The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

The device *should* at least be recognized when plugged in.

It also doesn't need an external power supply to get recognized.

You don't always need to have a "Real" (exe) installer to install drivers, though...

Didn't the device come with an installtion manual by any chance?

Hmmm, I've found the (XP) installation manual myself :whistle:

2 Installing CDM Drivers

2.1 Installing Via The Found New Hardware Wizard

To install CDM drivers for an FTDI device under Windows XP, follow the instructions below:

• [some introduction text about old drivers here...]
  • Connect the device to a spare USB port on your PC. If the device is based on the FT2232, the
    Microsoft composite device driver is automatically loaded in the background. Once the composite
    driver has been installed Windows Found New Hardware Wizard will launch.
  • [The standard procedure to install a driver follows...]
  • Open the Device Manager (located in "Control Panel\System" then select the "Hardware" tab and
    click "Device Manger") and select "View > Devices by Connection", the device appears as a "USB
    Serial Converter" with an additional COM port with the label "USB Serial Port" (Figure 2.13). If the
    device is based on the FT2232, two ports will be available from a composite USB device.

So indeed... it *should* be detected by Windows as new hardware (offering to install its drivers). :unsure:

Have you tried to connect the interface directly to a mobo's USB-port?

Some USB devices don't like to be connected through an (external) hub.

Have a look with a magnifying glass to see if all solder-joints are good.

(Sorry... couldn't come up with better ideas at the moment) :blushing:

Greetz,

Peter.

The device *should* at least be recognized when plugged in.

It also doesn't need an external power supply to get recognized.

You don't always need to have a "Real" (exe) installer to install drivers, though...

Didn't the device come with an installtion manual by any chance?

Hmmm, I've found the (XP) installation manual myself :whistle:

2 Installing CDM Drivers

2.1 Installing Via The Found New Hardware Wizard

To install CDM drivers for an FTDI device under Windows XP, follow the instructions below:

• [some introduction text about old drivers here...]
  • Connect the device to a spare USB port on your PC. If the device is based on the FT2232, the
    Microsoft composite device driver is automatically loaded in the background. Once the composite
    driver has been installed Windows Found New Hardware Wizard will launch.
  • [The standard procedure to install a driver follows...]
  • Open the Device Manager (located in "Control Panel\System" then select the "Hardware" tab and
    click "Device Manger") and select "View > Devices by Connection", the device appears as a "USB
    Serial Converter" with an additional COM port with the label "USB Serial Port" (Figure 2.13). If the
    device is based on the FT2232, two ports will be available from a composite USB device.

So indeed... it *should* be detected by Windows as new hardware (offering to install its drivers). :unsure:

Have you tried to connect the interface directly to a mobo's USB-port?

Some USB devices don't like to be connected through an (external) hub.

Have a look with a magnifying glass to see if all solder-joints are good.

(Sorry... couldn't come up with better ideas at the moment) :blushing:

Greetz,

Peter.

I have already read through the manual, as well as a lot of other troubleshooting documentation found on the website. One of the documents directed me to Microsoft's "USBView" application. According to one of FTDI's documents, if the device doesn't show up in USBView with at least a Product and Vendor ID, it is extremely likely the there is a hardware fault Document link: see page 14. Interestingly, the seller wrote back to me saying they talked to the factory, and it DOES need +5V. I am skeptical, but will try this to appease them.

Yes, I have tried connecting to mobo USB ports as well as my PCI port.

This is irritating as I've already tried two CA-42 cables, both having their own particular problems.

Interestingly, the seller wrote back to me saying they talked to the factory, and it DOES need +5V.

I find that very weird, to say the least :unsure:

A USB-port already carries a solid 5V power supply, why need an external one?

I am skeptical, but will try this to appease them.

Well I'm curious, so keep us updated on your progress.

Peter.

This is true, but the drive came from an Iomega enclosure. The model numbers matched, but because it was an LC firmware (not SD), it wouldn't flash. So, I had to force it.

It's been a couple weeks and haven't bumped into any issues.

Could you please explain how exactly you proceed to FORCE the flashing? I'm having this same problem.

@qwertyu: Just scroll back a couple of pages for the answer :whistle:

Ahh.. Finally fixed the LC15 Firmware issue and successfully upgraded my drive to SD1B Firmware..

What you do is download the Firmware Upgrade ISO.. Then exit the tutorial and hit CTRL-C at the menu (yes, abort the .bat file).

Enter this command:

sf.exe -m BRINKS -f 6HBXR1B.LOD -s -x -b

After that, it'll come back to you as FW SD1B instead of FW LC15.

Also take a note of my reply!

Although I would like to emphasize that playing with the command-line

options of the firmware-updater is at the user's own risk.

Flashing a drive with incorrect/incompatible firmware will kill it.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

Interestingly, the seller wrote back to me saying they talked to the factory, and it DOES need +5V.

I find that very weird, to say the least :unsure:

A USB-port already carries a solid 5V power supply, why need an external one?

I am skeptical, but will try this to appease them.

Well I'm curious, so keep us updated on your progress.

Peter.

Not surprisingly, applying 5Volts didn't work.

Obviously... :unsure:

Well... the only thing I can think of is that the device is broken (or they've

forgot to program its EEPROM/firmware) :no:

I suggest you just return it and ask for a refund or a working one.

...and there's really no way to get those CA-42's working?

What are the issues with those two?

Greetz,

Peter.

@jengitsme

My experience confirms yours with i365. They do not appear to be interested in fixing the problem anymore. I ended up having to fix it myself, backed it up and then sent it in for exchange with Seagate since it also failed the short DST test.

I'm very disappointed in i365 for their lack of desire to help. They only want money.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

I think i365 (Netherlands) have just done the same to me. I sent them a 7200.11 500GB drive with BSY failure and they told me to pay 775€ to recover the data (then less than 500€ if I was not in a hurry). I asked them to return it to me.

Now I have a drive with something like the LBA0 problem.

I'm new here and I have one question: Does the LBA0 problem show the correct model number in BIOS?

My drive now shows itself as "IDE Hard Disk" when booting, and 0GB size in BIOS (it spins and I can hear the heads moving).

Is this the typical behaviour? Should it be as easy to fix as you are talking here?

Thank you very much!

Edited by XPG

@jengitsme

My experience confirms yours with i365. They do not appear to be interested in fixing the problem anymore. I ended up having to fix it myself, backed it up and then sent it in for exchange with Seagate since it also failed the short DST test.

I'm very disappointed in i365 for their lack of desire to help. They only want money.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

I think i365 (Netherlands) have just done the same to me. I sent them a 7200.11 500GB drive with BSY failure and they told me to pay 775€ to recover the data (then less than 500€ if I was not in a hurry). I asked them to return it to me.

Now I have a drive with something like the LBA0 problem.

I'm new here and I have one question: Does the LBA0 problem show the correct model number in BIOS?

My drive now shows itself as "IDE Hard Disk" when booting, and 0GB size in BIOS (it spins and I can hear the heads moving).

Is this the typical behaviour? Should it be as easy to fix as you are talking here?

Thank you very much!

XPG, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Your evaluation of the situation makes me hesitate in giving you any firm answers. In most cases, I believe those with the LBA0 problem had no issues with the drive being recognized properly by the BIOS. The only problem they had was that it was recognized as a null sized HDD which means, not useable. In your case, since it is not even being recognized by BIOS properly, I am not certain.

Have you verified that you have the problem firmware using the serial number checker on the seagate website? I think I have a link a few posts earlier. If so, then I think you should be able to go through the LBA0 fix to see if that corrects anything for you.

The HDD will spin up like normal and should not have any funny sounds associated with it. If it has other sounds, then you are most likely also dealing with other problems. As it was in my case which is why I returned it after backing up all the data ASAP.

Keep us updated on this.

Have you verified that you have the problem firmware using the serial number checker on the seagate website? I think I have a link a few posts earlier. If so, then I think you should be able to go through the LBA0 fix to see if that corrects anything for you.

When I enter the serial number, Seagate tells me that I can proceed with Step 4, so I understand that it's really affected.

The HDD will spin up like normal and should not have any funny sounds associated with it. If it has other sounds, then you are most likely also dealing with other problems. As it was in my case which is why I returned it after backing up all the data ASAP.

Perfect. It sounds normally.

I'm sure it's the problem associated with SD15 firmware. One day it was working properly, the following day it was not recognized by BIOS (it even caused another Seagate not to be recognized). It also made POST to last around a minute (much longer than usual) in two different computers (I think this is another symptom).

Also, the disc spun but I couldn't hear the heads afterwards (I'm not sure about this). Now I can hear the heads moving, BIOS shows "IDE Hard Disk" and my doubt is what i365 would have done to it. Maybe it's in a state to be easily recovered by them but impossible with the known methods... :realmad:

I understand that "IDE Hard Disk" is not the way your disks were returned from i365 then. :rolleyes:

Edited by XPG

When I enter the serial number, Seagate tells me that I can proceed with Step 4, so I understand that it's really affected.

good.

Perfect. It sounds normally.

I'm sure it's the problem associated with SD15 firmware. One day it was working properly, the following day it was not recognized by BIOS (it even caused another Seagate not to be recognized). It also made POST to last around a minute (much longer than usual) in two different computers (I think this is another symptom).

Also, the disc spun but I couldn't hear the heads afterwards (I'm not sure about this). Now I can hear the heads moving, BIOS shows "IDE Hard Disk" and my doubt is what i365 would have done to it. Maybe it's in a state to be easily recovered by them but impossible with the known methods... :realmad:

I understand that "IDE Hard Disk" is not the way your disks were returned from i365 then. :rolleyes:

that's right. but I had the BSY problem which made the hdd not recognizable at all. I'd try the solution. You really have nothing to lose unless you want to pay the 700 Euros.

Edited by mundy5

Any advice on the following would be much appreciated. I am about to apply this fix for the BSY error with a CA-42 cable, but would like some confirmation before I begin..

23442_426510898507_815868507_5260930_5203771_n.jpg

The CD drive audio cable I will use to connect the CA-42 cable to the hard disk

23442_426510893507_815868507_5260929_6061040_n.jpg

The connectors that will go into the hard disk

23442_426510908507_815868507_5260931_6125379_n.jpg

Simple as that?

I am just wondering if simply placing these jumpers directly into the hard disk ports as showed above will work? I will use electrical tape around the majority of the connector so that they don't make contact during the process, but is placing these connectors straight on the seagate fine?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am just wondering if simply placing these jumpers directly into the hard disk ports as showed above will work? I will use electrical tape around the majority of the connector so that they don't make contact during the process, but is placing these connectors straight on the seagate fine?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

yes, that is exactly how I did it. I didn't even have any electrical tape on them. but to be safe you should.