The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi Jhothagondyaz, Firstly many thanks for your response it's very much appreciated.

post-251167-1247311326_thumb.jpg

this was the result i got back when i attached the 320gb drive at 9600bps but when i do the same at 38400 8-N-1 with the 500gb i don't get any response form the drive. Any ideas?

The GND wire is connected?.

The hard disk makes strange noises?

The operation of the disk is normal?

Put your hand over it a bit.

GND connected - yes

no noises

operations normal - gets detected in bios once only

hand over - spinning, no heat

i tried isolating the head as well, still the same.

Edited by SAFIX

this was the result i got back when i attached the 320gb drive at 9600bps but when i do the same at 38400 8-N-1 with the 500gb i don't get any response form the drive. Any ideas?

Did you wait a few seconds and then issue a CTRL Z ? :unsure::

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

With the data wires plugged in from the drive to the serial adapter pins, it's time to plug the SATA power connector from your power adapter into the drive that has been prepared with the cardstock. Once you've done this, wait about 15 seconds and hit CTRL-Z (that's the CTRL key and Z key simultaneously) in your HyperTerminal session. What should appear on the screen follows below.

jaclaz

This adapter uses four lines: +5 V (or +3.3 V), GND, RX and TX.

jaclaz thank you for joining in with you help

maybe this is my issue but when i use the inter face on another drive it works but i just checked the interface without it being connected i get 0.8v (maybe suspect) i do have another usb to serial but this voltage output is 6.2v which i think it's way to high but then i know this usb - serial converter is 100% working, is any way i can reduce the usb converter voltage to use on the drive.

Dell said:

Please note that if your drive is connected to an add-in or onboard controller designated for SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) then you will need to connect your drives to the onboard SATA controller to perform the update.

It's already connected.

i'll try that Jaclaz but i just noticed that the RX TX voltage output is 1.2v is this to low?

Yes, it is too low on the RX and TX lines, but it depends greatly on how you measure it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor...ransistor_logic

All standardized common TTL circuits operate with a 5-volt power supply. A TTL input signal is defined as "low" when between 0 V and 0.8 V with respect to the ground terminal, and "high" when between 2.2 V and 5 V[12] (precise logic levels vary slightly between sub-types). TTL outputs are typically restricted to narrower limits of between 0 V and 0.4 V for a "low" and between 2.6 V and 5 V for a "high", providing 0.4V of noise immunity.

jaclaz

i'm using a scope meter to do my measurements and i'm sure my interface is working output is at 4.80v. i plugged an older 320gb HD in and it seems to read the output data.

here the 320gb result

post-251167-1247321306_thumb.jpg

is the HD fried?

Edited by SAFIX