The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello All,

After some searching and getting in touch with professional services I am able to find out a donor drive (which the professional services asked me to bring in).

It is the closest match I could get in the local market. I am posting the attributes of both the 'Patient' and the 'Donor' driver. Please tell me the possibility and compatibility of any sort of exchange (PCB, Head , Platter) for repair to be done by the professional service providers.

Patient Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Model: ST31000333AS

S/N : 6TE08QZ5

P/N: 9FZ136-568

Firmware: SD35

Date Code: 09204

Site Code: SU

PCB (printed on right corner of PCB) : 100512588 Rev A

Donor Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Model: ST31000333AS

S/N : 9TE20DDD

P/N: 9FZ136-301

Firmware: CC1H

Date Code: 09511

Site Code: TK

PCB (printed on right corner of PCB) : 100530756 Rev A

Secondly I am trying to establish the serial connection with the drive PCB. I am unable to find nokia CA-42 but I have found Nokia DKU-5 cable and have installed it with required drivers. It is shown as a virtual com port in the Windows Device Manager COM12 USB Data Cable (USB to UART ).

Just wanted to confirm that is it alright and can I work with it for the serial hyper terminal communication. Using a DKU-5 instead of CA-42.

Thanks and Regards for your help in advance.

Hey there good people can someone please tell me how to do a loopback test again? Please I can`t find the procedure. I`m dealing with a ca42 cable. Thanks to everzone for help.

Azaktro you have made a nice description.. congrats

Apparently there are different cable types with the same name: CA-42.

I bought a few days ago a CA-42 cable that ultimately does not work.

I bought it directly from Nokia.

Features:

2606200951921.png

2606200952010.png

2606200952050.png

2606200952213.png

2606200952302.png

Hello everybody.

I have a Solution to get this ca-42 kind of cable to work. I have the same!

Problem: Cable will not be detected from Windows when connected to the USB port.

Solution: Cut off the cell phone connector, and search the RED cable. Connect the RED cable to a +5V connection (e.G. the red cable of a molex or so). I used a 5Volt FAN adapter...

Now Windows will detect the CA-42 and it is listet in the device manager under "Modem".

I had made the same today and now my Seagate 7200.1 1TB will work fine. Thanks to all here in this forum :thumbup

BTW: Sorry for the bad english :-)

post-258705-1251818969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heast

Hey there good people can someone please tell me how to do a loopback test again? Please I can`t find the procedure. I`m dealing with a ca42 cable. Thanks to everzone for help.

Azaktro you have made a nice description.. congrats

Connect the RX and TX cable from the ca42 together. Now if you type a character in Hyperterminal it should be displayed 2 times!

But before you must activate under files->properties-> setting-> asci setup -> echo typed characters locally!

Hello,

To let you know, My HD Barracuda 500GB with firmware SD15 just died yesterday. (not detected in BIOS)

I chat with Seagate Technical Support, and the guy was aware of this problem, and gave me a case number and transfer me to the Recovery Department, and they told me to ship my disk (prepaid by UPS) and they will update my firmware for me and ship me back the disk (operational)...for free...

Martin

Hello,

To let you know, My HD Barracuda 500GB with firmware SD15 just died yesterday. (not detected in BIOS)

I chat with Seagate Technical Support, and the guy was aware of this problem, and gave me a case number and transfer me to the Recovery Department, and they told me to ship my disk (prepaid by UPS) and they will update my firmware for me and ship me back the disk (operational)...for free...

Martin

Sure. :)

But they are NOT responsible for:

• the theft, loss or however damaging of your drive (sure they - or the UPS guys - might either refund you or give you a new disk)
  • the recovery of data on the drive (of course they will attempt to revive the disk, but if anything goes wrong they will give you a nice, new, empty drive)

Unfortunately it has already happened:

http://www.msfn.org/board/seagate-barracud...-page-1154.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/seagate-7200-11-...4-page-223.html

Life is tough :(, everyone has to take his/her chances, in my personal estimation, the risk of the DIY is less than the "send it to Seagate" alternative.

jaclaz

Many thanks Gradius2 :thumbup , my Seagate ST31000333AS is now working again.

I get the same output as you with only one difference (see last line), but till now the hdd is working(backup-ing) ok..

If someone knows what that last line means...please let me know.

Again lots of thanks for this thread.

ÿ

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.131 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 8.381 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

F3 T>

Later edit:

I put SD1B firmware this morning, and I hope no others problems will apear.

Thanks again.

Edited by capdeguma

OK, I've made some progress. It was unclear to me before that I needed to connect the gnd wire from the battery to the PCB. That did the trick and I as able to hyperterm to the board.

Now I have a new issue.

I got to this part:

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board, as well as your TX/RX terminal wires, mount the board back on the HDA case. You must have the power connected when you do this.

Now type (to start the motor):

after I connected I typed F3 2>U (enter)

noting happened.

I appear to have lost the connection, so I powered everything down and started from the beginning.

However this time I am not able to connect, just blank screen when I CRTL+Z

Any suggestions on my next step?

Thanks

@jerry1091:

Till you start/Spin the motor you need to have the PCB and HDA not connected !

Use a piece of paper or thin plastic to put between PCB and HDA(head pin connections like here) - look in the link above for that card-stock,

What I did: before I started I removed all screws and put a rectangular-long piece of paper between PCB and HDA/head contacts, then I mount all screws beside the one exactly near the

HDA (do not tight all screws, will need to remove the paper - DO SOME TESTS WITHOUT POWER CONNECTED!)

As a note: after removing the paper the hyper-terminal connection stop(I cannot type anything) twice on my side, only 3rd time work, so you need to be smooth and quick.

cheers

Sabin

Edited by capdeguma

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

PASSPackage Verified

Send Status: COMRESET seen

LED:000000CC FAddr:00287949

LED:000000CC FAddr:00287949ð

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

PASSPackage Verified

Send Status: COMRESET seen

icant work plz hep with dku-5 i cant work

dis miseage show and reply

To both Gradius and fatlip......

THANK-YOU!!!!

I had to perform the optional step for my BSY, but it worked. Copying my data to my new drive now!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

One thing I would suggest putting in the BSY tutorial -

When placing the PCB onto the HDD housing, perform the U command quickly. If the drive fully spins up, you'll get hex error codes. The screws can be put in after the spin down command is executed.

Other than that, it went flawlessly! :)

Edited by alalien

I have been reading through all of this and I got to page 50 before I decided to just add a couple questions before I TRY to get my drive back up and running.

First some background information:

I have a GOOD STM31000334AS and a BAD STM31000334AS.

The bad drive is not seen in the bios and does make a bit of a clicking sound every 10 seconds or so. Seagate says that this is not a firmware issue and is a bad drive and just said to send it back for replacement. I don't want to do that until I am SURE that I can't get it fixed first.

I took the good board and put it on the bad drive and the drive is THEN seen in the bios but makes stranger sounds for 20 seconds and then system will not boot. I should note there that this is NOT my boot drive so not sure why vista won't boot. I unplug the bad drive and it boots fine.

So 2 questions to this point...

#1. Does anyone that has or had this problem (that got is sucessfully fixed) have a drive that makes a slight clicking sound? Is that normal?

#2. I just got a cable from a friend at Nokia and it's a CA-53 Nokia cable. WILL this cable work or has anyone tried using it?

CA-53 is here http://www.nokia.co.in/find-products/acces...kia-cable-ca-53

Thanks in advance for any insight that you can provide

BTW... The CA-53 has 4 wires inside it. Black / Red / White / Green.

Mark

Edited by Greenie17