The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

situation remains the same. any idea? anyone who can assist? do not know what else to try... pls pls pls
Please help.

The situation is:

I have used a serial ttl adaptor which works ok for the 38400 speed (verified by running the loopback test).

I am using a separate PSU than that of the PC running the HyperTerminal software.

I have grounded the separate PSU and the PC PSU together.

I have connected the GND pin to the separate PSU molex connector (black wire).

I have connected the TX/RX cables in the right order (I have aslo tried the reverse).

The ttl adaptor has two LED indicators labeled TX and RX (TX:Green RX:Red).

When I run the Loopback test the HyperTerminal software identified the baud rate and correctly displayed it on its window (38400 8-N-1) and both LEDS were blinking on every keystroke and were not lit when nothing was pressed on the keyboard.

When i connected the ttl adaptor to the HDD both LEDS were lit constantly (not blinking) and there was no output on the HyperTerminal screen (regardless of pressing any key or not) nor was the baud rate identified.

When i reversed the TX/RX cables the only difference was that the RX LED (Red) was constatly lit and the TX LED was not lit at all (Green).

The HDD is able to spin if only the SATA power cable is connected and this must indicate that the disk and the pcb are still alive.

Finally I have tried isolating the spin motor connector as well as the data connectors (not at the same time of course).

Guys please help...

I have the exact same problem! I'm wondering if the HDD itself is busted as I'm seeing some strange voltage readings on the three hdd pins (gnd, rx, and tx), but given my current lack of understanding I'm not confident enough to say what I'm seeing is unexpected. Have you had any luck?

Alright I'm obviously a noob at this. Turns out I had confused the purpose of the pins... and was trying to use the two furthest from the SATA connector as RX and TX.

*face palm*

But at least now I see data from the hdd, and the code confirms i have the BSY issue.

My question is basically that I am not sure which error I have.

It seems to me like you answered yourself to your question :):

The BIOS indicated that the drive was present but was ZERO megabytes in size.
There are two common errors on Seagate 7200.11 HDDs (caused by bugs on firmware):

- 0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive.

- BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or BuSY state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment.

jaclaz

To jaclaz,

It looks like you are right; it turned out to be an LBA 0 error and a bunch of bad cables. The 1.5 TB drive is back to its old self, ready to crash another day.

Glad to hear that there is another happy bunny in the basket :):

http://www.msfn.org/board/cant-access-repa...27-page-10.html

The problem is that the sky may fall on our head tomorrow....

abraracourcix.gif

http://www.asterix-international.de/asterix/characters.shtml

Abraracourcix, called Vitalstatistix in the English books, the chief of the tribe. Majestic, brave and hot-tempered the old warrior is respected by his men and feared by his enemies. Abraracourcix himself has only one fear; he is afraid the sky may fall on his head tomorrow. But as he always says, 'Tomorrow never comes.'

;)

jaclaz

Hi All,

I was able to successfully recover my 500GB seagate HDD. Gradius, your tutorial is very nice. Thanks for all for their valuble suggestions.

During my recovery, i faced the following issue.

F3 T>/2

F3 2> Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.154 msecs

(Paper card Removed)

F3 2> U

(Drive begins to emit a quiet Buzzing noise every 1.5 seconds. Seven Minutes later..)

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

I then with HDD power ON, tightened all the screws on the PCB. In my case, the issue was with the PCB and HDD contacts. SO i set all the screws and tightened the screws. Then i issued the command 'U' and got the spin complete message. And then i followed the remaining steps to get the HDD recovered. And then updated the firmware.

Salute to the msfn gurus :thumbup

Salute to Gradius :thumbup

Thanks

guru

Hi, i recovered my hd from BSY error.

My hd is Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB ST3500820AS with firmware SD81.

First didn't work breaking the contact of the motor with the peapar, then i tried with the peapar on heads contact and didn't work also.

So i tried breaking both the contant and it worked.

So now i should upgrade the firmware to SD1A version but i'm scared, if something goes wrong??

Even if it goes well, it's that sure i will not have some issue in the future (example read and write speed limited performance)??

So now i ask you, there is a way to backup my original SD81 firmware?

So in case i may restore it again!!

Edited by michael chiklis

Hi

Mabye this is a stupid question. :wacko:

Do I have to cover both conatct? The one in the right lower side with the screw in it and the one that looks like it would go to the spindle motor? Or only one of them? If only one, which one? I can connect to the PCB via terminal. But I get errors. If I cover only the one with the screw hole in it it get errors, CC or CE, cant remember at the moment.

Thanks alot

Do I have to cover both conatct? The one in the right lower side with the screw in it and the one that looks like it would go to the spindle motor? Or only one of them?

Most people seem to cover just the 'right lower side one' as per the guide and that works. However some people, myself included, had to cover the motor contact for it to work instead. Whatever the situation, you don't cover both.

Suggest checking out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

This guide details covering the motor head, if the other way doesn't work (and this worked for me):

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

Edited by AntonyF

Hello, Few days ago my hdd went into the busy state and I am trying to fix it as I have a lot of data there that I need. I am also trying to fix it myself. I am using nokia CA42 to connect it, and I think I have done it right, would anyone here know what driver I need to use as my Windows 7 64bit does not actually recognise it and cannot find any drivers. Please help!

Hi Edvin,

Those cables are not new generation. I think it's difficult to find 64 bit Windows 7 driver. Normally most of all the drivers will work.

My suggestion is find an old HDD and install temporary XP on it, recover your HDD and go back to Win 7

Good luck

Hi Edvin,

Those cables are not new generation. I think it's difficult to find 64 bit Windows 7 driver. Normally most of all the drivers will work.

My suggestion is find an old HDD and install temporary XP on it, recover your HDD and go back to Win 7

Good luck

Thanks for that, I was thinking the same, I have got a spare HDD so I'll just install xp on it. Thanks again on the advice!

I have what I believe is the BSY failure described here on my 1.5TB Freeagent Desktop. According to Seagate, and they'd never lie, my firmware version CC3H is not susceptible to this error like the older versions. Has anyone had this same problem with the CC# level of firmwares? I haven't made it through the entire 112 pages yet, but all the ones I read had the older SD#, etc.. firmware numbers. Just curious before I go too far down this path.

My problem was the dying on reboot and now I get the "beeps" every 2 seconds until it goes into sleep mode.