The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Sebastian,

Rather than sending you a cable that works, let's work through your situation. Since you said that you have 5 CA-42 cables, we only need to get one of them to work. Look at the picture above of the CA-42 USB side. If you use something sharp to separate the plastic cover, you should see the wires soldered on the chip. Look for the ones that match the position of the 3 wires above. Those are the 3 wires you need. If you look carefully at the picture, you can see that the blue and white wires are near the top of the chip (the white is to the right of the blue) and the black is at the bottom. Look for the wires that correspond to those positions in your cable.

By the way, the above photos are from CA-42 cables made in china. I believe the ones made in Thailand are wrapped in some type of hard to remove plastic shrink wrap.

Take a picture of your chip once you open up the USB side and post it. We'll walk you through it.

Hi mundy

Thanks a lot for your tips

Here is my cable and a screen capture of what kind of things i see when i run Hyperterminal (i see them randomly, sometimes i connect and nothing happens. Sometimes i connect and it looks like the pic)

BTW, box is similar to the one above. My cable is from Chine but packaging is exactly the same

I hope this can be the beginning of my solution....hope the pics are good for you

post-283453-126897440917_thumb.jpg

post-283453-126897453349_thumb.jpg

last one

Maybe you can see how i dod the pin connectors...that shows you that im a cokmpletely nOObie on this... :)

Sebastian,

can you take a picture of the other side of the cable?

You mean the side with the cables, opposite to the side with the USB port? You need a close picture, right?

last one

Maybe you can see how i dod the pin connectors...that shows you that im a cokmpletely nOObie on this... :)

Sebastian,

You mean the side with the cables, opposite to the side with the USB port? You need a close picture, right?

no, I need a picture of the other side of the board that attached to the USB port.

last one

Sebastian,

no, I need a picture of the other side of the board that attached to the USB port.

I have already posted that pic i think....i posted 3 pics. One with the strange characters i see on the Hyperterminal..and the other 2 showing both sides of the cable in the USB port side....

Maybe you need better pics???

:(

Edited by Gavilan

Gavilan,

I'm sorry I missed the 3rd photo. However, the reason why I asked you to take pictures of both sides of the USB board is b/c I cannot see what color wires are at the various solder points. In your two photos, are you sure you are taking a picture of the same board on both sides? I ask b/c in both photos, the red wire is soldered to the photo side but there are soldered to different sides and different points on the board, which cannot be since there is only 1 red wire in both photos. I hope you understand why I am unable to help you right now.

Please post a photo of both sides of the USB board of the same cable, not of different ones. They are not wired the same so you need to show me photos of the same cable but of both sides of the USB board.

Edited by mundy5

Gavilan,

I'm sorry I missed the 3rd photo. However, the reason why I asked you to take pictures of both sides of the USB board is b/c I cannot see what color wires are at the various solder points. In your two photos, are you sure you are taking a picture of the same board on both sides? I ask b/c in both photos, the red wire is soldered to the photo side but there are soldered to different sides and different points on the board, which cannot be since there is only 1 red wire in both photos. I hope you understand why I am unable to help you right now.

Please post a photo of both sides of the USB board of the same cable, not of different ones. They are not wired the same so you need to show me photos of the same cable but of both sides of the USB board.

Yes, i completely understood what you said

But, believe it or not, pics are actually from the same cable.

And yes, this cable was wrapped in some type of hard to remove plastic shrink wrap as you pointed out. So it was really hard to go until the usb board itself.

Im at my girl´s house now. be back in my flat in about 3 hours.

I will take in-detail pics of both sides of the cable. Maybe that will help you (and me) to try to go one step further on this.

Thanks for keeping my faith alive

:)

Sebastian

Great job Gradius! :thumbup

And why did the guy above quote the entire fix?! Edit:LOL

BTW Maybe you should PM the moderator to ask if this topic could also be moved to the "sticky" section.

Edited by tonikassab

Dear Gradius,

You deserve my deepest regards and thanks for the help you posted here. It worked perfectly with no problem.

I joined this forum, only to thank you. I found this topic by google search engine. It is very simple and

perfect indeed. I would like, please, to exchange more information. I don´t know how to contact you in this

forum, I am new to this kind of mechanisms. It is always an honor to learn with

the "humble" professionals who believe in sharing knowledge.

Thank you very much,

My best regards,

Toni