The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Try typing "pippo" (without double quotes).

What happens?

Check your ECHO settings (you do NOT want ECHO ON).

jaclaz

When i write PIPPO (and ENTER), the cursor comes back on first P .. it's normal or not? ("Ctrl+Z" that prodecus an arrow, is it normal without HD attached?)

(ECHO is OFF)

Thanks again

Edited by PuppinoCbr

When i write PIPPO (and ENTER), the cursor comes back on first P .. it's normal or not? ("Ctrl+Z" that prodecus an arrow, is it normal without HD attached?)

(ECHO is OFF)

Try with echo ON, now.

And yes an arrow is "normal".

jaclaz

Another Successfull Fix!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

I'm backing up my most important files right now!

Model: ST31000333AS

FW: SD35

The fix worked at first try with no errors, I have all my data OK, two NTFS partitions. Did not use the G-list and 0LBA, only the BSY fix.

Used CA-42 cable (not Nokia original but a "clonic").

Perhaps we should follow two simple rules (I will do):

1. Don't go and buy the newest technology in the store, i.e., the latest HDD model with the highest capacity

2. Backup your files!

The final hyperterminal lines (after CONTROL+Z):

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

F3 T>

:thumbup

and i'm successfull too!!!

thnx for this fix, it was a bit fiddley.

i also used a nokia ca-42 cable to unbrick a friend's 500gb hp/seagate drive, and did a fw update as soon as i was done.

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Edited by RastaHuis

So, now, I have just applied the solution and got my data back, the question is...

Should I update firmware? What version?

In Seagate website, the available version is SD1B, but does this firmware version fix effectively the problem or will my HD die again?

My Hdd is ST31000333AS, fw SD35

:wacko:

Hi,

My HD is not recognized by BIOS. It spins up and down constantly.

Just managed to connect to the TTL interface and use Hyperterminal to read the messages from my HD and this is what it shows:

Thanks in advance

What model is the HDD?

Hi, I am new to your forum this place is great. I just wanted to ask a silly question cuz I am a noob, can I use SMPS for the power to HDD in place of some kind of external power supply or battery ? Please somebody answer. I am going in to troubleshoot the BSY error. Thanks for your time.

Got a ST3500320AS HDD that seems to have BSY error. I've made a RS232 cable and it tests okay, also tests on another couple of drives but when I connect it to the 3500320AS I just get a character on the terminal and nothing else Control-Z doesnt work. Only thing I have not tried is using a proper SATA power cable not a 4-pin molex one on this drive. Anyone who done a 3500320AS can you confirm if you need a proper SATA power?

Hi,

My HD is not recognized by BIOS. It spins up and down constantly.

Just managed to connect to the TTL interface and use Hyperterminal to read the messages from my HD and this is what it shows:

Thanks in advance

What model is the HDD?

Please read my older posts if you want to know about my case. My HDD is ST31000333AS, FW SD35. I already fixed it.

Re: Powering the HDD questions.

For this to work, the HDD should be powered up and the best way to do this is using the standard PC's SATA power supply cable. Using an external single supply rail power supply didn't work for me.

But why go to the lengths of using a different power supply anyway? There is one for free sat inside the PC all ready to be used!

So, with PC on, connect power to the RS232 electronics and then connect RS232 interface to COM1 (or USB port), connect RS232 to HDD - INCLUDING the gnd connection, i.e. 3 wires. Connect PC SATA power to bricked HDD - it should spin up. Set up HyperTerminal, turn Caps Lock ON and press and hold CTRL key down then hit the Z key. Now turn Caps Lock OFF before entering any commands. If all is working you may (or may not) get a message back from the HDD (I get the message RequestResumeSaveSmartFrame appear in the HyperTerminal window), but you should at least see the command prompt characters appear, i.e. see F3 T>. Now enter your command and WAIT!!

GL,

Andy

Edited by underwurlde

So, with PC on, connect power to the RS232 electronics and then connect RS232 interface to COM1 (or USB port), connect RS232 to HDD - INCLUDING the gnd connection, i.e. 3 wires.

:w00t:

Please note how we are talking NOT about a RS-232 interface but about a TTL one.

I.E. one of these:

• COMn->RS-232toTTL->Hard disk
  • USB->USBtoRS-232->RS-232toTTL->Hard disk
  • USB->USBtoTTL->Hard disk

Connecting a RS-232 to the the hard disk may fry it for good. :ph34r:

jaclaz