The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello,

I'm new here, this is a great thread but I have a problem, I have done exactly what has been said on here regarding unbricking my seagate drive, however when I come to switch off the power then switch back on, I cannot talkle to the drive via Hyperterminal, I can only talk if I unplug my drive a second time, then of course the commands don't work.

I'm using a computer with xp, a nokia CA-42 data cable so using the right stuff, don't know what is the matter.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ian

Hello,

I'm new here, this is a great thread but I have a problem, I have done exactly what has been said on here regarding unbricking my seagate drive, however when I come to switch off the power then switch back on, I cannot talkle to the drive via Hyperterminal, I can only talk if I unplug my drive a second time, then of course the commands don't work.

I'm using a computer with xp, a nokia CA-42 data cable so using the right stuff, don't know what is the matter.

Ian

You're the 2nd person in recent days to say the exact same thing. I have 2 questions.

1. How are you powering your sata hdd? Using your old computer?

2. Are you making sure that it is sharing the same ground?

When I did it, I was using a the desktop with a different hdd and the CA-42 cable. They were sharing the same ground.

but when i reboot my computer...bios is "locked" and cant find my Seagate...

The HyperTerminal-log in the pic looks fine to me... :unsure:

But... It can be that the SATA-interface is defective as well, like I had.

After my Seagate bricked itself (connected to my mobo's VIA controler) and I tried

to connect another (working) drive instead, on that same controler, it wasn't seen

and the BIOS hanged (until a timeout) while searching for attached devices.

At first I thought only my controler was defective, but I soon found out that both

my drive as the controler were dead :blink:

Luckilly my Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard also has an extra promise SATA controler,

so I was able to use that one instead... :thumbup

You're the 2nd person in recent days to say the exact same thing. I have 2 questions.

Like Mundy says...

If you ever plan to experiment/work with harddrives, you should at least get yourself

an USB-to-(S)ATA adapter; these cheap devices are really they're money's worth :yes:

USB2SATA.jpg

When you use such an interface:

• You don't have to reboot your computer everytime you want to test things out
  • The drive is powered externally, so you don't need to use the (short) power
    leads from your PC's power supply and you can apply power to the drive when you
    wish (you don't have to power down your PC).
    (You do have to make sure though, that the ground-signal of both drive as RS232-
    interface are connected if only the RS232 connection is used).
  • It's just a nifty little tool to quickly diagnose (S)ATA devices without opening
    (or possibly destructing) your computer

Greetz,

Peter.

Hello,

Ian

When I did it, I was using a the desktop with a different hdd and the CA-42 cable. They were sharing the same ground.

Hello,

Ian

Hi,

I am using a proper external power pack coupled upto the drive, a Nokia CA-42 cable to connect drive to the computer (a laptop) the three pins on the drive are all connected via the CA-42. I have also tried using a cmos/ttl serial port via a USB connection and that had the same trouble. I don't know what I'm dong wrong.

Regards

Ian

Edited by Hoggett

Hi there,

Just received this USB-TTL adapter: Adapter Link

Unfortunately, when I connect this adapter to my computer the computer makes no indication that anything has been connected (no popup in the taskbar and the device manager doesn't refresh or display any new devices). I have tried this on two different computers and I've plugged the adapter in with and without VCC connected to GND.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

I'm having problems with my Touchsmart PC I can't boot it up since it can't find the C drive. My PC has a Seagate 7200.11. Does this fix work in a HP Touchsmart PC?

If your PC has the faulty model and firmware, then yes, you will also have this problem. You can take the serial number of your seagate hdd and go to the seagate website and type in the serial number.

go here http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931&NewLang=en

and choose #2 "click here to use the serial number check utility"

it will tell you if it is one of the affected models. that is the sure way to know if it is this problem. btw, it doesn't matter the brand of your pc, if they used the faulty seagate hdd, then you will have this problem.

Great job, Simba, that might be usefull for other members with your

type of drive/firmware :thumbup

Although I would like to emphasize that playing with the command-line

options of the firmware-updater is at the user's own risk.

Flashing a drive with incorrect/incompatible firmware will kill it.

Greetz,

Peter.

This is true, but the drive came from an Iomega enclosure. The model numbers matched, but because it was an LC firmware (not SD), it wouldn't flash. So, I had to force it.

It's been a couple weeks and haven't bumped into any issues.

I am using a proper external power pack coupled upto the drive, a Nokia CA-42 cable to connect drive to the computer (a laptop) the three pins on the drive are all connected via the CA-42. I have also tried using a cmos/ttl serial port via a USB connection and that had the same trouble. I don't know what I'm dong wrong.

So don't we (to use Jaclaz' famous words: "I have my crystal ball at the shop for a retune") :whistle:

First make sure you've got a properly working TTL-RS232 connection before doing anything else.

• Install the interface's (USB) drivers.
  • Check that a loopback-test can be performed at (at least) 38400 baud
    (Remember that not all CA-42 adapters are created equal; see other posts in this thread)

Once you've got that working, come back here and describe exactly what you've tried and done.

Unfortunately, when I connect this adapter to my computer the computer makes no indication that anything has been connected

Like most (if not all) USB-devices, you first have to install the drivers before you plug it in.

(Though Windows *should* respond and detect an "Unknown Device" once you've attached it) :unsure:

Possibility 2:

You *could* have received a DOA (Dead On Arrival), if so return the interface for a replacement.

Greetz,

Peter.

So don't we (to use Jaclaz' famous words: "I have my crystal ball at the shop for a retune") :whistle:

First make sure you've got a properly working TTL-RS232 connection before doing anything else.

• Install the interface's (USB) drivers.
  • Check that a loopback-test can be performed at (at least) 38400 baud
    (Remember that not all CA-42 adapters are created equal; see other posts in this thread)

Once you've got that working, come back here and describe exactly what you've tried and done.

Unfortunately, when I connect this adapter to my computer the computer makes no indication that anything has been connected

Like most (if not all) USB-devices, you first have to install the drivers before you plug it in.

(Though Windows *should* respond and detect an "Unknown Device" once you've attached it) :unsure:

Possibility 2:

You *could* have received a DOA (Dead On Arrival), if so return the interface for a replacement.

Greetz,

Peter.

Hi,

I can communicate with the drive, so I think the connection is correct, I can enter commands into hyperterminal ok unitl it comes to switching off the power at the HDD, once I connect it again I cannot enter anything into hyperterminal,(i've tried ctrl-z) the only way I can do that is by disconnecting the HDD power source again, but when I do that I can enter commands again but the process has been interupted and won't work

The CA-42 cable is connected to a laptop via a USB connection, I have got a connection on all the three prongs that are used on the HDD (gnd, tx,rx) and I am using a external power supply like the picture in videoripper's post.

I don't know what else I can try.

Regards

Ian

At what step in the process did you remove the power (and most important: when)?

After each step, you should wait until you've receive (any) response from the drive.

This is where some people do things wrong: they issue the "Format Partition"-command:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

but don't wait until this (or an error-) message is returned:

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

It's highly unlikely (but not impossible) that you're only able to get a command-prompt

back after 2 power-cycles, instead of just 1.

In any case, this wouldn't make much different; you could even do a power-cycle 10 times

if you'ld like or continue un-bricking two days later...

...if it's done at the correct point in the un-bricking sequence :unsure:

So why it isn't responding as expected... I really don't know :no:

Greetz,

Peter.

Possibility 2:

Greetz,

Peter.

The first possibility seems unlikely to me, since all USB devices I have used to date are immediately detected at least as an "unknown device". Also, the drivers I have are not .exe, they require manual install. Is it possible the TTL side of the device must be connected to something (TX, RX, GND, & VCC) before the device is connected to the computer? Does this thing need external power? I would think not, given it should be powered via USB.

Edited by bigleg