The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello I am new here and I believe I have the same problem. I had the .11 which I partitoned into 100GB for a C drive OS etc and then 650GB for mostly multimedia. I have reinstalled Vista into a new HDD but don't have Hyperterminal. So I installed HyperACCESS for 15 day trial period, is that good enough? Also how would you connect the battery to the drive since I don't want to mess from the power supply. And if I do get this fixed where do I get the new firmware?

Hello, Few days ago my hdd went into the busy state and I am trying to fix it as I have a lot of data there that I need. I am also trying to fix it myself. I am using nokia CA42 to connect it, and I think I have done it right, would anyone here know what driver I need to use as my Windows 7 64bit does not actually recognise it and cannot find any drivers. Please help!

Install Virtual XP (free download from Microsoft) and do the repair from within the virtual machine.

Is there anyone here in the Continental US who would perform this fix for me for a fee? I'm quite feeble, admittedly, with these types of operations.

I have a Barracuda 7200.11 that was an external FreeAgent Desktop, 1TB. Had the Delayed Write Errors until ultimately the drive locked up and will not be recognized.

If anyone is willing to help me out, please contact me at mdneer@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance.

Another success! I unbricked my Seagate Barracuda (500 GB)!

I used the following things:

- a laptop running Win XP

- a deskop PC (running Win 7)

- a "USB to TTL Serial Cable (3.3V)" (TTL-232R-3V3-WE) (FTDIChip.com)

Instead of dismounting the PCB, I used the technique of covering the connection under the PCB at the left side of the drive (having the hard drive's SATA port in front of me with the PCB on top) with some piece of plastic.

I powered the drive with a standard Molex-SATA power adapter using the desktop PC. NO additional powering (battery etc.) was necessary.

For the hyperterminal interaction, I used the laptop with Win XP. First of all, I simply plugged in the USB side of the TTL-232R-3V3-WE cable (without having the Barracuda connected). Win XP recognized the new hardware. I installed the drivers taken from the FTDIChip.com website with the "Have disk"-button. Then I followed Gradius' method found in the first post in this thread.

After that I rescued my data and installed a new version of the Seagate firmware.

Edited by tombox2010

Hi all,

After I followed the steps to connect the serial interface and supply power to the HDD. The only thing on hyperterminal I am getting is

RequestResumeSaveSmartFrame

Some one on the other web said this is normal, but I simply can not enter any command to the HDD. Can any one help here? Thanks a lot!

I have Seagate 7200.11 500 GB ST3500320AS(rectangle PCB, not like yours strange shaped PCB) FirmwareSD15, Nokia CA-42 cable, Torx T6 and big will to revive the brick from BSY error

:blushing: PLEASE!

I've seen that plastic card or visit card can be put to both motor and head part so there are few questions:

1. Where exactly should I put the card? - OVER HEAD

2. What will happen if I make a mistake? - Don't even think of that!

3. What happens when the motor engage the PCB while the HDD is powered on(if I've put the card on head)? - Nothing special!

4. Can anyone guide me through the power off/on process? - IT'S NOT NEEDED, FOLLOW "F" commands!

After less than 3mins everything was done and the brick was alive again!

Thank you ALL!

Edited by Badboy81

Hi dear friends,

I am new user here and I really need to your helps about my problem.

I have a DELL-XPS laptop,some days ago when I was working with my laptop and surfing the web too but my laptop got a blue screen error and it restart very fast and the problem began.

My laptop didnot detect the hard drive now and when I turn on it it give a alarm and show the below error:

internal harddisk drive not found!

To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics

I cannot access to the hard details with my PC too and it donot detect in my laptop bios :( but I think its motor work and I hear its voice good.

because I saved my Maxtor hard drive (STM3500320AS) that donot detected in my pc before with this topic ways,I think maybe I could solve this hard problem too with this way.

My laptop hard information:

Model : WD3200BEVT

S/N : WD - WXE508FH4819

Anybody had this problem before?

Can you guide me?

Best Regards,

SHP

ST3500320AS successfully recovered from BSY error.

I just register to say a big thanks to all of you for the useful information and a special thanks to Gradius for posting the solution.

I recover my data for only 2 euros (I've already had some equipment though) using a circuit shown below.

circuit_232.jpg

I will just stick to one thing that I had difficulties to solve.

The only way to get response on the terminal was to block the motor contacts with a piece of paper.

nakeddrivecloseup.jpg

after that i followed the instructions mentioned in the first page of this topic and i've got my data back :thumbup .

Hi 4 all

Im new here & i ask for some help

i have a HDD MAXTOR 1T.B. now it be stoped by sending an I/O Error so i cant reach to data on it and cant copy ,cut or paset from or to it so i wach the move on you tube and read some of yor problims

so ...

my bro if any body can help me becaouse i cant find the NOKIA ca-42 cable or RS232 to TTL but i alrady have a RS232 to USB Cable exactly like this

http://www.amazon.com/RS232-SERIAL-CONVERT...916&sr=1-24

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0...916&sr=1-24

so it came with small CD-R for drivers but wene i opend it i dont find the ( RX , TX , VCC , and GND ) on the bord in usb side but i fond sume of them under the RS232 so can i use the usb rather than the RS 232 ???

i have all my work and family photo , sume of important paper on it :wacko::blink::crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

thank you all

my bro if any body can help me becaouse i cant find the NOKIA ca-42 cable or RS232 to TTL but i alrady have a RS232 to USB Cable exactly like this

No , you need a TTL level interface, NOT a RS232, (and not a parallel centronics, and not a VGA, and not anything else but something that gives the appropriate signals).

A good part of this thread is about people asking if they can use whatever they have handy instead of what is needed, and they are told no, you can't use that.

On the other hand:

i have all my work and family photo , sume of important paper on it

Would you risk that with something that may in theory blow the board?

Read this:

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/06/1...ptor-explained/

You need AT LEAST a poorman's converter (and it is not guranteed it will work).

TTL levels:

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

RS232 levels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232#Voltage_levels

WHY a converter of some kind is needed:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/83

jaclaz

Hi all

jaclaz thank you for your answer but i cant find any TTL here in JORDAN but i can bay the same HDD from the store so if i bot another one and change the electric board can i get to the data ??can i copy it to my external 250 G.B. HDD??

the price of new HDD MAXTOR 1T.B. that i found in the store is about 140$ but i cant risk with any data to be lost :}:thumbdown:ph34r: :ph34r: