The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi!

I've read a lot of posts in this thread and I still don't think I quite understand. :( Did anyone ever get around to making a video?

You don't want a video (which is a good thing, but NOT for these kind of things, where a missing comma may be a BIG problem)

You want a clear, illustrated, step by step tutorial which you can print, read, re-read and understand before trying...

...which you can find here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387&hl=

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi,

I am sooo glad to have found this forum.

I have a Seagate 7200.11 (ST3500620AS) that came with my computer that I received for my birthday (Jan. '09) with HP 24 Firmware.

During the middle of June, I rebooted after noticing that the computer was frozen. It would not boot successfully. BIOS could not detect the HDD. Futureshop couldn't do anything (other than replace it - but I lose the data). The motor powers up and spins, so I think it's stuck in the BSY state.

I have ordered a CA-42 cable and am reading the forum while waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, is there anyone in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area who'd be willing to give me a hand? I am going to Toronto for this weekend (July 10-12), so if there's anywhere in TO willing to help please let me know, too.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello,

This looks like my only choice, after my freeagent USB desktop froze and won't be detected by my computer anymore.

The drive is in fact a Barracuda 7200.11 500Gbytes Firmware SD35.

I will try the procedure you guys talk in this forum, and post results after.

Cheers.

The USB to UART adapter from Alldav seems to work alright. Just remember to buy header pins and have a mini-B USB cable handy. The drivers can be found at the FTDI page (I'll add a link later). If my fix goes as planned, I'll post here.

Also, can anyone tell me what happens within the drive AFTER the BSY sig is cleared? Will upgrading the firmware prevent any future mishaps or should I always be weary of this thing? Sorry if this has been answered already but I'm not going to wade through 80 pages of posts.

Best of luck to all of you.

EDIT:

Adapter - http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=21

FTDI - http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Use the link for 2.04.16.

Edited by bowbe

Also, can anyone tell me what happens within the drive AFTER the BSY sig is cleared? Will upgrading the firmware prevent any future mishaps or should I always be weary of this thing? Sorry if this has been answered already but I'm not going to wade through 80 pages of posts.

The answer is 320 ;)

NO, with the new firmware it shouldn't happen anymore. :)

See here (posts from 1034 to 1049 :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...092&st=1033

and this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...092&st=1061

(for a pretty much unuseful :unsure:, but nice graphic :yes: )

jaclaz

Hi!

I've read a lot of posts in this thread and I still don't think I quite understand. :( Did anyone ever get around to making a video?

there's one in the youtube but not complete yet...i'm also looking for one.

I sent back my HDD to Seagate for free data recovery for those affected by BSY bug...everyhting is free including the shipping fee. UPS went to my doorstep to pickup my HDD. I saw that $42 is the cost of shipping it back and Seagate paid for it. After 5 days, they wrote me a letter...

" Please be informed that upon our Engineers findings, your hard drive cannot be upgrade as the drive is making a clicking sound. Therefore, your hard drive failed not because of a firmware issue but a drive related issue.

Here are two options, that you may consider

1) Do you want us to sent you the drive back for you to do your own data recovery at your own cost, or

2) We will arrange for a new replacement hard drive to be shipped to you

Please choose one of the options and let me know"

I am sure that my HDD is not clicking (I can feel by touching that it's just spinning...) when I sent it to them. Mine is 500GB 7200.11 model: ST350032AS fw: SD15. Bios just can't recognized my HDD and I know it's a BSY bug! I just don't know what to do. Maybe they are right...or maybe they just don't know how to fix the way you do it here...or maybe they just don't wanna waste time and effort, and replacing it with a new one is the easiest way to solve my problem. They gave me this tracking number and upon checking it, my HDD haven't reach them yet. How come they made an assessment already??? Up to now, I have no answer. I wanna try to fix it but I'm thinking, "what if they're right? they have expert technicians for sure."

Edited by tssalgado

My board arrived ( shown here : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=360166176686 ) and I tried it last night with no success. I could get the loopback to work fine, but in Hyperterminal with the live drive connected ( with the cardstock between the motor contacts ) it would just return a little > arrow everytime I typed CTRL Z. It was definitly reading something from the drives PCB Board as turing the drive on and off netted a bunch of wild characters.

My two concerns today on retrying it are that I used a 3V coin cell as described. Measuring the actual voltage its 2.83V. It was enough to make the loopback work, but could the voltage be an issue when talking with the drive? Today I'm going to just use the 5V from the floppy connector as a starting point.

I also noted that once all was connected together to try the live fix, hyperterminal was still acting as if I had a loopback in. Whatever I typed was being displayed. I checked to see if the little pins of RX/TX on the driver were somehow touching, but it didn't seem so.

Any thoughts or if you know of a page in this thread with a similar Hyperterminal issue it would be greatly appreciated if you could point me in that direction.

Ryan

" Please be informed that upon our Engineers findings, your hard drive cannot be upgrade as the drive is making a clicking sound. Therefore, your hard drive failed not because of a firmware issue but a drive related issue.

Here are two options, that you may consider

1) Do you want us to sent you the drive back for you to do your own data recovery at your own cost, or

2) We will arrange for a new replacement hard drive to be shipped to you

Please choose one of the options and let me know"

It seems to me like a fairly "standard" "autogenerated" reply, this summed with the following:

They gave me this tracking number and upon checking it, my HDD haven't reach them yet. How come they made an assessment already???

makes me think that it is a "glitch in the matrix", i.e. the auto-responding/auto-e-mailing system that sent you the wrong kind of letter. (maybe it was programmed by the same guy that programmed the software leading to the 320, and that was demoted to Customer Assistance :blink:)

If I were you I would write them asking (politely ;)) how the heck they managed to hear the clicking sound since the drive is actually still in the hands of UPS. :w00t:

Or they directly outsourced the engineering department to UPS? :realmad:

Or possibly UPS not only has a fairly messed up tracking systems :unsure:, but also one of the delivery guys dropped your hard disk to ground.....:whistle:

jaclaz

Measuring the actual voltage its 2.83V.

It's low for proper working.

That board IC "likes" a minimum of +3 V, and has NO problems up to 5.5V:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1069

Use 3 AAA or AA batteries=÷4.5V if "normal" or =÷3.6V if "rechargeable" (if you are afraid of connecting a "full" +5V from a motherboard or if you incur in "grounding" problems)

jaclaz

The drive is back up and running now. But...

Have any of you had problems installing the firmware afterwards? I have done everything I can think of to get the Dell DE13 upgrade (R213714) going, but it doesn't do anything. It boots up to three lines of console, then boots directly into Vista. I've tried running directly from command (says conflict with 32bit/64bit), the boot CD, and the boot USB options...

Anyone with some tips?

Hi All, I need some assistance please!

My seagate is in BYS state, it detects in the bios once and then enters the BSY state. I've built the MAX 232 interface but i'm still having issues communicating with the ST3500320AS SD15 drive, i can do a loopback test and i have tried the interface on a seagate 200gb drive and i seem to get a response from that but i can't get the same response from the ST3500320AS. I'm i doing something wrong or is my HD fried? Please can someone advise.

Edited by SAFIX

The drive is back up and running now. But...

Have any of you had problems installing the firmware afterwards? I have done everything I can think of to get the Dell DE13 upgrade (R213714) going, but it doesn't do anything. It boots up to three lines of console, then boots directly into Vista. I've tried running directly from command (says conflict with 32bit/64bit), the boot CD, and the boot USB options...

Anyone with some tips?

Dell said:

Please note that if your drive is connected to an add-in or onboard controller designated for SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) then you will need to connect your drives to the onboard SATA controller to perform the update.

My seagate is in BYS state, it detects in the bios once and then enters the BSY state. I've built the MAX 232 interface but i'm still having issues communicating with the ST3500320AS SD15 drive, i can do a loopback test and i have tried the interface on a seagate 200gb drive and i seem to get a response from that but i can't get the same response from the ST3500320AS. I'm i doing something wrong or is my HD fried? Please can someone advise.

You can expand the information in detail?

You can expand the information in detail?

I have followed the instruction as yo how to connect the RX TX from the interface to the HD's TX RX.

I have some spare drives but not the same as the ST3500320AS SD15, when i connect the ST3250310A to the interface i can read info coming from the ST3250 but not ST3500. all terminal settings is as described on post #1. The out put voltage is of the interface is just under 5v, there was a moment were there was a response but i can't seem to get back to that stage i'm checking over my circuit to make sure it's working 100%.