The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi to everyone, so im from Mexico and i have this problem too... the thing is that i tried to fix the disk with the nokia usb cable and everything goes really great with the connections and the hyperterminal instructions but when i swap disks and try to start my pc with the seagate it always gave me the same error "error loading operating system" i already change the Auto/Large options of the HD in the BIOS but nothing happen so please help me because i cant lose all the data (nearly 400gb) and also if somebody can give me some instructions in spanish i'll appreciated because my english is not that good... Greetings to everybody

hey guys,

i bought an orginal nokia-ca-42 cable. but it doesnt work, cause it was that one which is just an usb cable :(

so now i dont wanna buy a wrong wire again.

is here someone who wants to sell his equipment?

if u are interested please contact me. at the best u live in germany, so just mail me!

cheers :)

Hi to everyone, so im from Mexico and i have this problem too... the thing is that i tried to fix the disk with the nokia usb cable and everything goes really great with the connections and the hyperterminal instructions but when i swap disks and try to start my pc with the seagate it always gave me the same error "error loading operating system" i already change the Auto/Large options of the HD in the BIOS but nothing happen so please help me because i cant lose all the data (nearly 400gb) and also if somebody can give me some instructions in spanish i'll appreciated because my english is not that good... Greetings to everybody

You DON'T try to boot from the hard disk.

You check and see if it is detected by BIOS. (as SECONDARY drive)

If it is, go on booting from your "normal" working hard disk and check if Windows (or Linux) can access the partition or filesystem on the repaired drive.

If it does but you see "garbled" data, you may need to use a data recovery utility to check it's integrity, like TESTDISK:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If it doesn't, it means that the fix wasn't applied properly, simply did not work, or the drive suffers from ANOTHER problem (not the BSY, not the LBA0), and in any case you should try again to fix it.

SPANISH tutorial:

http://www.msfn.org/board/reparacion-del-s...06.html&hl=

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Sounds like your data has been damaged, Luyz.

Last time I got that message, it was on a laptop hard drive that got dropped one too many times.

Thanks Valkyrio i really hope i can recover all my data.

You DON'T try to boot from the hard disk.

You check and see if it is detected by BIOS. (as SECONDARY drive)

If it is, go on booting from your "normal" working hard disk and check if Windows (or Linux) can access the partition or filesystem on the repaired drive.

If it does but you see "garbled" data, you may need to use a data recovery utility to check it's integrity, like TESTDISK:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If it doesn't, it means that the fix wasn't applied properly, simply did not work, or the drive suffers from ANOTHER problem (not the BSY, not the LBA0), and in any case you should try again to fix it.

SPANISH tutorial:

http://www.msfn.org/board/reparacion-del-s...06.html&hl=

jaclaz

Thank you so much Jaclaz im gonna try this later when i return from work and i tell you what happen

Sounds like your data has been damaged, Luyz.

Last time I got that message, it was on a laptop hard drive that got dropped one too many times.

Thanks Valkyrio i really hope i can recover all my data.

You should check out what Jaclaz posted.

I booted both of my hard drives up once I updated the firmware, but that's because I knew both of them were okay other than the firmware. Try what Jaclaz said (booting another drive up and checking if you can access the drive you restored as secondary.)

To jaclaz : I am sorry, I wish I could provide you with more info, but I was never passionate about electronics (kinda hits me in the face now, though). My friend suggested that I buy five 35V 10uF capacitors because he said something like there's gonna be 12V + 12V on that thing which equals 24V. I couldn't find 35V 10uF capacitors but I found 25V 10uF capacitors so I figured they would work. He wasn't exactly pleased, but he said they should do the job.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, I'm not gonna give up. Gonna keep trying with your schematics, jaclaz

Thank you once again for your delightful insight on the issue!

Love&Peace!

To jaclaz : I am sorry, I wish I could provide you with more info, but I was never passionate about electronics (kinda hits me in the face now, though). My friend suggested that I buy five 35V 10uF capacitors because he said something like there's gonna be 12V + 12V on that thing which equals 24V. I couldn't find 35V 10uF capacitors but I found 25V 10uF capacitors so I figured they would work. He wasn't exactly pleased, but he said they should do the job.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, I'm not gonna give up. Gonna keep trying with your schematics, jaclaz

Thank you once again for your delightful insight on the issue!

Love&Peace!

Exactly where did you try buying the cable from?

Because you can do it with some cellphone cables...as well as USB to TTL. Are you absolutely sure you actually have to go through all this?

To maybe clear this latter issue.

@UzY3L

A capacitor has a capacity (;)) expressed in Farad (microFarad, picoFarad, etc.), just as a resistor has a resistance (;)) expressed in Ohms (kiloOhms, MegaOhms, etc.).

A capacitor has also another "parameter" Rated Voltage (expressed in Volts), i.e. you CANNOT use a 10 V rated capacitor on a 250 V circuit as it will simply POP out.

A 25V Rated Voltage is more than enough for that circuit, the capacity may be the problem.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Jaclaz, I meant adapter, not cable. In his first post he said he's building the adapter because he can't buy one as they don't ship to his country

Why make or even buy an adapter when you can just buy a USB to TTL cable?

Edited by valkyrio

Well.. until recently, I didn't even know you can connect a HDD via COM port let alone of a UBS to TTL cable. Indeed, that would be more convenient (if I can find a shop that sells it, that is). I never thought of that because I wanted to follow Gradius2's instructions. He said an adapter is the best way to go so that's what I stuck with. In the event that the adapter doesn't work, an USB to TTL cable sounds very good indeed.

Thank you both for your patience and your answers. They will help me a lot! I hope the next time I post here it will be with some good news.

Love&Peace!

Ok, the drives are 100%. :w00t::thumbup

I didn't loss anything, it went back to it were before BSY error (and I almost had a heart attack!).

This is a direct guide for BSY error, for details and more, check the 1st msg on this topic.

I received the stuff at 14:30h today as you can see here:

fix01.jpg

The one circled in red isn't necessary at all. In fact, is so tiny to connect those pins on Seagate, I was forced to give up on those plastics.

Here is the kit fully assembled it took me 20min, mounting those cables is really a pain:

fix02.jpg

Another angle:

fix03.jpg

With HDD connected (note I giving up on plastic connectores [circled in red on 1st photo):

fix04.jpg

The whole stuff complete to fire up:

fix05.jpg

And on this photo (above) is the TRICK here, see that little paper card (CR2032) ?

Yes! Just unscrew those around, and put a paper card or something to isolate the area (is the spin motor) like plastic, don't use anything that is an electric-conductor, after that you can turn ON everything.

You can work with just 1 screw, like on this photo (square in red):

fix06.jpg

On terminal you'll see nothing, just press CTRL+Z. And you'll get F3 T> prompt.

With PCB disconnected from HDA with a paper card (or similar), you'll see:

On terminal press CTRL+Z:

F3 T>

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>

Wait 5sec and remove the paper card, this will connect the PCB to HDA (spin motor), but since is in Spin Down state (from cmd), you'll feel nothing.

Now screw just enough to make a good contact between PCB and HDA (be real careful here, don't drop the screw, just be calm, relax!).

Then press CTRL+Z again:

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.457 secs (if you get this msg you did everything fine until here)

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T> <<< At this step you'll need to POWER OFF your HD for 10sec, and then POWER ON again. By power off, remove the SATA power (not PCB!).

When done, press CTRL+Z.

F3 T>

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 <<< This command takes a little over a minute to complete!

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

You did it! Congratulations! :ph34r:

Just turn off everything, and put your HDD on your lovely PC. :thumbup

Keep in mind TX and RX from Seagate are exactly like that, but on Seagate side.

Connect it this way:

PC (TX) > RX on Seagate

PC (RX) > TX on Seagate

The wires was inverted to me and I didn't get nothing, so I just reverted and finally got a terminal answer.

Gradius

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/01.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/02.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...c/connector.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/05.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/04.jpg

I'm new to this, so please excuse me if I screw this up.

Could someone please correct (edit) Gradius' post so that the pictures display. I'm trying to fix my HDD with his process and would really like to see the pictures.

Thanks

Edited by Bulldog77