The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Nice little module charlymex, never seen it before :thumbup

The only thing I can think of is wrong baud-rate, data-bits, parity and/or stop-bits :unsure:

Because you're using a rather unusual solution, you're practically on your own here.

Make sure you've got the settings right (and the driver installed correctly):

• Speed: 38400 Baud
  • Databits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop bits: 1
  • Flow control: None (but you can try "Hardware")

comsettings.png

If that doesn't work, do a loopback test first by connecting the module's RX- to TX-pin.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

OMG... i got ANSI chars when i connect the HDD, i know i'm doing something wrong, but ... what???

If you are getting ANSI characters it's working. ;)

If you are getting GARBAGE characters (let alone if ANSI or ASCII :whistle:) it is NOT :(.

Usually the problem is missing, or ineffective GROUNDing.

Do a loopback test first, just to make sure the converter is working, then check that grounding the HD to BOTH the converter AND the power supply is effective.

jaclaz

Many thanks to all the folks on this site. I was able to repair my Seagate 500GB 7200.11 using the suggestions found here. I had gotton a BIOHD-2 error message and the drive would not boot. It did not even show up in the BIOS. I took it to the Geek Squad and was told it was damaged so bad that no data could be retreived from it. After running the commands on the hyperterminal I simply hooked it back up in the computer and it fired right up.

I quickly backed up all important data and started using the WD HDD I purchased to replace the Seagate pile of junk.

So, bottom line. This forum works.

I took it to the Geek Squad and was told it was damaged so bad that no data could be retreived from it.

Not a wise decision :(, if I may, you were lucky they didn't actually manage to ruin the thingy for real :ph34r: , according to the "standard" with which they are reported to operate usually.

jaclaz

Seagate Drive : ST3500620AS , Firmware : HP24

Problem : BSY

Original machine : HP

Succesfull recovery :thumbup

I used the solution described by AlexLillic on page 35 :

With a few small differences (only hardware) : all from RS website(international)

USB TTL cable & Torx screw drivers ordered from RS components (delivery in 2 days)

For the cable connection onto the Seagate drive I used the pins from an empty IC socket ,and soldered it onto a cable. Also used heatshrink tubing (just get a few sizes from your local electronics store to get the good size,else you need to order a whole box) as an isolator around the end of the IC foots,so they won't touch one another.

Thanks AlexLillic,Gradius and others ...

I'm looking forward to more goodies ,and you made me get the taste for datarecovery.

I still wonder where you got the actual list of commands for the controller board ?

Anyone knows were to get those (for seagate and other boards too)?

This might enable us to do this same stuff for other brands and models too.

Kind regards,

K.

Edited by ktheking

You should have taken this cable: 687-7780

This one comes with a 8-pin header with 2mm spacing, so you would only have to cut it in half and

reseat the pins in the right order so you wouldn't need the IC-socket.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get it working again! :thumbup

I can't remember where I got this document from (I believe it was from some Russian source),

but it covers most (if not all) you'll ever need to know ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

Attached: A zipped MS Word document (in English)

Seagate_Diagnostic_Commands.zip

Edited by VideoRipper

Seagate Drive : ST3500620AS , Firmware : HP24

Problem : BSY

Original machine : HP

Succesfull recovery :thumbup

I have an HP24 drive too that I recovered. Does anyone know if there are firmware updates for the HP and Dell drives? I don't think updating those with the SD1A is a good idea huh?

I can't remember where I got this document from (I believe it was from some Russian source),

but it covers most (if not all) you'll ever need to know ;)

Excellent. This is the stuff I'm looking for ...

All that remains is to get broken harddisks to play with ...

And docs for Western Digital and other brands ...

Thanks Peter

I have an HP24 drive too that I recovered. Does anyone know if there are firmware updates for the HP and Dell drives? I don't think updating those with the SD1A is a good idea huh?

I only recover the data - and get another drive.

You gotta be maschochistic if you're continuing to use the s***ty seagate drives ...

You got a new WD drive 500Gb for 50€ !

I would first try to diagnose the drive using SeaTools for DOS on your HP machine.

If it comes up with any errors, try to create an RMA at the HP-website for a swap

(since HP is the OEM supplier).

I guess you *could* try to update the drive with SD1A firmware (an ST3500620AS

stays an ST3500620AS, no matter who sold it), but you're on your own here , if you

decide to go that path. :unsure:

Whatever you do: first backup the drive before you do anything else! :yes:

Greetz,

Peter.

I tried to find a firmware update for the 7200.11 drives sold by HP when posting my

last reply, but couldn't find any mention of it on the HP site.

Your drive is most probably still under warranty, so you might want to swap it under RMA

at HP, after testing the drive with SeaTools for DOS.

If the drive is out of warranty and you're a bold person, you might want to do a normal

SD1A update from Seagate, but that's entirely on your own risk.

Greetz,

Peter.

Hi everybody,

I have same problem with Maxtor DiamondMax22, 500 GB model : STM3500320AS , firmware: MX15 , SN : 9QM2758W ; BIOS dose not recognize disk!

is key of my problem rs232 to ttl , and terminal ? Will I lose my data on disk ?

Thanx anyway !

You should get yourself an RS-232 to TTL interface, like described in this topic

and follow the directions; your data is still there and can be retrieved if you

follow everything to the letter.

Just see the first post of this topic and read through the other posts for tips,

tricks and possible convertors you can use to unbrick your drive.

The first steps you'll have to take is to obtain an RS-232 <=> TTL-convertor and

a Torx (T6) screwdriver, but before you do anything: read this topic.

Good luck and if you have any particular question: don't hessitate to ask.

Greetz,

Peter.

Hey all,

I am running WindowsXP, and I'm attempting this using the Nokia CA-42 cable. The cable installed correctly and shows up in the device manager as a COM device. I have cut the end off the cable and crimped jumper wires to each of the three leads.

Unfortunately, Hyperterminal won't connect using the com port the cable is set to. At first I got a message saying the port was in use by another program, but I fixed that by uninstalling the software that came with the cable but leaving the driver on the computer. The error message I get reads "Unable to Open ComX. Please check your port settings." Where X is the port number as shown in the device manager. I've tried this with all other "COM" items disabled in BIOS and all of them on (serial and parallel ports). My cable is the only com port listed in device manager.

I have tried:

Changing the port number for the cable in the device manager.

Disabling all non-essential startup and service items using msconfig.

Connecting with the cable leads attached to the drive and unattached (although I think this wouldn't affect my error).

I used a program called "portmon" to log the communication between hyperterminal and my port. Here's the report:

0.16314122 hypertrm.exe IRP_MJ_CREATE Serial2 SUCCESS Options: Open

0.00000381 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_QUEUE_SIZE Serial2 SUCCESS InSize: 8192 OutSize: 8192

0.00000040 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_CONFIG_SIZE Serial2 SUCCESS Size: 0

0.00000034 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_BAUD_RATE Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000036 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_LINE_CONTROL Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000043 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_CHARS Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000044 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_HANDFLOW Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000030 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_BAUD_RATE Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000029 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_LINE_CONTROL Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000029 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_CHARS Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00000030 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_HANDFLOW Serial2 SUCCESS

0.05402632 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_BAUD_RATE Serial2 SUCCESS Rate: 38400

0.00285265 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_RTS Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00299006 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_DTR Serial2 SUCCESS

0.00399649 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_LINE_CONTROL Serial2 SUCCESS StopBits: 1 Parity: MARK WordLength: 8

0.00299053 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_CHAR Serial2 SUCCESS EOF:0 ERR:0 BRK:0 EVT:0 XON:11 XOFF:13

0.00698539 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_HANDFLOW Serial2 SUCCESS Shake:80000001 Replace:80000040 XonLimit:80 XoffLimit:200

0.00000032 hypertrm.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_TIMEOUTS Serial2 CANCELLED RI:10 RM:0 RC:0 WM:0 WC:5000

0.02991895 hypertrm.exe IRP_MJ_CLEANUP Serial2 SUCCESS

0.02508913 hypertrm.exe IRP_MJ_CLOSE Serial2 SUCCESS

Note the cancelled command three lines from the bottom. I have no idea what the information means. I've spent time searching this and other forums for information on my error, but have been unsuccessful. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!