The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

IT LIVES AGAIN!

Thanks to jaclaz for those wonderful links, connecting the CA-42 red wire to the 5v rail worked perfectly!

Almost botched it by forgetting capitalization in the commands, but all is well.

Thanks again all!

Only to happy to have contributed to yet another happy bunny! :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128727&st=10

jaclaz

If it's allright, I can put together a "READ this BEFORE" post on order to disambiguate the most common requests.

I will PM it to you as soon as I hvae put it together, and then - after review - I can post it as a new thread, that you may want to make sticky.

BTW, this thread should be made sticky too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

That would be good indeed, I'll sticky that one directly and unpin this monster of a topic ;).

I pinned your other post as well, I saw it before but never thought about to pin it, but, better later than never!

So, if I get this right, it's mostly working but people don't know how to use the phone to USB cables and rebuild it. I thought that half the time it wasn't working because of a non compatible setup (I got that part of 5V from USB or 3.3V from phone (so a SR2023 battery is needed for example)).

Any way, thank you for what you have done so far and I look forward to pin your new FAQ / Topic!

WOOOOOOOHA!

I dont know how to thank you!

My disk is up and running again! I`m currently doing a backup of the system but want to update the firmware later.

Is there a recommendation which firmware to choose for the following HD:

ST3500620AS

current Firmware: HP24

Congratulations, Salami! :thumbup

Since it's an HP OEM version (but still a Seagate), I suggest you contact

your HP distributor for a swap; chances are likely you'll get the same

problem in 18 months time (or so), even after updating the firmware... :}

As my machine is not under warranty any more, i`ll buy a new HD.

So you think for the next days i will be fine with the "repaired" HD until i got a new one?

So you think for the next days i will be fine with the "repaired" HD until i got a new one?

Yes, your drive will be fine, just keep in mind that it *might* brick again in about

12-18 months time (after which you can unbrick it again).

It should be safe to replace the drive with a new one and only keep the old one

as a spare in the cupboard, maybe you want to perform a firmware update (if

you can figure out what firmware it needs...)

As long as you don't expect the drive to be fully reliable, there's not much that

can go wrong ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

I finally got my HDD working again!

Great news, Nc1224! :thumbup

Don't forget to make a note of this:

In case of success, DON'T EVEN THINK to consider the unbricked hard disk as "FULLY WORKING" and avoid backing up the DATA (the drive has failed, and like all HD's will fail - again - sooner or later).

Greetz,

Peter.

I ordered me a new Western Digital HD today and will keep the Seagate for useless stuff as 2nd HD.

Still, i dont know how to thank this forum and especially this thread that helped me getting my data back.

Short Summary of my Story so far:

-Bought a CA-42 China Cable as i dont have any computer with an RS-232 Port and it seemed quite convenient.

-CA-42 Clone didnt work out because lack of knowledge on my side or the cable itself

-Bought a USB-TTL Converter online (2 endless days + 14 Euros for me)

1. Soldered TX/RX Cables to the Converter

2. Tried the "Loop" test in Hyperterminal = perfect, i see the echo

3. Connected the TX/RX to the HD, pressed Ctrl+Z = nothing

4. Swapped TX/RX connections, pressed Ctrl+Z = Nothing

5. Learned that i also have to connect the GRND Cable from the USB->TTL converter to the HD

6. Connection is now working, i can communicate with the HD after Ctrl+Z

7. As the Power cables of the HD are quite short, i had to place HD in an upright position. What i did, was dismounting the Controller from the HD and fixed it back with only 1 Screw.

What I thought: When the moment comes and the frog jumps into the water (german phrase), means to pull the cardboard, i simply press the controller to the HD to make contact which should be sufficient. But i was wrong! After pulling the cardboard, pressing the Controller to the HD, trying to spin up the HD the Board was getting ridicously hot (i nearly burned my fingers) and the HD was making the Clicking Sound of Death. FCUCK FCUCK FCUCK! Hyperterminal displayed several error messages, Read/Write Errors/Errorcodes etc. Power off...

8. Took a deep breath.

9. Read along in the forums and learned that nearly every Screw on the Controller is a Ground connection. If the Screws are not in Place, the Drive Motor does not have enough Power for a full pull and fall back contiunally which is causing the clicking noise (Very simplified).

10. The Frog jumps again, i pulled the cardboard, holded the PCB in place, fixed ALL screws back in place, spinned up the Motor + all additional commands and FCUCK YEAH it`s alive!

My Solution out of this process:

RTFM! (First Post etc.)

And again: THANK YOU FOLKS!

Finally got this to work. I tried 2 Nokia CA-42 cables and one "PC USB to RS232 Module Based TTL FTDI FT232BM/BL Chip", all without success.

Just got a "Serial Converter USB 2.0 To TTL UART 6PIN Module CP2102", which worked flawlessly. I followed the instructions and had no issues whatsoever. My drive is once again alive after 2 months of trying!

I highly recommend the device I used: Serial Converter USB 2.0 To TTL UART 6PIN Module CP2102. All I had to do was connect RX and TX and it worked perfectly!

Awesome!

Edited by bigleg

Now that I've fixed my drive, I'm looking for the firmware update. The drive came out of a Lacie, so Seagate says they won't help me (ridiculous). Lacie hasn't responded yet.

Does anyone have the firmware update for my drive? Its information: ST3500620AS, firmware LC11.

I would greatly appreciate getting a copy of this so I don't have to deal with either company's customer service.