The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Another success, my 1 TB drive is back alive.

Just some info to help others out ;

My drive was a ST31000333as 1 TB drive with firmware SD25,

and it was in the BSY state (not detected in the bios)

@ VideoRipper: Firmware SD25 is affected and can be corrected with this procedure :yes:

@MAH: Pin12??? You should use pin 6,7&8 see link in my post earlier on the page.

If your computer sees the cable without anything connected to it and install drivers for it, there is a very good chance the cable will work, otherwise try another cable or the recommended method.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi all, I too have a dead Seagate SD15 HDD that needs recovery. I have ordered a Nokia CA-42 cable but am having trouble figuring out which is RX, TX and GND, can anyone here pls help? I have attached the pic below:

2010-08-25_16_32_58.jpg

post-302117-128273396895_thumb.jpg

@michaelc. it is easier from the other side. The link in my post #3125 gives quite a good explanation how to do it.

Thanks, does that mean that I should also open up the other end of the CA-42 (the end that is supposed to connect to the Nokia phone) and trace the cable that is soldered on PIN6=RX, PIN7=TX and PIN8=GND as shown in your buffalo wiki link?

@ VideoRipper: Firmware SD25 is affected and can be corrected with this procedure :yes:

@MAH: Pin12??? You should use pin 6,7&8 see link in my post earlier on the page.

If your computer sees the cable without anything connected to it and install drivers for it, there is a very good chance the cable will work, otherwise try another cable or the recommended method.

When I cut open the CA-42 cable the wire pins were originaly

pin 12 - blue

pin 4 - red

pin 6 - orange

My computer recoginzed the cable and installed the driver. In device manager it was installed like another com port.

Do I need to desolder the wires and solder them to the correct pin layout - pin 6,7 and 8?

or is the pins which were originaly set when the cable arrived are the correct layout - because my pc installed it.

I will try the pins 6,7 and 8 and let you know what I get.

@ MAH: The fact that your cable was installed as another com port probably means you got a working cable. :thumbup

If you look at the link provided and the picture of the Nokia end of the cable, you will see six pins that can be connected to the phone. They are numbered 3-8. I really do not understand where you get pin 12??? :unsure:

@ MAH: The fact that your cable was installed as another com port probably means you got a working cable. :thumbup

If you look at the link provided and the picture of the Nokia end of the cable, you will see six pins that can be connected to the phone. They are numbered 3-8. I really do not understand where you get pin 12??? :unsure:

This is the type of CA-42 cable I have.

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/15784923.jpg/

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/82528310.jpg/

MAH, As I have been trying to explain several times to you, you are looking at the wrong end of the cable. Do not look at the USB end that is connected to the computer as they are all different due to different manufacturers. :no: The other end of the cable which normally connects to the Nokia phone has 6 pins which is standard as they have to be in sequence. Did you look at the link provided?

MAH, As I have been trying to explain several times to you, you are looking at the wrong end of the cable. Do not look at the USB end that is connected to the computer as they are all different due to different manufacturers. :no: The other end of the cable which normally connects to the Nokia phone has 6 pins which is standard as they have to be in sequence. Did you look at the link provided?

Sorry about that. The cable has three wires the pin layout is the same as the link.

pin 6 - rxd - blue

pin 7 - txd - red

pin 8 - gnd - orange

I checked on the USB side and the ground wire was abit loose. I resoldered that. I will test it on the hdd. I will let you know how I get on.

@MAH. Good :thumbup Now you can just do a loopback test to ensure everything is setup correctly before you connect it to the HDD. If that is successful, the hard part is over. The rest is just Monkey See, Monkey do. ;)

Finally found my cable. I cut the end (see pic) and have marked each pin. I would like for you guys to look over and verify that it is correct before I connect it to my dead hdd.

When the cable is connected to the computer, the computer recognizes it as a USB/SERIAL and gives it a COM4 port. This means that it is working, correct?

EDIT: I connected PIN 6 and 7 together and did a loopback test. It worked. I see text on the terminal screen.

I still will not go ahead until one of you guys okay this picture. :lol:

post-299951-035377000 1283047799_thumb.j

Edited by annoyedman

Hi Annoyedman

When the cable is connected to the computer, the computer recognizes it as a USB/SERIAL and gives it a COM4 port. This means that it is working, correct?

That means the cable is working :thumbup

I connected PIN 6 and 7 together and did a loopback test. It worked. I see text on the terminal screen.

That means the two wires that is your Rx and Tx were identified correctly and your comminications line are setup correctly :thumbup

Your pic looks right. Remember Rx of the cable goes to Tx of the hdd and Tx of the cable goes to Rx of the hdd. Anyway, if you got those two wrong it is safe to change them.

Good luck and let us know what happened.

Edited by BlouBul

I am stuck. I would appreciate some help here.

I have connected the (CA-42)RX->TX(HDD) TX->RX and GND->GND.

Keep in mind that the HDD is not powered on at all (not connected to PSU).

As soon as I plug in GND, I get garbage lines, and they keep refreshing themselves.

I am stuck. I would appreciate some help here.

I have connected the (CA-42)RX->TX(HDD) TX->RX and GND->GND.

Keep in mind that the HDD is not powered on at all (not connected to PSU).

As soon as I plug in GND, I get garbage lines, and they keep refreshing themselves.

Thats strange :blink:

Did you put some insulation tape around the pins to prevent them touching each other?