The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

So after you got it to work. and show up in BIOS it was detected as 0GB.. did you do the other fix??? or after you got it to show up as 0GB you just updated the firmware and it now works??...

Using aviko's method

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=832876 POST #528

After the HD showed up in the Bios and was shown as 0GB, I set up and repeated the steps for the Busy fix. The Busy fixed then worked and then updated the firmware.

As the$#!Za has said above though, just applying the LBA 0GB fix would have probably been enough. Basically the difference between the 2 fixes are the busy fix spins down, then up, the HD first.

Hello Tracy I am attempting the exact same fix on my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. The problem I am experiencing is when I power the drive and then after it spins down completely. Afterwards I plug the USB into the port and when my machine detects a new device it is not able to install drivers. I have installed the Handset_USB_Driver_32_v2.6.2.0 (Motorola Drivers) and then the PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_10311 drivers. Just so you know I have a dual OS desktop with Vista Ultimate 64x and XP Pro in that order.

Hi, I've never used Vista, but the PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_10311 you mentioned should work with both O/S. Under Computer Management => Device Manager in XP you should be able to see your device under ports (or modems as some ppl have reported here too). If there is a device with a yellow triangle and !exlamination in it you should be able to install the drivers from there.

Did your cable come with a driver CD?

If the drivers you have tried aren't compatible with your cable have a look at the chip inside the USB cable to see if you can get the right drivers for it. I can't tell you which post, but I remember there a quite a few links ppl have posted in this topic for different drivers.

Thanks a lot for your help. I fixed a ST3500320AS Firmware SD15.

But now I have a problem with 7200.11 ST3320613AS Firmware CC2F. I followed all the steps but it's not working. I think that this method is not applicable with firmware CC2F.

Please, anyone could help me to fix this HD with firmware CC2F ?

Thanks in advance.

Does nobody know whats up with that Spin Error.

Always after typing U I get this error message:

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 26.617 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

It's strange cause the moter is winding up.

And yes, I've tried cleaning the contacts and tighten the screws.

I'm using a third party Nokia CA-42 cable on a XP laptop and the HDD receives the power from my Win7 PC.

It's strange cause the moter is winding up.

And yes, I've tried cleaning the contacts and tighten the screws.

I'm using a third party Nokia CA-42 cable on a XP laptop and the HDD receives the power from my Win7 PC.

It is possible that a sensor for the motor being up and running is malfunctioning, but the only thing you can do is to check and re-check the connections, AFAIK. :(

The contacts may have been "flatted down" when inserting the card or strip of plastic.

See report by beinthemiddle here:

http://forum.hddguru.com/tutorial-resolve-...t11040-160.html

jaclaz

I have the Nokia CA-42 USB Cable. I don't have a CD that came with it and I got it from eBay. I did some digging and found this http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t125471.html. I dled both and I installed the seperate folder but I can't install the combined folder. Also when I installed the setup for the seperate folder I got an error message stating that Nokia Modem (11/05/2007 6.85.0.1) Install failed (unsigned). Also I have uninstalled all previous Nokia drivers in the XP system. Afterwards I attached the cable without HDD to test I am still getting a failure to install drivers. What could I do?

Edited by Han Solo

In other words it has an "advanced" feature that turned out as a problem in your case.

jaclaz

Thanks for the explanation. Yea looks like that 5V advanced feature backfired on me :(

Thanks a lot for your help. I fixed a ST3500320AS Firmware SD15.

But now I have a problem with 7200.11 ST3320613AS Firmware CC2F. I followed all the steps but it's not working. I think that this method is not applicable with firmware CC2F.

Please, anyone could help me to fix this HD with firmware CC2F ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi mecwodt. The firmware version has nothing to do with the fix as long as you're sure your hard drive has either the BSY state error or the LBA 0GB error. The only things in some guides that are Firmware specific are commands typed in the Terminal program such as Hyper Terminal, but most guides don't show typed commands that are for specific Firmwares only. You have to be more detailed. What do you exactly mean by "you followed the steps but it's not working" ?? Which steps or whose guide are you following and exactly which part isn't working ?? How do you know it's the same problem, is it undetectable in BIOS ??

I have the Nokia CA-42 USB Cable. I don't have a CD that came with it and I got it from eBay. I did some digging and found this http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t125471.html. I dled both and I installed the seperate folder but I can't install the combined folder. Also when I installed the setup for the seperate folder I got an error message stating that Nokia Modem (11/05/2007 6.85.0.1) Install failed (unsigned). Also I have uninstalled all previous Nokia drivers in the XP system. Afterwards I attached the cable without HDD to test I am still getting a failure to install drivers. What could I do?

Which guide are you using to fix your hard drive ?? Have you clicked on the "more info" part on the right hand side of this video ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM . She lists 2 sets of drivers for the cable, not sure if they're the ones you have tried but one she used for her cable is a Motorola modem driver like you said, and the other I'm not sure but she says many people have got it working using the other drivers. Also this link ;

is of a guy who had problems but managed to get it working, but again, maybe you've already watched it. Read the comments, maybe you'll come across something.

Man, the Nokia CA-42 cable way to fix the hard drive seems more harder/trickier than the normal RS232-TTL adapter way even though it sounds easier in theory. Only if everyone fixed it as smooth as that girls video with the Nokia CA-42 cable which is so clean as it's only 3 wires and and a nicely labelled USB head.

Edited by the$#!Za.

Man, the Nokia CA-42 cable way to fix the hard drive seems more harder/trickier than the normal RS232-TTL adapter way even though it sounds easier in theory. Only if everyone fixed it as smooth as that girls video with the Nokia CA-42 cable which is so clean as it's only 3 wires and and a nicely labelled USB head.

Yes, the problem is that there many versions of the "real/original" Nokia cables and countless versions of "fake/compatible" ones.

If you buy a "real" TTL converter (and read the specs ;)) you have something that is meant to do this work, if you get a CA-42 it may be good or it may not, and you have no way to know in advance. :(

My two cents (already spent several times):

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-1691.html

jaclaz

If you buy a "real" TTL converter (and read the specs ) you have something that is meant to do this work, if you get a CA-42 it may be good or it may not, and you have no way to know in advance.

Very well said jaclaz.

Well I've got 3 other Sata hard drives not including the one I just fixed, and 2 of them are 7200.11's/ticking time bombs, and 1 of those 2 is 1 of my RAID-0 drives, confused yet ? Anyways I will update the Firmware of the hard drive I just fixed, but I'm too scared to update my other 2 7200.11 drive Firmwares as people have bricked their hard drives by actually updating Firmware.

Edited by the$#!Za.

Hello Tracy I am attempting the exact same fix on my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. The problem I am experiencing is when I power the drive and then after it spins down completely. Afterwards I plug the USB into the port and when my machine detects a new device it is not able to install drivers. I have installed the Handset_USB_Driver_32_v2.6.2.0 (Motorola Drivers) and then the PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_10311 drivers. Just so you know I have a dual OS desktop with Vista Ultimate 64x and XP Pro in that order.

Check if this works:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-2093.html

(if the cable is that one, of course)

From other experiences with Nokia software, it's a toughie and it is very difficult to really uninstall it, it may be faster if you could try the linked to driver on a PC to which Nokia software was never installed.

jaclaz

Finally I got my HDD unbricked.....thx Gradius2 and all the other helpers :)

So, how I resolved the Spin Error?

Well it may sound ridiculous; I just put my PCB Board in the oven at 105°C for 30 minutes and voila, works like a charm :)

Edited by jackcaver

Hello,

First of all, thank you Gradius, (and of course other contributors for hints and comments), for this useful guide.

I have a problem with my 1TB Maxtor DiamondMax 22s here. I have four of them in a RAID-5 array on a Promise TX4650 controller. One day when I started the system, and after a long wait in "Scanning drives..." screen, the controller freezes the system with this message: "Warning - there is something wrong with your hardware."

After searching in internet I found out that this is because of BSY error in firmware MX15. After disconnecting drives one by one, I found out that two of them are having BSY problem, and of course because it was a RAID-5 array, it means a failed array...

After I found a USB to TTL adapter and followed the guide to repair the drive, I have successfully recovered both of my drives, but then this weird problem occurs...

When I connected back them to TX4650 controller, I still get the error message that tells me that the array is offline. When I entered the boot time array configuration utility, I see that two fixed drives are displayed as "free" instead of being part of array. I don't understand this, is the repair process changed anything in drives that make them undetectable by controller? I don't know, maybe changing some data in a reserved area that controller used to store meta data, etc.

Anyway to solve this problem? It is very important to me..., any help is appreciated.

When I connected back them to TX4650 controller, I still get the error message that tells me that the array is offline. When I entered the boot time array configuration utility, I see that two fixed drives are displayed as "free" instead of being part of array. I don't understand this, is the repair process changed anything in drives that make them undetectable by controller? I don't know, maybe changing some data in a reserved area that controller used to store meta data, etc.

Anyway to solve this problem? It is very important to me..., any help is appreciated.

This is gonna be tricky business.

It is possible that something has changed in the drive (something at a low enough level to be not a problem on a non-raid setup, but high-level enough to be detected by the controller).

It greatly depends on the controller and the utilities that come with it, but AFTER having made a forensic sound (dd-like byte by byte copy of each and every disk) you could try forcing :ph34r: the failed drives online, there should be a way to do so.

It is also possiblre to re-assemble the data, example:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/recovery_raid

a Commercial app:

http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

that has a demo capable of telling you if the "full" version will be able to recover the data.

DO NOT EVEN THINK of doing any work on those drives before having imaged them.

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz,

I tried Runtime RAID Reconstructor, it seems to be able to detect array configuration, and I'm now scanning it with GetDataBack using metadata generated by RAID Reconstructor, it needs 21 more hours to analyze the partition... So, I'm waiting...

Thank you again.