The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

The usb-contact should contain some kind of circuit with some ic´s on it.

Your usb-contact looks like a third-party assembled cable and looks completey

different from mine. However, i can´t say it won´t work but i doubt it.

When you connect the cable to the computer, does the computer detect it as a new hardware?

If not, the chances are that is just a straight-thru usb-cable with out any circuits inside.

I can post some pictures of mine genuine cable tomorrow afternoon.

Hey thanks for reply, The ca-42 cable i have was for nothing a friend gave it to me but now i have a Nokia dku-5 but it doesn't show up as new hardware when connected to usb port(device manager screen shot attached) either. I remember when i used to connect my N70 then only it used to show as new device.

Based on the below links it seems i would not have to cut the cable, correct me if I'm wrong :)

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nok...op_pinout.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhonesCables/nok...le_pinout.shtml

post-242641-1249725984_thumb.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My drive is back!

Happy to hear another story of success (and the indirect confirmation that using the proper tools, even if you may spend a few bucks more, is to be preferred over saving but having an "uncertain" result, like all the Nokia "real" or "fake" ones, etc.).

:)

jaclaz

^^ I owned a N70 and the dku-5 cable came with it... there's no question of uncertainty being real or fake :(

The problems might not be caused by the question of real or fake cables, but rather by USB based timing problems. USB is known not to work too well in timing sensitive scenarios. Perhaps that's what is causing problems here. Just a guess, though. Will try to get my hands on a real Com-port to TTL adapter and use that directly, on some board that still has a native com-port..

^^ I owned a N70 and the dku-5 cable came with it... there's no question of uncertainty being real or fake :(

I lost your current situation. :unsure:

The dku-5 cable worked for you?

captain0mike

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1058

reported that it didn't work with his laptop, only with "desktop PC":

2. DO NOT USE LAPTOP with dku-5 cable,I did not get any connection in hyper terminal. DO USE desktop pc instead. the laptops wasted my whole night.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry855465

Then you tried a (supposedly "no-name") CA-42:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry873903

and it didn't work as well, correct? :unsure:

jaclaz

Wow,

I'm stunned that this has gone on so long and they are still selling these drives. Mine is dead too, not sure which prolem I'm am having, hopefully someone can help me out.

ST31000340AS

P/N 9BX158-568

Firmware: SD81

Date Code:09082 (This should translate to 3 Sep 08 production date)

Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB

My drive came out of a MAXTOR Cetral Axis NAS that died a while ago. I called Seagate and they authorized me to disassemble the device in order to recover my data. I put the drive in my XP machine hoping to recover the data using a LINUX tool (these Central Axis are all LINUX formatted) but it would not always see the drive in the BIOS. If it did see the drive I would get varing results in seeing the partitions and data using the EXT2 format viewers that I tried.

How can I tell which error I am having? 0LBA, BSY or other? I am sure that I can do the recovery as described in this post, just need a good start.

Wow,

I'm stunned that this has gone on so long and they are still selling these drives. Mine is dead too, not sure which prolem I'm am having, hopefully someone can help me out.

ST31000340AS

P/N 9BX158-568

Firmware: SD81

Date Code:09082 (This should translate to 3 Sep 08 production date)

Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB

My drive came out of a MAXTOR Cetral Axis NAS that died a while ago. I called Seagate and they authorized me to disassemble the device in order to recover my data. I put the drive in my XP machine hoping to recover the data using a LINUX tool (these Central Axis are all LINUX formatted) but it would not always see the drive in the BIOS. If it did see the drive I would get varing results in seeing the partitions and data using the EXT2 format viewers that I tried.

How can I tell which error I am having? 0LBA, BSY or other? I am sure that I can do the recovery as described in this post, just need a good start.

if you can get past the BIOS (even if only 1/5 of the time) then it's probably neither.

Have you tried doing a Firmware update?

Thanks for the reply,

I was seeing it in the BIOS intermittently for a while. It seemed that I could look in the windows system tool and see the drive there but just couldn't access it. Could it be a controller card issue? I was considering just buying an ebay'd drive to cannabalize the card.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Another success here!

I used a Nokia CA-42 cable to communicate with the drive. A little bit of info:

1) The wiring inside is as follows:

red: 5+v (get this from a spare molex connector - use the red wire)

black: ground - no need to connect this one.

blue/white: RX and TX

yellow: data ground. I didnt connect it and it worked. i guess that if you use the same power supply for the whole thing it makes it unnecessary.

2) follow the command list carefully and pe patient. It took 5 min. for me to get the answer. One time i disconnected it early so i had to do it all over again.

Good luck and thank you very very very much!!!

Another successfull 0 LBA fix! :thumbup

Thanks so much to Gradius for posting this solution.

I fixed my Seagate 7200.11 which contained photo's and video's of my baby daughter (yes I know: backup, backup, backup).

A short summary:

Used a cheap nokia CA-42 cable (euro 4,99).

Used a multi tester to find the RX en TX wires.

Used a soldering iron to connect the RX en TX wires to a jumper which fits onto the hdd.

Connected the hdd to a regular SATA power source.

Used Putty to connect to the hdd on Windows 7.

When I entered:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

The result was instant and showed:

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 0 secs

When I popped the hdd into my hdd dock everything was there!

I'm backing up my data as I'm writing this post. :whistle:

Good luck to everyone trying to resurrect their hdd.

Peter

Edited by pehe

@03Vette: If your data is important to you, you should consult using a professional service. If you are willing to take the risk, than I would suggest that you apply the 0 LBA fix first. It's less risky, and it i think that it will address the issue. Again, no one here can take any responsibility for your data, so don't blame anyone if something goes wrong... Good luck!

Edited by v0yAgEr

Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY (I recommend some practice before trying this):

Note: All commands are case sensitive !

First, make sure you have your hard drive accessible; on a table with open access to the drive is best.

Second, you need to remove the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) from HDA case using a Mini Torx 6 screw driver.

Third, connect RX & TX cables from your RS-232 adapter, verify that all is correct, and then connect the power supply to Hard drive circuit board.

Explanation: The problem with the drive is that the drive is stuck/halt in a BUSY state. This basically locks up the SATA port, causing the BIOS problem (cannot detect the drive at POST). In the terminal, you will see this sort of error (LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051). Once you see this in the terminal, the terminal session to the drive is completely blocked and will not accept any more commands. In order to circumvent this, we'll need to disconnect the PCB (circuit board) from the hard drive case so that the LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051 command cannot be sent from the firmware of the terminal session.

After you have connected the power to the circuit board, press CTRL+Z in your HyperTerminal session. You should now see a prompt like this:

F3 T>

If you do not see this prompt, check your RS-232 connections to the drive. (you may have the TX and RX flipped).

Now we'll need to access the Level 2, type:

F3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>

And type (to spind down the motor):

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)
F3 2>

Thank you a lot Gradius! I just fixed my drive with the BSY error. I do want to note that I skipped the first stage of the command send (quoted above) since when I send it with the board detached I received back a CE error. So what I did was to detach the board, type /2 to go to level 2, then with the power on, place it back to the hdd and type the U command to spin the drive back up and follow the steps as described.

I also used this MAX232 adapter to get this all working (using Windows XP and Hyper terminal) http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/MAX232-RS232-Serial...=item3a513c5336

I live in Singapore and it was hell trying to find an RS232 converter. I went to simlim tower to buy a USB to Serial converter and a VERY Expensive RS232 to TTL coverter. This rig ended up not workign at all so I wasted $70. The link above cost around $15 including shipping and it works great. Need to attach a 3V battery to the rig. I bought a 2xAA holder and soldered it on.

I hope this helps someone else.

Regards,

v0yAgEr,

Thanks for the reply, I think I will risk it. I don't have a real high level of trust in those services and I am more fearful of shipping my drive somewhere else and then finding out that they don't know what they're doing. I completely understand that this is on me, but I do appreciate all of the experience from the group here.

I guess my only question is, should I use the process from the first post or are there a set of steps that work better (ie. better hardware setup, commands etc.)?

03Vette