The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

VideoRipper thank you very much, the problem was simply the "/" before the 2. Sometimes they are simple things you can not see. I just repaired 3 hard drives.

I'm happy;)

VideoRipper thank you very much, the problem was simply the "/" before the 2. Sometimes they are simple things you can not see. I just repaired 3 hard drives.

I'm happy;)

yes! great news!

now do as VideoRipper says

Hi again, and thanks for the help. I've figured out wich cables are wich. But when I type Ctrl + Z in hyperterminal all i get is a arrow pointing right. I've heard that it can be fixed if you swap rx/tx, but that doesn't help. Can it be caused by the wires touching during the fix, and if so, can you just insulate them or have i fried the disk? >_<

RX is the receiving line, TX is the transmitting line.

When connected correctly (RX to TX and TX to RX) you *should* get any response when

powering up the drive.

• If you would connect these lines the wrong way round (RX of COM to RX of drive and
    TX of COM to TX of drive), you won't see any response.
  • If you have chosen the wrong speed (Baud-rate), data-bits, parity and/or stop-bits
    to communicate with, the response will be either gibberish or none at all (depending
    on the chosen speed).
  • If you have chosen the wrong flow control, you might not get any response at all.

For a 7200.11 drive, the settings should be:

• Bits per second: 38400
  • Data bits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop bits: 1
  • Flow control: None
    OR (if your interface has loopback handshaking):
  • Flow control: Hardware

In case of communication problems, please follow this test:

• Connect your convertor to the PC
  • Leave the other end of the convertor un-connected
  • Start HyperTeminal (or another terminal program you want to use)
  • Open a connection (for instance with settings: 38400-8-N-1)
  • Type a few characters on the keyboard: the terminal display *should*
    remain empty.
  • Now connect the RX and TX of the convertor to each other (creating
    a loopback connection)
  • Again: type a few characters on the keyboard: this time, you *should*
    see the typed characters in the terminal display.

If above test is succesful, you know that:

• The convertor works correctly
  • You have successfully identified the RX and TX terminals of the convertor
    (though you don't know which is which for sure, yet)

Now, let's continue to the next step:

1. Remove the controler-board from the drive
  2. Connect the RX and TX leads of your convertor to the controler-board
  3. Open a connection in HyperTerminal (with settings: 38400-8-N-1)
  4. Apply power to the drive's controler-board (note: the drive itself is not
    attached at this moment!)
  5. In HyperTeminal, the display *should* show something similar to:
    Rst 0x20M

6. If you now press the CTRL+Z keys (at the same time), the controler-board*should* response with:
    F3 T>

...which is the actual prompt you're going to need

If you don't get any response (in step 5), try swapping the RX and TX lines and

try again (don't forget to remove/reapply power when doing this).

Once you have established connection to the controler-board and can communicate

with it, you're ready to (try to) un-brick it.

Good luck and greetz,

Peter.

Hi folks,

I'm brand new here and wanted to get straight in on this thread, my ST3500320AS 7200.11 500gb died (suddenly) a couple of days ago, it was part of a raid0 array, and I have months....years worth of stored data and I don't back up often enough (yes I am an id*** for putting so much trust in a raid0 array)

I figured i had the BSY problem as my drive was not showing up in BIOS and not booting up, I have religiously followed the teachings on this and some other forums from some very selfless and clever people and I have collected all the relevant materials for carrying out the fix on this, I ended up getting a dedicatet USB to ttl converter lead from RS components, it works perfectly in hyperterminal and hooked up to the drive, I began the process and got as far as the level 2 part where I enter 'U' and get the 1009 DETSEC spin up error.......now I am much more sensible than to just give up and ask for help when I fall at the first hurdle, I carried on researching the issue and found various peoples solutions for this problem, I really am here now with no other options begging for an assist, I tried EVERYTHING!!! I cant tighten the screws down any more because they will strip the threads if I do, I put the pcb in the oven several times, I have swapped the pcb with the other raid drive which is from a matched pair (thats how I bought them) and I did swap the rom chips.....no change, my only comment is that when i try the spin up command my drive spins up and makes a rythmic clicking sound before stopping and spinning down, sounds like "spin up-whizz-click-click-click-CLICK-whizz-click-click-click-CLICK-whizz-click-click-click-CLICK-spin down", is this bad? should I give up all hope including pro services? is there still likely to be an image on the platters?

the odd thing I had was that after a cople of attempts at this fix the drive started showing up in BIOS, so I thought maybe I had fixed the BSY error by accident and could try the 0lba fix, but no joy, when i go to enter the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command it just gives an error, it also still shows me that it is still in bsy

I lost my job the day after my comp died so dont want to spend ££££ on pro services, my drive was an OEM so seagate won't touch it.

many thanks in advance for any efforts to help me

Had no luck with my first try to get some help :}

Maybe this time...

Hi everybody,

I'm sinking into despair after having tried for two days to fix my Barracuda HD. I hope someone could give me some help :}

Ok, this is my HD: 1Gb, ST31000333AS, firmware LC15.

I've been able to set up the connection between the computer and the HD trough a DKU5 cable. I could complete almost all the steps suggested by Aviko, Gradius and some others, getting the expected messages (spin out, spin up...) in the hyperterminal. BUT the last one: when I write m0,2,2,,,,,22 and click enter I clearly hear the HD stops and nothing appears on the screen, no matter how long I wait.

I've tried everything I've found in this forum and nothing works (covering head, motor, both...). If I shut down the HD after N1, as stated in Gradius guide, it seems the HD returns to the busy state and when I power again the HD the hyperterminal doesn't respond.

I've read almost every page in this thread and I've found a few references to this problem of no response after m0,2,2..., but no solution.

Anyone has a clue?

Thanks

Hi,

I am having a little trouble with this fix. My HD is a Maxtor DiamondMax 22. I got all the cables made up successfully and went through to clear the BSY state initially. This seemed to work and all the outputs from Hyperterminal were as expected.

I put it back into the pc (a Dell Dimension 5100 if it matters) and it saw the drive in the bios but the capacity was 'unknown'. I figured I'd try the LBA fix, all outputs as expected, put it back in the PC and the drive was not detected by the bios again.

Ok, so went back and did the bsy fix again including the G-List step, now back in the pc and yay! Detected and found the size (500Gb). Powered down, connected all the drives in the machine, powered up and the drive was no longer detected.

Is it just the firmware problem thats stoppin it working fully or is there something I'm missing? I ended up leaving it last night as I was getting tired and didnt want to make a mistake but I'd really like to get this repaired.

Thanks for any insight.

I face a strange problem with solution (i have the busy state problem)<br /><br />When I try the loopback test (connecting RX-TX cables together) i can see what i type in the hyperterminal<br /><br />

When i connect the cable to the hard disk and try to communicate with the disk, all I get is strange characters.<br /><br />

I have tried with **38400,8,N,1,N** and also with **38400,8,N,1,Hardware** with no result

post-284493-4089_thumb.jpg

post-284493-4247_thumb.jpg

Edited by karetsos

Hi,

according to description my Seagate 7200.11 is in BSY brick.

I have Siemens IP40 RS232 cable for mobile phones (which is voltage level shifter - so I've been told) and i know which wires i need to use (white is RX, yellow is TX, and black is GND) but i heard that i need somehow to power the drivers which are in RS232 connector (Vcc - the red wire in cable). Full info received from a guy who knows Siemens serial cables is following:

"the Vcc is to power up the drivers which are located in the RS232 connector of the cable. Without the power for these drivers you will not get a connection. This cable is a voltage level shifter so you have to connect the

red Vcc cable to the logic-power-supply of the harddisk (normally 5V I suppose). On the RS232 connector for the PC side you will have voltage-levels of about +/-12V which is normal for RS232 connections! Therfore there is a level-shifter-driver included in the RS232 connector which need at least the power from the target device, in your case from the hard disk."

Now, since i am not engineer I would kindly ask people to simply (electronical schemes do not mean much to me as I do not know how to read them, so please be specific and simple as much as possible) tell me how to do this (powering the cable)? My idea about powering the HD was to simply connect the drive to SATA USB external housing - but what about the power to the cable?

Many thanks for assistance :-)

Hi,

according to description my Seagate 7200.11 is in BSY brick.

I have Siemens IP40 RS232 cable for mobile phones (which is voltage level shifter - so I've been told) and i know which wires i need to use (white is RX, yellow is TX, and black is GND) but i heard that i need somehow to power the drivers which are in RS232 connector (Vcc - the red wire in cable). Full info received from a guy who knows Siemens serial cables is following:

"the Vcc is to power up the drivers which are located in the RS232 connector of the cable. Without the power for these drivers you will not get a connection. This cable is a voltage level shifter so you have to connect the

red Vcc cable to the logic-power-supply of the harddisk (normally 5V I suppose). On the RS232 connector for the PC side you will have voltage-levels of about +/-12V which is normal for RS232 connections! Therfore there is a level-shifter-driver included in the RS232 connector which need at least the power from the target device, in your case from the hard disk."

Now, since i am not engineer I would kindly ask people to simply (electronical schemes do not mean much to me as I do not know how to read them, so please be specific and simple as much as possible) tell me how to do this (powering the cable)? My idea about powering the HD was to simply connect the drive to SATA USB external housing - but what about the power to the cable?

Many thanks for assistance :-)

You have a problem (and either an incompetent "guy who knows Siemens serial cables " or you misunderstood him).

There is NOT any "driver" inside the connector.

There is a "converter", and IC (integrated Circuit) that takes the RS232 signals (and yes, they peak at 12 V) and converts them to TTL level.

This IC must be powered and normally it is powered by the "attached to PC" side, but some cables for cellular phones do need to be powered from the "attached to phone size".

Problem is that there are IC's that need +5V cc/0 and some that need 3÷3.3 V cc/0, some that will "like" everything.

As well, there are two different TTL levels, a +5V and a +2.8/3.3V one, and even converters that will choose which TTL level depending on the power you give them.

If you are lucky your cable is one that will like "any" power voltage and anyway output the "right" TTL level (the 2.8/3.3 one).

Read this post, where the matter is a bit more explained:

jaclaz

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here, even tough i have been reading all the info in this thread for the last days

Im, like many others here, desperate.

I have absolute no knowledge of electronics or something like that.

I was using my PC. Turned off.

Next morning, Barracuda HDD wasnt recognized. I can hear the spinning but thats it. BIOS no longer recongized the disc. Thats why i guess i have the "brick" mode. I have run even the soft which i previously burnt in a CD, booted with that and the HDD was not shown there also... im very afraid i have "ruined" the drive...

I have (and i fully know its my fault)all, and i mean ALL my precious and all my important info in that HDD (i bought it not many months ago). Among other stuff, i have ALL the pictures taken with my camera since i own one, including my sister´s wedding and my best friend´s wedding, all my collegue papers, info, ebooks, documents including my final thesis and stuff like that. again, i know i should have done a backup before, but thats exactly why i bought this HDD.

I have tried for the past few days with no success to connect the HDD to the USB port.

I have tested and broken 5 different CA-42 cables, with different colours and amount of cables.

With the first cables i couldnt even install the USB driver (i received an exclamation mark and the USB-URLA device not installed properly and couldnt find the **** driver over the net, even tough i tried everything including Nokia´s driver)

After buying my second batch of cables, i managed to install them properly but...i received a "COM3 port is already in use by other device". I tested that with at least 4 different COM ports with no lucks

Finally, the last cable i bought (they are not original Nokia branded but other ones very common generic (and lot cheaper) in my country (Argentina) was installed succesfully (COM3). I entered Hyperterminal. The longest i could go was i got strange characters...then, absolute nothing. Nada.

I have no idea how to identify which cables are TX and RX. Have no way of measuring, nor electronical skills. I dont even know if i have done right the job of putting the cables in some old pins i have from an old Pc cable. So i cant even be sure if the cables are actually doing any contact with the HDD pins and thats why i got nothin gfrom Hypertermina.

I have followed exactly all guides with the last details here (included the one in spanish) with no results at all.

So, i have nowhere to go. I dont know anybody here in my city (Buenos Aires) who would help me. Thats why im asking desperately help here

If anybody has already used a cable with success, i would love to buy it (i can pay a very good money since i have invaluable data on that hard drive) and im close to giving up , resigne, cry a little (or a lot, for the loss) and throw the hdd to the garbage.

Please, please, somebody help me. I am willing to pay for an already made cable/adapter/whatever who has already done its job perfectly, so i can fix my disc.

Any help/tips/hints/advices/suggestions are more than welcome, even if they are a how-to-for-dummies-like-me with pictures about what im doing wrong/what else do i need/how to know which cable is which, etc etc etc. I have no tester/multimeter or such a tool and i remotely know how to use it.

You guys are my last resource. And believe me, im very very sad, and depressed. I have vaguely slept in the last few days. Im like a zombie, all day thinking about the **** disc and blaming it, and blaming me....and buying new cables CA-42 (or DKU-5) in order to achieve this...with absolutely no success...

Please, i beg for your help

Kind Regards

Sebastian

@Nc1224

see the post below by Tracy on p. 117. Notice the picture. Look carefully at the 3 wires colored black, white, and blue. Notice that the black wire is soldered on the back of the board, this is your GRN. Look for the same position on yours. it might be a different color wire.

Likewise, notice the white is at the top right (not on the edge of the board) and the blue is at the top of the edge. Those are the 2 positions you want to look for in your CA-42 board. Again, your wire colors might be different but these two wire positions are your TX and RX wires.

btw, no need for power since this cable gets its power from the USB port. But make sure it is a powered USB port, not part of some hub!

Another HD fixed! :) A big Thank You to everybody who has contributed to this thread.

I used this CA-42 cable of ebay,

74fce464715242.gif

It has this chip inside. ( PL-2303 )

71102564715247.gif

Black = Ground, White = Rx, Blue = Tx,

Sebastian,

Rather than sending you a cable that works, let's work through your situation. Since you said that you have 5 CA-42 cables, we only need to get one of them to work. Look at the picture above of the CA-42 USB side. If you use something sharp to separate the plastic cover, you should see the wires soldered on the chip. Look for the ones that match the position of the 3 wires above. Those are the 3 wires you need. If you look carefully at the picture, you can see that the blue and white wires are near the top of the chip (the white is to the right of the blue) and the black is at the bottom. Look for the wires that correspond to those positions in your cable.

By the way, the above photos are from CA-42 cables made in china. I believe the ones made in Thailand are wrapped in some type of hard to remove plastic shrink wrap.

Take a picture of your chip once you open up the USB side and post it. We'll walk you through it.

Edited by mundy5