The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

What I am wondering is I found this and wondering if it is suitable for the connections

It's strange, that appears as a USB to RS232 converter, TTL does not appear in the product manual, on the other hand it seems like having TX and RX ports both for 3.3 and 5V level. :unsure:

If it's only a USB to RS232, it would ADDITIONALLY need a RS232 to TTL converter.

This is a "normal" USB to TTL converter, it seems to me that this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PC-USB-Serial-to-RS...=item4147957318

was already used successfully

Or one of the "Nokia" cables discussed at length in the thread.

jaclaz

My drive is under warranty and I could get them to send me a new drive before I return mine.

Would it work to just take the board off the new drive, put it on my old one and get the data off it?

Does anyone fancy selling me their recovery cable that they are now finished with? I've had 2 abortive attempts at making one, first with a Nokia CA-42 cable that I bought off eBay, which proved to be the wrong version of the CA-42, and then with a DKU-5 cable which was useable by Hyperterminal the first time I tried but has failed to work since.

I'd be happy to pay £15 (having already forked out as much on my 2 abortive attempts thus far :( ) using paypal and am UK based. Once my drive is recovered, I'd be happy to return the cable to it's original owner or recycle it into the community as the seller sees fit.

Here's hoping...

My HD died 4 days ago. I see that on all internet only you people here got some real suggestions on how to get it done. I'm from Croatia and if anyone else is, and has managed to fix his seagate please PM me. I would also like to buy the stuff that I need.. it is very hard for me to find all I need. Congratulations to everyone that succedeed.

Hi there people!

I just bought a Nokia "CA-42" cable.

It seems like there is working and non-working CA-42-cable.

I would be grand if someone could help me to determine if my

cable will work. It is a genuine Nokia-cable, Made in thailand.

I´ve read somewhere on this thread (page 79 i think), who managed

to recover the data with this cable.

However, the questions are:

1) How do i know which cable is the working one? Mine isn´t recognized

when inserted in the usb-host as a new device, could it need extra power

from a battery to work?

Yes, use a 3V battery or other power source and the CA-42 cable is detected

in windows as a "Nokia Parent Phone Modem". Connect +3V to pin 5 and battery negative

to pin 1.

2) Where are the power supposed to be connected to if necessary, what pin?

The 3.3v should go in on pin 5, if you counts from the middle of the pins.

Thats is the second longest pin, that are surrounded by pins.

Apperently there are different colors on the wires, so cut the cable at the phone end and

use a multimeter to figure out which pin is connected to which cable.

Correct pinout for the Genuine Nokia CA-42 is:

Pin 1 = Ground (Black)

Pin 2 = Tx (White)

Pin 3 = Rx (Blue)

Pin 4 = ??

Pin 5 = +3.3v (Red)

Pin 6 = ?? (Yellow)

See post #1583 for further details!

Regards, KlingKlang

PM me if you need any more help with this cable..

Thanks Gradius2, Fatlip, pichi and all the rest of you who made this guide! :thumbup

Edited by KlingKlang

I Thank you who ever came with this fixed. What worked for me was the RS232 to TTL adapter which I got on eBay for like 5$ Canadian, a RS232 cable which I got from my local electronic store for 4$ Canadian, to power the drive and the RS232 to TTL adapter I used the 5 volt of my external hard drive adaptor which is a Molex connector for IDE hard drive. And to connect the cables I used a CDROM audio cable.

At first I had issues powering the adapter since the specs on eBay says that it can be powered by 3.3v or 5v so I used a battery holder for 2 AA battery which power the RS232 to TTL adapter but was not enough to work cause I wasn’t getting anything at the HyperTerminal software when I was typing the first command which was CTRL+Z. after being frustrated for hours I try powering the RS232 to TTL adapter form a 5V current and it worked like magic. Than I had a second problem when I was reaching at command F3 2>U it kept failing. I was about to give up then I remember from another post some one mention to clean the contacts which I did when I try it was like music in the air...

I was so trying to have this issue resolved that I try replacing the PCB board from a working hard drive of the same model and that didn’t work instead I was getting knocking sounds from the drive which I worried it mess-up something inside.

I’m a programmer and I practically save everything on this drive and never thought of backing up my files, this time I’ll do it everyday!!!!

hi guys. i need help with my HD. I have BSY error. I made all the connections. I didnot see com 2 port when running the hyperterminal. I tried com4 port which seems to be working . The problem is that once i establish connection via hyperterminal. the hyperterminal window goes crazy. It will start showing me different symbols, letters, greek letters and so on. it will keep running and ctrl z wont do anything. I am not sure why i am not getting the same screen as all other participants in this forum can see. Any help will be appreciated.

shahrose

hi guys. i need help with my HD. I have BSY error. I made all the connections. I didnot see com 2 port when running the hyperterminal. I tried com4 port which seems to be working . The problem is that once i establish connection via hyperterminal. the hyperterminal window goes crazy. It will start showing me different symbols, letters, greek letters and so on. it will keep running and ctrl z wont do anything. I am not sure why i am not getting the same screen as all other participants in this forum can see. Any help will be appreciated.

shahrose

Most likely you have incorrect speed of the connection or, more probably, GROUNDing problems, check here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1547

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1661

Do loopaback tests BEFORE coonecting the disk drive.

jaclaz

Hello!

I have got a BSY-problem at first. I try the secound way (with a sheet of paper between the contacts) and it works:

I put it in a USB-SATA Box and i see all data on my notebook. After this i put it back in my computer and i get the 0GB -problem.

But when i try: "m0,2,2,,,,,22" i get:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

...and on the label is it a "ST3500320AS), but in the Bios (and in the USB-SATA Adapter) is it now a ST3500620AS ?

Please help me!

Thank you very much!

Bonkers

Hi again.

I note that after the initial impact still appear defective hard disk.

I successfully solved the problem with the help of this website.

I am indebted.

I'm making some guides as a summary of the most important texts, and other awards.

All this in a visual way to help with whatever you can to those responsible for this forum

specifically to solve specific issues.

The reading of all contributions is long, not only here, on the Internet too.

I did and took my conclusions.

I do not write English correctly, but I read it well.

I will also downloadable PDF files in spanish, for to compare texts.

Some items of my personal notes are:

Discussion about Nokia and other cables.

Using RS232 to TTL CMOS Converter.

Welding easy.

Connecting to Hyperterminal and errors.

Hardware components needed.

I take few days to write the topic, but your data is there.

Greetings.

On specific topics:

Not all cables are used for mobile phones

Some carry a chip on the same cable: IDEAL "Hardware Found".

Others have the chip in the mobile phone is a simple USB cable.

Nokia cable perfect for this case does not need extra power, making the USB port.

Hi

is there in London someone who could help to unlock a dead Seagate ST3500320AS 500Gb SD15 ?

I've read a lot of messages and the next step would be start searching for cables (or paying a company :} ) but I was wondering if someone having all the stuff would like to help me.

I've already downloaded and tried the firmware upgrade but it does not work (0 devices found).

-------

Otherwise, could someone give me a link to buy a USB cable (the nokia adaptor) and anything else is needed ?

Just in case it may be needed: it's a 64bits system with WinVista 64bits (the died drive is my Linux desktop).

Thank you / Grazie!

Devis

P.S. eventuali consigli in italiano sono graditissimi!