The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

@nino do you mean the "tube" around the blue cable? like at the pic

01102009050o56h.jpg

@klingklang

is this the correct setting for my cable? I have numbers at the "cable board" 1 2 3 4. So can I be shure they are equal to the numbers at the picture?

00325hb.jpg

Edited by PDogg

Okey i have done everypart in the guide succsesful but when it comes to:

"Power OFF/ON the drive (very important!)

Wait 10 seconds and now Power ON your drive.

Press CTRL+Z on terminal and type:"

The terminal wont let me type after i pressed CTRL-Z. What can be wrong? I am still connected.

*edit*

Okey this is unbelievable. I successfully restored my harddrive!! Something made my cable disconnect and loose all my drivers to the cable when i disconnected the power from the harddrive in "Wait 10 seconds and now Power ON your drive". I reinstalled the drivers from this page: http://www.the-stickman.com/files/irda-ma6...ivers-Dynex.zip and went to hyper terminal again. I tried to connect and it connected but i couldn't type anything. After a little research i tried to change the com port on hyper terminal to the same as the one that was given by Windows. I tried CTRL+Z again and it worked! I just resumed with the "m0,2,2,,,,,22"- command and pressed enter. Then i got the successful format message and replugged the harddrive to the computer and rebooted. And it worked.

I am so happy i didn't think i would made this but i did it, and i am so glad. I want to thank everyone on this forum that are charing all you thoughts and infos. And i want to thank Nitrohelix that made this video that made everything so simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

Thank you

Edited by nino

@klingklang

is this the correct setting for my cable? I have numbers at the "cable board" 1 2 3 4. So can I be shure they are equal to the numbers at the picture?

00325hb.jpg

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

That is the schematics for ANOTHER adapter!

We have NO way from a distance to know which is which.

You need to find it yourself, by using a multimeter and experimenting (or, as SEVERAL times advised to less-than-fully-knowledgeable people, buy a "real" TTL adapter, with KNOWN pinout).

The only one that is obvious from the picture you posted is that the black wire (that goes to number 5 ) is the GROUND.

Check the FIRST image here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=881965

Open the "other end" of the cable.

Check that Pin1 in the picture is connected to the black wire (and to number 5 on the board).

Check that possibly Pin5 in the picture is maybe connected to green wire (and to number 1).

...and so on.

The Chip is a prolific PL-2303-HX, here is the datasheet/pinout:

http://www.stkaiser.de/anleitung/files/PL2303.pdf

verify with that pinout.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi every one, I'm new here, hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a seagate hard drive, Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb ST3500820AS Firmware SD25, in an external box of Iomega, connected via USB. A few days ago after a power down and on again, the windows xp couldn't recognise the partition on disk, giving me an unformated local disk. But if I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it again, nothing comes up, it is if there is nothing connected. My question here is, is it possible that my drive has this 0 LBA error or a BSY error? Or, how can I know it? I have updated the Firmware to SD1A, but it stayed the same. I'm still waiting for my RS232 to TTL converter to arrive, but I'm not sure if I can effectively apply this solution.

I have lost 500gb of data, any reply would be helpful. Thanks

I contacted Seagate and they told me to send the drive in for a replacement, but I don't care about the drive, but only recovering the data.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

That is the schematics for ANOTHER adapter!

We have NO way from a distance to know which is which.

It was my false checked it when I had read the post again. If someone have the same cable from Bluestar (Bluestar.pl) The setup is:

black GND, white RX, blue TX. At the first time I made a misstake and connected TX with TX and RX with RX (because I thought white is TX an blue RX). But it was ok. It destroyed nothing (only Hyperterminal wasn't able to communicate with the HDD).

:thumbupI fixed it with a ca-42 Cable annd a sheet of paper

So many thanks to Gradius 2, my77stang (overclock.net forum), the youtube guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM&feature=PlayList&p=B2DFC95751AC2830) and the other helpers :-)

To pffacf:

If your drive is not recognized in the bios, then it is in BSY mode.

If your drive is 0mb in bios, then it is in 0 LBA mode.

To PDogg:

Actually, the "Youtube Guy" is a girl.

If you look at the swiss army knife, its engraved with "Vanessa". :)

Edited by KlingKlang

Many thanks jaclaz for your prompt & clear reply concerning upgrading my SD35 firmware after recovery (your post 1971, p.99)

Seagate was not able to "help me" or should I say that they were reluctant to help ....

Thanks to all of you once again

JP