The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi to you all

Thank you for sharing the info to solve this problem.

I read the whole thread and printed out the important pages to help with the proccess.

I purchased a CA-42 Data lead, but unfortunateley it was the type that required a 3.3v supply from the phone.

After a lot of testing with the multimeter I managed to find the correct wires which were:

Ground.... Black

TX/RX.....White/Blue

The 3.3v needed to be connected to the ..... Green

With this combination I was able to use the method put forward by Gradius2, the proccess worked flawlessly and I'm now back up and running.

Many thanks to Gradius2 for his method and to all others for their excellent input.

I'm now going to upgrade the firmware which I have just downloaded form the Seagate Site as an ISO.

To all those still working on the problem good luck and don't give up it does work.

MediaStar

Thanks to the person that made this guide, it helped to get my data back, but now i have a new issue my st31000333as SD15 i cant upgrade the firmware does anyone know what to do?

Edited by kraden

My DKU-5 it´s a real DKU-5 cable or a fake cable? I have opened the cable and i see only this, will don't be suppose have a chip PL-2303?

dsc00272jy7.jpg

dsc00270xy7.jpg

Help me.

i think i have the same problem with this guy...the windows cannot recognize this cable even the driver is properly installed already...i'm wondering, is there another version of dku-5 other than this?

could anyone help,i'm using the same cable as the above photo... the cable can't be recognize by pc even installing the driver...will this type of dku-5 work? i also found a fake ca-42 with the photo below, i'm just not sure if this will work? ....help!!!

ca4202.gif

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs (final and revised version):

Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY

Gradius

Thank you Gradius. With cable for mobile phone and your instruction it takes 10 min to bring back hard disk.

I think that this cable is fake or PL2303 is in connector for mobile phone. Windows must recognize USB device when you connect to USB port. Go to shop and ask people to connect cable to computer and show you that windows recognize cable as new device. If PL2303 is in connector for mobie phone you should solder wires to pins of this connector, not to cut cable like in second picture.

Edited by philip_z

I think that this cable is fake or PL2303 is in connector for mobile phone. Windows must recognize USB device when you connect to USB port. Go to shop and ask people to connect cable to computer and show you that windows recognize cable as new device. If PL2303 is in connector for mobie phone you should solder wires to pins of this connector, not to cut cable like in second picture.

Thanks philip _z :thumbup

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand from what you have said is that:

If PL2303 is in the connector for mobile phone, then windows will not recognize the cable when inserted?

If PL2303 is inside the USB connector, then windows will recognize it when inserted?

What's happening to me is that windows can recognize but asking for the driver. So when you connect it to the PC, you can see a "?" in device manager under USB serial controller

Edited by tssalgado

- When you connect a simple USB cable to your computer without any kind of device, nothing happens

and our computer does not tell us anything. We will not see any message.

- If the USB cable at the other end takes a hard drive for example: Our system will tell us that

has found new hardware.

- If you connect the USB cable that carries a chip Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port: Our system will tell us that

has found new hardware.

- If the drivers are not installed, the system will ask.

- If the drivers are installed, we will see a new COM port.

36483360.png

25177483.png

96641888.png

40328280.png

Thanks philip _z :thumbup

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand from what you have said is that:

If PL2303 is in the connector for mobile phone, then windows will not recognize the cable when inserted?

If PL2303 is inside the USB connector, then windows will recognize it when inserted?

What's happening to me is that windows can recognize but asking for the driver. So when you connect it to the PC, you can see a "?" in device manager under USB serial controller

You are wrong - it doesn't matter at which end of cable is PL2303, but you cannot cut cable between 2 connector if chip is in connector for cell phone. If chip is in USB connector you can cut cable and connect to hard disk. Windows will recognize cable like serial com port even WITHOUT cell phone connected. If not - than cable is fake. In previus post driver part is described very well - I can't tell you nothing more. If you need driver go to http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Edited by philip_z

@jhothaqonyaz & phlip_z: thanks so much...now i know, with prolific my pc can now detect the cable as com3...I've been looking for this driver, thanks to you!

My problem now is I don't know where the PL2303 is. After stripping both ends, where do you think it is located? I think mine is different from the previous page although we have the same box for dku-5...

DSC_0011-2.jpg

Edited by tssalgado

Hey everyone, I've had my 1TB 7200.11 in BSY state since March this year and I've finally gotten around to trying to recover my data.

I'm using the following to communicate with the HDD:

imgp0305-small.jpg

I have been trying to use the USB connector, I can loopback just fine, but it doesn't show anything in HyperTerminal when connected to the hard drive.

Has anyone else used this same converter or have any help/advice?