The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello People,

Someone please help. I followed this DIY guide but after the last command m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22. It's been 2hours now and I don't see anything. The first post by Gradius said that turning off the drive without seeing something after m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 will ruin the drive.

Here's my log in HyperTerminal so far:

-----------------------------

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elaspsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elaspsed Time 6.894 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Can somone help please?

thanks

Sometime I have stopped it and no problem, two hours is too. But it is a risk.

Have you BSY problem? Have you unmounted the electronic board? Did you do the required steps of power off and power on after each stage?

Can you tell me your firmware version? SD15?

Anyone want to un-brick mine so I don't have to study all this mateial, find the right screwdriver, and buy buy these connectors? I'm sure I could do it.... but I don't wanna. I would be sending a perfect 300 gb eide Maxtor drive that was used only once to backup a ton of software ... that you can keep. And I have a Seagate 7200.7 drive that is dead if you want it. I don't think that one has a bricking problem. I understand that if something went wrong you would not be responsible... there is nothing really critical on the drive but there some stuff I would like to get back.

Thanks

Terry Blount http://win7secrets.com

Hi,

Any help would be welcome, as returning the HDD is not solution to my 480gigs of data (mostly family pics and videos... I'd rather kill myself than to loose this) :(

My one is a ST3500320AS with the problematic formware.

It stopped after a year usage, and I was not aware of this Seagate problem...

I've been through a "million pages", read everything, so decided to do this.

I did the Nokia DKU-5 method. Everyhting is OK... until the spin up command.

If I cover the motor contacts, or cover the head contacts, the result is the same... the HDD does the same... the sound is like the head moves to a way, then pulls back... moves, pulls back... so it doesn't spin up... after a while this stops...

I receive this message on the terminal window:

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 7 mins 17 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

F3 2>

Spinning Down

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.142 msecs

Delaying 5000 msec

Jumping to Power On Reset

Bogus ISR

Help needed and any help is welcome...

thanks

I like to thank Gradius2 and everybody else here who contributed with solutions and pictures.

I managed to recover my ST3500320AS SD15 stuck in the busy state, not seen in bios.

I used a Nokia ca-42 made in thailand with the contacts covered in plastic.

It ended up with a battery attached, Rx/Tx on blue/white and worked like a charm! :thumbup

Thank you everybody!

Regards

Zeke

Sweden

Västerås

flagga.jpg

My cable

Nokia.JPG

My sad story goes like this:

I have a 1,5TB Seagate (ST31500341AS, firmware SD17).

The Seagate site says that my S/N does not need firmware upgrade, yet, trying to re-format it - it died.

BIOS can see it, but windows could not mount it. Not a big problem though, since there were no data on it.

I tried the firmware upgrade to SD1B.

BUT, did not pay attention that there was another 320GB Seagate (ST3320613AS, firmware SD22) that got first in line for the firmware upgrade.

When I noticed it, it was too late.

Now, I have this second disk flashed with the wrong firmware (SD1B instead the latest for this model SD2B)

It is not detected by the BIOS, nor spins-up during POST.

The bottom line question:

Is there a way via the terminal communication to flash-back the proper firmware?

Edited by spiti

just signed up to say thanks to all contributors to this thread & post about the odd issues i ran into as it might help someone else

first off, I went the (generic) CA-42 cable route & connected the TX & RX up to a reset switch cable from an old PC case (with blutac), then used a connector from a cracked open CD audio cable to hook up the GND pin. The cable making bit alone took me a couple of hours with a scalpel & google... luckily they used the USB-standard wire colours.

I couldn't install the CA-42 drivers on Win7x64 so had to use a 32bit Vista laptop - no hyperterminal on vista, so I downloaded it & Tera Term. No sata on the laptop, so had to power the HD from the PC. TX / RX loopback test worked, but couldn't get a hyperterminal or teraterm connection to the HD at all. Spent HOURS messing about with TX/RX, checking pins, com port settings but none of it worked.

Eventually remembered Win7's XP mode. Fired up the XP virtual machine & it detected the CA-42 cable & installed the drivers. Opened hyperterminal and it connected first time. Followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM and all was good.

Winner.

Edited by pete.b

Hi all,

Thanks to Gradius and all the help provided here

- "Another One fights the Dust".

Documenting my struggle through the day to get the Hyper Terminal, Error message or the F3 T>.

Tx Rx switching was very well documented so First thing attemped.

Reading and rereading most pages helped solve the Problems of plug and pray Hyperterminal response, which were finally due to :

a) incorrect Sata Power Cable to Hard Disk Drive. Had no idea of the special orange 3.3V issue in bringing up a terminal.

Soln) Used an External USB HDD Enclosure for power as my Desktop SMPS has NO sata power cable, even though it is just six months old and has 4 sata peripherals.

After nearly six hours got my first sighting of LED:000000CC... BSY Error.

B) Another hour and still no terminal.

Soln) Reconnected the setup to my laptop and started Hyperterminal. Instant Terminal response from HD and rest was cool 2 minutes.

Note: My Desktop is fully and perfectly functional with constant development for embedded systems happening where Hyperterminal and root Console is the first step.

Reason for above: Still cannot fathom, but DON't give up and do try on another machine if available.

Maybe this would help somebody as I had nearly given up thinking that maybe my HD had more to it than the BSY error.

But these 2 simple steps.... Guess the 3.3V orange wire deserves a mention in the main post (@GRADIUS) and we can try and make a faq of these weird solutions lots of people have discovered and mentioned here in this mammoth and helpful forum.

Another useful piece of information if it helps as there is a lot of doubt on the serial adaptor.

Used a cheap Chinese USB to Nokia adapter cable which was lying at home. Most of these have a PL2303(PL2303HX) ic inside. Checked the PL2303 datasheet which has

Pin 1 as Tx ( to connect to Rx of HDD),

Pin 5 as Rx (to connect to Tx of HDD) and

Pin 7 as Gnd

for RS232 communications TTL 3.3V. Rest don't care.

Unsoldered the Nokia pop port from the black box in this adapter. Found a flat connecting header from old CPU cabinet - ones from the front panel. Soldered it to the adapter after tracing the Pins of PL2303 using a multimeter. Filed the header connector to make it thin enough to enter the HDD serial connection socket and connected this cable with USB side to PC and header side to HDD serial.

Thanks again

rkan63

I bought a ca-42 cable off amazon, followed this guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

no dice

no response after ctrl+z

the casing for the usb plug of my cable wasn't plastic it was rubber molded over a pcb encased in glue, which i had to cut off to read the port plugs.

connecting the tx to the rx cable produces no echo in hyperterminal either

i used the drivers that came with the device

should I use another one?

Hi all,

First, let me say thank you to Gradius2 for this very easy to follow guide, it is worth a lot :)

I followed the steps, and successfully managed to restore my ST31000340AS to working state (I had the BSY error).

After checking that all my data was intact on the disk, I opted to upgrade the firmware on it to SD1A to make sure I didn't end up with the same problem once more. However, this is were my disk stopped working again :(

The firmware upgrade was successful (I got the message "Power cycle your drive NOW to complete upgrade"), and after the power cycle the drive is detected by the BIOS, with correct model number and firmware revision. But, for some reason, the disk now claims to be 33MB in size...

My question now is, has anyone seen anything similar before? Should I follow the "0 LBA" reocvery procedure and do a SMART format?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the issue.

// Zilla

I followed the steps, and successfully managed to restore my ST31000340AS to working state (I had the BSY error).

After checking that all my data was intact on the disk, I opted to upgrade the firmware on it to SD1A to make sure I didn't end up with the same problem once more. However, this is were my disk stopped working again

If I were you, I'd take it back to where you bought and ask for replacement under warranty, but would definitely not use the 7200.11 again...

I have the spin up problem... but if I will bring it back to life, will just backup data and smash it with a large hammer...

Anyone with the "Error 1009"???

Isoxene brought it up (I followed ther link above), but there were no solutions, as I saw...

After checking that all my data was intact on the disk, I opted to upgrade the firmware on it to SD1A to make sure I didn't end up with the same problem once more. However, this is were my disk stopped working again :(

I hope AFTER having thoroughfully backed up the recovered data. :unsure:

Or did you took your chances one time too much? :ph34r:

Really cannot say if repeating the "unbricking" procedure with the new firmware will give any "advantage". :(

jaclaz

If I were you, I'd take it back to where you bought and ask for replacement under warranty, but would definitely not use the 7200.11 again...

Indeed, I do not plan to get any new Seagate disks in the future. I had still hoped to be able to use this disk to store unimportant data. Warranty isn't really my style, I'd rather try to fix it until I break it for real :)

I hope AFTER having thoroughfully backed up the recovered data. :unsure:

Or did you took your chances one time too much? :ph34r:

Really cannot say if repeating the "unbricking" procedure with the new firmware will give any "advantage". :(

jaclaz

Well, I didn't expect the firmware update to break anything (although I know it is always a possibility), and I didn't really have any place to dump 1TB of data. Still, everything on the disk is replacable, so I'm not too worried, but I refuse to give up without a fight B)

I'll go through the command reference tonight and see if I can find any commands that can give some more information on the state of the disk. Maybe I'll try to re-run the firmware update to see if it changes anything, but I'm not hopeful on that.

// Zilla

Well, I didn't expect the firmware update to break anything (although I know it is always a possibility), and I didn't really have any place to dump 1TB of data. Still, everything on the disk is replacable, so I'm not too worried, but I refuse to give up without a fight B)

Then, if you have nothing to lose, I would first try re-flashing the original firmware. :unsure:

jaclaz