The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Just wanted to let readers know that I had the symptoms of the BSY problem on a Barracuda 7200.11 ST375033AS running FW SD35 (I say again SD35), MFR location China (WUXISG) ,Date Code 08311.

I searched this and other threads several times for anyone who did a procedure on a 750 with the SD35 FW and wasn't able to find out if anyone was successful. I was successful but with some strange indications. When I ran the BSY fix, I got a

"User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs" reply.

I was afraid I had moved on to a 0GB problem then, but I connected the drive and all the data was visible and I could (and did) copy it off to another drive.

My total expense was $3.05 ($3 for the torx screwdriver and $0.05 net for the cable and driver from a provider in LA. I have the same unit as mentioned above with the Red Blue and Orange wires. (red=TX, Blue=RX, Orange=GND).

I'm a little non-plussed about what to do next. According to the Seagate Website, my unit wasn't affected and theoretically doesn't require a firmware upgrade. I'll have to look into that a bit more.

I live in San Diego. If you're local and need some help, let me know.

Many thanks to all who helped post this solution.

Luky man....I cannot get it..the first part was perfectly ok but I cannot make the partition...in spite than all the connection are all right and I get perfectly the prompt.....but when I do F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 I receive always the error, maybe if I change the circuit imprimed from a same DD...who knows !!! thank to listen me

I forgot to mention that I used an external power supply to drive my 7200.11. I bought an Acomdata harddrive enclosure. It supports both SATA and PATA drives. I probably should have mentioned it in my costs but I forgot. It was my initial apporach to what I thought was a bad USB interface card to drive problem. It didn't seem to make a difference. I would encourage anybody using a separate power source to make sure they are grounded together.

Let me also mention a follow up anomaly. I downloaded Sea tools to do a test of the drive. It "sees" the drive but it doesn't "see" the serial number or the firmware version. Also, I cannot run a short or long drive self test although I can run the short generic test and that passes. I don't want to risk the long generic test right now. Finally, I also had an instance where, when I had the drive in question plugged into the USB port, the computer wouldn't boot up. It would reach a certain point in the process and then do a hard fail (as though I had held the power button down for an extended time) and recycle back to start.

JRFreeman,

it sounds like your drive was not fully recovered. Either you can run it through again or return it to seagate for an exchange.

everyone who was able to go through the process successfully as outlined here was able to read and use the hdd normally. so something did not go right with your process or you have more issues with your hdd than the ones listed in this thread.

please let us know if it works the 2nd time.

Edited by mundy5

OK, so after wanting to jump through the phone and go postal on HP tech people, I am going to try the Seagate fix. I hope it will work for a BIOHD-2 error. I will let you know if it works.

Hi, I'm currently trying to fix my 500gb SD15 hdd with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

However, my cable has 5 wires instead of 3, and I don't know wich is the RX, TX and GND. It's a Ca-42 from china, and it's serial number is EK21005771, but I've never seen any mention of it, so it's appearently pretty uncommon. The cable colours are:

White

Black

Red

Yellow

Green

I've tried loking around, but nobody seems to have the same combination as I do. Also, I've heard that if you have 5 wires you need to connect some of them to a battery, but I was going to use my PSU and a cable directly to the HDD instead. If anyone could help me with this it would be immensly appreciated!

Nc1224,

It's not the colors of the wires so much as how it is connected to the USB end of it. If you use a flat head screwdriver you should be able to separate the plastic cover and you'll see usually only 3 of the wires connected to the board. From there you can then localize what the 3 wires can be, GRN, TX, RX. I believe that if you connect the TX and RX together you will get a null modem and your terminal should start to echo whatever you type. That leaves the 3rd wire as GRN. I saw pictures of them before but I can't find them now. Hope this helps. I'll try to find a pic probably in this thread.

Edited by mundy5

@Nc1224

see the post below by Tracy on p. 117. Notice the picture. Look carefully at the 3 wires colored black, white, and blue. Notice that the black wire is soldered on the back of the board, this is your GRN. Look for the same position on yours. it might be a different color wire.

Likewise, notice the white is at the top right (not on the edge of the board) and the blue is at the top of the edge. Those are the 2 positions you want to look for in your CA-42 board. Again, your wire colors might be different but these two wire positions are your TX and RX wires.

btw, no need for power since this cable gets its power from the USB port. But make sure it is a powered USB port, not part of some hub!

Another HD fixed! :) A big Thank You to everybody who has contributed to this thread.

I used this CA-42 cable of ebay,

74fce464715242.gif

It has this chip inside. ( PL-2303 )

71102564715247.gif

Black = Ground, White = Rx, Blue = Tx,

Edited by mundy5

Hi everybody,

I'm sinking into despair after having tried for two days to fix my Barracuda HD. I hope someone could give me some help :}

Ok, this is my HD: 1Gb, ST31000333AS, firmware LC15.

I've been able to set up the connection between the computer and the HD trough a DKU5 cable. I could complete almost all the steps suggested by Aviko, Gradius and some others, getting the expected messages (spin out, spin up...) in the hyperterminal. BUT the last one: when I write m0,2,2,,,,,22 and click enter I clearly hear the HD stops and nothing appears on the screen, no matter how long I wait.

I've tried everything I've found in this forum and nothing works (covering head, motor, both...). If I shut down the HD after N1, as stated in Gradius guide, it seems the HD returns to the busy state and when I power again the HD the hyperterminal doesn't respond.

I've read almost every page in this thread and I've found a few references to this problem of no response after m0,2,2..., but no solution.

Anyone has a clue?

Thanks

Hello everyone, first of all apologize for my English as it is translated. I have two hard disks affected by the problem of one is a seagate firmware and the other maxtor.

The models are:

Maxtor DiamonMax22 STM3500320AS FIRMWARE MX15

Seagate Barracuda ST500320AS FIRMWARE SD15

I've been reading this forum and I built a cable from data cable CA-42 USB as I reached for another COM port adapter bought on Ebay that also is this DIGITAL CONVERTER KIT CMOS / TTL TO RS232, 3V, Low Power .

What you can see here http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200360298309&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.es%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26fts%3D2%26_trksid%3Dp3686.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D200360298309%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I use hyperterminal xp professional and properly configured.

Remove the pcb disk and connect the Tx and Rx.

Then I feed the sata connector on the PC.

The question is that with both wires get the same result in hyperterminal

marking the beginning and is Ctrl + F3 T z>

then frame 2 and the result is this

F3 T> 2

LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0025BF67

Cyclically So I find no way of marking the Z because it lets me get to that point.

I have read every post I could but it's the 2 weeks I am with this and now I can only ask you.

Does anyone of you have or have turned this problem?.

Thanks for your help.

Saludos

Edited by a8nsli

Hello everyone, first of all apologize for my English as it is translated. I have two hard disks affected by the problem of one is a seagate firmware and the other maxtor.

The models are:

Maxtor DiamonMax22 STM3500320AS FIRMWARE MX15

Seagate Barracuda ST500320AS FIRMWARE SD15

I've been reading this forum and I built a cable from data cable CA-42 USB as I reached for another COM port adapter bought on Ebay that also is this DIGITAL CONVERTER KIT CMOS / TTL TO RS232, 3V, Low Power .

What you can see here http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200360298309&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.es%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26fts%3D2%26_trksid%3Dp3686.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D200360298309%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I use hyperterminal xp professional and properly configured.

Remove the pcb disk and connect the Tx and Rx.

Then I feed the sata connector on the PC.

The question is that with both wires get the same result in hyperterminal

marking the beginning and is Ctrl + F3 T z>

then frame 2 and the result is this

F3 T> 2

Cyclically So I find no way of marking the Z because it lets me get to that point.

I have read every post I could but it's the 2 weeks I am with this and now I can only ask you.

Does anyone of you have or have turned this problem?.

Thanks for your help.

Saludos

try to update the firmware

F3 T> 2

I got a message like this in my attempt when I failed to wait until the hdd has stopped spinning at the very beginning. For me, when I first plug in the hdd, it would power up and start spinning. After about 3-5 seconds, it would stop spinning. Then I would start the hyperterminal and go through the process. If I started it before it stopped spinning, I'd get this error message. So try that.

You will not be successful at updating the firmware in this state.

tried and nothing. continues the same. I turn the HD on, wait to the engine to start spinning, unscrew the screw and then lift up and put a separator. It stops, I try to connect with hyperterminal. Same failure.

I turn the HD on, wait to the engine to start spinning, unscrew the screw and then lift up and put a separator.

...and that's what you're doing wrong. :hello:

Since the firmware is stored on the platters, once you apply power to the drive the firmware

is loaded (and fails), resulting in a busy state.

The trick is to only access the controler, before it is even able to load the firmware and

this is done by temporary disabling the drive motor (by separating it from the PCB).

Now you will be able to access the controler (and it only *thinks* the drive is spun up),

so you have to let it *think* the motor is not spinning again, by invoking the spin-down

command.

After that you can re-seat the PCB (remove the separator) and spin the motor up again.

So the correct order is:

• Remove PCB (or put something between the drive's motor-contacts)
  • Apply the COM-connection
  • Apply power to drive
  • Spin down motor (it actually wasn't spinning in the first place)
  • Re-attach PCB (or remove motor-contacts spacer)
  • Spin up motor (now it will really spin up)
  • Perform commands to get drive out of the BSY state
  • Remove power and COM-connection to drive
  • Connect drive to SATA-port on PC
  • Power up PC
    • See if it recognises it as a drive
    • Check if the drive is not seen as a 0GB drive

If the drive is seen as a 0GB drive, you'll have to perform the additional LBA0-steps.

When the drive is working again: make a backup of your drive ASAP followed by a thourough

test using SeaTools for DOS.

Greetz,

Peter.

I turn the HD on, wait to the engine to start spinning, unscrew the screw and then lift up and put a separator.

...and that's what you're doing wrong. :hello:

Since the firmware is stored on the platters, once you apply power to the drive the firmware

is loaded (and fails), resulting in a busy state.

The trick is to only access the controler, before it is even able to load the firmware and

this is done by temporary disabling the drive motor (by separating it from the PCB).

+1 with Peter. You are doing it backwards and that is why you are getting the error messages. As Peter said, you need to put in the separator, screw in the 3 torx screws on the other side and then plug in the sata power. You need to follow the tutorial exactly in its proper order. You cannot mess with things and expect it to work properly. hope you get it working.

Edited by mundy5