The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi Jaclaz,

I first followed the fix for BSY as mentioned in this forum. If you see the first part, it includes all the commands plus the g-list commands also. yet, the drive is not detected.

Hmmm, it is well possible that it is then NOT a LAB0 or BSY problem :unsure:, but before giving up I would try again following CarterinCanada method:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

including the removing of SATA power:

And give the S.M.A.R.T. erase command

F3 1>N1 (enter)

Which will simply return the level one prompt

F3 1>

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.

Now back in HyperTerminal, you'll need to hit CTRL-Z to get a fresh prompt

F3 T>

And it's time to regenerate the partitions with the command (notice the lower case here)

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter) <-------- note, that is five commas in a row in the centre

and/or check the "variations" Aviko posted and/or the googlepages guide:

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/Ho...le-instructions

(which however also advises a power cycle after S.M.A.R.T. wipe)

jaclaz

Thanks Gradius!!!!!!!!! I don't have words to thank you.......Finally Recovered the drive.

Just few days ago my seagate 500GB went dead. i was so curious about it that i went to almost every shop to recover it but none of them helped me. came back home with no hope...but when i saw this and actually perform this guide myself, my drive came to life in no time. When it first booted i was so happy that i can't describe because this is the main drive which had all my important files..

I almost read this guide for 3 days and after that i performed it with patience and result was awesome.

Guys i want to ask..i have updated the firmware with the latest one..so is it safe to use it or i switch to other drive. Though i made the backup of the important files already.

OK, so my USB-to-serial adapter won't work. I did purchase a CA-42 cable but I have not been able to get the proper drivers to make it work. I went to the following site: http://file4.uafile.com/~d/drv/Win98%20Me%202k%20XP/ and I could not figure things out. I downloaded the file "Cable_Driver.exe" and it didn't really install any drivers. Where is the best place to get the drivers that work with this cable? TIA.

OK, so my USB-to-serial adapter won't work. I did purchase a CA-42 cable but I have not been able to get the proper drivers to make it work. I went to the following site: http://file4.uafile.com/~d/drv/Win98%20Me%202k%20XP/ and I could not figure things out. I downloaded the file "Cable_Driver.exe" and it didn't really install any drivers. Where is the best place to get the drivers that work with this cable? TIA.

If you are using Windows 7 than try to switch to vista or xp. When i was trying to install the drivers on my windows 7 it couldn't find no matter from where i download. I switched to my laptop which has vista 32bit and same drivers which were not installing on my windows 7 PC they actually worked on my vista laptop.

Hello,

I successfully recovered my harddisk with the procedure mentioned on this thread. Thanks to everyone who put their night sweat and effort into it. I did it with nokia cable DKU-5 on Windows XP machine and you do not need to any 3.3 or 5 volts charge attached to it. It is self powered from the USB. Just attache Tx and Rx as mentioned in the thread and you can proceed if all goes well.

As my token of appreciation I am sharing the 'Very guarded and hard to find SD3B' firmware for the seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 1TB drives which suffered this problem and have a firmware SD35 or higher. This is not available on the seagate website and only acquired after long debate and demand, it will update the applicable harddrives even if they were not verified in the seagate serial checker utility, which in my case was true. It was hard to find since I was not risking my data again with the same drive after recovery, without a reliable firmware update.

Seagate customer service representative only will check your serial number against the utility on the website and if it is not shown, they will keep you telling that it is not the same firmware LBA 0 and BSY issue which according to them has only hit a limited number of drives, but the reality it there are number of drives around the globe with unmatched serial numbers with the same problem.

Make a bootable CD from this ISO and attach only your affected harddisk to your PC's internal SATA port, it will run and recognize the drive, if it is not applicable to your drive then do't worry, it will not perform an update and will quit itself.

http://rapidshare.com/files/289258663/Brinks-3D6H-SD3B.ISO

Hope it will help the individuals looking out there for it.

Thanks.

Edited by AquaFire

Hello all,

Need help please. I tried to unbrick hdd using cell phone cable dku-5 and max3232 (rs232 to ttl) and got the same result (No response from ctrl Z nor ctrl L) . I tried the loopback test in hyperterminal and the result was ok but when I connected the sata power from my PC psu to hdd (as per Mr. Gradius2's solution) and restarted hyperterminal, I couldn't get any response from ctrl z. I've recheck the wiring Ground, tx, rx. Everything seems ok.

My son's hdd is barracuda 7200.11 320 GB model ST3320613AS and the firmware is CC2H (seagate forum mentioned no need to upgrage fw). Now it looks like the hdd has a BSY ERR because the motor spins but the PC can't detect it. If I connect tx rx grn without removing the pcb from hda, when I start Hyperterminal, it shows

LED: 000000CD Faddr: 00010303

Please advise whether this Seagate hdd Model ST3320613AS (320 GB, FW : CC2H) can be unbricked. I wonder because most of the success is 500 GB or 1 TB HDD with FW SD15.

I'm happy for everyone who gets data back. Now I really need help since my son lost his data while he was trying to do the data backup from this hdd. Almost all of his data were lost. I try to contact data recovery services but they told me the price that I could buy 4 new hdds (Best effort but No guarantee). I wish l can unbrick this hdd since I am the one who asked my son to do the data backup.

I don't know whether there is any answer to this model in this forum since I've only read 20 pages of this forum. if there is one, please tell me the page no. or Post no.

Thank you for your advise.

Edited by song2003

Finally got my TTL interface to drive working but no F3 prompt only >

if I type in ? I get

Boot Cmds:

DS

AP <addr>

WT <data>

RD

GO

TE

BR <divisor>

BT

?

RET

if I type in GO the drive responds

TetonST Boot Rom 2.0

Copyright Seagate 2006

Does this mean the drive firmware is not even loading ?

Cannot say. :unsure:

Try a CTRL+L:

http://www.msfn.org/board/seagate-barracud...-page-1105.html

and post results.

If there was a problem you should get this also:

http://translate.google.it/translate?u=htt...it&ie=UTF-8

TetonST Boot ROM 2.0

Copyright Seagate 2006

Serial FLASH boot code checksum failure!

before.

See if anything in the "commands" help:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...07-page-15.html

Doesn't CTRL+Z do anything?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

If you are using Windows 7 than try to switch to vista or xp. When i was trying to install the drivers on my windows 7 it couldn't find no matter from where i download. I switched to my laptop which has vista 32bit and same drivers which were not installing on my windows 7 PC they actually worked on my vista laptop.

Hmmm. I am using a Windows XP 32bit Desktop. Is this definitely the same driver that everyone is using? Installed by running the Cable_Driver.exe file? My cable is definitely the CA-42. It says it on the blue USB connector.

I haven't attempted the fix yet, (need to order the Nokia CA-42 cable first) but I have some questions. I'm going to be using an old CD-ROM audio cable that I have laying around and I need a few clarifications in how to connect everything together, so correct me if I have it wrong.

Once I open the black plastic cover I have 3 cables exposed correct?

I pull the 3 cables out of the gold coloured pins, correct?

I then insert the cables from one end of the CA-42 cable into the gold pins?

Wrap each pin in electric tape and then insert into the back of the HDD?

Also if I pull out the original audio cables from the gold pins is it normal to have a few strands of cable still inside the pin? Its very small but it looks like when I pulled out the cable from the pin some strands must have remained, is this ok? Will it still work if I insert the CA-42 cable in there?

And finally whats the general consensus before I input this command "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" in HyperTerminal. Should I first power down the drive by turning the PSU off or is it okay to input that command without turning it off?

Thanks.

My 1TB Seagate hard disk was detected by BIOS but was shown as 0MB hard disk.

Before I read this fix, I upgraded the firmware from SD15 to SD1A

Now I tried the 0LBA fix and following is my result

After the command

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

But still the hard disk is shown as 0MB hard disk

So I tried the command

F3 T>m0,1,1,0,0,0,0,22

I got the result ending with

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 01, LBA 003BE6E2, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 35 mins 00 secs

DiagError 0000500D

User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 35 mins 00 secs

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 84400080, File Error 00000000

Blk Addr 01080001, Blk Addr Type 00, Cyl FFFE0000, Hd 5A

Please help

Edited by wonderaj

Cannot say. :unsure:

Try a CTRL+L:

http://www.msfn.org/board/seagate-barracud...-page-1105.html

and post results.

If there was a problem you should get this also:

http://translate.google.it/translate?u=htt...it&ie=UTF-8

TetonST Boot ROM 2.0

Copyright Seagate 2006

Serial FLASH boot code checksum failure!

before.

See if anything in the "commands" help:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...07-page-15.html

Doesn't CTRL+Z do anything?

jaclaz

CTRL+Z does nothing. CTRL+L blanks the screen. If I type anything other than the commands listed I get Bad cmd: 0x1a0d or some other hex error code. im thinking the board is in some kind of firmware loader mode.

hey guys...just to let u guys noe, i have successfully recovered my data by following this method here.

Much thanks to those who contributed here.

On the other hand, i'm now having another big problem. I bought the new 7200.12 versions and i am now having problems again.

Just wondering if anyone of u guys can help me HERE

Thanks. :thumbup

Hi,

I have a problem with a ST31000340AS drive. It was sent in to Seagate to have the firmware flashed/fixed but my drive still isn't recognized by the bios. They said is was flashed and something about bad sectors still on the drive that are preventing it from being recognized. It is part of a raid 0 array and I was just wondering what I could do. The drives both worked fine less than a week ago and only one drive randomly stopped working. Thanks

(I am Spanish, excuse my poor English)

I have read the entire forum in Spanish, and some of this but I have a problem and can not find the answer:

I have a DKU-5 "Made in Thailand" with 5 cables (red, black, white, blue and yellow), I installed the drivers of nokia and appears in fact as COM4 when i connect it. (In the system appears as "Port 1 on Nokia Adapter (COM4)" )

I installed HyperTerminal Private Edition 6.3 and I set it up correctly (.. com4, 38400 8-N-1 N), but when i attempting to connect the cables between them to find Rx and Tx, (and clicking the keyboard) i never see any response in HyperTerminal ...

Someone could help me?

Thank you very much.