The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I just signed up after reading most of the posts here. I've been trying to hyperterminal into the drive, but keep repeating 'C' in the response. I can press ctrl+z and it displays F3 but then says input error and goes back to putting the 'C' on the screen. I have verified that loopback works and both RX-TX and TX-RX and GND are all in the correct locations. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Shivels

but keep repeating 'C' in the response.

Huh? :unsure:

Do you get this response with the PCB off the drive (not touching the motor

and/or heads terminals) or on?

Can you please state exactly what the label on the drive says?

(You can leave out the serialnumber if you wish)

Copy the HyperTerminal window to the clipboard ("Edit"->"Select all"->CTRL+C)

and paste it into your reply (CTRL+V) between -CODE-tags.

Greetz,

Peter.

Hello. I would like to thank everybody in this forum for giving me hope in recovering my Seagate 7200.11 HD on BSY state. Not sure if a similar problem has been posted on the thread already. I followed the setup instruction posted by Gradius using a new 3V CR2032 battery, USB to RS232 cable and RS232 to TTL adapter. Did a loop back test using hyperterminal which turn out ok however whenever I connect my TX,RX and GND terminals to the HD PCB I was getting a bunch of ASCII codes without typing anything yet. I pressed ctrl+z and nothing happens. I waited for a good 15 minutes hoping that the ASCII codes wills stop but it keeps on going. I even tried it with cardstock on the HD PCB but I still get the same problem. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Check GROUNDING.

"random" characters may come from that.

CHECK the read-me-first, point #7:

EVERYTHING should be GROUNDed.

CHECK the RS-232->TTL converter: is it at 3.3V levels?

(or post a link to where you got it from)

jaclaz

Can 7200.12 using same Method? ST3500418AS

The whole idea of a read-me-first:

is to actually READ it BEFORE posting yet another time the same question, ALREADY answered n times.:

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

Notwithstanding the above, this info may be useful to solve a number of similar problems on a whole range of similar hard disks, but in this case information here needs to be checked and verified if applies to your different HD.

In other words your mileage may (and WILL) vary.

WHAT :w00t: is the difficult part in the above?

In other words, this thread is ONLY for 7200.11 and ONLY for the 7200.11 affected by this specific problem.

It is not a "miracle cure" for ALL hard disk.

It is not a "miracle cure" for ANY problem on ANY hard disk.

Will it work on your 7200.12 affected by whatever problem originated by whatever cause?

Yes/No.

(or if you prefer the answer is "a suffusion of yellow")

Start a new thread if you want (hopefully) some support for your problem, but DO NOT expect anything actually tested, reliable or accurate, noone here is a "Hard Disk Expert".

Had you spent two minutes in SEARCHING for 7200.12, you would have seen these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=145646

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=134961

And also had taken the time to read just five posts above yours, in this same page ....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

NO. :(

The guide uses this one:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=11

the new version of which is this one:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=28

Please notice how the word "TTL" is used in the description of BOTH the above.

Notice also how on the product you linked to there is NO mention of "TTL" but mention of "UART".

Cannot say if it means anything :unsure:, but the FT232R:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232R.htm

can output different levels, depending on how the board is made:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT232R.pdf

1. If pin 4 of the IC is connected to pin 17 it is configured for 3.3 V (right for this use)
  2. If pin 4 of the IC is connected to pin 20 or however to + 5v CC (possibly wrong for this use)

So I do not need to plug in the GND or the 5V+ wire to anywhere on the HDD, just the RX and TX.

You are of course perfectly free to do whatever you want :), but this is NOT what is recommended, please check point #7 of the read-me-first:

jaclaz

I understand. Apologises that I replied so late, I had a lot on my plate. My reasoning for getting that item was because I use a modern computer which does not have a serial output, hence requiring me to get something with a USB output.

Does the nokia wire work for this method?

I understand. Apologises that I replied so late, I had a lot on my plate. My reasoning for getting that item was because I use a modern computer which does not have a serial output, hence requiring me to get something with a USB output.

NO prob, BUT :realmad::

Does the nokia wire work for this method?

sure it works, if you have the "right" Nokia cable and you find the "right" pinout.

AGAIN, READ the read-me-first FIRST, it is there to avoid having yet ANOTHER POST in this thread with the SAME questions, ALREADY answered n times. :

Point #10 covers EXACTLY your question.

jaclaz

sure it works, if you have the "right" Nokia cable and you find the "right" pinout.

AGAIN, READ the read-me-first FIRST, it is there to avoid having yet ANOTHER POST in this thread with the SAME questions, ALREADY answered n times. :

Point #10 covers EXACTLY your question.

jaclaz

Anyway to verify if I have the correct pinout? Point 10 is not very clear on this point.

Anyway to verify if I have the correct pinout? Point 10 is not very clear on this point.

And the reason for that is clearly stated at #10:

[...] but due to the fact that there are so many different versions of these cables, [...]

Because there are so many fakes around (without any destinctive markings) it's

impossible to compose a list of "Wires" for Nokia clone-cable "X" :no:

But... if you think something is not clear (in the read-me or in this thread),

please do say so and we'll take care it will get clearified :yes:

Greetz,

Peter.

Annoyedman, if you are determined to go the non-recommended route, you can get pinouts here: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Use_a_Nokia_Serial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation If you want to be sure your cable works, check that your computer picks it up without anything connected to it, before you decapitate the cable, then you can exchange it for a working one if it does not work.

Edited by BlouBul

Thank you for your help. My reason for going the non-recommended route is two fold:

1. I do not have a serial output on my computer.

2. I already possess a CA-42 wire.

I will report back in a few days.

@BlouBul: thank you for the link. It will be helpful.

I have a Seagate St3500820AS 500GB 7200.11 SD25 firmware hard drive. I had it connected as a internal drive for extra storage. I used a pci to sata card to connect the drive. About a week ago I turned my pc on and it froze at the splash screen where it says windows xp with the blue bar going across. After a few test I disconnected the seagate drive and my pc booted up fine. I have another drive connected the same way through the sata to pci card, I switched the cables around to see if thats the problem but it froze again at the windows xp splash screen.

I read the forums and tried the solution. I had a max232 adaptor I connected the hard drive to it and used 2 AA batteries to power it. When I press ctrl Z i get nothing in hyperterminal I double checked all cables and reversed the tx/rx still nothing. I also tried it with the nokia CA-42 cable its got 3 cables blue, red and orange. I tried a loopback test and when I connect the blue and red wires together I get these wierd characters in hyperterminal without typing anything. Assuming that the blue and red wires are the tx/rx and orange being ground I tried again but I still didn't get an response when pressing ctrl Z. I switched the cables around but still no luck.

The pin layout for the CA-42 cable is:

blue - pin 12

orange - pin 6

red - pin 4

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Do I need to get a proper RS232 to TTL adaptor?

Is the CA-42 cable that I have one of the working ones?

I have a Seagate St3500820AS 500GB 7200.11 SD25 firmware hard drive.

[...]

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Yes, you certainly did :whistle:

You forgot to read this readme-first thread first: :unsure:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 READ ME FIRST

Make sure you notice the difference between your firmware version (#1) and

the one covered here and the notes about the CA-42 cable (#10).

Greetz,

Peter.