The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Guest kerjaluar

Finally I manage to fix the Seagate BSY Error, a BIG THANK YOU for the guides...

The HDD is Seagate ST3500620AS 500GB OEM from HP IQ508D TouchSmart PC and the Cable is Nokia "Clone" DKU-5

along the way I found few error message like:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024900D

and

LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31

I have put up a page for reference at: http://howto.starahead.com/?p=61

Thank you again for the great guides and resources !

:thumbup

best regards from SHAH ALAM, MALAYSIA

Thanks to all involved with this fix!

I was able to unbrick my ST3500320AS from the BSY issue, but when the power was cycled on it after pulling off about 1/4 of the data, it looks like it may be stuck with the 0LBA

Firmware shows as SD15 still, but the process for removing the 0LBA does not seem to work..

Using the RS232 - TTL, I put the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command and get the "completed format" response, but bios still shows the model # and 0GB...

Am I missing something?

Sorted my son's ST3500320AS with BSY problem thanks to this forum, using an RS232 - TTL converter I made myself using Veroboard and a Max232 IC for use with Fire Alarm panels :D

Really grateful to all who contributed to it and thanks to Fatlip for posting a link here on the seagate forum.

Last time I buy Seagate (or Maxtor)!

Hey guys. Thanks for the great guide. I'm attempting the BSY fix and when I CTRL+Z in hyperterminal all I get is a little black arrow pointing to the right, instead of F3 T>.

I'm using the RS232 to TTL adapter with the TX and RX LED's. I notice that both LED's flash when I try to CTRL+Z.

I've quadruple checked everything and I'm stumped.

I successfully fixed my seagate drive using this method but now,because I have the LC11 firmware I cannot update the drive's firmware so this won't happen again.According to the first page of this topic once I reset my pc 320 times my drive will fail again.Now I know I can use this method to fix it again but I would prefer to be able to avoid my drive locking altogether.I have emailed seagate but they say a firmware fix aint available and to send the drive to them but I would prefer not to do this as it's my main storage drive and I can't do without it.I was wondering if there's a software method of doing this fix in windows while the drive is working so I can reset the log counter manually every once in a while instead of having to take the drive out and doing it once it has bricked again?

Hey guys. Thanks for the great guide. I'm attempting the BSY fix and when I CTRL+Z in hyperterminal all I get is a little black arrow pointing to the right, instead of F3 T>.

I'm using the RS232 to TTL adapter with the TX and RX LED's. I notice that both LED's flash when I try to CTRL+Z.

I've quadruple checked everything and I'm stumped.

Nevermind. I physically reconnected everything and discovered the card stock method. It worked perfectly!

hey guys, if someone can tell, I'd like to use ca-42 cable to fix BSY problem that I have, which one ,I mean ca-42 cable from which phone model, thing is that there is plenty ca-42 cables so the sales man ask which phone model do I have? Maybe somebody know which one should I take.

regards

doctormd

hey guys, if someone can tell, I'd like to use ca-42 cable to fix BSY problem that I have, which one ,I mean ca-42 cable from which phone model, thing is that there is plenty ca-42 cables so the sales man ask which phone model do I have? Maybe somebody know which one should I take.

The CA-42 is the CA-42, see here for a nice pictorial and description:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-1756.html

There is not such a thing as "CA-42 for modell xxxx" and "CA-42 for model yyyy", there are "real" CA-42's and "fake" CA-42's, your mileage may vary, there are differnt "versions" of the CA-42, too, "version 2.2 is reported to be working:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-1794.html

Why people is so obsessed with using CA-42 is still a mistery to me. :unsure:

jaclaz

Sorry, about CA-42 Cable, any version it should be (it will arrive tomorrow), if loopback test will be fine, will be there NO materially difference between other version (or rs232-TTL too) i??

Or, though it transmits and receives data in hyperTerminal, colud be worse than "serial" version or than another ca-42 version?

Thank a lot!!

Ps. if the cable doesn't show which is TX and RX (but i know that both are TX and RX cable) how can i ascertain which in TX and RX? Of course, in loopback mode, i can see that give and take data but i don't know which is..

have i to test necessarily it on HD?? Is there another way? :blushing:

Guest kerjaluar
Why people is so obsessed with using CA-42 is still a mistery to me. :unsure:

maybe bcoz it's much more easier to setup (although the tricky part is to figure out which wires is TX,RX) ... in my case I've no luck with the serial-TTL (maybe I missed something..) which ended up trying the Nokia clone DKU-5 cable, and succeeded recovering the seagate HDD.

--MR

Hi,

My HD is not recognized by BIOS. It spins up and down constantly.

Just managed to connect to the TTL interface and use Hyperterminal to read the messages from my HD and this is what it shows:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

This message is repeated endless. I saw that user Spoox in this forum had the same problem but don't know if he finally managed to fix the problem.

What do you think? May I try the "standard method" for the firmware issue?

Thanks in advance

There is no tricky part in identifying TX and RX. :w00t:

Three easy steps:

1. You connect the cables.
  2. You have EXACTLY a 50% probability they are correctly connected.
  3. If it doesn't work, you exchange the cables and get 100% probability.

Sorting the TX and RX COUPLE of wires FROM the other ones in a CA-42 or other similar cables (if not already documented in this thread) may be trickier as you have to identify also the + and - to which to connect the external battery needed by some of them and the GROUND cable.

jaclaz

Dear jaclaz, thank a lot.

For the question: "..about CA-42 Cable, any version it should be, if loopback test will be fine, will be there NO materially difference between other version (or rs232-TTL too) ?.."

Ultimately: if loopback test is ok, the cable can be considered WORKING at 100% and so it will do its working?

Thanks again!!

Edited by PuppinoCbr

Guest kerjaluar
Sorting the TX and RX COUPLE of wires FROM the other ones in a CA-42 or other similar cables (if not already documented in this thread) may be trickier as you have to identify also the + and - to which to connect the external battery needed by some of them and the GROUND cable.

I guess the advantages of using USB cables like CA-42, DKU-5 etc is we don't need to use the battery, just need to get the GND wire and plug it into the SATA GND pin..

the rest are still the same...

;)

Thank a lot for your reply!!!

Please, now help me!! i'm terrified!! :wacko::unsure:

I've the USB CA-42 cable (not nokia but ti shoud be a chinese version). The colors aren't as original nokia cable and usb jack is all plastered from silicone. So, whatching the pin scheme of original cable, with tester, i have started from metal pin (that should be connected to nokia phone) and i've seen the correspondent (in my case, there're only 4 wires, TX,RX,+,GRD)

When i insert the usb cable into pc, it is correctly found and installed (with the provided driver.. it show "MS3303H USB to Serial Bridge")

I've opened HyperTerminal and set correctly the port (speed etc).

Of course, if i not join TX and RX cables themeselves (for loopback test), it shows "can't open COM"x"..

When i join Rx and TX cable (of course, without HD mounted but only as a test) and i click on CONNECT (in hyp.Terminal), it connects.

Now, if it's ok, when i write a letter (then ENTER), the cursor come back on the same letter.. (see attach.)

post-273935-1263413564_thumb.jpg post-273935-1263413579_thumb.jpg

Is normal or, receiving the same letter, it should be written another letter automatically (therefore it shows 2 letters)??

In my case, the cursor come back onto the same letter, i don't know if it means that the letter is erased and written tha same at its space. Or should it go to a new row?

I've also tryed to attach +3.3 (from orange sata connector) or 5v from red usb.. BUT the situation is the same!!

PS. if i press Ctrl+Z it shows an arrow right oriented... Is it normal??

:unsure:

PLEASEEE HELP ME.. I'M WAITING FOR YOUR HELP (WITH HD PARKED AND READY FOR..)

Edited by PuppinoCbr