The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I'm a bit confused now... :unsure:

A little time later you wrote:

Update: I powered it off to reconnect it in a better place and [...] when I disconnect the PCB from the main hard disk, it responds to ctrl+z.

Maybe you should check if the TX- and RX-wires to your RS232 <=> TTL interface

are properly making contact (and be sure the ground is also connected).

If that doesn't work... well, maybe your PCB indeed is fried, who knows? :huh:

Greetz,

Peter.

I'm a bit confused now... :unsure:

A little time later you wrote:

Update: I powered it off to reconnect it in a better place and [...] when I disconnect the PCB from the main hard disk, it responds to ctrl+z.

Maybe you should check if the TX- and RX-wires to your RS232 <=> TTL interface

are properly making contact (and be sure the ground is also connected).

If that doesn't work... well, maybe your PCB indeed is fried, who knows? :huh:

Greetz,

Peter.

After test the hyperterminal connection with the PCB removed from the HD, I tried to remove the "BUSY" problem following the how-to. All seemed good during the process but when I restarted the disk, it doesn't respond to any command in hyperterminal.

Now the disk is detected by BIOS, but not by Windows and it doesn't respond to the inputs I've tried in the hyperterminal.

Thanks

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 26.788 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

F3 2>

any solutions?

Hi all

First of all, thanks to all of you for this great thread.

I've a Seagate STM3160813AS 7.200.11 with MC1H firmware, and it dies last YEAR. I used a CA-42 cable, and all goes ok. As you know, i must get a message like this

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level =14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

But, at the end, i get this one

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level =00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

??? Yeah, The line "User Partition Format 10%,..." is missing. I've tried several times, but at the end, i get the same message: always without this line. HDD don't work. BIOS NOT recognize it.

Any idea?

Edited by rameshk

Seagate Barracuda 500M ST3500620AS

HELP! HELP! Please

I am trying to recover this HD showing BIOHD-2 Error code, BIOS does not recognize it at all.

I reworked a Nokia ca-53 USB cable. I used GND (pin 4 on USB), Data+ (pin 3 on USB) as RX on HDD, Data- (pin 2 on USB) as TX on HDD. My main problem in that connecting the USB cable to a working PC I get the message "unknown USB device", so I do not have any possibility to start Hyperterminal, is anybody able to suggest me a solution.

Forget me if my english is not so good, I am Italian and I am trying to do my best.

Thanks in advance, Silverfox (maybe not to smart as a fox!)

Thanks in advance, Silverfox (maybe not to smart as a fox!)

Maybe blind as a bat? (translates to cieco come una talpa ;))

We have a sticky:

EXACTLY to convey the idea of:

NOT using a Nokia cable

These problems are the ones that take the most part of this thread:

• wrong/missing connections/schematics
  • "fake" cables manufactured by every other Chinese electronic firm around using different chips and drivers
  • extreme difficulties in finding the "right" driver
  • extreme difficulties in actually installing the "right" driver, IF found

Some "Nokia" cables draw power from the telephone in normal operation and NEED to be powered from the non-USB size and connected in order to even install the drivers, see point #11 of the mentioned sticky.

A cheap "real" thing can be found for a handful of Euros, example (for Italy):

http://cgi.ebay.it/Cavo-Seriale-JTAG-USB-TTL-rs232-fonera-DD-WRT-Seagate-/230488097483?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cavi_Prolunghe_Convertitori&hash=item35aa2942cb

jaclaz

I've a Seagate STM3160813AS 7.200.11 with MC1H firmware,

[...]

But, at the end, i get this one

As you might already have noticed, this thread is about 7200.11 drives running SD15 firmware.

While the info *might* be useful on other drive-types and/or firmware-version, we have no

experience with other drives/firmware, so you're completely on your own with them.

It *may* be possible to use the SD15 procedure as a guide, but you really have to interpret

what is done in the procedure here and transpose it to commands/steps for your drive.

Since I'm not familiar with problems on your drive-type and firmware, it wouldn't surprise

me if it actually suffers from an entirely different problem. :unsure:

Greetz,

Peter.

Gradius...

Need your assistance with Seagate harddrive..

I have all components to fix the BUSY state problem. I have connected as follows:

I have soldered jumper wires to the Voltage, Ground, rx and tx ports on Rs232 shifter SMD. Connected from shifter smd to opposite rx tx on Seagate drive and voltage and grnd to power supply from Computer. Made sure that I used only red and black wires for Max 5volts.

First According to your instructions I did not power up the seagate with sata power. So the only power is 5volts to rs232 smd shifter...and with this i did not get the required prompt on Hyperterminal... instead I get a Right arrow.

Secondly, I tried powering up the pcb with Sata power from comp( segate powerd and also Rs232 powerd.. the hyperterminal answer i get is "port cannot be opened". I am using usb to serial cable.

Please advise..

(

First things first, maridadi :whistle:

• First make sure your communications-device is seen in Windows (install correct driver)
  • Then make sure the device (itself) is working properly (create a loopback) without
    anything attached to it.
  • After that, try to make things happen: get a command-prompt from the drive's PCB
    and see if it responds to anything you type (everything should be echood back).
    If it isn't responding try to get it working by reversing the RX- and TX-lines double-
    checking the connection-properties (baudrate, flow-control, etc.)

You didn't tell us what (brand, type of) USB -> (TTL) RS232 convertor you're using. :unsure:

We need to have as much as possible (relevant) information before anything can be said.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

You didn't tell us what (brand, type of) USB -> (TTL) RS232 convertor you're using. :unsure:

How many "Rs232 shifter SMD" are there around? :whistle:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449

@maridadi

Check ATTENTIVELY these (about 15 posts starting from here) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2326

AND points 6 to 10 in the "reame_first":

jaclaz

ok after several months of ignoring this non-working maxtor basics 500GB external hd, i decided to open it and see if it works as a internal hd. of course: no success. yesterday i checked for the first time what hd was inside, a-ha: seagate barracuda 7200.11, google.... and ooh my see what fancy HD i got there! that so many people seem to love and try to put it back to work, giving solutions how to fix and so on.. you all know better than me. but that just gave me the courage to try it myself now! :)

so far i figured out, that i seem to have the BSY one cause its not detected in my BIOS.

next step, i read a lot threads and walkthroughs and have a slight idea of what is going on...

so now i need equipment. luckily i have a T6 but i still need some kind of adapter

and there is now my questions:

did anyone try THIS ONE and can recommend it? seems like it is the way of minimal work and money ;)

im just about to buy it but wonder two things:

1. the power comes from the usb and gives 3.3V so i wont need the gnd cable or battery or anything, right?

2. do those 2.54mm plugs fit into the 7200.11's RX and TX?

thx for any help :)

did anyone try THIS ONE and can recommend it? seems like it is the way of minimal work and money ;)

im just about to buy it but wonder two things:

1. the power comes from the usb and gives 3.3V so i wont need the gnd cable or battery or anything, right?

2. do those 2.54mm plugs fit into the 7200.11's RX and TX?

It looks like you've found a winner (though I haven't tested it myself)! :thumbup

According to the description it is self-powered, outputting 3.3V TTL signals, which is perfect.

The 2.54mm pitched plug won't fit directly, since the drive uses a 2mm pitched connector, but

that will only be a small hurdle to take: just fiddle the wires from the housing and connect

them directly to the pins (in the right order, of course) ;)

You might need to pinch them a bit to make them fit snugly.

Keep us posted: it may help others in finding a good working (and cheap) convertor :hello:

Greetz,

Peter.

Yep, the FTDI PL303 chip is said to be very reliable.

You won't need an external power source, NO. :thumbup

It is STRONGLY recommended to use GROUND, ALWAYS! :realmad:

READ points #6 and #7 in the read-me-first:

Don't you wonder WHY that adapter has THREE leads (Tx/Rx/GND)?

Or do you think they haven't thought of saving 0.01 US$ and give you just Tx and Rx? ;)

Should you want TWO of them and with also a +5V line:

http://cgi.ebay.it/2x-USB-auf-Seriell-Adapter-Kabel-Konverter-TTL-RS232-PC-/320550268639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DE_Technik_Computerzubeh%C3%B6r_Kabel_Adapter&hash=item4aa248eedf

Seriously, only to confirm that the PL2303 is a known "good work horse".

From the photo on your link it seems not like a 2.54 mm plug, but rather single connectors, that you can use allright, all you will need is (maybe) a pair of pliers to "tighten" them a bit...

This is a Dupont connector housing 2.54:

http://cgi.ebay.it/50pcs-Dupont-Connector-Housing-Female-2-54mm-2x5P-/140368742795

i.e. it's a "housing" for the single wire connectors.

If you want an actual 2 mm pitch plug, you can have it with a *small* surcharge :w00t::

http://cgi.ebay.it/INTERFACCIA-USB-3V-TTL-per-HD-Seagate-7200-11-no-rs232-/190387498311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Accessori_per_Radioamatori&hash=item2c53faad47

Sometimes I cannot believe it, the Italian text:

Questo prodotto e montato con componenti professionali.

il connettore lato HD e passo 2mm originale americano

questo e importante, altrimenti si rischia di perdere i dati sul HD

means:

This product is assembled with professional components.

the connector on HD side is 2 mm pitch original american

this is important, otherwise you risk loosing the data on the HD

:ph34r:

jaclaz