The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I posted like others that my drive did not respond to the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command, that hyperterminal would just hang after attempting that command. I went through the thread and found Aviko's codes on pg 26. I retried the BSY fix using those codes and the drive responded fixing the BSY state. For those of you having an issue fixing the drive where it hangs after the rebuild command use the codes posted by Aviko, they work perfectly. So in short thanks to both gradius and aviko, whoever came first or last or whatever I was able to fix the drive!

I posted like others that my drive did not respond to the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command, that hyperterminal would just hang after attempting that command. I went through the thread and found Aviko's codes on pg 26. I retried the BSY fix using those codes and the drive responded fixing the BSY state. For those of you having an issue fixing the drive where it hangs after the rebuild command use the codes posted by Aviko, they work perfectly. So in short thanks to both gradius and aviko, whoever came first or last or whatever I was able to fix the drive!

Thx for the hint!

I remember to have read that page more than once, but I just didn't bookmark it and so I retried the well known method over and over again.

Wil try this in the next days. Drive was lying around the last week. Got another 500GB drive in the meantime which worked like a charm after a firmware upgrade and fixing some bad sectors in Seatools DOS edition. Will try that one again, using the large test, too, just to make 100% sure. Want to use it in Raid1 in the future, so it better be working.

My track record so far: 3x 500GB 8MB Cache Moose drives (2 restored), 1x 500GB 16MB Cache Moose drive (restored), 1x 1TB Brinks drive (still unusable).

So I got 3 working drives for the price of 2. Not bad for a simple student who doesn't have money to waste.

Excellent!!! :thumbup

It takes me 5 minutes to unblock my 500gb 7200.11

GREAT thanks for Gradius2 and for all of those who posted here. Specially those which wrote instructions below:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=857054

I Used CA-42 cable bought for 1.99 GBP (inc delivery) as per this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=874541

The only issue I had in the beggining was that I've connected Red cable (should be TX according to instructions) to RX on HD, Blue cable (should be RX according to instructions) to TX on HD and Orange cable (GND) to GND on HD and it doesn't work so I swap the cables and connected Red to TX on HD, blue to RX and didn't connected GND anywhere :yes: and it works great for me!

I am still unsure if I've connected cables other way round first time or are just colours different in my cable? :wacko:

Any way now, 400 gb of my "back from the dark side" data is been transfered to the external drive and I am thinking to upgrade 7200.11 drive...

Could any one let me know how to do it please?

Once again THANKS!

Oh dang it. I think I fried my RS232-TTL adapter. I got it to work and then while I was hooking it up to the drive, I accidentally re-hooked the RS232-TTL up to 12V, far too much. I think I'll try to order another one but does anyone here happen to live in the Houston, TX area that wouldn't mind aiding me with this? If not, I'll just wait for another one of these things to ship in from across the country, d'oh!

After 2 weeks I am finally trying to recover my 750Gb HD

It took a while because there's no way to make the USB AVIT cable to work on Vista64bit, so I had to find a partition to install XP, but XP have problems with SATA... etc etc.

So know I plugged in and did everything following aviko instructions, I've launched the commands

/2

Z

U

/1

N1

/

and then

m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

and I am waiting... it's been at least 15 minutes so far, I hope it is not deleting all my data....

should I go to sleep and wait till tomorrow ? I cannot turn it off and retry, right ?

---

UPDATE: 7 hours and still nothing, I will definetely retry :unsure:

Edited by devis

I posted like others that my drive did not respond to the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command, that hyperterminal would just hang after attempting that command.

when you say "hang" do you mean that nothing appears ? or do you receive an error ?

I've been waiting for 40 mins after the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command and I wonder if I can turn the disk off and retry from start.

The dku-5 cable worked for you?

captain0mike

reported that it didn't work with his laptop, only with "desktop PC":

Then you tried a (supposedly "no-name") CA-42

and it didn't work as well, correct? :unsure:

jaclaz

OK.. The First greenish cable i used was usb-to-usb not knowing the importance of TX/RX :( Second pic i've posted was cheap ca-42 that my frnd gave me he used that in older nokia phones models. I am on a desktop(c2d e6600, asus p5b dlx-wifi ap)

My current inventory holds:

Chinese CA-42 cable.

Nokia DKU-5 cable (ca-42 cable of nokia brand).

CA-53 cable

NokiaCables2a.jpg

NokiaCables3a.jpg

Source:

http://verizonwireless.howardforums.com/sh...ad.php?t=832865

NOW:I don't get this(It shows only COM1, as i use asus p5b dlx it already has a comport so this cannot be the usb port)

4. In hyper terminal , select the com port used by dku-5 cable , then set up as follows: 38400, N, 1 no flow control.

even after following these instructions:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...p%2Ft35412.html

It seems to me like the nice source you found:

http://verizonwireless.howardforums.com/sh...ad.php?t=832865

clears the matter remarkably well:

DKU-2: It is straight Pop-port to USB cable. It does not appear to have microcontroller or USB-serial bridge inside the cable. The cable connectors are in Black color.

CA-53: It is replacing the DKU-2, both are electrically identical but CA-53 is RoHS compliant without any hazardous material in manufacturing (more on this later). The cable connectors are in Gray color.

CA-42: It is replacing the DKU-5 for most newer compatible handsets. It eliminates the software emulation but doing the Pop-port to USB conversion right at chip inside the cable. No more virtual COM port will be installed and - which is totally different from DKU-5. It behaves more like a true plug-n-play when a handset is attached. Speed can go beyond the DKU-5's 115200bps limitation (at 230400bps). The cable connectors are in Blue color and the USB side is about 7cm in length, which is longer than DKU-2 or CA-53.

DKU-5: It is the older design with serial port emulation and there is a speed limit at 115200bps. NOT a good idea for today's high speed packet data connection. It is also very clumsy with the driver. The cable connectors are in Black color and the USB side is about 7cm in length, which is longer than DKU-2 or CA-53. Please note: the current version of Nokia PC Suite NO LONGER supports DKU-5.

First two DKU-2 and CA-53 are NO good. (NO chips inside them)

The DKU-5 is reported to be somewhat defective.

The original CA-42 is reported as NOT having a "Virtual COM driver".

As I see it, judging from the cards you have in your hands you have two options:

1. lose
  2. lose

:rolleyes::whistle:.

I am confused if the original Nokia cable (NOT the CA-53 which is NO good) is a CA-42 or a DKU-5, I am assuming it is the OLD DKU-5.

I would try the DKU-5 cable on a laptop (i.e. one without a hardware Serial Port) or try disabling the internal CPM port from BIOS on your desktop. :unsure:

From what is reported on the given site the OLD Nokia PC-Suite includes a driver that mounts the OLD DKU-5 to a Virtual COM port.

Did you already try installing it and see if it actually creates this additional COM port?

Alternatively, post the Vid & Pid of the "fake" Chinese CA-42.

More generally USB solutions should be reserved to people that have NOT a desktop with a "proper" RS-232.

A "normal" RS-232 to TTL converter, such as the one used in the re-known guide:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387&hl=

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

can be found for a handful of bucks, you don't have a problem with finding GROUND, TX and RX, and they do work.

Let us reason on the workflow:

1. PC (without Serial RS232 port): Hyperterminal->"Virtual Com Port Driver"->"USB driver"->"Real USB"->"USB to RS-232 Converter"->"RS-232 to TTL converter->drive (and back)
  2. PC (without Serial RS232 port): Hyperterminal->"Virtual Com Port Driver"->"USB driver"->"Real USB"->"USB to TTL converter->drive (and back)
  3. PC (with Serial RS232 port): Hyperterminal->"Com Port"->"RS-232 to TTL converter->drive (and back)

Common sense (and Murphy's Law ;)) tells us that the shorter path is more advisable: 3. is "better" than 2. and 2. is "better" than 1. (in the sense that there are less things that may go bad).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

my ingles is not a good please i'm sorry

i need know if a disk ide o sata the 80 gb or 160 gb is applicable this solution, i a prove 320 gb sata an funtion ok, but i dont not 80 or 160 gb, please if anyone know saying, thanks

my ingles is not a good please i'm sorry

i need know if a disk ide o sata the 80 gb or 160 gb is applicable this solution, i a prove 320 gb sata an funtion ok, but i dont not 80 or 160 gb, please if anyone know saying, thanks

NO.

NOT "exactly" this solution.

The internal "language" of older disks is different.

The connecting speed is different.

The general idea may work, but you need specific information for the specific drive model.

jaclaz

YES! I got my HD back!!

special thanks to gsustek and Yura, I wasn't able to fix my drive with the instructions found here so I got to http://forum.hddguru.com/tutorial-resolve-...ize-t11040.html (PART 2) and I was finally able to work it out!

#isolate PCB, power ON HD, connect, CTRL + Z

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.148 msecs

# put PCB back, DO NOT TURN OFF

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.667 secs

F3 2>/1

# S.M.A.R.T. erase

F3 1>N1

F3 1>

# power OFF HD, power ON HD, connect, CTRL + Z

# G-list erase

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

# power OFF HD, power ON HD, connect, CTRL + Z

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 10.683 secs

F3 2>

# power OFF HD, Done!

Edited by devis

hiya can't get the F3 T>

have the loopback test working ok and when i press ctrl-z i get the little arrow - is this to do with wires connecting that shouldn't be?

using victoria my drive doesn't get a busy light but an error i.e.

- unknown error

[ATA protocol] DRQ!!! Press RESET or restart HDD!

Get drive passport: drive error!

I tried this cos i couldn't get the F3 T> prompt when i hooked my dku-5 cable to it. I can do the loopback test no problem. also i can't hear anything when i connect the drive to power - should i be able to?

i've read all 89 pages of this thread and to be so close and yet so far away is crap. i'll keep trying though. anyone help me?

Edited by breadbin

Hello! From Toronto/Canada

I reported my successful Seagate HardDrive fix to http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html and he suggested that I also report it here; including the fact that I am quite willing to sell the required peripherals to anyone requiring them to remedy their Seagate as per the Thread (at the same cost that I myself have paid for them).

You can easily price these components at robotshop.ca where I originally purchased them.

Alternatively, I am willing to remedy your Seagate HardDrive for a small fee if you are local to Toronto. I say 'local' to Toronto meaning that you can avoid the cost of shipping your HardDrive to me by simply delivering it to my door. It may be that you could stay throughout the fix and leave with your HardDrive afterwards. The fix shouldn't take more than, say, 30 minutes at most.

But this is just a hurried idea that I thought I should throw in here ... I haven't really thought it through much. But after reading here about all the instances of people trying to negotiate through the instructions and having to source the required parts/peripherals to conduct the remedy, I figured that I could construct a ready-made configuration here where a person could simply drop in and hook up their failed drive to a pre-configured System and do the HyperTerminal communication and be on their merry way.

Anyways, all that I can say is that the instructions indexed here as well at the mapleleafmountain Site are more than sufficient to allow anyone to remedy their HardDrive. You really don't need me nor anyone else to hold your hand through it all. There is no need to be intimidated nor discouraged by the task. Trust me, it can very easily be done by following the instructions in this Thread.

When my own was remedied, all my data/files reappeared completely intact. Afterwards, I perfomed the Seagate Firmware Upgrade as instructed here too.

My HardDrive suddenly failed and was not at all recognized by BIOS nor OS.

I am running with Windows 2003 Enterprise x86; Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz.

I plugged in a Serial Port Header to the Serial Connector which was native to my ASUS MotherBoard;

the PowerSupply was sourced through a Molex Connector;

I used a Pololu Deluxe Serial Adapter from http://www.robotshop.ca/pololu-serial-adapter.html to communicate to the HardDrive using HyperTerminal.

This sure beats shipping your HardDrive to Seagate in the USA and hoping they leave your confidential data/files intact.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO MADE THE EFFORT OF CREATING THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

Edited by TorontoOntario

Hi guys.

If anyone has the cabling (RS232 converter etc) and is willing to sell me a completed kit, please email me at domlebo70@safe-mail.com. I live in Australia, and will pay for postage. Would appreciate this greatly, because I have a great deal of sensitive data (childhood photos etc).

Dom

Edited by domlebo70

I'm having trouble getting things started, no output in hyperterminal. When I press ctrl-z all I get is an arrow and nothing else. I've got it connected to rs232-ttl shifter through a straight-through serial cable. 2xaa batteries for power. I've tried swapping tx-rx, same result. Should I have something hooked up to the ground jumper on the drive's pcb?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone else's hard drive pcb gets hot, even when the hd motor is bypassed (with a card), specifically under where the main chip is.