The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

To VideoRipper : what I had mean is that when we plug just the cable CA-42 to the USB of the mobo there is no appereance of the device (Ca-42) in the device manager or the sound (when you plug a USB stick).There are some CA-42 wich will trigger their appearence in the device manager when the tool (Nokia phone) is connected to the CA-42.

If my memory serves me correctly, my computer recognizes the CA-42 cable when the USB is plugged in even when nothing is on the other end once the driver has been properly installed. I think on my desktop, I was able to install the driver first and then the computer connected the driver to the CA-42 cable. On my laptop, I had to first connect the CA-42 to the usb port and then it prompted me for the driver. Either way, I do not believe the CA-42 cable was connected to my hdd.

Are you saying that your computer does not recognize it at all? Try a different USB port that has a direct connection, some USB ports are part of hubs that are internal to the computer.

Do you have the driver, not the Nokia suite, for your CA-42 cable?

Edited by mundy5

I have a hard drive Seagate (from IBM Server)

ST 3500320NS ERRO FIMRWARE

Like we tried to explain over again: this thread is intended for original Seagate drives

using SD15 firmware; other versions or special OEM products *may* work, but since we

don't own those other drives, it's up to you to investigate and experiment (and you *can try*

to use Gradius' procedure, but no guarantee or any real help can be given). :unsure:

But if you are successful in unbricking other types of drives, please let us know! :hello:

I have tried with dku5

On Terminal press CTRL + Z: not found "F3 T>"

but failed

That doesn't really suprise me when I have look at your HyperTerminal-window :no:

ht-settings.png

Greetz,

Peter.

when we plug just the cable CA-42 to the USB of the mobo there is no appereance of the device (Ca-42) in the device manager or the sound

I don't own an original or clone CA-42 cable myself, but it is widely known

that the clones don't respond the same as original cables do.

Apparently your clone-cable really needs to see a phone attached for it to

function or get initialized/seen by the system. :unsure:

You could try to use another USB-port (not on a hub), preferably one that

is directly attached to the motherboard (at the back) like Mundy suggests

or maybe even on another system, but it's just a long shot.

If you can get your hands on a computer with a real on-board COM-port you

could use the MAX232 option.

If that's not an option you get yourself one of the other USB->TTL-RS232

solutions around.

Greetz,

Peter.

when we plug just the cable CA-42 to the USB of the mobo there is no appereance of the device (Ca-42) in the device manager or the sound

I don't own an original or clone CA-42 cable myself, but it is widely known

that the clones don't respond the same as original cables do.

Apparently your clone-cable really needs to see a phone attached for it to

function or get initialized/seen by the system. :unsure:

You could try to use another USB-port (not on a hub), preferably one that

is directly attached to the motherboard (at the back) like Mundy suggests

or maybe even on another system, but it's just a long shot.

If you can get your hands on a computer with a real on-board COM-port you

could use the MAX232 option.

If that's not an option you get yourself one of the other USB->TTL-RS232

solutions around.

Greetz,

Peter.

I'm not so sure about the problems reported on the clone CA-42 cables. I have a clone made in China that worked fine. I think there might be "human error" involved. Anyway, I am one who used a Chinese made CA-42 cable with success.

SOrry for the duplicate post, i started a new topic by mistake when I meant to start one here... soz! :}

hi all

ive been fixing these 7200.11 BSY drives for a long time now using the original fix posted from Gradius (kudos to you mate!)

so a client dropped off a drive (Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB) and I ran through the normal process, and still nothing... drive doesnt pick up at BIOS. So I was like OK... and did the optional extra step in his guide (which I have never done before)... still no luck!

So I followed the post from Aviko (on this forum)

ok lets start from scratch, try this:

put some isolation under connector to heads (paper plastic etc.) motor have to be connected. power up drive. enter terminal, press ctrl+z.

and this i am not sure, i havent any 7200.11 here to check, you have to try

first try:

wait until motor stops itself. then enter /2 and Z

if you got message spin down completed remove isolation from pcb and mha connector (mha - magnetic heads assembly)

screw on pcb to hdd. if you still dont get CC or CE its really good.

now wake up drive with command U

motor should be started and you should not get any error messages, otherwise you have to start again from begin.

when drive spins up, go to level T (just enter /)

now type F,,22

should appear message about restoring to defaults.

then

F3 t>/1

then

F3 1>N1

if drive goes back to prompt ask for further instructions

Now the drive is showing in the BIOS, but when I get into Windows it picks up the drive under device manager as a 2TB drive, but doesnt show under my computer.

Can you advise me as to what I might do to get around this?

Many thanks,

Richard from South Africa

Hi @All from Germany!

Yesterday my Seagate 7200.11 bricked.

After i read all night long why it hook up and what can be done, i stumbled by 4 AM over this forum.

At 9AM i went to the local Radio Shack to get me a Nokia Data Cable which was not so easy as this specific cable is only used by the older series from Nokia. Anyway...

I opened the USB Connector with the big "MADE IN CHINA" Sticker on it and of course: no writing on the PCB and 5 cables. One of the cables was isolated and i measured that this is the 3.3V Cable (makes sense). So i started Hyper Terminal, entered the needed Settings and tried cable by cable to get a "loop" and to find out which is TX/RX. I ended up testing all possible variations of settings in Hyperterminal and all possible Cable connections (beside the live one) and in about 100 tries i had ONE loop (makes NO sense). Frustrating... I think the data cable is not working properly or was defective out-of-the-box or whatever. I just ordered a USB->TTL converter and hope this will work...

The data on the HD is very valuable for me (pics etc.) so i also phoned some professional Data Recovery Services. They all acted like this problem is totally new and very uncommon, but offered me their services for 200-500 Euros.

I did not went through all Pages of this Thread (but mostly), but can someone confirm that the China Cable sometimes fail? On the PCB of the Cable is 2303HX Chip, maybe that is of help?

Sorry for my English! I surely will ask more questions after the USB->TTL converter arrived :-)

Thanks!

I did not went through all Pages of this Thread (but mostly), but can someone confirm that the China Cable sometimes fail? On the PCB of the Cable is 2303HX Chip, maybe that is of help?

Sorry for my English! I surely will ask more questions after the USB->TTL converter arrived :-)

Thanks!

Salami, we're glad that you found this post. I believe that there were reports of bad CA-42 cables but it does not look like that was the cable you purchased. The CA-42 cables from China are usually made with the prolific board. I believe 2303 is the most common. Have you also installed a driver for your 2303HX chip? That might be part of the problem.

Anyway, if you can get a hold of a CA-42 cable, we can try to help or make sure that you have installed a driver for your particular cable. They do not work out of the box.

Hi Mundy5,

Prolific is the manufacturer, right! There was a CD included in the package and i installed the driver prior to connecting the cable. Hardware Monitor is not showing any yellow ?. Most of the times i get "Can not connect to COM Port" Errors from Hyperterminal, but after 5-10 tries i have a connection but no loop response whatever i try. I also looked up the System Monitor for Processes that are listening on com ports but everything seems to be fine. I tried the cable on my Netbook and the Laptop from my Girl, same result on all USB Ports, all bps Settings, all Protocols, all cable connections...

I asked in several Shops (it kept me busy all day...) for a original Nokia CA-42, but failed. They all only have the clone.

Hopefully things get better with the USB-TTL Board.

Hopefully things get better with the USB-TTL Board.

Sure it will, as a USB-TTL is the APPROPRIATE tool, the CA-42 is a SUBSTITUTE tool and due to the number of good and bad cables around it looks like it is a 33% to 50 % probability of getting a "working" one.

To recap once again:

1. get an appropriate converter, this thread is choking full of examples to build one AND links to pre-made ones.
  2. DO NOT go for a CA-42 cable, unless you ALREADY have a CA-42 cable lying around, in which case ONLY it is worth a shot :thumbup , chances are that you will :ph34r: :
    • lose some money
    • lose some time
    • post on this tread the nth time whining :( about a CA-42 NOT working (which, as said is very, very, VERY common).

If you are interested on the reasons WHY these ca-42 cables may (or more probably may completely FAIL to) work, read about what they are used for (M-bus/F-BUS, etc.):

http://www.panuworld.net/nuukiaworld/hardware/cables/index.htm

In a nutshell, and in VERY simplified terms :blushing:, NOKIA phones use a "protocol" that is a "subset" of the one we need in order to "talk" to the HD.

It should NOT be a surprise that some cables can use the "whole" and some can only use the "subset" (which work on Nokia phones but not on the HD).

The above is EXPECIALLY valid for people that have problems/difficulties/are not familiar with finding out the appropriate connections/wires, USB-TTL or RS232-TTL converters have MARKED input and output pins/connectors.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I just got the Nokia Ca-42 cable today, installed the drivers, connected the cable... nada. No detection at all.

As far as I know his is the "genuine" cable from Thailand (S/N:108382627301), and I've tried all the drivers I can find online. The included disk has NO visible INF files (they must be packed inside another file).

Also tried it on my wife's computer to no effect. Can anyone give me suggestions, other than return said cable?

Also tried it on my wife's computer to no effect. Can anyone give me suggestions, other than return said cable?

Some cables NEED a telephone connected to it in order to work.

Actually the NEED is for power that is drawn from the telephone battery. (if you check a number of Nokia tweaking guides, you will see that the pre-requisite is that of having a fully charged battery in the phone)

The serial number may mean that it is original or that it is a well done "fake".

In other words the TTL converter needs to be powered somehow.

Some cables draw the power from the +5v/0v from the USB side.

Some cables draw the power from the +÷3v/0v from the telephone side.

Until the TTL converter is not powered, the device is not detected in Windows.

Read these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=1805

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=1827

jaclaz

Jaclaz, shall I edit the first post in this topic? Split it up (coffeefiend had that idea too) to a new topic and give credit to the appropriated person? You make a new topic and I'll pin that one...

Any ideas on this?

I see that a lot of people buy useless cables that are suitable for cellphones but not to "talk" with the HDD, so I would like to add that to the fits post as a warning ;).

VideoRipper, you have done some great work too, I won't forget that (goed werk maat ;))

Jaclaz, shall I edit the first post in this topic? Split it up (coffeefiend had that idea too) to a new topic and give credit to the appropriated person? You make a new topic and I'll pin that one...

Any ideas on this?

If it's allright, I can put together a "READ this BEFORE" post on order to disambiguate the most common requests.

I will PM it to you as soon as I hvae put it together, and then - after review - I can post it as a new thread, that you may want to make sticky.

BTW, this thread should be made sticky too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

I see that a lot of people buy useless cables that are suitable for cellphones but not to "talk" with the HDD, so I would like to add that to the fits post as a warning ;).

The point is slightly different. :whistle:

You can build an interface capable of connecting to (and hopefully de-bricking :)) a segate drive with almost ANY kind of electronic junk you have in your basement.

(I posted a number of schematics to this effect)

The problem is rarely (please read as "never") the actual cable, it's a PBCAK. :ph34r:

The LESS the user knows about electronics and installing a virtual COM device in Windows, the MORE he/she is attracted by the CA-42 solution. :w00t:

I am pretty sure that, exception made for a few DOA's, all the cables are perfectly functional, but due to the number of "real" ones, and "fake" ones and different releases, and what not, each one needs to be checked and connected PROPERLY and in some cases externally powered, and each one may have different cable colour coding and what not.

We started with:

• a given OS
  • a given connection app
  • a given kind of hardware

and little by little everyone tried:

• a different OS
  • a different connection app
  • a different kind of hardware

which is of course allright :thumbup , the only problem is the whining about the modified things resulting in a not working result, when the same "error" and solutions to the "same" modifications/variations to the original tutorial(s) have been posted n times.

I do understand that this thread has grown to an unmanageable size, but what the heck, half of my posts are of the kind "please read this previous post where EXACTLY the same problem has been solved"....

... I will try to do my best to sum up the common requests and create a sort of FAQ/FGA:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/fga-not-faq.html

at least we can start to post "Have you read FAQ #x?"

jaclaz

VideoRipper, you have done some great work too, I won't forget that (goed werk maat ;))

Hey... you know Dutch :w00t:

Just trying to be of help, whenever possible; I don't know the answer to everything :angel

Graag gedaan!

Edited by VideoRipper

IT LIVES AGAIN!

Thanks to jaclaz for those wonderful links, connecting the CA-42 red wire to the 5v rail worked perfectly!

Almost botched it by forgetting capitalization in the commands, but all is well.

Thanks again all!