The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi all

jaclaz thank you for your answer but i cant find any TTL here in JORDAN but i can bay the same HDD from the store so if i bot another one and change the electric board can i get to the data ??can i copy it to my external 250 G.B. HDD??

the price of new HDD MAXTOR 1T.B. that i found in the store is about 140$ but i cant risk with any data to be lost :}:thumbdown:ph34r: :ph34r:

NO!!! DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, SWAP BOARDS ON MODERN HARD DISK DRIVES. (unless you really, really know what you are doing ;))

I am of course not familiar with availability of electronic equipment in Jordan, but I doubt you cannot find by the dozen some NOKIA cables or some other USB<->Cellular Phone data cable that "talks" TTL, and an experienced guy to test them.

I pointed you to an alternative very simple DYI circuitry. Even if you cannot find a MAX232 or similar IC, I am pretty sure you can find someone with a solder gun, some soldering paste and flux and some thrown away electronics:

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/06/1...ptor-explained/

Scrounging

All the parts you need are probably sitting in electronics devices you could scrounge. You don’t have to have 2N3906 or 2N3904 transistors to make this circuit work. These transistor parts are very common so it’s possible that you will find exactly these devices. Look for the small black (T0-92) packages in electronics scrap and remove them. You will need a PNP and a NPN signal transistor. Many Digital Multi-Meters (DVM) have a built in transistor checker you can use. Try and find transistors that check out with a beta of at least 100. I hope to do an article about testing scrounged transistors soon. Maybe someone will do this article to receive a free Arduino kit.

The other parts such as a diode and LEDs should also be very easy to find. The resistors could be more difficult. You will no doubt find plenty of them but they may not have leeds long enough to work with. The best solution here my be to buy a resistor kit. I recomend a kit from All Electronics. If you know of a better kit please let us know in the comments.

jaclaz

Hi all

jaclaz thank you for your answer but i cant find any TTL here in JORDAN but i can bay the same HDD from the store so if i bot another one and change the electric board can i get to the data ??can i copy it to my external 250 G.B. HDD??

the price of new HDD MAXTOR 1T.B. that i found in the store is about 140$ but i cant risk with any data to be lost :}:thumbdown:ph34r: :ph34r:

NO!!! DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, SWAP BOARDS ON MODERN HARD DISK DRIVES. (unless you really, really know what you are doing ;))

I am of course not familiar with availability of electronic equipment in Jordan, but I doubt you cannot find by the dozen some NOKIA cables or some other USB<->Cellular Phone data cable that "talks" TTL, and an experienced guy to test them.

I pointed you to an alternative very simple DYI circuitry. Even if you cannot find a MAX232 or similar IC, I am pretty sure you can find someone with a solder gun, some soldering paste and flux and some thrown away electronics:

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/06/1...ptor-explained/

Scrounging

All the parts you need are probably sitting in electronics devices you could scrounge. You don’t have to have 2N3906 or 2N3904 transistors to make this circuit work. These transistor parts are very common so it’s possible that you will find exactly these devices. Look for the small black (T0-92) packages in electronics scrap and remove them. You will need a PNP and a NPN signal transistor. Many Digital Multi-Meters (DVM) have a built in transistor checker you can use. Try and find transistors that check out with a beta of at least 100. I hope to do an article about testing scrounged transistors soon. Maybe someone will do this article to receive a free Arduino kit.

The other parts such as a diode and LEDs should also be very easy to find. The resistors could be more difficult. You will no doubt find plenty of them but they may not have leeds long enough to work with. The best solution here my be to buy a resistor kit. I recomend a kit from All Electronics. If you know of a better kit please let us know in the comments.

jaclaz

The problem with Seagate HDs does not rezide on its pc board and firmware only. The HD has a reserved space allocated for especial check and control when it is powered on. If you isolate the contacts on pc board from HD contac spin motor with a piece of paper, your BIOS will detect it but nothing goes further than that. After you pull off the piece of paper, then it turns back to unopperated situation: Drive is not detected. All you have to do is either follow all the instruction given on this forum step by step or send the HD to seagate for repairing. Swapping your pc board with a new one, will not help you at all. If you want the RS232 to TTL adapter, you can find it at the following address: http://www.sigma-shop.com/product/5/max232...ic-project.html. I have the same problem and I've already bought one and it is on its way. Wish you lucky.

Edited by igirao

Hello all,

After 3 months of research, 4 different cables, and countless attempts at unlocking my BSY .5TB Seagate, I find myself stuck by the BSY hurdle itself:

I can finally communicate with the drive in Hyperterminal, but upon issuing the spin down command, I get the typical BSY message. I have placed 2 different types of paper and 2 different business cards between the head contacts, still BSY. I have also placed the aforementioned interruptions between the motor contacts, still BSY. I have placed the interruptions between both sets of contacts, and I get no response from Hyperterminal. As a test, I completely removed the PCB to ensure there was no contact at all, and I likewise get no response from Hyperterminal.

I have scoured this forum, and some other sites, backwards and forwards over the past few months, and I've not seen anyone with the same issue.

Has anyone seen this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

YumMe

Hello,

I get the following...

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

It seems to be missing this line...

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

I tried the BSY fix and the LB0 fix. When I plug it in as a secondary external drive via USB the computer recognizes it, but it shows 0MB.

driveh.jpg

Any ideas? Firmware MX15

Hello, Few days ago my hdd went into the busy state and I am trying to fix it as I have a lot of data there that I need. I am also trying to fix it myself. I am using nokia CA42 to connect it, and I think I have done it right, would anyone here know what driver I need to use as my Windows 7 64bit does not actually recognise it and cannot find any drivers. Please help!

You should go to the Nokia website and download their PC Suite software. The CA-42 is suppose to use a generic driver from within that Suite and is good for both Windows 7 32 and 64-bit.

Hello, first of all i thx all who dedicated theirselves to fix this problem. I am in trouble which i cant find a solution in forums.

My seagate 3500320as was bricked. I used terminal tricks and got my hd back. I didnt upgrade my sd15 at the begining, and started to backup hd first. But it was locking while transfer : i just got 1gb data; need 400 more^^

Because of locks (i mean it pauses transfering data) i loaded firmware sd1a . But after that upgrade, my hdd bricked again. I used terminal and codes again on Sd1a, didnt have too muhc idea what i was doing btw.

My situation atm is : Bios can see my hdd as all values are 0 .

In windows : i ca see my hdd in devices : volume bar only has max capacity avaible, type, status etc are messed up.

I am using testdisk to recover unallocated partition atm. My mind is messed up as well...

In wista storage manager, i have hdd as unknown. trying to write MBR on that and fails. i wrote MBR by testdisk also.

I dont know what situation i am in. I need some advice on which way i should go on, please if you have any idea what i should do, tell me. thanks...

Also in Testdisk "analyse" there are read errors on cycles :( is that mean they are "bad sectors" ?

post-271468-1261538104_thumb.jpg

Edited by badluck

Hello,

I get the following...

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

It seems to be missing this line...

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

I tried the BSY fix and the LB0 fix. When I plug it in as a secondary external drive via USB the computer recognizes it, but it shows 0MB.

driveh.jpg

Any ideas? Firmware MX15

Have you tryed to upgrade the firmware? In my case, after recovery with BSY metod, the hard drive was fully working...

Download appropriate firmware and upgrade it.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

I don't know if you can upgrade via USB... Try to connect HD direct to motherboard.

Good luck

hi

having some trouble with my 7200.11 ST31000333SA firmware LC15

it spins up for 5 seconds than spins down and makes 1 click and this continuesly.

The hard drive is not recognized in bios or windows

Will the BSY trick work or is my problem something else?

thx

Has it happened that a "fixed" harddrive crashed again?

I belive that my Seagate 7200.11 st31000340AS has done so.

It seems like it´s locked in 0mb mode, because it is visible in windows

but not recognized by controller or windows, size is 0mb.

This harddrive is updated to SD1A firmware.

Edit: My drive didn´t crash again, it was just and configuration error.

So, as far as i know, the disks are fine after updating the firmware.

Edited by KlingKlang

I am attempting to fix my hdd using the method mentioned here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM. I have stripped the nokia cable and attached the wires using the pins in blue, green and white repectively. I powered up the hdd and then detached the power supply after it spins down and then pluged in the USB and XP is not detecting new hardware. What can I do?

Actually I have tried another front port and it did detect new hardwware but it could not installed properly.

Edited by Han Solo

Hi everybody.

I live in south suburb of Chicago - Orland Park. I wondered if anybody that recovered their drive and not needing the tried - working hardware could sell it to me. I red that it is possible to get a dud so this would save me a hassle.

Please email offer mkruzel@juno.com

Thank you.

hello! I having the BSY state of my 7200.11 1Tb.

I have an USB-RS-232 cable, and an MAX232 TTL Converter (Make by me)

Y can conect the PCB, but I cant write nothing in Hyperterminal. The window is blank with a cursor, but I cant write nothing. sometimes the hyperterminal window freezes, and then response. the only that run is a conection timer clock

what is wrong????????

I`ve checked the Tx and Rx conection, exchange this, and nothing.

please guide me, help me and excuse my bad english

Hi dear friends,

I am new user here and I really need to your helps about my problem.

I have a DELL-XPS laptop,some days ago when I was working with my laptop and surfing the web too but my laptop got a blue screen error and it restart very fast and the problem began.

My laptop didnot detect the hard drive now and when I turn on it it give a alarm and show the below error:

internal harddisk drive not found!

To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics

I cannot access to the hard details with my PC too and it donot detect in my laptop bios :( but I think its motor work and I hear its voice good.

because I saved my Maxtor hard drive (STM3500320AS) that donot detected in my pc before with this topic ways,I think maybe I could solve this hard problem too with this way.

My laptop hard information:

Model : WD3200BEVT

S/N : WD - WXE508FH4819

Anybody had this problem before?

Can you guide me?

Best Regards,

SHP

Anybody donot know the answer?

Anybody donot know the answer?

YES. :)

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollar...no-answers.html

Is your internal laptop drive a Seagate 7200.11?

Or the equivalent Maxtor model?

Haven't you got the doubt that you are asking, besides the wrong question also in the wrong place? :unsure:

Do you really think that the same solution for a specific Seagate/Maxtor desktop model can apply to a a Western Digital Laptop drive? :w00t:

And that people that try helping in solving the first problem will have all the answers for all the problems of all hard disk drives in the world? :no:

Have you tried to reseat the drive?

The error you are having means, rather obviously:

that the DATA connection between the motherboard and the hard disk is interrupted.

This can be due to:

• bad cables (if any)
  • bad connectors
  • badly seated drive (connectors not making good contact)
  • drive PCB burned
  • laptop HD controller burned

The only thing that you can do, before taking the PC to assistance, is to remove the drive and re-insert it.

If the above fails, you can try with another drive, just to make sure that the laptop/cables/connectors are OK, and that the problem is in the hard disk.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hello, first of all i thx all who dedicated theirselves to fix this problem. I am in trouble which i cant find a solution in forums.

My seagate 3500320as was bricked. I used terminal tricks and got my hd back. I didnt upgrade my sd15 at the begining, and started to backup hd first. But it was locking while transfer : i just got 1gb data; need 400 more^^

Because of locks (i mean it pauses transfering data) i loaded firmware sd1a . But after that upgrade, my hdd bricked again. I used terminal and codes again on Sd1a, didnt have too muhc idea what i was doing btw.

My situation atm is : Bios can see my hdd as all values are 0 .

In windows : i ca see my hdd in devices : volume bar only has max capacity avaible, type, status etc are messed up.

I am using testdisk to recover unallocated partition atm. My mind is messed up as well...

In wista storage manager, i have hdd as unknown. trying to write MBR on that and fails. i wrote MBR by testdisk also.

I dont know what situation i am in. I need some advice on which way i should go on, please if you have any idea what i should do, tell me. thanks...

Also in Testdisk "analyse" there are read errors on cycles :( is that mean they are "bad sectors" ?

No idea at all???

post-271468-1261691046_thumb.jpg

Edited by badluck