The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I continually receive the following error message:

"Another program is using the telephony device. Try again after the other program completes."

I got that too when I plugged in my razr with Hyperterminal open. I have a program called Motorola Phone Tools opened and just shut it down and reconnected with HT. Perhaps that port is being used by a another program in which case you should kill any running processes that are using the COM port you are trying to connect to.

I've noticed in most of the tutorials related to the various fixes, the Hyperterminal "Connect To" screen does not contain an area code entry. Mine does (apparently entered by the maker of this custom made computer at the time of purchase). I have attempted to delete the area code manually and then changing the auto detect setting to ANSI....to no avail.

If you are using the correct COM port that is used by your CA-42 cable, the area code will not matter and will be unable to be changed anyway when you do use the right one.

Hope that helps you a bit.

I've noticed in most of the tutorials related to the various fixes, the Hyperterminal "Connect To" screen does not contain an area code entry. Mine does (apparently entered by the maker of this custom made computer at the time of purchase). I have attempted to delete the area code manually and then changing the auto detect setting to ANSI....to no avail.

If you are using the correct COM port that is used by your CA-42 cable, the area code will not matter and will be unable to be changed anyway when you do use the right one.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Thanks Nitrohelix. That does help somewhat. However, the issue with the COM ports remains an enigma. COM 1 on my computer has the windows system drivers for the ports: serenum.sys and serial.sys. The Nokia cable is installed on COM 3.

After checking the phone/modem control panel listing for available modems, I find nothing but bluetooth types, which only allow me to assign them to COM 1. COM 3 isn't even listed, although it shows in device manager.

For a 5 minute fix, this whole process has become somewhat of a nightmare for me.

I was hoping I wouldn't have any more problems but here goes;

As I said in my previous post, I managed to recover my HDD and its seen in the bios and everything but for some reason I can't seem to boot it up to Windows. I get up to the Windows loading bar then after that for a fraction of a second I see a blue screen and it restarts my PC again, it does this everytime. However if I have another HDD connected as a main I can boot up into Windows and see the recovered HDD but the whole system seems very slow due to the recovered HDD. I managed to backup my important files and flashed to the latest firmware but just wanted to know what may be up with my HDD.

Any ideas?

I was hoping I wouldn't have any more problems but here goes;

As I said in my previous post, I managed to recover my HDD and its seen in the bios and everything but for some reason I can't seem to boot it up to Windows. I get up to the Windows loading bar then after that for a fraction of a second I see a blue screen and it restarts my PC again, it does this everytime. However if I have another HDD connected as a main I can boot up into Windows and see the recovered HDD but the whole system seems very slow due to the recovered HDD. I managed to backup my important files and flashed to the latest firmware but just wanted to know what may be up with my HDD.

Any ideas?

Yes. :)

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollar...no-answers.html

I guess that the "other" HD that you connect as "main" has a working Windows version.

First thing DISABLE the "automatic reboot" on error.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

More details here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/repair-not-recog...-2k-t97313.html

Then start a NEW thread, possibly here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-xp-f34.html

posting the exact error you see on the BSOD, your current problem is OUTSIDE the scope of the present thread.

jaclaz

To Twittwilly:

What cable are you using? "Made in Thailand" (original) or "Made in china" (generic)?

Considering the original cable, i found a old version of the driver that didn´t install any phone manager.

Search nokias homepage for drivers to the cable if you´re using the original one.

I can repost my drivers if i can find it again, however, start to look for it yourself, there is no

guarantee that i find my driver.

Edit:

I was using this driver i think: http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-so...53-ca-70-ca-101

Edited by KlingKlang

To Twittwilly:

What cable are you using? "Made in Thailand" (original) or "Made in china" (generic)?

Considering the original cable, i found a old version of the driver that didn´t install any phone manager.

Search nokias homepage for drivers to the cable if you´re using the original one.

I can repost my drivers if i can find it again, however, start to look for it yourself, there is no

guarantee that i find my driver.

Edit:

I was using this driver i think: http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-so...53-ca-70-ca-101

This is what I ordered from CCMAccessories, through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Original-CA-42...ref=pd_cp_cps_2

It has the soft blue outer covering and the harder white plastic inner covering over the circuit board.

It came with the installation CD, containing the drivers and PC Suite.

The cable is recognized by the computer and passed the loop test.

Edited by Twittwilly

To twittwilly:

You have definitely a original cable.

Have you tried the attached link?

I´m pretty sure that i used this driver.

Don´t forget to remove the "Nokia connectivity suite"!

I assue based on you previous postings, that you have got the cable to work with external power...

I´ll check back within a hour...

Good luck!

I continually receive the following error message:

"Another program is using the telephony device. Try again after the other program completes."

I got that too when I plugged in my razr with Hyperterminal open. I have a program called Motorola Phone Tools opened and just shut it down and reconnected with HT. Perhaps that port is being used by a another program in which case you should kill any running processes that are using the COM port you are trying to connect to.

Within Nokia PC Suite, under the Settings/Manage Connections tab, there are two activation options (among the 4 available) that were checked. One was the CA-42 serial cable (which was tied into COM 1, as the only option available). The other was USB cable which wasn't tied into anything but cannot be configured.

I unchecked the CA-42 serial cable, and was then able to configure the modems I've tried thus far to COM 3 (to which the CA-42 is connected and recognized). However, still not able to enjoy success with data entry into Hyperterminal.

To twittwilly:

You have definitely a original cable.

Have you tried the attached link?

I´m pretty sure that i used this driver.

Don´t forget to remove the "Nokia connectivity suite"!

I assue based on you previous postings, that you have got the cable to work with external power...

I´ll check back within a hour...

Good luck!

I've uninstalled PC suite and the drivers previously installed. Burned the unzipped DKU-5 files to CD, went through the installation process.

Upon initial connection of the cable, the new found hardware process was unsuccessful. The cable is recognized only as an "other device" within device manager, which is inoperable (yellow question mark & exclamation point on the listing).

Edited by Twittwilly

guys,

i have a barracuda 7200.9 drive with firmware level 3.AAJ, ST3500641AS drive. i've tried to make sense out of the info on seagate page. but i really cant find my drive on any firmware update list(maybe its a very old one, bought in sept 2008).

this drive shows the symptoms of being hung on BSY. i am planning to recover it using this method. i just need to know if this method works on my drive too. a confident yes, and i am good to go.

thanks

To Twittwilly:

I´m a bit puzzled here, how did you do the loopback test, if you can´t connect in Hyperterminal?

I unchecked the CA-42 serial cable, and was then able to configure the modems I've tried thus far to COM 3 (to which the CA-42 is connected and recognized).

If you can config COM3, you should be able to configure Hyperterminal to access Com3, or am i missing something?

What can you see in "device manager" in windows?

To Twittwilly:

I´m a bit puzzled here, how did you do the loopback test, if you can´t connect in Hyperterminal?

I unchecked the CA-42 serial cable, and was then able to configure the modems I've tried thus far to COM 3 (to which the CA-42 is connected and recognized).

If you can config COM3, you should be able to configure Hyperterminal to access Com3, or am i missing something?

What can you see in "device manager" in windows?

You're puzzled? Well, I'm absolutely baffled!!!!

The references to an inability to connect to Hyperterminal are solely related to my attempts thus far to install and use a modem supplied from the listing within the Phone/Modem control panel, which was part of the sequence performed by Nitrohelix in her YouTube tutorial. The above quote you cite is from a response she provided to me, suggesting that I shutdown/uncheck the COM 1 connection within PC Suite (which the program it installs takes over) so that the modem could then be directed to COM 3 (where my cable is installed) for the tie-in. Until her response, any modem I attempted to install was directed to COM 1 with no ability to change any settings to direct it to any other COM port. After following her suggestion, I was then able to re-direct the modem to COM 3, but unable to communicate with Hyperterminal. I've tried reversing the TX and RX wires, but nothing I enter is displayed.

Prior to all of this, I connected just the cable to the USB port on the computer and looped the blue and white wires on my cable and was able to see the data as I entered it.

After an unsuccessful result following a suggestion from KlingKlang on page 103, I have now reverted back to my previous configuration. What I am seeing now in device manager are the following:

Under the Modem category:

A Motorola USB modem connected to COM 3

(The Nokia modems installed (and listed within the Phone/Modem control panel) with PC Suite are all bluetooth types , which I cannot use on my computer.)

Under the Ports (COM & LPT):

COM 1 (empty)

COM 3 (Nokia CA-42 cable)

Edited by Twittwilly

To Twittwilly:

Uhmm.. Ok, my bad! :)

I was confused from your previous posts, sorry.

Have you tried to connect GND to the harddrive as well?

I recall having issues getting communication from the harddrive until i connected Gnd.

However, i did get response from it, but just barely.. (I think i got an arrow pointing right).

Connecting Gnd solved it, there is apparently two gnd, power gnd and data gnd.

I connected power gnd, Black in my case but other has reported that they have used data gnd (yellow) successfully.

To Pets:

Do you have to upgrade it, is it affected by the bug?

Edited by KlingKlang

"To Pets:

Do you have to upgrade it, is it affected by the bug?"

Yes i think so it's two disks in the NAS and one of them is not found in bios then i put them in a pc.

I haven't tried this fix yet but i will as soon as i get time.

/Peter