drive has a TVS protection Diode shot.... thus grounding power :ph34r:

Try just connecting the power connector to the HD (and NOTHING else)

A little more info:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128092&st=1213

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz

I was just putting power to a HDD (not connected to anything else) ant it crashes my computer. (Just hear one 'click' inside computer).

Now I reading about TVS diode protection and if I noticed well HDD is dead (not spinning) if those diodes are bad.

When my computer is turned of I can connect HDD to the power and then power up computer.

In this case everything is fine and I can feel vibration in the hand and hear my drive spinning.

It means its not dead, does it?

I believe that, on this way, I can even connect HDD to CA-42 and to the hyperterminal.

But, there is a part after command N1 where I need to power OFF/ON HDD. That will turn of my computer again :(

I believe that, on this way, I can even connect HDD to CA-42 and to the hyperterminal.

But, there is a part after command N1 where I need to power OFF/ON HDD. That will turn of my computer again :(

Hi Tulex,

The powering down step is optional (sometimes it is needed other times not) you can try to skip this step or power down the whole computer and restart before continuing.

The fact that your hdd doesn't trip your computer when connected from the start is a good sign.:yes: The fact that it trips when you put live power on is not.:no: Hopefully you do not do that during normal operation. It can be a cable problem (it shorts when you handle it to connect it to the hdd with live power) Did you try it with a different cable/computer? What exactly is the original problem? If it is BSY/LB0 I think you can try the fix by keeping the power on from the beginning like you suggested.

You also mentioned in one of your previous posts you did not properly identify grnd. Is that sorted now?

Hi BlouBul,

Thanks for your support! Guys, you are just great.

I didn't yet try to rescue HDD on the another computer, but I was plan to. I will try this tomorrow.

Don't believe that is cable problem. I have 2 SATA power connector (one for DVDRW and another for HDD). I tried both and nothing :(

Originally problem with my HDD is BSY.

I was regularly turn off computer and next morning HDD was disappeared from the BIOS. HDD is ST3500320AS firmware SD15.

Related with CA-42 cable.. yes, problem is solved. I have cable with 6 wires (white, green, red, blue, yellow and orange) and for the record:

RX - white

TX - green

GND - orange

Tested with loopback test and using Digimeter.

Thanks for all your support.

First I will try to fix HDD on another computer.

If still doesn't work I will try the fix by keeping the power on from the beginning.

It could be several things.

Like:

1. the PSU going/gone bad
  2. the PSU overcurrent protection being too "sensitive"
  3. the PSU simply being under-dimensioned for the total amount of power drawn (probably on the +5 V rail)
  4. the hard disk got "sticked" (heads or bearing) and drawing too much power on spin-up
  5. the hard disk motor having a current leak

The only thing you can do easily is to try the procedure and hard disk with another PSU.

Otherwise you need to use a multimeter to check the actual current drawn at connection/spin-up.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

I'm totally agree with you and I also suspect on my cheap "Made in Chine" PSU.

It would be great that I have another full working SATA HDD and try "hot connecting" with it.

Unfortunately, I don't have another HDD right now :( .

But, I will try today procedure with new Cooler Master 400W PSU, or using another PC.