The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi, I am new to your forum this place is great. I just wanted to ask a silly question cuz I am a noob, can I use SMPS for the power to HDD in place of some kind of external power supply or battery ? Please somebody answer. I am going in to troubleshoot the BSY error. Thanks for your time.

Can somebody please answer. I am badly stuck. :(

Hi, I am new to your forum this place is great. I just wanted to ask a silly question cuz I am a noob, can I use SMPS for the power to HDD in place of some kind of external power supply or battery ? Please somebody answer. I am going in to troubleshoot the BSY error. Thanks for your time.

Can somebody please answer. I am badly stuck. :(

If you would be so kind to tell us what a SMPS is (should we know? :unsure:) it could help.

jaclaz

Hi, I have been read a lot several days for fix this problem in my hard drive (ST3500320AS SD15). My problem is that cable is not recognized by the pc. I tried install with Ark or motorola drivers. Im using "Nokia" CA-42 (I didnt connect before, I should have done, but I didnt) cable connecting Rx to TX, and TX to RX. I have 2 GND and I dont connect it.Sata power supply connect too. If I cant comunicate with the PCB i will not fix this never, so I need your help. I dont know what can I do. Thanks

Edit: Loopback test fail.

Edited by nonius9

Please note how we are talking NOT about a RS-232 interface but about a TTL one.

LOL. Obviously I meant the TTL end of the RS232 level shifter. Duh!

If you would be so kind to tell us what a SMPS is (should we know? unsure.gif) it could help.

SMPS = Switched Mode Power Supply.

I will say it again: Using an external power supply to power up the HDD won't [easily] work. Use one of the spare Sata Power Connectors from the PC that is using HyperTerminal to communicate to the HDD.

Keep It Simple!

I have 2 GND and I dont connect it.Sata power supply connect too

Can you re-phrase that as it does not make much sense.

Andy

Hi guys. I'm always receiving this error:

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 26.617 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

Here are the steps I did so far:

Put a piece of paper between the PCB connector and the HD. (I tried both, the paper trick and completely removed the PCB board)

Connected TX, RX and GND where it should be.

Plugged in the SATA Power cable and waited till the motor winded down completely.

Connected the USB to PC and started Hyper Terminal with the settings on the 1st page.

I did every single step described on the 1st page by Gradius2.

Ctrl+Z --> F3 T>

F3 T>/2 --> F3 2>

F3 2>Z --> Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

F3 2>

Removed the paper card from the PCB connector; tighten the screws

F3 2>U

Then, as mentioned above, I get this error

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 26.617 secs

I hear the motor winding up, one click and after few seconds the error message appears.

I tried cleaning the contacts, tighten the screws but nothing.

I know that this error was mentioned several times before, but I couldn't find a decent answer.

Need Help!!! :(

I have my drive fixed. I was able to run full backup from it. Thanks everyone posting here for help.

I used CA-42 cable from eBay.

I actually called Seagate prior to fix and they said:

1. We are nor honoring warranty on OEM installed drive (Gateway).

2. The drive is nor fixable so don't bother using cable and trying tricks.

3. We are not aware of blogs posting fixes.

4. I cant go to the link provided because my internet connection is blocked.

(what a bunch of A$$holes).

Few of my short suggestions:

-CA-42 with arkmicro chipset - no Vista drivers - use XP computer. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=13JA6IXI

-there are four pins on drive - connect right ones - no communication - double check

-wait for message "User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time X mins XX secs" with my full drive it took about 90 sec.

:)

Good luck.

I have 2 GND and I dont connect it.Sata power supply connect too

Can you re-phrase that as it does not make much sense.

Andy

Sorry,

I have two cables marked as GND, but I didnt connect them. Power supply was connect correctly (to PCB).

Edited by nonius9

OK, for drivers for your RS232 device, see wacio's post above your's - he has kindly provided a link to suitable drivers for the Nokia CA-42 cable.

I wonder if wacio can help with GND connections. I have no experience of using this Nokia cable so now I'm only guessing: but the GND connections must go somewhere, at the very least to the GND connection on the HDD.

The loopback test (where Rx & Tx wires are connected) will work REGARDLESS of whether there is a good GND connection to any subsequent hardware (such as your HDD in this case), so in some respects is quite a poor OVERALL test of connectivity to the HDD. In other words the loopback test tests ONLY the funtionality of the connection from HyperTerminal to the TTL output levels of the RS232 level shifting hardware and back again.

Cheers,

Andy

PS reason for so much confusion is that there are many different ways being suggested (all of which do work) of connecting an RS232 level shifter to the HDD and power supply configurations - what I see therefore is some tips for one suggested kind of connection being incorrectly applied or assumed for another type of connection. The biggest confusion is that of power supplies and GND referencing of all the hardware.

To me there are 3 kinds of connection being recommended:

1) Using COM port 1 and a mobile phone 'cable' (such as the Nokia CA-42) - these cables use a built in RS232 level shifter.

2) Using COM port 1 and a homebrew RS232 level shifter based on a chip (IC) such as the MAX232 or MAX3232.

3) Using an RS232 to USB converter 'cable' from eBay.

Notes:

o) Regardless of the cable being used, Power the HDD using a spare 15-pin SATA power cable from the PC that you intend to run HyperTerminal on.

o) There is no actual power supply avaiable from the 9-pin DIN sockets found on PC serial COM ports *. Therefore any RS232 level shifting hardware (options 1 & 2 above) must be powered somehow and this power referenced to GND - hence the suggestion of using 3V button cells to do this.

o) Unlike the serial COM ports, USB ports DO provide power, hence no need to provide an extra power source for these types of cables.

o) For all 3 types of connection, the loopback test will ONLY test the RS232 level shifting hardware and HyperTerminal communication (turn echo off to test). It does not test that same connection to the HDD, i.e. correct GND connection, Rx and Tx connectivity.

Based on this, I'd say the easiest cables to use would be those that are plugged into the USB port - these cables do however need software drivers to be installed such that the USB connection appears as a COM port for use in HyperTerminal.

* Some of you may argue that there is a power source available from the COM port - this is not entirely true but these COM ports can be 'tricked' into providing one - hence the source of more confusion. A weak supply can be taken from the RTS & DTS pins of the COM port SO LONG AS THE SOFTWARE THAT DRIVES THE PORT IS CONFIGURED TO DO SO.

To me there are 3 kinds of connection being recommended:

1) Using COM port 1 and a mobile phone 'cable' (such as the Nokia CA-42) - these cables use a built in RS232 level shifter.

2) Using COM port 1 and a homebrew RS232 level shifter based on a chip (IC) such as the MAX232 or MAX3232.

3) Using an RS232 to USB converter 'cable' from eBay.

To be picky ;):

#1), the CA-42 and similar cables are not "COM1" and not "RS-232" they are simply USB to TTL that simulate a "RS-232" by creating a "virtual" only COMn port.

#2) can be bought allright, instead of "home made".

As well,

#3) an RS-232 to USB converter cable (from ebay or other source) is NOT useful alone.

The HD needs a TTL interface.

If you have a "real" RS232, i.e. a real COM port, you can use a RS-232/TTL converter.

If you have only USB you can use a USB/RS-232 converter AND a RS-S32/TTL converter.

If you have only USB, you can use a USB/TTL converter (like the Nokia CA-42).

jaclaz

Hi,

I had a Seagate ST31000333AS model 7200.11 1TB HDD and it's stop working :). This is an external HDD with USB case. I was using for backup and couple days ago I tried to get some files from my HDD and I couldn't reach the drive. HDD motor start to spin up but after couple seconds heads are parking and spin down and start over again (forever). I thought optimist AC adapter is broken and not enough power for USB box, I plug it to Desktop but result was the same. I fixed many HDD before some of my friends (notebook, desktop, Raid 5 etc) but this time it was my data's

I searched many forums on internet and I read about there is a fuse part on pcb. I replace that fuse but nothings changed. And I decided to use serial cable solution. Here you can find steps and some clues about my progress.

I bought a CA-42 cable. There are 2 type of it. One is original and the other is 3rd party. But both are working well. The original has 5-6 thin cable but mine has only 3.

Cut the phone side and use pin sockets

dsc07431o.jpgdsc07439.jpg

Mark GND (I checked with OHM meter) on my CA-42 there are 2 cables left. One is Rx and the other one is Tx. On original one when you open blue USB box you can see RX-TX-GND written on pcb.

Some people are using paper block on motor side and some of them using on data side. I used thick business card on data side. Loosen screws on PCB and put paper between pcb and data pins

dsc07438.jpg

After this point when I apply power on HDD, heads are did not parked. I realize that problem is on PCB. If you working on Vista there is no Hyperterminal anymore. You can search on internet "hypertrm.zip" and open on a folder and use hypertrm.exe. Here are the steps:

1. Plug CA-42 cable to USB without any connection. And install drivers about this cable. Under device manager you will see new device. Pls note that Com Port number. Mine is Com Port 11

2. Unplug USB side and plug small sockets on HDD serial port. I found GND already. If your system cannot talk with HDD switch Tx with Rx

dsc07436k.jpgdsc07442.jpg

3. Apply power to HDD, motor will start to spin up and plug USB to your computer

4. Setup Hyperterminal. My port is on Com 11 :

Bits per second : 38400

Data bits : 8

Parity : N

Stop bits : 1

Row control : N

5. After this point when you press Ctrl + Z keys you have to see below screen on hyperterminal if you cannot see switch Rx and Tx

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>

now here are the commands : (P.S. be careful to uppercase and lowercase while you write commands)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

If it's ok you have to see.

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.140 msecs

If you see after Z command

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025DDD9 or similar message listen to your HDD. When motor is down (not spin) press Ctrl + Z next /2 and next Z . Now you have to see Spin Down Complete on screen.

Now do not move HDD and remove the paper between PCB and Data pins. (Meanwhile all the cables are must be attached on HDD "USB and power cables"). Be sure to tight screws especially on data pin side.

If you're ready press U key and spin up motor

F3 2>U

After a while you have to see below message

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 8.363 secs

After pressing U if you will see below message there was a problem on communication between PCB and HDD. Means PCB is not touching pins correctly. You have to start over everything from 1st step.

DiagError 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 39.083 secs

After Spin Up process motor will keep up spinning

New command is : /1

F3 2>/1

Next : N1

F3 1>N1

and : /T

F3 1>/T

Now while USB is attached to the HDD remove power cable from HDD. Wait 10-15 second and plug the power cable back. HDD will start to spin up

If you cannot type any command on screen pls press Ctrl + Z. And type this command i4,1,22 (be careful to uppercase/lowercase)

F3 T>i4,1,22

Now is the heart of commands : m0,2,2,,,,,22 (yes there are 5 commas)

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

After this command progress will take some time. Don't worry. Get a cup of coffee and relax. You have to see similar to below message. Important one is "User Partition Format Successful " now we can reach our HDD again.

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

Remove everythings from HDD and connect to the computer in normal way. Turn on computer you are able to see your HDD again.

Of course copy all important data's on another media in any case.

This connector I made for better usage

dsc07460.jpg

If you sure about cables triple socket

dsc07467.jpg

If not seperated sockets

dsc07470d.jpg

Good Luck

CyberGuy

Hello guys!

I am VERY sad!!

My hard disk stopped working today (it worked for more than 2-3 years I think), 8 hours ago I turned my PC off, this morning I turned it on, and BIOS didn't detect my SATA hard drive..

After long googling I finally found this thread here.

I have much fear about my data so I want to double ask, sorry for that.

I have a SATA 500GB 7200.11, Firmware SD15 (bought it before 2009)

Modell number is ST3500320AS

S/N 9QM6CVNK

My problem is BIOS doesn't find it anymore!! I tried putting it on another SATA port (2,3), but didn't change anything.

So this solution which is on page 1, does it still work or is there a newer better one?

This thread has about 120 pages so should I do what is written on page 1 or is there anywhere in this thread a newer solution?

How do I know if a have the 0 LBA or BSY error?

I think I have the BSY error because BIOS doens't detect anything right?

I have found the update

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207951

but I guess it wont work without the drive being detected?

I live in germany, could Seagate maybe help me here? Or do they not recover any data?

I'm not a big technican..

Thank you so much for all this! I will be so happy if my drive should work again!

Edited by cybercover