The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Group: Members

Member No.: 227742

Hello from Holland,

Is it possible to replace or send me the pictures belonging to above post. They are missing on the forum! Not linked?

I have the same problem with the HDD altough it is from 09121. It says Firmware HP24.

smecom@gmail.com

Is there a way to erase the drive while I am connected to it through the terminal window?

Does anyone know if this can be done?

I just need to erase the drive before returning it for a warranty replacement.

I'd have to look at the codes again to see if there is a way. Do you have the same BSY problem? If so, why not go through the tutorial and then reformat the hard drive using the conventional way. Or do you have a different problem?

Check out post #64 from Gradius2 on p. 4. He has listed all the codes in terminal.

Edited by mundy5

Group: Members

Member No.: 227742

Hello from Holland,

Is it possible to replace or send me the pictures belonging to above post. They are missing on the forum! Not linked?

I have the same problem with the HDD altough it is from 09121. It says Firmware HP24.

smecom@gmail.com

There are no pictures from post 235! Are you sure you have the right post?

Is there a way to erase the drive while I am connected to it through the terminal window?

Does anyone know if this can be done?

I just need to erase the drive before returning it for a warranty replacement.

I'd have to look at the codes again to see if there is a way. Do you have the same BSY problem? If so, why not go through the tutorial and then reformat the hard drive using the conventional way. Or do you have a different problem?

Check out post #64 from Gradius2 on p. 4. He has listed all the codes in terminal.

Yes, the drive has the BSY problem. I did successfully un-brick once and access the all the data to back it up. Since then, after completing all the steps from the tutorial the drive will still be BSY when placed back in the computer. I am able to successfully complete the fix tutorial everytime though. I receive all the proper confirmation responses from the drive while in the termial window (I'm using Putty).

I'll check the post # you mentioned though to see if there's anything helpful there.

Very strange. You might have another problem too, that boots log entry count.

I flew over the diagnostic commands and astonishingly (is this word english?) I did not find a command for low level format.

I did not find a way to erase the data via command inteface.

Regards

Chilli

astonishingly (is this word english?) I did not find a command for low level format.

I did not find a way to erase the data via command inteface.

Yes it is English :thumbup , and NO it is not astonishing at all :ph34r:, low-level format has nothing to do with data erasing, and the latter can be performed (on a working drive) by the normal ATA/SATA interface, it seems to me pretty normal that there is not a duplicate command in the firmware. :unsure:

jaclaz

THANK YOU everyone who has been so helpful in this thread, I finally got my drive back! I used the USB-TTL cable from Adafruit. I had no luck with a CA-42 cable I found online; the loopback worked, but as soon as I plugged it into the harddrive it became useless...couldn't even open a com port. I thought I shorted out the cable somehow, so I ordered the exact same one from the same place. I was more careful with the connections the second time, but the same thing happened. Considering the TTL cable comes with pins already attached, and the wide range of manufacturers and specs of the cell phone cables, I would really recommend you find a USB-TTL cable. That goes double for anyone on the east coast (Im in Boston), I could only find Nokia cables shipping from California.

I am having a problem updating my firmware. This came from an HP computer, and has the faulty firmware HP24 still installed. Their utility won't allow me to update to HP26, because I have upgraded to Windows 7. Burning the .iso to a disk can solve this for most people....but you have to change a SATA controller option in the BIOS to IDE. It seems their quad core BIOS does not have this option. Another awesome job HP.

Has anyone else been able to get around this? Is there another way to change the firmware (USB drive or through the hyperterminal connection maybe)? Will the seagate firmware run on this harddrive?

That goes double for anyone on the east coast (Im in Boston), I could only find Nokia cables shipping from California.

Come on, anyone knows that Nokia cables coming from California are too ripe :w00t: to work properly (you know, too much sun, little water, etc.) however if squeezed provide an excellent cable wine.

:P

I am having a problem updating my firmware. This came from an HP computer, and has the faulty firmware HP24 still installed. Their utility won't allow me to update to HP26, because I have upgraded to Windows 7. Burning the .iso to a disk can solve this for most people....but you have to change a SATA controller option in the BIOS to IDE. It seems their quad core BIOS does not have this option. Another awesome job HP.

Has anyone else been able to get around this? Is there another way to change the firmware (USB drive or through the hyperterminal connection maybe)? Will the seagate firmware run on this harddrive?

I wouldn't risk flashing the "original" Seagate Firmware, it is possible that there are some settings that conflict.

I am not so sure about the changing in the BIOS to "legacy IDE".

It is very strange that such a setting is missing on a desktop (there are several laptops/notebooks I have seen missing this option, but never a desktop) are you really sure that such a setting isn't there - possibly renamed to something seemingly completed unrelated like "Data Bus translation" or "Foolproof setting" or "Install mode".

If such an option is actually missing it should mean that you are completely unable to install to that machine anything that has not Mass Storage drivers integrated. :ph34r:.

Maybe it is possible to have the .iso recognize the HD. :unsure:

Which exact .iso are you talking about (link please)?

jaclaz

@jaclaz

hp is notorious for crippling original bios menus. I know what I speak of since I also own an hp from back in 99. It still runs but the bios stinks like no other.

@chinbender

unless hp has come out with their own updated firmware, i would not use seagates. hp and other oems use their own version of the firmware and you very well might brick it if you try using seagates.

as i said earlier, hp is notorious for crippling stuff possibly to keep their csr and tech support from having to fix people's mistakes in configuring this stuff.

regardless, the bios you get from buying your own motherboards is far superior. never again will i buy an oem computer and deal with the limitations there.

Edited by mundy5

@jaclaz

hp is notorious for crippling original bios menus. I know what I speak of since I also own an hp from back in 99. It still runs but the bios stinks like no other.

Sure, I know :), but I would more happily "risk" udating a BIOS by installing temporarily the "original" motherboard manufacturer one (and then re-apply the OEM crippled one) then to apply a Seagate firmware to an OEM drive.

That is another possibility.

jaclaz

@Gradius2 (and everyone else that contributed): thanks for this great solution to the BSY/LBA0-problem! :thumbup

Two weeks ago, I had this aweful BUSY-problem, but didn't know it was a known flaw in the HDD's firmware.

So after consulting Seagate, I sent my drive to the i365-branch here in The Netherlands (Europe).

Not long after, I roamed around the internet using Google (with the description of my problem) and found

that other post ("Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles") and discovered I wasn't the only one and soon

saw this thread ("The Solution for...")...

...but I'd already sent in my drive and when the guy of i365 rang me, I explained I wanted my drive to

be "Unlocked" so my BIOS would see it again and, if possible, to update its firmware (not telling him I'd

read your very informative posts) ;)

So I built the RS232 <-> TTL interface from spare parts I had lying around and tested it on some other drives

I have in my collection, to be sure it worked properly (even PATA drives work nicely).

rsconvertor.jpg

Because I didn't have to rush things (my drive was already away...) I even made it super-deluxe by putting

it into a small enclosure and separate switches for the drive's power and to disable the MAX-232 inside. B)

A few days after I received an e-mail with a price estimate for retrieval of my data (I'm a programmer, so I

badly wanted my latest source-codes back) and it shocked me quite a bit :wacko:

So I returned the e-mail by stating that I didn't want my data recovered and asked him to return the drive.

Well... today the doorbell rang and a courier handed me a nice box with in it... my precious drive.

I immediatly went upstairs (to my study) and connected my proudly made interface to the drive on one end

and the other end to my test-computer... performed your instructions (I only needed to unlock it from the BSY-

state) and... it was working again!

It's now busy copying everything to a backup, but I'm sure it will work flawlessly again (though I'm considering

updating my firmware to SD1A... but I've heard that version didn't solve the BSY-problem...)

Gradius2... you really saved my day (or actually the last two weeks) and I'm forever in your debt :wub:

It saved me E900 excluding VAT and it puzzles me they actually try to charge you for something that can be

done by someone with a little bit of electronics knowledge for around E10 (if you don't already have the parts

lying around like I had).

I'm even under the slight impression that they just have a template e-mail with some difficult phrases and random

numbers to let n00bs believe the drive really is damaged...

Maybe I should start my own "Seagate 7200.11 Recovery Service"? :P

Thanks again and greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

I even made it super-deluxe by ....

Apart the fact that you have a "queer" idea of what "super-deluxe" means :w00t:, happy you are once again in the happy bunnies basket ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...28727&st=10

To have an idea, THESE:

http://www.datamancer.net/projects/optitran/optitran.htm

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/ergo1/ergo1.htm

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm

are actual "super-deluxe" :whistle:

:P

About i365, it seems to me like they plainly LIED :ph34r::

We have finished examining all physical and logical components of your storage media. Based on your situation we have determined that your media has sustained a logical damage to the storage media. The main cause of damage is bad blocks which are present on the media, as well as media surface damage which prevents the read write heads from locating the data stored on the platters.

For the recovery process we need to analyze and repair these bad blocks, read out all data on a sector level, and reconstruct the complete file system. Afterwards we will mount the data onto an offline server in order to check the integrity of your data(partitions, directories and the different file types).

Tech report:

Mirror complete with 532 errors.

I don't think they can have done a "mirror" or analyzed bad sectors WITHOUT "unbricking" the drive, which would consequently mean that they "re-bricked" it on purpose :w00t: before sending it back to you.

Unless they exchanged the drives, are you positive it is the "right" drive and it does contains your data? :unsure:

532 errors (presuming that 1 error=1 unreadable sector) means 532x512=272,384 bytes unreadable or missing from your whole set of data, which I guess can be recovered/rebuild through software/differential backups or also re-written form scratch for far less than 900€+VAT.

jaclaz

Hi folks.

I'm new to this forum and procedure, but not a noob. I am attempting to get the drive to unbrick; I have gotten the terminal to work properly, and I get commands to work, however, I cannot spindown the drive.

I always get the error message. To add insult to injury, at random times, the drive spins down on its own. I have always gotten one of the CC or CE error messages when attempting to spin the drive down and like I said, I have tried boatloads of timings.

Here's what I do: I start hyperterm on an XP box and connect the session at the same time I hit the powerswitch on the pSU (independent for hdd & adapter).

I wait 5 seconds for ctrl+z, and another 5 secs (T+:.10) for the /2.

I then wait 20 seconds (T+.30) and issue Z, however, sometimes the drive will have spun down already ,and sometimes it will not, and I always get a similar message.

I try w/ different timings, waiting longer than 20 seconds, same thing. I always get an issue. This drive will not detect in OS, so I believe to be bricked.

I have attempted looking thru pages, but with over 60 pages just on one item, it's a lot of information to go through. If anyone has had a similar case and had a successful outcome, can you tell me what you did? Or if I'm doing something wrong, can you point it out to me?

Thanks to any and all for your time and assistance. I can provide help on other subjects (other HW, networking, OS, etc), but this one is beyond my usual skill.